Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Boyfriend Or Sister? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Boyfriend Or Sister? (2022 Views)

Your Duty As Someone's Boyfriend Or Girlfriend? / Worst Thing Your Boyfriend Or Girlfriend Has Ever Done? / Can you Date your Ex-Lover's Brother or Sister? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 3:39am On Apr 07, 2009
My sister and I have been very close since young and we basically tells each other on every single thing!!! even sex, bf's (well, thats her cause I dont do or have any that time), what underwear are we wearing and so on. . .

But ever since I have a bf, I dont tell her anything about the both of us. . . its not like I dont want to tell her its because at the earlier stage, when I talk to her about him, she always bash him up (My sister does not really like me dating a foreignor to begin with and also I just feel that ever since I have a bf, she feels like she's being left out) and also she always compares my bf to her newly wedded husband.

Like if my bf does not really favour eating sweet food, she would say this. . . I dont understand your bf! If frezer can eat it I dont see why he cant! Is he gay or what?!

You know,. . . Stuff like that can be very hurtful . .

And than theres one day she mock him again and I got so angry that I mock her husband back and we were really fighting like wild cats and dogs. and than soon she told me that ever since I have that foreignor bf of mine, I have never payed attention to her. . .  she is the same anyways with her hussband but I have never complaint. . .

Mind you, I have tried to plan outings with her and her husband and my bf and I together but my sister does not like it at all. . . She's that typical Malaysian whom likes to mixed with her own kind and is not comfortable mixing with other race. . . well. . . apart from the whites

Guys, will you be at your bf's side or your sister side?
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by topup: 3:51am On Apr 07, 2009
It depends on how much I love him, family will always be family and if he is worth fighting for, I will fight for him, and pray that my sister comes down from her high horse.

I know how much responsiblity will be on my shoulders, having to reassure her that she's not been replaced and such.

I think this can be sorted over a heart to heart conversation, it works all the time for me and my sis, we're very close (used to be a lot closer though sad ). The heart to heart reassures the sister, where they stand in the other sister's life and let's both sides understand the other.

If you just fancy this guy, I still think try your best with the relationship and just ignore your sister, but if you are sure he is THE ONE, you should fight for him and have the conversation.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Nobody: 3:56am On Apr 07, 2009
Petty situation.

If my man can't eat my food (which he better  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin), what's my sis (thank God am the oldest) 's own with it?

Na her mouth she dey use eat am?  undecided

In this situation, I think God for responsible naija men embarassed *sips juice*
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 4:21am On Apr 07, 2009
topup:

It depends on how much I love him, family will always be family and if he is worth fighting for, I will fight for him, and pray that my sister comes down from her high horse.

I know how much responsiblity will be on my shoulders, having to reassure her that she's not been replaced and such.

I think this can be sorted over a heart to heart conversation, it works all the time for me and my sis, we're very close (used to be a lot closer though sad ). The heart to heart reassures the sister, where they stand in the other sister's life and let's both sides understand the other.

If you just fancy this guy, I still think try your best with the relationship and just ignore your sister, but if you are sure he is THE ONE, you should fight for him and have the conversation.

Well, we have been together for 6 years now. And Im basically always very offensive when someone bashes him up. And it gets to my nerves when my sister bashes him and always has something bad to say about him on a daily basis. Almost ooo. . .

*Toyinrayo:

Petty situation.

If my man can't eat my food (which he better lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin), what's my sis (thank God am the oldest) 's own with it?

Na her mouth she dey use eat am? undecided

In this situation, I think God for responsible naija men embarassed *sips juice*

Its not like he doesnt like the food, just that he is trying to avoid taking too much sugar and my sister always loves sugary stuffs so she always buys sugary food for all of us and when someone is not eating, she will get offended.

To you it might be petty cause like what you said, you're the eldest. My sister is 5 years older than me and usually the eldest are always know for their bossy attitude. . .

I talked to my bf about this and he told me to ignore her but it just gets to my nerves. . . .
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by iice(f): 4:37am On Apr 07, 2009
Tough situation. I always thank the stars for my brothers kiss
I agree with Topup on the heart to heart talk. If you used to be close and tell each other anything, i think you have to talk and hopefully it's works out. If it doesn't, at least you told her what is in your mind and heart. Maybe if she saw that foreigners aren't that bad undecided

I know exactly what you mean by being offended. My SIL always flies into some rage when someone says shit about my bro or the family kiss Warrior princess na wetin we dey call her cheesy
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Nobody: 4:41am On Apr 07, 2009
she's racist? Oh well except to whites of course.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by SeanT21(f): 5:58am On Apr 07, 2009
DO NOT TAKE SIDES.***Keep them away from one another.Do not talk to your sister about your Bf and do not talk to your bf about your sis.***Stay Neutral.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 6:35am On Apr 07, 2009
iice:

