Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,066 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Tell Us About Your Marriage - Family (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tell Us About Your Marriage (83544 Views)

9 Tips For Keeping The Spark Alive In Your Marriage / Some "Lies" Our Parents Used To Tell Us / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by adeboo(f): 3:14pm On Jan 28, 2008
amsky:

@ adeboo

what's the meaning of oga o? you like that so much,please let me know.

you will find love of course. you already found it in me. wink grin grin

Oga o is 'na wa o'.

Found love in u? Thats true from the calvary kinda love nothing more o cause i love ma men too much. smiley
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by chychy(f): 5:58pm On Jan 28, 2008
This is an inspiring thread.

I aint married yet but i sure hope 2 God things turn out 4 me.

I want LOVE, LOVE LOVE
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by malaika(f): 10:32am On Jan 29, 2008
:-x
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by uchetobi(f): 10:48am On Jan 29, 2008
@Malaika how sweet and nice
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by uchetobi(f): 11:41am On Jan 29, 2008
flakylady:

hi all,

have been away on a romantic long weekend and just got back. Was lovely! anyway, nice to know that you guys are still interested. I guess in some ways we have had things very easy and we are very grateful for that. by the time we got engaged we had been together for almost 8 years so we had a lot of time to be sure of each other and our feelings.
The wedding:
the wedding was amazing! the best day of my life. We spent about 14 months planning it and because each of us were the first in our families to get married (first grandchild, cousin etc) it was a really big deal. We're both from catholic families (although we go to a baptist church now) so we got married in the catholic cathedral in the town we grew up in. We had about 300 guests (very big for england!), and a lot of family and friends came over from nigeria, america etc that I hadn't seen in years. He has a large family as well, it was like a huge family reunion! we both felt so loved by our families. There was no opposition at all, he gets on so well with my family, i don't know if its just having lived here for so long but my parents had no problem with me marrying an english guy. I don't think they've ever had a problem with race, tribe etc as long as I'm happy. My mum has looked on him as her own son for a long time now and he loves her to bits.
His family is great as well, they're quite a traditional, 'posh' english family but they've never made me feel anything but welcome and his mum is really lovely.
Anyway back to the wedding. we had an introduction the day before which was traditional with some westernized elements, we had it in a marquee in my parents garden. The wedding in the cathedral was beautiful, we had a nigerian choir, I had bridesmaids in strapless summer dresses and 'flower ladies' in traditional lace. It was a really joyous occasion. The reception was in a stately home in the countryside, we had a marquee in the grounds by a lake, with fairy lights in the trees. there were canapes and drinks in a little ornamental garden, then the guests went through to the marquee for a nigerian buffet, followed by very touching speeches, our first dance and then we had a nigerian band for a few hours (which everyone loved) and then a disco. We didn't stop dancing till about 1 in the morning. It was so lovely. We spent our first night in the stately home and left for our honeymoon 2 days later.
The best thing was we had a mix of both of our cultures, the nigerians loved it and so did the english people. So many people said it was the best wedding they'd ever been to.
Oh yeah, and by the grace of God, we managed to wait until our wedding night to sleep together!

here are some pics of the day:

this was just after the ceremony, in the church garden

those are my parents either side of us

my beautiful 'flower ladies', 3 cousins and my older sister in the reception marquee

my beautiful husband and I at the reception venue, it was a really lovely sunny day

will post more later!

How romantic, i especially luv the part of u guys managing to wait for 10 yrs and no sex, tats really inspiring. God bless u and ur marriage

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by adeboo(f): 12:36pm On Jan 29, 2008
Its nice when two people from different backgrounds such as urs have a wedding that has something for everybody from different parts.

@Malaika, dont worry girl - God said 'gone are the days when mothers will bury their young and none shall be barren in our land.
Just hold on to that cause when u do have the baby that will be ur Samuel that will be better than ten children.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by uchetobi(f): 12:51pm On Jan 29, 2008
oops i actually read d thread from begining 2d end, smiled and cried at some point.

Beautiful love story dere, Makes marriae seem worth while and someting to look 4wrd

Bagoma, Angelaz, Dablessed may God be ur husband and father 2 ur kids,
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by FunmyKemmy(f): 3:49pm On Jan 31, 2008
Marriage is beautiful.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Gamine(f): 6:51pm On Jan 31, 2008
Gooosh
i did feel a tad jealous ooh
i no go lie!

so beautiful

For those that lost their spouse
the Lord says he is the Husband to the husbandless!
its well!

i saw a pack of hyenas here once again
threatening to destroy a beautiful thing
Lord save us !
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by abbey10(m): 4:46pm On Feb 01, 2008
I started dating my wife in February 2003.I just got out of a wonderful relationship turned sour to meet my wife. She’s been selling shirts and boxers to me through my cousin before then. But I don’t know her too well.
My cousin told me she too had some problems with her fiancée even after their introduction.
One thing led to another, I discovered I really liked her. I took her out a couple of times and somehow I was able to tell her my mind. She initially expressed her misgivings given where we were coming from. She later agreed and immediately we said we were not going to waste time but start working on consummating the relationship.
We got married in August 2003. Her father and step mum were not in good speaking terms with her but after series of persuasion, the man reluctantly agreed. My mother in law; God bless her. She’s so wonderful.

