Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,287 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (348252 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by fesse(f): 12:14pm On Aug 22, 2007
@AMAKA1,
I bu nwanne madu.jisike,imela ooooooooooo
Re: Nigerian Recipes by mamatee: 12:23pm On Aug 22, 2007
Hey, i got some. enjoy

OFE UGBA WITH POUNDED YAM
This soup is quite popular with people from Imo State. Ugba is the Ibo word for cooked sliced oil bean seed. It is used in many food preparations. The Efik/Ibibio also use this particular ingredient in food preparation and its called “Ukana”.
INGREDIENTS QUANTITES
Beef ½ kg
Smoked fish 1 medium size
Stockfish (cooked) 4 medium size
Ugu leaves 1 small bunch
Ugba 6 wraps
Onion 1 small size
Okro 20 medium fingers
Dry pepper (ground) 1 tablespoon
Potash a small piece
Palm oil 2 cooking spoons
Maggi Cubes 3
Water 2 litres
Salt to taste
METHOD
Season the beef with few slices of onion and a little salt, steam for about 10 minutes or till the juice dries up.
Add the remaining water and continue cooking
Add the pepper, Maggi Cubes, Fish and stir
Shred the Okro and add
Heat the potash, then crush and add 1 tablespoon of water
Stir in the palm oil till the colour changes to yellow
Add the Ugba and stir
Pour into the pot of soup and stir thoroughly
Add the shredded Ugu
Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir and add salt to taste
Serve with the pounded yam

OHA OR ORA SOUP
INGREDIENTS QUANTITIES
Oha Leaves 1 medium bunch
Dried Meat 8 medium pieces
Smoked Fish 1 medium size
Stock Fish 4 medium pieces
Ogiri 1 wrap
Achi 2 tablespoon
Oporo 1 Cup
Palm Oil 1 cooking spoon
Water 2 litres
Salt To taste
METHOD
Boil the stockfish till soft
Soak the dried meat in boiling water for few minutes, then wash thoroughly to remove sand and burn smell.
Boil two litres pf water
Add the stockfish and the meat
Wash the smoked fish and add
Wash the Oporo
Grind the Achi and dissolve in cold water thoroughly and add to the soup. Stir.
Add the Oporo, dry pepper, Ogiri and Maggi cubes and plam oil
Stir thoroughly and reduce the heat
Pick wash and cut the Oha leaves with your fingers
Add to the soup and salt to taste. Simmer for about 10 minutes
Serve with cassava fufu

MIYAN TAUSE
INGREDIENTS QUANTITIES
Beef 8 medium pieces
Soft bone 1 medium heap
Pumpkin 10 small pieces
Spinach 1 small bunch
Yakwa 1 small bunch
Fresh tomato 4 large size
Onion 1 large size
Fresh pepper 4 large size
Groundnut (ground) 1 cup
Palm oil or vegetable oil 2 cooking spoons
Traditional locust bean cake 1 large size
Maggi Cubes 3
Water 1½ litres
Salt to taste
METHOD
Wash and season the meat with salt and Maggi Cube, steam together with the soft bones till the juice dries up.
Add more water and cook till soft.
Blend few pieces of the pumpkin with tomato, and pepper.
Heat the oil, fry the meat and bones.
Add water, the blended vegetables and chopped onion to the pot.
Cook for about 10 minutes. Add the groundnut paste, the remaining pumpkin, locust bean, and fish.
Cover the pot and cook for about 15 minutes. Shred and add the yakwa leaves. Shred the spinach.
Add the leaves to the soup. Stir.
Add the remaining Maggi Cube and reduce the heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir and add salt to taste.
Serve with the Sinasir or tuwn shinkafa.

OFE ONUGBU
INGREDIENTS QUANTITIES
Beef (optional) 8 medium pieces
Stockfish 1 medium size
Onugbu or Bitter leaves (washed) 1 large bunch
Cocoyam (thickner) 3 small size
Crayfish (ground) 3 tablespoons
Palm Oil 2 cookingspoons
Dried pepper (ground) 1 tablespoon
Ogili 1 wrap
Maggi Cube 2
Water 2 litres
Salt to taste.
METHOD
Wash and boil the stockfish for about 35 minutes to soften.
Peel and boil the Cocoyam for about 20 minutes till soft.
Strain the Cocoyam and pound to form a paste.
Place the pot on the burner.
Add water and allow to boil for about 3 minutes.
Add the palm oil, stockfish, washed and boned dried fish, crayfish, pepper and the Cocoyam paste.
Stir and allow to boil for 10 minutes.
Add Maggi Cubes, Ogili and the washed Onugbu leaves.
Cook for another 10 minutes. The soup should thicken by now.
Stir and taste the soup.
Add salt and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Serve with cassava fufu.