Tough situation. I always thank the stars for my brothers kiss
I agree with Topup on the heart to heart talk. If you used to be close and tell each other anything, i think you have to talk and hopefully it's works out. If it doesn't, at least you told her what is in your mind and heart. Maybe if she saw that foreigners aren't that bad undecided

I know exactly what you mean by being offended. My SIL always flies into some rage when someone says shit about my bro or the family kiss Warrior princess na wetin we dey call her cheesy

we did the talking and thats how we ended up fighting. My sister is a hot tempered person and hmmm. . . its hard ooo. . . I told her one day that i dont like the way she talks about my bf and I would appreciate if she does not talk like that and than she said i cannot help it if your bf is from Bushland. . . She said it cause my bf likes cooking at home instead of eating out in restaurants and also he washes his clothes using his hands instead of a washing machine and stuff like that.

And soon I talk bad about her husband and than she got offended and then I told her if she feels offended, ensure she dont ssay those harsh thing about my bf again and she started throwing like chairs and glass and slippers at my area. . . Hmmm. . . undecided

davidylan:

she's racist? Oh well except to whites of course.

no, I cannot say she's a racist but maybe she is the type of person whom is not that sociable or adaptable to different things. I tbink because of our closenest with her, she does not want me to move out of the country.

SeanT21:

DO NOT TAKE SIDES.***Keep them away from one another.Do not talk to your sister about your Bf and do not talk to your bf about your sis.***Stay Neutral.

but wont that be worse off? She will continue to mock my bf no matter what and our relationship will be far distant. sad
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by iice(f): 6:59am On Apr 07, 2009
So basically she's not open to learning anything about him. After 6yrs, i would have thought, she has resigned to the fact that he is your boyfriend and may possibly one day be a member of your family undecided

Bushland because of washing with hands and eating at home? Did she even listen to herself when she said that?
Did your grandparents or parents use washing machine when they were younger?

She shouldn't worry if you move out, it's not like it's going to be impossible to see each other.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 7:06am On Apr 07, 2009
I hope so iice.

speaking about my grandparents in the past washing clothes. . . I honestly got oofended when there was one time we went to a chinese restaurant to eat and my father ordered Chicken Feet Stew. Well. . . when we were young, we use to eat it alot just that it has been such a long time that we have not eaten it and my sister was complaining saying that those chicken feet is dirty and disgusting because it touches the ground and it steps on all those shit and all. . . I was thinking as if she dont eat it before like all the time.

I dont know what is going on with her. . . But I came to a conclusion that I just feel like Im on my bf's side and not hers especially when I think that she is wrong.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by iice(f): 7:12am On Apr 07, 2009
I can understand your conflict. You have to think more about this. If forced, what side would you choose and could you live with that decision?
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 8:00am On Apr 07, 2009
URGH!!! Now Im confuse!! shocked shocked embarassed sad
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by biina: 8:15am On Apr 07, 2009
Qs:
1. Does she say them to his (ur bf's) face, and if not does ur bf know that she says such behind his back?
2. Are your parents and/or her husband aware of what she says?
3. Whats ur bf's opinion of ur sis?

Your best option is to avoid having to choose between your bf and ur sis, as they play different roles in your life
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by dragonslay(m): 8:31am On Apr 07, 2009
shocked
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 8:39am On Apr 07, 2009
biina:

Qs:
1. Does she say them to his (ur bf's) face, and if not does ur bf know that she says such behind his back?
She says it infront of his face and also behind his back but infront of my face all the time. He knows and I know he does not really like it but he just kept quiet. And he tells me that even if my sister slaps his face, he is going to take it in and going to swallow it cause he knows that he will never have a fight with a female no matter what. thats all he said.

biina:

2. Are your parents and/or her husband aware of what she says?

My parents is aware of it and thats why my mom always tells her off and than theres the fireworks going on after that between my mom and my sister. My father usually do not really like to get involve in conflicts as such so he leaves my mom to do the talking most of the time. As for her husband, he is not bothered on what she says most of the time and yes, he also aware of it.

biina:

3. Whats ur bf's opinion of ur sis?
My bf aklways says that my sister is an ajebota (well, I have to admit it is quite true embarassed) and he always says that no matter how she treats him, she would have to admit that he is dating me

biina:

Your best option is to avoid having to choose between your bf and ur sis, as they play different roles in your life

Just that I dont know how much more can I take from her mouth. . . Just because he is a foreignor, he has to work harder compare to everybody else! I have a guy whom likes me alot before and he is a Malaysian and even though my sister dont really know him that well and also I dont introduce him to her, she likes him alot regardless of whether if he has done anything or have not done anything. . . so I just dont know what is up with her.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Tatase(f): 8:40am On Apr 07, 2009
I think to keep the peace just keep your love life (with your boyfriend) separate from your family life (with your sister) for now. They don't have to be best friends, even though obviously it would be easier if they at least got along.

