Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,903 members, 7,810,473 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (348193 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 10:10pm On Mar 25, 2010
m.i:

Hiii! could someone please help me with the recipe for egg-stew? you know, the kind they eat with boiled/fried yam/plantain? I have never gotten it right, and where i am, it's one of the few things that i can make with the ingredients available, i LOVE the stuff! and i am incredibly homesick sad

A friend makes it, i'll see if i can talk her into letting me know the secret.

will tackle the meatpies upper weekend.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by hilli666(m): 10:25pm On Mar 25, 2010
Amaka, I have now promoted you to "aunty Amaka". From now on every body who has a question must adress you as "Aunty Amaka" (As per Nigerian tradition) So let me go first.

Ehem (I must clear my throat)

Dear Aunty Amaka,

Yesterday I tried to cook "Ewa agoyin" and failed miserably. My previous successes using your recipes had caused quite a stir amongst my friends and family, so when I invited them over for dinner yesterday, they all showed up even bringing friends with them. But to their disappointment, the beans turned out to be a total disaster, I had to end up ordering Chinese for every body. However I vowed for a re-match and swore to conquer this illusive "Ewa agoyin" in front of a packed audience this weekend. Secretly I knew, i would have to consult the great "Aunty Amaka" because with your blessings and wisdom, all dishes are possible, with you on my side even and average man like my self can make miracle's occur in the kitchen. So once again how can I make "Ewa Agoyin"? I remember eating it a lot in Lagos. Please Aunty Amaka I wait for you reply.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by maqicq: 11:35pm On Mar 28, 2010
maggi e-book, coutiercc@gmail.com would love to receive a copy, and yes, a cook book would be a great idea. Those who have one why not share how and where you got it from?
Cheers
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tobz(f): 10:12pm On Apr 12, 2010
Hi Amaka,
Pls can u tell me where there is a good cooking school in lagos, or if u give classes?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by PatKing(f): 2:21pm On Apr 23, 2010
hi Amaka,
ur thread has been doing me good in my kitchen!
weldone.
Pls, can U forward me the e-book on Maggi cooking recipe?
email is preshee1@yahoo.com
thank you very much.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Michelle01: 7:41pm On May 05, 2010
Does anyone have a good idea on how to make spicy snail as a snack,
Re: Nigerian Recipes by temibobo(f): 5:11pm On May 14, 2010
Just tried out a chin chin recipe i found on here.(2 thumbs up) And the suya recipe from Amaka was wonderfull and more than delicious. tongue tongue tongue , as u can see in the pic, who need plate, an old newspaper is what u need to serve suya in.LOL

Re: Nigerian Recipes by temibobo(f): 5:13pm On May 14, 2010
and a pic of the chin chin,

Re: Nigerian Recipes by labonte: 11:17pm On May 18, 2010
Pls can u forward the e-book on Maggi cooking recipe and a cook book. my email address is b_luv77@yahoo.com or moloko@live.co.uk. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by 4sure72(f): 8:14pm On May 22, 2010
can anyone tell me about curry sauce pls
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Achos: 11:11am On Jun 08, 2010
Amaka pls i nid d ingredients n method of preparing Coconut Rice, pls help me cos am really desperate. Thnx
Re: Nigerian Recipes by jovi: 12:02am On Jun 10, 2010
Amaka, pls recipe for peppered snails, thanks, or any other snails delicacy,
Re: Nigerian Recipes by mrspepeye: 3:51pm On Jun 13, 2010
dear amaka, i just came across ur posts and God bless u for all u have done, please please and please that is if u are based in the uk, do u do party rice and all if u do how can we get in touch to place orders on food please thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 21, 2010
Efo Riro (yoruba style vegetable soup)

source : http://littlemissgastronome..com/

Ingredient

* Red bell pepper (2)

* Onion large (1)

* Scotch Bonnet (1)

* Spinach fresh bunch (2)

* Dried African prawns (1 cup)

* Palm Oil (1cup)