IYUE MBUEL
INGREDIENTS QUANTITIES
Bush meat 8 medium pieces.
Dried paw paw slices 2 cups
Melon seed (ground) 2 cups
Palm oil 2 cooking spoons
Onion 1 small size
Maggi Cubes 2
Water 1½ litres
Salt to taste.
METHOD
Wash the bush meat, season with one Maggi Cube, salt and little dried pepper and boil for 10 minutes with the water.
Pound the ground melon seeds with 1 tablespoon of warm
Water and 1-tablespoon ground onion.
Add one-tablespoon palm oil.
Pound till it forms a mass.
Mould the melon into small balls and add to the boiling pot.
Add the remaining Maggi Cube, and pepper.
Cook for about 15 minutes for the melon balls to set.
Wash the sliced dried paw paw and add
Stir and add salt to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve with pounded yam.

ATAMA SOUP
INGREDIENTS QUANTITIES
Beef 8 medium pieces
Fresh or smoked fish 1 medium size
Cow skin 10 medium pieces
Stockfish head 1 medium head.
Perewinkle in shell (optional) 1 cup
Atama leaves 1 small bunch
Palm fruit 1 mudu
Crayfish (ground) 3 tablespoons
Uyayak (local spice) 1 small piece
Maggi Crayfish tablet 1
Water (for extraction of the oily liquid) 2½ litres
Salt to taste.
METHOD
Cut a little piece of the tail end of the perewinkle remove the intestine, then wash thoroughly to remove all the mud.
Wash and boil the palm fruits for about 30 minutes.
Strain off the water and pound till the fibres come off the nuts.
Heat the water to be just warm, add to the pounded palm fruit and mix thoroughly then strain off the oily extract.
Wash and season your meat with salt, Maggi Cube and small pepper then steam for about 5 minutes on low heat.
Add about 1½ cups of water, stockfish head and continue boiling for about 20 minutes till the meat is almost cooked, and remove from heat.
Cut the Atama leaves into very fine pieces then pound for about 10 minutes till the leaves are finely pounded.
Place the oily extract on the burner and allow to boil for about 5 minutes.
Add cooked meat,and washed smoked fish, meat stock, perewinkle, crayfish, pepper and Maggi Crayfish and Uyayak.
Stir and allow to boil for about 10 minutes.
Add the atama leaves and allow to boil without stirring for another 10 minutes.
Stir, and add salt to taste.
Allow to simmer for another 15 –10 minutes or until slightly thick.
Remove from heat and serve with pounded yam or cassava fufu or boiled white rice
Re: Nigerian Recipes by uyai(f): 1:21pm On Aug 22, 2007
hmmmm
Re: Nigerian Recipes by olayemfo(f): 1:27pm On Aug 22, 2007
Amaka,l must say this,you are a very good and great cook.I really appreciate.Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by sameer26: 1:46pm On Aug 22, 2007
Find all Indian Food Recipes FREE on www. indian-food-recipe .com

www. indian-food-recipe .com the Best website for Free Indian Vegetarian & Non-Vegetarian Recipes.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge(f): 1:48pm On Aug 22, 2007
the onugbu has to be blended till smooth right? cuz my mom does it so and i love the smooth texture of the soup with fresh fish  grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omega25red(m): 4:10pm On Aug 22, 2007
If nairaland ever went down this would be the only post i would miss for real Amaka you get husband? me i dey fin wife oooo cheesy
Re: Nigerian Recipes by purpleh(m): 4:24pm On Aug 22, 2007
Kai my wife don enter wahala.