There's no real need for your sister and your boyfriend to interact since they can't get along but make time to hang out one-on-one with your sister because it's important to maintain family ties and also its not nice to ignore your family/friends just because of love. However, when u guys are hanging out, just keep the discussions off your love life and if she asks about him, just tell her that you don't like what she has to say about him but that YOU like him/he makes u happy, and then change the subject to something else.

Also don't say bad things about her husband and if she persists in talking badly about your boyfriend, excuse yourself from your hang out session and leave so that things don't get into a nasty screaming match again.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 8:44am On Apr 07, 2009
Tatase:

I think to keep the peace just keep your love life (with your boyfriend) separate from your family life (with your sister) for now. They don't have to be best friends, even though obviously it would be easier if they at least got along.

There's no real need for your sister and your boyfriend to interact since they can't get along but make time to hang out one-on-one with your sister because it's important to maintain family ties and also its not nice to ignore your family/friends just because of love. However, when u guys are hanging out, just keep the discussions off your love life and if she asks about him, just tell her that you don't like what she has to say about him but that YOU like him/he makes u happy, and then change the subject to something else.

Also don't say bad things about her husband and if she persists in talking badly about your boyfriend, excuse yourself from your hang out session and leave so that things don't get into a nasty screaming match again.

Well the problem is that if he comes to my hometown, he automatically stays in my family's house and my sister is always here as well so how can I avoid? its really impossible ooo

However, yeah i would try to do the part where I tell her and dont want to talk bad about her husband.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Tatase(f): 8:54am On Apr 07, 2009
gabrywyl:

Well the problem is that if he comes to my hometown, he automatically stays in my family's house and my sister is always here as well so how can I avoid? its really impossible ooo

Don't try to engage the two of them in conversations together; as in don't try to make them get along. Like even though it's an effort, try to keep them apart as much as possible even at home. Don't be open to any discussions about him with your sister. Like still be friendly with her and talk and laugh as usual, but shut down any conversations that she tries to start about your boyfriend; just tell her that she never has anything good to say about him and that she's entitled to her opinion but you'd rather talk about something else with her because he makes you happy and you don't want to argue with her, then immediately switch topics to something trivial or funny without giving her time to come back with something mean. Try to spend time alone with your boyfriend without your sister (even when you're home) and try to do the same with your sister; you don't all have to hang out en masse especially since there's a lot of antagonism there. It will be tough, but I don't think it's impossible.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 9:01am On Apr 07, 2009
Tatase,

Ok, thanks. Ill try that and see how it goes. have you ever had this problem before?
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Riskie(f): 9:03am On Apr 07, 2009
As long as you did not choose your sister's husband for her she has no right to choose who you date. You should tell her this. Maybe there are things you don't like about her husband, but I'm sure you don't make a fuss out of it. In the end your sister will not be the one to live with your guy, so it's honestly none of her business. All your family can do is give you advice. They have no right to impose anything on you. Your bf seems to be handling the situation in a mature manner and he should continue to do so. Maybe your sister will come around eventually when she sees that he is kind and patient. If not, then oh well, it is not her life.  wink
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by brutal(m): 9:11am On Apr 07, 2009
Damn ur sister.there's nothing 2 be confused about.she mussn't force anything on d poor guy.if i were him i might hit and teach her some lessons.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 9:34am On Apr 07, 2009
Riskie:

As long as you did not choose your sister's husband for her she has no right to choose who you date. You should tell her this. Maybe there are things you don't like about her husband, but I'm sure you don't make a fuss out of it. In the end your sister will not be the one to live with your guy, so it's honestly none of her business. All your family can do is give you advice. They have no right to impose anything on you. Your bf seems to be handling the situation in a mature manner and he should continue to do so. Maybe your sister will come around eventually when she sees that he is kind and patient. If not, then oh well, it is not her life. wink

No. . Actually i really like her husband. Infact when they were dating, I get along really well with him. I purposely mock him the other day cause I wanted her to feel how exactly how I feel even though I have nothing against him. I just wanted her to stop mocking my bf and thats all. but seems to me the other day, she dont seem to get the picture I guess.

brutal:

Damn ur sister.there's nothing 2 be confused about.she mussn't force anything on d poor guy.if i were him i might hit and teach her some lessons.

Oh nonono. . . One thing about my bf. He does not agree to hitting a woman ooo. . . If he gets mad, he would just go for a walk and than when he feels better than he would come back. Thats just him
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Tatase(f): 9:50am On Apr 07, 2009
gabrywyl:

Tatase,

Ok, thanks. Ill try that and see how it goes. have you ever had this problem before?

