Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,282 members, 7,815,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (348251 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by gmcln(m): 3:43am On May 06, 2007
I read about TOFU made from soybeans, how do you prepare it

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2001/may/tofu.ht
Re: Nigerian Recipes by dollyp1cute(f): 6:19pm On May 06, 2007
@cabali

of course it's edible, it is fantastic with white rice, they said it's made with palm oil. It's just stew but dark brown and fried.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 8:57am On May 07, 2007
if you say so. sounds delicious grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by frogchef: 7:59pm On May 08, 2007
I'm so glad to be able to talk to you guys!!!!!!, I'm so waiting to try out those recipes. They are perfect for my school project!!! cheesy I'm have a project about Nigeria and you people helped a lot!!! Hope we can talk again soon!!!!! THANKYOU!!!!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by frogchef: 8:04pm On May 08, 2007
I hope to talk to everyone later!! Bye!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by dezi(f): 10:46pm On May 08, 2007
Amaka,it seems u love cooking.ur husband go fat ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo smiley.nice recipes
Re: Nigerian Recipes by sketch18(m): 8:58am On May 09, 2007
thanks guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice one!

ps who said that african men cant cook now! grin grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by alanbolo(m): 3:35pm On May 09, 2007
Enjoyed this tread and thx to all d contributors.  Could have posted mine as well but it'll amount to repetitions and of course, Men do cook as well    smiley
Re: Nigerian Recipes by exotique(f): 3:38pm On May 09, 2007
I agree dat men cook, but most time it sucks. grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by frogchef: 8:22pm On May 09, 2007
Men do cook, but women alway cook the good food. grin Makes me hungry just to think about it, wink
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Gift4all(m): 11:45am On May 10, 2007
Thanks very much Amaka, I have learnt a lot from you. Pls give the recipe for stew.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by toogood4u(f): 2:57pm On May 10, 2007
Sorry maybe this is a stupid question but can anybody tell me how much is 3pt stock or water?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge25(f): 7:42am On May 11, 2007
toogood4u:

Sorry maybe this is a stupid question but can anybody tell me how much is 3pt stock or water?

its not a stupid question smiley
3pints will be 6cups of stock
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge25(f): 7:44am On May 11, 2007
Anyone have a good recipe for Oha or Ora soup?? I tried a so-called easy recipe i found online and it didnt turn out right, any ideas would be helpful.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by alanbolo(m): 9:42pm On May 11, 2007
exotique:

I agree that men cook, but most time it sucks. grin
  I beg to disagree.   I wish i could mail some of my cooking to u but not possible,   
The kitchen belongs to me this mother-day weekend.   Well cooked yam and fried eggs with all the juicy asparagus.
Either cook-out or bring-in, all na food. smiley
Re: Nigerian Recipes by PHBABE(f): 5:18am On May 23, 2007
pls does any one know how to make okpa? pls post recipe oh. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by rossy4life(f): 4:04pm On May 27, 2007
the recipes are lovely and the sight of the food isn't bad neither, but i hope they taste as nice as they look
Re: Nigerian Recipes by getchineye: 10:15pm On May 27, 2007
hi nairalanders, pls do anyone know how to make pepper soup. i've been longing 2 make it but i do not know the ingredients to use and the cooking procedures
Re: Nigerian Recipes by getchineye: 10:25pm On May 27, 2007
To make okpa.
Ingredients
Okpa beans
oil
Salt
Peper

Preparation:
If ur using the okpa beans flour.
1. Pour the okpa beans flour in a bowl and pour oil into the bowl
2. mix with ur hands till it is uniformly red in colour and no white particles is found in the mixture
3. then add warm water into the mixture
4. add salt and pepper.
5. note, don't make ur mixture watery
5. scup out the mixture in waterproof and tye it
6. boil water in a clean pot and put the tyed okpa in the waterproof into the already biled water and allow to cook
7 once it is boiled bring it down on the fire
Re: Nigerian Recipes by abiban(f): 5:01pm On May 31, 2007
This thread is one that I think is really cool especially as I looovve cooking, repetitions will be boring so I wont b posting.

@ Nosilla:

Egusi with spinach is just what the Igbos call Egusi i.e. they don't cook Egusi without the leaves, this I learnt from some Igbo flatmates. For the Yoruba's , we usually just cook Egusi plain without leaves. But, the one known as 'Efo riro' (dnt worry bout the name) is Egusi and leaves. Make ur Vegetable to be Spinach and dats it.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Drusilla(f): 8:50pm On May 31, 2007
Thank you. This food looks good.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Mustay(m): 6:26pm On Jun 02, 2007
@ abiban- that's right but most Yorubas add fish to the soup
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tete(f): 4:41pm On Jun 05, 2007
@gmcln

Tofu known as Awara in these parts

Ingredients:

5cups soya beans (soybeans)
water(use ur descretion)
Alum(the size of two cubes of suger put toghether)

Method:

1. Soak the beans until twice in size

2. Wash beans to remove back or husk

3. Grind beans into very smooth paste

4. Put enough water into paste mixture to water it down

5. Use a fine cloth seive to separate the milk from the shaft

6. put the liquid in a pot and put on a fire

7. when liquid begins to boil, drop the alum into the pot

8. leave to boil until the milk begins to curddle forming thick white sediments

9. when sedimentation is complete remove from fire and pour into the cloth seive, separating the sediments from the water.