My wife couldn’t get pregnant from then due to whatever reason. We were still on the issue when I was transferred out of Lagos to the East; Aba to be precise. It was a really trying period coming to Lagos every fortnight. At a point, I started having female friends there. Naturally, it affected my coming down to Lagos.
At a point, I sat my wife down and told her to choose between me and her business in Lagos. Staying alone was giving me much more problem than I could handle.

She finally agreed to come down to Aba with me. We had our fair share of crisis, majorly due to our no-issue state. Most of our siblings had given birth several times over. Friends started taunting us.

To God be the glory, she got pregnant early last year. She almost lost the baby somewhere around June but God was fully on the throne.
She put to bed to a bouncing baby boy in October, 2007. I was really afraid for her prior to her delivery because she became really bloated and gaining weight rapidly.

Anyway, she gave birth safely after like 40 mins in the labour room. The baby weighed 4.2Kg at birth.
As God will have it, the same month, I was promoted and transferred back to Lagos.

I see God’s hand mightily on our lives; the baby is doing very well.
TO GOD BE THE GLORY.

13 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by almondjoy(f): 2:10am On Feb 02, 2008
abbey10:

I started dating my wife in February 2003.I just got out of a wonderful relationship turned sour to meet my wife. She’s been selling shirts and boxers to me through my cousin before then. But I don’t know her too well.
My cousin told me she too had some problems with her fiancée even after their introduction.
One thing led to another, I discovered I really liked her. I took her out a couple of times and somehow I was able to tell her my mind. She initially expressed her misgivings given where we were coming from. She later agreed and immediately we said we were not going to waste time but start working on consummating the relationship.
We got married in August 2003. Her father and step mum were not in good speaking terms with her but after series of persuasion, the man reluctantly agreed. My mother in law; God bless her. She’s so wonderful.

My wife couldn’t get pregnant from then due to whatever reason. We were still on the issue when I was transferred out of Lagos to the East; Aba to be precise. It was a really trying period coming to Lagos every fortnight. At a point, I started having female friends there. Naturally, it affected my coming down to Lagos.
At a point, I sat my wife down and told her to choose between me and her business in Lagos. Staying alone was giving me much more problem than I could handle.

She finally agreed to come down to Aba with me. We had our fair share of crisis, majorly due to our no-issue state. Most of our siblings had given birth several times over. Friends started taunting us.

To God be the glory, she got pregnant early last year. She almost lost the baby somewhere around June but God was fully on the throne.
She put to bed to a bouncing baby boy in October, 2007. I was really afraid for her prior to her delivery because she became really bloated and gaining weight rapidly.

Anyway, she gave birth safely after like 40 mins in the labour room. The baby weighed 4.2Kg at birth.
As God will have it, the same month, I was promoted and transferred back to Lagos.

I see God’s hand mightily on our lives; the baby is doing very well.
TO GOD BE THE GLORY.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! How sweet! Goodluck hon' and may God add more blessings to your home! kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss

Any other guys in the house to share!!!!
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by oziomatv(m): 5:44pm On Feb 02, 2008
nice
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by RichyBlacK(m): 5:18pm On Feb 03, 2008
Finally! I read all 16 pages!!!

I'm grateful to all those who have shared their stories. I especially pray for those who have lost their loved ones unexpectedly. Special prayers to those seeking the fruit of the womb and those struggling with some form of health condition. May God in His Infinity Mercy guide you all, protect your families, and plant eternal joy in your hearts.

To all those seeking to get married, I pray that the Almighty be with you as you seek your life partner. I also want to thank Seun for starting such a beautiful thread. I couldn't stop reading until I chronologically read every post on the thread, a thread which has been described by some as the "best thread on Nairaland" - I fully concur with that statement.