Not me. But a my friend's sister hated his girlfriend and used to have only nasty things to say about her when she came to visit (not as mean or as blatant as your sister though. but just little insults and digs and put-downs). And my friend just tried to make sure that they were kept separate and like his mom and cousin helped too by creating interference between the sister and the girlfriend so that they didn't have much interaction.
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 10:54am On Apr 07, 2009
Oh dear. . . So dont tell me if they get married, their going to be like that forever?
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by lildainty(f): 11:50am On Apr 07, 2009
@POSTER I DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND UR SISTER'S BEHAVIOUR TOWARDS U ND UR BF BUT I SUGEST U SHULD B NEUTRA ND KEEP DEM AWAY 4RM EACH ODA . . . . . . . . , DNT FTY UR SIS COS UR FAMILY WIL ALWS B DERE . . . . . . . . 6YEARS OF DAT LOVELY RELTNSHP SHULD NOT B A WASTE . . . . . . , . . cool cool
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by brutal(m): 12:45pm On Apr 07, 2009
Every white or foreign women wish to have a feel of d black man's sugarcane.she might secretly wishing and dying to have a thirst of it.y not arrange a black dude to Bleep d madness out of her 2 cool down d temperature. cry
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Gabry(f): 2:35pm On Apr 07, 2009
lil dainty:

@POSTER I DONT REALLY UNDERSTAND UR SISTER'S BEHAVIOUR TOWARDS U ND UR BF BUT I SUGEST U SHULD B NEUTRA ND KEEP DEM AWAY 4RM EACH ODA . . . . . . . . , DNT FTY UR SIS COS UR FAMILY WIL ALWS B DERE . . . . . . . . 6YEARS OF DAT LOVELY RELTNSHP SHULD NOT B A WASTE . . . . . . , . . cool cool

Yes ooo. . . I agree with you.

brutal:

Every white or foreign women wish to have a feel of d black man's sugarcane.she might secretly wishing and dying to have a thirst of it.y not arrange a black dude to mess d madness out of her 2 cool down d temperature. cry

shocked
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by unfaded(m): 2:51pm On Apr 07, 2009
@ gab, its unbelievable u're not a nigeria, u write like one,u even know the slangs,
there's nothing like family, you can't substitute ur bf for ur sister,
soldier go soldier come, you might not end u with ur bf, but u're stuck with ur sis for life
my advise, be very diplomatic
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Czarskit(m): 2:11am On Apr 08, 2009
~ Gabby, forget the both of 'em & be at my side ~ tongue
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by topup: 4:55am On Apr 08, 2009
brutal:

Every white or foreign women wish to have a feel of d black man's sugarcane.she might secretly wishing and dying to have a thirst of it.y not arrange a black dude to mess d madness out of her 2 cool down d temperature. cry

undecidedYou forget that you're advising a sister to set up a sex mate for her >>MARRIED<< sister just so that she can realise that once you go black you never go back. Lol.

Tough situation Gabrywyl, really it is, it seems you've tried really hard already, tried to argue it out, stick it through with him (6 years!!), tried the heart to heart. It seems the only thing left is to marry him (if you're planning to that is), she's being stubborn, and sometimes older sisters can be, especially if the type of relationship you have with her, is one that she's usually in control and advises you what to do. I hope she hasn't made any threats about disowning you as a sister, and I hope she's not being irresponsible.

Apart from being racist, are there any logical reasons why she detests the idea so much?? Is your boyfriend a worthy match - come now, let's hear the honest truth. Is he your perfect guy?? Or do you often complain about things he does to your sister??
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by Nobody: 5:01am On Apr 08, 2009

Its not like he doesnt like the food, just that he is trying to avoid taking too much sugar and my sister always loves sugary stuffs so she always buys sugary food for all of us and when someone is not eating, she will get offended.

Ehrrrm, all of you live in one house? shocked shocked
Hmm, so she wants to be diabetic, but he doesn't. Why don't you educate her on something called personal right and healthy food? undecided

To you it might be petty cause like what you said, you're the eldest. My sister is 5 years older than me and usually the eldest are always know for their bossy attitude. . .

Yes yes, I'm bossy, I won't lie about that grin grin
But I do know my limits. . . .Just tell her to chill out (nah, wnt work. wouldn't take that from my sis)
Why don't you do oyur own shopping undecided

I talked to my bf about this and he told me to ignore her but it just gets to my nerves. . . .

It's getting to your nerves because she's someone important to you.
Like I said before, all this can be solved if you do yourown shopping
Re: Boyfriend Or Sister? by dragonslay(m): 6:52am On Apr 08, 2009
angry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dating Your Boss / Am Finding It Difficult To Trust Men..........pls Advise Me / Love Triangle: University Senate Must Hear This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.