10. Tie up sediments in cloth seive and allow to stay untill most or all the water drains out.

11. Remove cake that forms afterwards and refrigerate to store.

Awara is a very rich healthy source of protein and i read some where that it is especially very good for men because it reduces their chances of getting prostrate cancer. It can be used in various ways -  as meat in your stews of soups, it can be spiced and fried to be eaten plain.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tete(f): 4:45pm On Jun 05, 2007
Sorry i meant Prostate Cancer.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by gmcln(m): 5:12pm On Jun 05, 2007
Tete

Thank you for the Tofu recipe, but what is ALUM and why.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge25(f): 3:42am On Jun 06, 2007
tete:

@gmcln

Tofu known as Awara in these parts

Ingredients:

5cups soya beans (soybeans)
water(use your descretion)
Alum(the size of two cubes of suger put toghether)

Method:

1. Soak the beans until twice in size

2. Wash beans to remove back or husk

3. Grind beans into very smooth paste

4. Put enough water into paste mixture to water it down

5. Use a fine cloth seive to separate the milk from the shaft

6. put the liquid in a pot and put on a fire

7. when liquid begins to boil, drop the alum into the pot

8. leave to boil until the milk begins to curddle forming thick white sediments

9. when sedimentation is complete remove from fire and pour into the cloth seive, separating the sediments from the water.

10. Tie up sediments in cloth seive and allow to stay untill most or all the water drains out.

11. Remove cake that forms afterwards and refrigerate to store.

Awara is a very rich healthy source of protein and i read some where that it is especially very good for men because it reduces their chances of getting prostrate cancer. It can be used in various ways - as meat in your stews of soups, it can be spiced and fried to be eaten plain.

I started eating tofu last year, thanks for the recipe Im going to try and make my own, what is alum and is there a substitution?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tete(f): 4:48pm On Jun 06, 2007
Common alum is the double sulphate of aluminium and potassium. It is white, transparent, very astringent(from google)
Its also commonly used here to wash snails, it removes all the slime.

The ALUM is used to coagulate the milk i.e make it come toghether to form a solid substance.

I don't know of any substitute for alum, but there probably is. I 'll see if i can find something. You could try searching too.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by 9ja4eva: 10:11am On Jun 10, 2007
Meat Pie nko
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge25(f): 4:55am On Jun 11, 2007
9ja4eva:

Meat Pie nko
I see meat pie recipe for first page, but me i want recipe where dey no use whole stick of butter, or magerine.

Meat Pie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meat Filling
-small potatoes, diced and cooked (to save time, use frozen hash brown potato cubes)
-lean ground beef (or chicken, or turkey)
-frozen mixed vegetables, cooked (I use the peas, carrots and corn mix)
-onion diced
-red and green sweet peppers, diced
- seasonings (salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, knorr/maggie etc, whatever you like)

Dough
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) (it should be cold and hard)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
4-6 tablespoons ice water

-Prepare the filling by browning your meat and spices. WHile it's cooking, stirfry your peppers and onion and veggies. Mix it all together. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.

-Once ground beef is cooked, add the diced cooked potatoes and heat for 5 minutes. (not too much potatoes). The main purpose is to aborb excesss liquid from the meat mixture, so that you don't end up with soggy meat pies.

-To make dough: Sift together dry ingredients and cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork until mixture is crumbly.

-While mixing with a wooden spoon, add water a tablespoon at a time until dough holds together in a ball (you may need more or less water. Just add small amounts at a time). If the dough is crumbly, add a little more water by drops until the dough stays together when you pinch it.
-When dough comes together into a ball roll out the dough until flat.
- Cut out circles (I use a giant cookie cutter for this). If dough becomes sticky or too soft put in fridge for 10 minutes to cool and then take it out again and continue cutting the circles.
-Place meat stuffing in center of pastry circles.
-Fold over and seal using a fork.
-Bake on a lightly greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by 9ja4eva: 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2007
Thank you oh
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tete(f): 5:24pm On Jun 13, 2007
This site is cool for anyone who has a sweet tooth

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-apple-crumble

Try it out and you'll be amazed, i know i was. wink
Re: Nigerian Recipes by redwoman(f): 8:42pm On Jun 20, 2007
Please could someone please send me some igbo dish recepies, I would love to surprise my husband with a authentic dish, Thanks

Redwoman

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.