* Knorr cube(3 cubes)

* Salt 1 Tsp

* Locust beans (1tsp)

* Meat/fish ( a subject of preference) I used Shaki  (tripe), dried cat fish, stock fish, ox tail and ponmo in  featured soup

Preparation

1. In a blender, combine peppers, scotch bonnet, onions; grate (you don’t want it to be smooth)
   2. Parboil blended pepper for 20mins ( the purpose is to reduce the water)
   3. In a large saucepan, add palm oil. Bleach on medium heat for 30-45 mins. (Have your fan on standby, as this is often smoky)
   4. From a reasonable distance, pour parboiled pepper into hot oil
   5. Add 1 tsp salt and 3 knorr cubes
   6. Cover on medium heat for 15 mins, stair at intervals to avoid burning
   7. Wash and cut spinach, add leftover salt
   8. Boil a jug of water; pour over cut spinach (cover for 5 mins then strain) (Do not blanch for too long as it affect the color of the greens)
   9. Wash Prawns in hot water, add to sauce with your other choices of meat/fish
  10. Add locust beans (optional)
  11. Cook for another 10mins
  12. Add prepared spinach
  13. Stair, taste for salt n seasoning
  14. Reduce heat, cook for another 15mins

Enjoy!

*This soup has a unique taste, which is basically achieved from bleached palm oil, locust beans (I don’t like the smell, a teaspoon doesn’t hurt thou) I also do not use tomatoes (I find tomatoes in this part of the world too tart for the taste of Efo)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by canachy(m): 2:09am On Jun 27, 2010
Re: Nigerian Recipes by hy15: 11:04pm On Jun 28, 2010
Hi Amaka1! I just wanted to say thank you for all the great recipes. i am not Nigerian, but my man is and he is really appreciating all of my new attempts to make the food he loves. I have a question. i want to make Efo Riro but don't know what Iru is? I live near an African store, so I can ask, but I'd like to know in English if possible. Thanks! smiley
Re: Nigerian Recipes by hy15: 11:08pm On Jun 28, 2010
And if I cannot find crab claws or bush meat, what are good substitutes when making Efo Riro? Thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 29, 2010
hy15:

Hi Amaka1! I just wanted to say thank you for all the great recipes. i am not Nigerian, but my man is and he is really appreciating all of my new attempts to make the food he loves. I have a question. i want to make Efo Riro but don't know what Iru is? I live near an African store, so I can ask, but I'd like to know in English if possible. Thanks! smiley
English name for Iru is locust beans.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Flodel(f): 12:46pm On Jul 02, 2010
hi amaka1 can u pls send me the maggi cooking recipe book. my email is bimfo@yahoo.com. thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by oladapsy: 11:43pm On Jul 06, 2010
hi Amaka can you pls send me the e-book at ollydmx@yahoo.com
Re: Nigerian Recipes by lane123: 6:53pm On Jul 07, 2010
does anybody know the recipe for nigerian cake
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jul 10, 2010

Moyin-Moyin (also called Moin-Moin, Moi-Moi, Moimoi), a sort of savory bean pudding, is a unique and delicious way to prepare black-eyed peas or other beans. The traditional way to cook Moyin-Moyin is to wrap it in leaves (such as banana leaves) and steam it. In modern Africa it is often cooked in empty tin cans, but it can also be made in muffin pans (muffin tins). There are many variations of Moyin-Moyin. Skip all the optional ingredients to make a simple version; include one or more of the optional ingredients to make fancy Moyin-Moyin. Also see the Akara recipe.