I have learnt a lot about love, marriage, life, and death. Words alone cannot express my gratitude to those who have contributed to make this thread such an enjoyable read, indeed. Thank you all and keep the narratives coming!
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by JAZES(m): 11:58pm On Feb 04, 2008
Very interesting thread.
The best have seen on nairaland.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by chika98: 9:34am On May 31, 2008
This is a classic! Will always be my fav on nland
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Xiomarra: 8:11pm On May 31, 2008
Having a good time with my third marriage! cool  Looking forward to the 4th! tongue Too many nice men to choose from out there!
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by benincitys(f): 3:19am On Jun 01, 2008
thanks to all who share their story, i will share mine when i have time, sorry to those who lost their husband.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by yinkayinka: 12:38pm On Jun 05, 2008
[color=#000099]Hello all.this is a very nice thread,took me 4 days to read tru it all, I enjoyed evry bit of it.though am not yet married but ave learnt a graet deal to prepare me 4 dat institution.Seun ure 2much,thanks for such creativity.Danke Schon (thank u)[/color][size=8pt][/size]
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by noetic(m): 2:36am On Jun 14, 2008
I never knew a thread coul keep me up this late.

I wish all threads were like this and not the blasphemy going on
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by simi29: 3:36am On Jun 15, 2008
;d;d;d;
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by benincitys(f): 4:00am On Jun 15, 2008
simi 29 you are a lucky girl.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by simi29: 4:06am On Jun 15, 2008
Thank you, my sister.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by nezerst(f): 1:55pm On Jun 15, 2008
I met my husband thru a friend in 2004, just left sch and was hanging around for nysc.
At first we only planned 2 have a fling and move on cos we were involved with other people then.
But we kept coming back for more,we couldnt get enough of each other.
Then we feel in love, we didnt have much choice but to be together.
What I love most about him is the fact that he is a very God fearing person, focused and principled and I forgot
(too serious for my liking sometimes). I on the other hand is the free spirited and a lil bit unserious kind.
We sure balance each other out.
We had our customary wedding in 2007 and our church wedding 2008.
Our union was supported by both families.
We are expecting our first child.
Sometimes our difference gives me headache but love keeps me hanging in.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by fun4me2(f): 3:49pm On Jun 19, 2008
pls dont stop dis tread, its my best thread so farrrrr,
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by uchetobi(f): 2:52pm On Jun 20, 2008
Great to discover that this thread is still alive
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by ayomifull(f): 6:07pm On Jun 20, 2008
I'd like to know more about Nairaland members who are married! If you're married, we want to know things like:
- How you met your husband or wife.
- What attracted you to your husband or wife.
- Who proposed marriage, and how.
- Who opposed the marriage, and how you prevailed.
- The wedding, and the honeymoon
- DO you think you made a mistake choosing your partner?
- How often you're tempted to be unfaithful and how often you fall .
- How long you think the marriage will last.

How we met
I was just out of secondary school in 1990 and i was living in Abeokuta, i was with some of my friends (all boys) when he came in, he was living in Lagos and came to visit his friends, those were the friends i was with and when he came in it was like their hero just came in, they were extremely happy and hugged one another, he shook hands with me and said hi being the only girl there. We all left thereafter.

Few days later i was visiting these same set of friends and i came with my shoes wet, i had stepped on water while coming and was a little bit wet it was raining, when i came in i saw them all and he just looked at me and removed his shirt and offered me to clean my shoes with, that was crazy to me and i refused, he told me he was serious but i refused to take it. When i was leaving he offered to walk me down and we got talking and became friends, after sometime he expressed his love and we were dating.

Whenever he was in Egba we would see, though we were dating i refused to stay with him behind closed doors (my mother's warning was quite fresh on my mind). I was scared of him then because as a local egba girl i felt he might just want to use me and get away so i was careful. We lost contact in 1991 (not my fault no GSM then).

In 1992 while i was in school i met one of his friends who reminded me of him and told me his father has passed on and that at least for old time sake i should try to attend the burial in a week time, i took the address told my friends in school who advised me to attend and i did indeed. He was too excited and could not believe his eyes when we saw. The next morning afer the all night party we got talking and we continued from there, furtunately i had no serious relationship at the time (i had a number of relationships which never lasted for more than 3 months because i refused sex).

We were together since then until i graduated and we 'did it' in 1996 this was after making sure we were heading for the alter. In 1999 a friend tried coming between us and i decided to end it all but he would not let me, as much as i tried he told me he would marry me or no one and after lots and lots of apology i forgave him and we planned our wedding for the end of the year.

It was hard at the beginning so hard i almost regretted getting married because i still wanted to live my very single life but discovered some things has to change, if not for him the marriage would have hit the rock, he gently, lovingly and 'maturely' carried me along and helped me to adjust to the changes, sex was one of the major issues. To the glory of God i came out of it and have been enjoying my marriage since. My husband refused to let me get pregnant until he was sure i was ready for it - morally, physically, emotionally and psychologically, we are blessed with 2 guys now.

What attracted me

His maturity, physical attraction, respect for his family i believe if he respect his family he would respect me as well and the fact that he is from a family i was accepted into by all.