Can anyone advise on how to prepare Isi-Ewu (Goat head pepper soup)
Re: Nigerian Recipes by PTBNaija(f): 4:31pm On Aug 22, 2007
Isi-Ewu

INGREDIENT :
1goat (head and legs only)
3 fresh chilli pepper
8 fresh tomatoes
2 onions
1 clove garlic
I teaspoon peppersoup seasoning
3tbs. lemon juice
4tbs. tomato puree
200ml/7floz palm-oil
1lt/2pints stock or water
I onion (sliced)
chopped wild mini
salt to taste

Singe the hairs off the head and legs of goat, scrape and singe alternatively until all the hairs are off. Burn the hoofs and horns, peel them off with the point of a heavy knife. Wash the head and legs thoroughly with soap and a rough sponge or brush. Chop into small pieces with a sharp cleaver and rinse thoroughly, discarding the brains. Pour over the lemon juice and mix in. Leave to rest for 15 minutes. Grind together the onions, garlic, chillies and tomatoes. Place meat in a large pot, add the sliced onions, chillies, stock and seasonings. Cover and cook for 45 minutes. Check and stir frequently. Finally add the grind chillies, tomatoes, onions, palm-oil and wild mint. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 30-40 minutes until meat is tender. Adiust seasoning and serve in traditional earthenware dishes garnish with chopped mint.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 22, 2007
hey PTBnaija, i dont think you discard the brains, rather the brains are used to thicken the isi-ewu a little bit.

Secondly in Nigeria here, we use the local spice (uziza, ehuru and co). i dont know about using tomato puree and lemon juice for isi-ewu! [/s]my 50cent advise[s]
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge25(f): 5:36pm On Aug 22, 2007
PTH:

thanks a bunch omoge25, afrimart seems the best of the lot. Found fresh ugba, beans and garri there. kiss A kiss for your help!
you are welcomed smiley
Re: Nigerian Recipes by PTBNaija(f): 6:47pm On Aug 22, 2007
ugonna0071:

hey PTBnaija, i don't think you discard the brains, rather the brains are used to thicken the isi-ewu a little bit.

Secondly in Nigeria here, we use the local spice (uziza, ehuru and co). i don't know about using tomato puree and lemon juice for isi-ewu! [/s]my 50cent advise[s]

Oh really? Well I just copied and pasted from the Online Nigeria recipes page. undecided tongue
Re: Nigerian Recipes by PTH(m): 10:10pm On Aug 22, 2007
PTBnaija, where do you get peppersoup seasoning? What is chopped wild mini?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge(f): 10:12pm On Aug 22, 2007
wait oo, tomatoes and pureed one in pepper soup?? undecided that's westernised pepper soup abi.

the brain stays intact in the goat head. just put the whole head (no cut am into parts) in the pot with other spare parts  like leg, arm, intestine, towel and cook. Yes ugonna0071 you are right. then add the native spices when the head and parts are well cooked.

no oil, no tomatoes. Just hot pepper
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Uche2nna(m): 1:30am On Aug 23, 2007
I think I have found my wife to be grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Recipes by PTH(m): 1:31am On Aug 23, 2007
@ omoge, do you know where to get goat head and legs in this town? pls i need them for this weekend. joo.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge(f): 1:42am On Aug 23, 2007
i doubt it if you will get goat head at all there. there is a store in. i heard they sell live goat, you buy and they roast it for you. a classmate's mom sent it to me but i lost that address now.

have you heard about Obeng in ? they have nice goat meat and maybe they have one with head too.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge25(f): 3:59am On Aug 23, 2007
wow i take texas for granted the african markets here always have goat meat/head. If i can recommed anything you guys could look for halal type stores also asian groceries, they tend to carry other meats besides chicken and beef. The halal markets here carry fresh goeat meat they burn it theirselves. Also you might want to check out animal farms. For my moms 50th we went to a farm that was on the out skirts of the city and killed a goat, they burnt it and cut it for us.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by PTBNaija(f): 4:36am On Aug 23, 2007
PTH:

PTBnaija, where do you get peppersoup seasoning? What is chopped wild mini?

Haha. . .I should have read it before I posted it. Let me get a better one.

I can get goat head where I am. . .I guess you have to have a significant Nigerian population lol.

Uche2nna:

shocked
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 5:02am On Aug 23, 2007
Uche2nna:

What do u mean by that statement uchena,u fink she's some igbo girls u can control or just purpose to anyhow, see just mind ur language or i tell ur wife. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by PTBNaija(f): 5:18am On Aug 23, 2007
He was not talking about me Lanre!!!! grin grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by warfarian(m): 8:39am On Aug 23, 2007
hey!!!!!!!!!! c soup, broda ehhn that egusi soup na gbozaaa, inshort i just drink water now ohh, i don bele full, mem una dey cook shall i go like marry this kind babe wey sabi prepare dat kind soup, for warri we dey call that kind tin owokor, for Ekpoma, we dey call am emie esi

kudos to you guys for feeding me, and pipo like me on nairand with all sorts of food, anyways i was expecing to cc grandnut soup and Ogbonor my favouritesss

i hail ohhh
Re: Nigerian Recipes by warfarian(m): 9:14am On Aug 23, 2007
hey!!!!!!!! Amaka baby! kai u 2 much ohhhh, i dont salivate tire chineke, wait u b restauratur or do you work there? ahhh if this is your handiwork , if i no fit marry u i go sponsor my elder brother to marry u, lol