What you need

two to three cups dried cowpeas (black-eyed peas) or similar
one tablespoon dried shrimp powder
one or two tomatoes, (peeled if desired), chopped -- or -- a similar amount of canned tomatoes -- or -- two tablespoons of canned tomato paste
one or two onions, chopped
salt and black pepper to taste
chile pepper, chopped, to taste
cayenne pepper or red pepper, to taste
oil to grease muffin tin
Optional Ingredients (a cup of one or more of the following):
cooked shrimp, chopped
cooked carrots, finely chopped
cooked peas
sweet green or red pepper (bell pepper)
hard-boiled egg
dried, salted, or smoked fish; washed, cleaned and torn into small pieces
dried shrimp or prawns, washed and crushed
canned sardines
leftover cooked meat, cut into small pieces
dried or smoked meat, torn into small pieces
canned corned beef

What you do

Clean the black-eyed peas in water in a large pot. Cover them with boiling water and soak them for at least an hour or overnight. After soaking them, rub them together between your hands to remove the skins. Rinse to wash away the skins and any other debris. Drain them in a colander. If the beans have soaked only a short time, they may be cooked in water over a low heat until they are partially tender.

Crush, grind, or mash the black-eyed peas into a thick paste. Slowly add enough water to form a smooth, thick paste. Beat with a wire whisk or wooden spoon for a few minutes. A tablespoon of oil may be added. In a separate container combine all other ingredients and crush and stir them together until they are thoroughly mixed. Add the other ingredients to the black-eyed pea paste and stir to make a smooth mixture.

Grease the muffin pans (or tin cans). Scoop the Moyin-Moyin mixture into your pans (or cans), allowing some room for it to rise while cooking. Place the pans (or cans) in a baking dish partially filled with water. Bake in a medium-hot oven for about a half-hour. Moyin-Moyin in tin cans can also be steamed in a large covered pot on a stove. Check for doneness with a toothpick or sharp knife, as one would for a cake.

Alternate cooking method: Wrap the Moyin-Moyin mixture in banana leaves or aluminum foil to make small packets. Cook the packets by steaming them in a large pot, using a rack to keep them out of the water.

May be served hot or at room temperature.

There has to be a more simpler recipe than this nau embarassed
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jul 10, 2010
Found a simpler one.

Moin-Moin recipe kiss kiss Got some moin-moin to make

http://adefunke..com/2008/07/moin-moin-recipe.html
Re: Nigerian Recipes by joyceereal(f): 1:09pm On Jul 12, 2010
Amaka great job. Please i need kindly send me a "cook book". My email is joyceereal@hotmail.com
Re: Nigerian Recipes by twinkiesta(f): 8:24pm On Jul 16, 2010
do u put broth/meat water/omi eran when cooking egusi?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by twinkiesta(f): 9:25pm On Jul 16, 2010
@ AMAKA,

MY BABY WULD DEFINITELY APPRECIATE THIS BUT THERE'S A HUGE HINDRANCE TO ME PRACTICING, WHERE WILL I GET ALL THESE LEAVES FROM ? I LIVE IN BALTIMORE, MARYLAND, AMERICA!!!, cry , i'm tired of cooking, j-ryc, fried ryc, spagetti and efo 4 him, even me sef i'm tired of eating it, tnk GOD we dnt spend tym @ home
Re: Nigerian Recipes by oludashmi(f): 11:13am On Jul 22, 2010
twinkiesta:

do u put broth/meat water/omi eran when cooking egusi?

Of course you wil. It adds a great taste to the soup.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by carefree: 6:21pm On Jul 24, 2010
Hi  Amaka,

If you are still taking the trouble to send out the maggi ebook, I would love a copy too.

Many thanks in advance and have a lovely weekend.

Cheers
Re: Nigerian Recipes by mamagee3(f): 10:07pm On Jul 24, 2010
That suya is sick!

I'm already watering my tongue and lips.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blacksta(m): 3:35pm On Jul 25, 2010
mama-gee:

That suya is sick!

I'm already watering my tongue and lips.

Where is the recipe ?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by awa17(f): 3:18pm On Jul 28, 2010
Thanks so much house for all the recipies particularly Amaka1, actually cooking is all bout creativity and modification. not until now, i have been looking for most of the recipies i found here so im just gonna give it a try. cheers grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Goalzilla: 1:12pm On Aug 08, 2010

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.