Who proposed

He did but not it was just like formality because we were already doing things that suggested we were heading for the alter, it was at Ikoyi hotel on a beautiful night.

Who opposed?

No one. Sincerely

The wedding

The normal elaborate church wedding in my church and the reception at OSCC.

The honeymoon

Went for homeymoon the next day we didnt have enough money then so we went to a quiet and beautiful hotel in Kwara State for 10 days.

Mistake marying him?

Not at all God gave me the best of them all, no one else could be patience with me and change my life this way, bring me up from being a 'girl' wife to a responsible woman.

Tempted?

Hunnnnnnnnnnn one would have thought that someone like me can never be tempted, i was decent and was never involved in any sexual relationship with any other guy except my husband but then something happended that nearly dragged me inside pit but for God. In all our several years together i never caught this guy in any scandal but sometimes after our wedding i read a text from a lady to him and i went mad, it was strange and it really shook me (its good to experience this kind of thing before wedding o to avoid this king of heartache), i kept to myself, i was dying and i told a guy i knew briefly about it, i just needed to speak with someone, he symphatised with me and we got talking he was giving me a shoulder to lean on then and one day his lip was almost on mine when i suddenly 'woke' and that was the end of my relationship with him, he apologised though but we never got talking intimately again.

How long it will last?

As long as we are still in love by the grace of God we will be until death do us part, apart from death the only thing that can end it is if my 'husband's enemy' makes the mistake of impregnating another person (God forbid, i cant stand that thing o, ordinary text almost ran me mad).

Now 9 years into it and i am loving it.

4 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by benincitys(f): 12:30am On Jun 22, 2008
ayomifull this is a great one i love it.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by atutupoyo(f): 1:05am On Jun 25, 2008
I just stumbled on this thread, its so interesting and educative. I started reading from 10 pm, got hooked and I have exams on Monday.

4 every one who shared part of their life with Nairalanders, Thank u.

Those u have lost their help meet, having problems in their marriages and have lost hope in having loving marriages, God is ur straight.

Pls more contributions, lets share and learn.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Agbon21: 10:43am On Jun 25, 2008
I met my wife in Summer of 2004 in the states. I had only been in the states for 8 months (Crazy right?) finishing my masters in Environmental Science. I happened to have her in the Organic chemistry lab I was teaching at the time. She was beautiful and the most intelligent student I had. And most of all, she was STUBBORN!!! She intrigued me.

I was hesitant, she was 20. But she was so matured and beautiful, I just felt like she guys had to be flocking over her. One day I pulled her out of class and asked her to stay behind and help me clean the lab (I didn't need help but I just wanted to TALK to her  wink) I then found out that she and her family was from Benin and I was very excited. She was beautiful, intelligent, AND from my tribe,  but it gets better,

So I finally got the nerve to ask her out and to my surprise she said yes with no hesitation. I took her out to eat, we walked on the canal near my house and we talked about love, family, and God. I fell in love with her that day, July 14th, 2004. We dated for 9 months and then I proposed to her. We got married July 14th 2005 and we had our twin girls, Imade and Osato on June 29th 2006. Really short but I am a direct kind of guy  cheesy.

True love does exist and when it finds you it completely changes everything. I am not the same man I was before her. Now I could not think of living without her. When I do it causes a physical pain in my chest and my heart stops beating. She is the beat of my heart. She is the breath in my chest. She is the strength in my arms. She is the dream in my mind. She is the name on my lips for the rest of time. Trust me, my wife is wonderful and amazing.

I hope that lets you all know that there is someone for all of us and that marriage IS all it is cracked up to be.  wink

18 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by fun4me2(f): 12:28pm On Jun 25, 2008
@aGBON -- AM SO HAPPY FOR U.

DAT WAS VERY ROMANTIC.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by skyline(f): 3:23pm On Jun 25, 2008
Can you believe that ever since i discovered this topic i have always been eager to log unto Nairaland.
Although it took me some days to go through the thread due to my being busy at work, but i'm glad i finally read through.
Wonderfull marriage experiences i'll say.
I wish i have one to tell now, but non yet.
I long to do that sometimes in the future by Gods grace.
I appreciate all of you that have contributed to this topic and pray for those that need comfort in particular.
I say to you that GOD HAS NOT FORSAKEN YOU smiley.
Please keep the gist flowing as i have learnt a great deal from all that i have read.
God bless us all and give us a happy marital life.
Amen.

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by myb4eva: 9:45am On Jun 26, 2008
Seun please I need a marriage counsellor as I have some issues that are really bothering my mind which I may not be able to write out in the open, please am serious about this and should you find any for me my email address is myb4eva@myway.com

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (28) (Reply)

10 Important Roles Of A Father / Husband Caught His Politician Wife In Bed With Their Adopted Son (Pictures) / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.