You are just wonderful, i believe this is a chalenge to all the nairaland/nigerian ladies dat does not know how to cook a dime, they prefer fast food joint, you c as pipo dey rush to MARRY amaka1 now, this is an evidence of good home training, them say pikin wey stay kitchen wit im mama, abeg make una help me finish, na beta pikin be that

nairalanders ladies/nigerian gladies, learn from this
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 23, 2007
Goosh!!! This thread is something else, Ammaakaaaaa, Pls, make it REAL, I'm hungry. wink cry

And thanks for sending in those Recipes of yours!!! I trully feel like eating Isi-Ewu right now. Oh Isi-Ewu Pepper soup, I'm missing you cry cry.

Kudos Once again grin grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 23, 2007
I've got an idea, a very brilliant idea tongue  wink  grin, Can't we organise a get together for all Nairalanders and Amaka and co. Enterprise would be the chef of the day. I'm good at raising funds, trust me  wink, So, getting sponsors won't be difficult, thank God our Moderator(s) is RICH enough. just kidding anyway, but it's not a bad idea
Re: Nigerian Recipes by karrye(f): 12:19pm On Aug 23, 2007
For the record, amaka1 did say some of the recipes and pictures werent hers.

amaka1 thank u for all the recipes. am yoruba but have always loved southern/southeastern food

hope ur final years goin good?

do u have a recipe for 'rivers native soup'

everyone on the thread 'nice one' cheesy
Re: Nigerian Recipes by florababy2(f): 1:34pm On Aug 23, 2007
kudos[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Nigerian Recipes by lollygee(f): 1:37pm On Aug 23, 2007
Unh!!1 tongue Really feel like cooking the egusi soup right away.Very attractive and tempting.Amaka u must really be a good cook.Can we have more of ur good kitchen talents keep it up.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge(f): 1:37pm On Aug 23, 2007
PTH, i will give you a recipe/idea of how you can cook/enjoy pepper soup without the goat head or spare parts okay.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by lollygee(f): 1:52pm On Aug 23, 2007
Amaka A big bravo to you.You are too much i envy you ooooo.I pray you have agood man that will appreciate you for all this mouthwatering dishes. tongue
Re: Nigerian Recipes by PTH(m): 1:52pm On Aug 23, 2007
omoge:

PTH, i will give you a recipe/idea of how you can cook/enjoy pepper soup without the goat head or spare parts okay.

thanks! i'll appreciate it!  grin I need to do it this weekend.
I can get some goat parts either at a halal market some place downtown or at the local market. No head or spare parts though sadly.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge(f): 3:45pm On Aug 23, 2007
Recipe

• Kidney
• Shaki (Tripp)
• Habanero pepper (1 or 2 depending on your like for hot food)
• 1 Fresh bulb of ginger
• Nigeria native pepper soup spices (if you have them). IF you don’t have Nigeria pepper soup spices, then use Old Bay (I use old bay as alternate)
• 2 cubes of Maggi
• Salt
• Mushrooms

• Yellow potato (the smaller size ones)

Note: kidney, shaki and Old Bay, you can find them in super Wal-Mart.

Prep:
• Wash and cut your kidney into bitable size (remove hidden fat) Wash and cut your Tripp into bitable size and pour into pot. Add other parts if you want but not really meat 
• Add sizable amount of water  or 4 cups if you are using measuring cups and set aside
• Cut the ginger into half and remove skin of one half parts. Put into a blender with your habanero pepper. Blend till smooth and pout into the pot of meat. Cut the remaining half ginger into cubes and pour into the pot. Add 2-3 tablespoons of old Bay spice, salt and maggi cubes. Set pot on fire at a medium heat. Cook till meat is tender (45mins to an hour). Increase heat if you want. PS: First add the old bay, and maggi and a little salt. Old bay has salt in it smiley
• Add your mushroom and cook for few minutes (or till mushroom is tender)

In another pot:
Wash your potato (do not peel skin) and cook till tender.
You are all set 

I usually mix the pepper soup with potato and eat together.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.