Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,614 members, 7,823,669 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required (1865 Views)

What Is Wrong With A Man Marrying A Young Lady 13-15 Years Younger Than Him? / A Girl's Advice To Ladies Asking Guys For Things / Nigerian Men Regret Marrying Nigerian Women In The USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Humpero: 4:00pm On Apr 06, 2009
Hi

I am going to be best man for my friend in a few weeks.  He is a white English man and his fiancee is Nigerian.  For the purposes of my speech, I would like to know the following:

1.  What qualities, virtues and credentials are expected of a man who marries a Nigerian girl?
2.  What general advice would you give him?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks.
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by topup: 4:45pm On Apr 06, 2009
These questions are being asked waaaaay too late.

What happens if he has none of the virtues or qualities, does he run away from the altar - or does he pretend for as long as he can in the marriage that he has these virtues.

If you're friend is a sensible guy, I'm sure he would have searched his to-be bride very well, and hopefully they're very compatible.

There are no generic preferences and if anyone gives you any, they still may not work with her.

Is your friend able to communicate with his fiance?? If so, just let him ask his fiance what she expects.
A nigerian woman is still a woman, and she would like love, care, loyalty, protection , the list goes on.

Nigerian people as a whole really respect their culture, so as long as he is willing to embrace her culture, he should be fine.

I'm quite scared for your friend, if he's so unsure about the woman he's about to marry that he needs tips from a forum weeks before the wedding.

I think my best advice would be that, he should be REAL with himself, this is for life!! Nigerians aren't so big on divorce, and it takes a whole lot for divorce to be a resort.

Tell your friend to trust his instincts and give it his best shot.

All the best & God Bless - If you truly are his friend, then you are very caring, looking after his back. *thumbs up*
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by topup: 4:49pm On Apr 06, 2009
Oh, you mean the best man speech??
Well just stay away from talking about anything you don't know about, because you could end up offending people if you blindly take advice from a forum smiley

Nigerian women are supposed to be:

- loyal,
- humble,
- good mothers (not afraid to beat down the kid to bring him/her upright LOL!)

Joking, I'm a little nervous giving advice, 'cos I feel like you might actually be writing this down. Just from reading things on this forum, you should be able to realise that we are just like everyone else, and there are some that don't have the above qualities.

Just write what you feel, as long as it's from the heart, & it make sense to him and his fiance that's all that matters, whether it humours the audience or anything else, is a much harder challenge which I would stay away from.
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Humpero: 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2009
Thanks Topup!

Yeah, there is absolutely no doubt in his mind - they are a perfect couple and will be very, VERY happy together!

I was actually just looking for opinions on what makes that perfect husband for a Nigerian wife,

Thanks again!
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by topup: 5:13pm On Apr 06, 2009
The man should be:

- Good with his family, so no arguments with the in-laws,
- Respectful to his in-laws to-be (fiance's family),
- He should be loyal - NO CHEATING ( which from this forum you would think happens in EVERY marriage),
- He should be able to provide for the wife, as a lot is required from the Nigerian wife, so if she can't work and be the housewife and mother, he should be able to bring home the bacon tongue,
- He should be romantic occasionally & not always seeking to please himself,
- He should never raise his hand to her (you know what I mean).

The rest should follow,
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by ChuckWoody(m): 5:26pm On Apr 06, 2009
Dude, make sure you add the odd hilarious anecdote! If you're good mates then you should remember a couple of pearlers from your past. Nothing sordid, mind. You don't wanna upset the in-laws wink
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 06, 2009
You dude has got to be funny.

Naija girls like funny guys, well atleast I do.

But you've got to know when to be serious too undecided wink
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Humpero: 5:30pm On Apr 06, 2009
Ha ha - that's good to know. He is very funny actually, in a sort of clumsy way!
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 06, 2009
Humpero:

Ha ha - that's good to know. He is very funny actually, in a sort of clumsy way!
Cool tht's 30 points wink

How does your friend dress?
Does he have self confidence?
Choice of words (no nigga, beyotch, Arrow, etc) ?
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Humpero: 5:41pm On Apr 06, 2009
Well, he was an "average" dresser until they met - a bit hit and miss. He has definitely become more fashionable since they have been together!!

His self-confidence is high but he is not arrogant.

He is also respectful and would definitely not use those words!
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by ChuckWoody(m): 5:42pm On Apr 06, 2009
Humpman, advising a man about the do's and don'ts of marriage are no different all the world over.

Talk about how you're sure your friend will make her the happiest chick in the world.
Talk about how he's loved her from day dot.
Tell the assembled audience that your boy's life has now been completed by finding this final piece of the jigsaw.

Blah, blah yada yada, you get the drift.

Just make sure it's all true, even the jokes.
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 06, 2009
ChuckWoody:

Humpman, advising a man about the do's and don'ts of marriage are no different all the world over.

Talk about how you're sure your friend will make her the happiest chick in the world.
Talk about how he's loved her from day dot.
Tell the assembled audience that your boy's life has now been completed by finding this final piece of the jigsaw.

Blah, blah yada yada, you get the drift.

Just make sure it's all true, even the jokes.
They're going to get married.

He's looking out for his friend's well being. . . . wink
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 06, 2009
Humpero:

Well, he was an "average" dresser until they met - a bit hit and miss. He has definitely become more fashionable since they have been together!!

His self-confidence is high but he is not arrogant.

He is also respectful and would definitely not use those words!
Your friend just scored some points on my board.

Ok, is he sexist?
Education?
does he understand and respect her culture?
Would you recommend him for your sister (if you had one?)

She must have seen something in him to date him, and to marry him.
I don't think you should fret.

How long have they being dating before he proposed?
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Humpero: 6:00pm On Apr 06, 2009
He is definitely not sexist and is fully embracing of the culture. They had been dating for about three years before he proposed - he was working abroad for part of that time which is why it took him so long to do it!

And yes, I would trust him with my sister. More so these days though - his fiancee has definitely worked her magic on him!
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by Nobody: 6:08pm On Apr 06, 2009
Humpero:

He is definitely not sexist and is fully embracing of the culture. They had been dating for about three years before he proposed - he was working abroad for part of that time which is why it took him so long to do it!

And yes, I would trust him with my sister. More so these days though - his fiancee has definitely worked her magic on him!

LOL, he seems okay to me. Not abusive, I see.

He's good to go. I mean, 3 years is a lot of time to get to know someone. wink

Why exactly are you worrying?
Re: White English Man Marrying Nigerian Girl - Advice Required by ChuckWoody(m): 12:35am On Apr 07, 2009
Humpero:

And there's your funny anecdote, right on que! wink

(1) (Reply)

What Rule Do I Play, My Neighbour's Gf Is Cheating? / Girls; Do U Like Tattooed Guy? And Why? / Ladies , Can You Date Or Marry Someone That You Are Not Attracted To?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.