Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Tell Us About Your Marriage - Family (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Tell Us About Your Marriage (83545 Views)

9 Tips For Keeping The Spark Alive In Your Marriage / Some "Lies" Our Parents Used To Tell Us / HOW TO DEAL WITH YOUR MOTHER-IN-LAW TROUBLING YOUR MARRIAGE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Nobody: 8:49pm On Mar 09, 2007
awww wonderful story. Glad you had it so smooth flakylady. Yours is like a tale straight out of a romantic novel.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by bagoma(f): 9:27pm On Mar 09, 2007
yeah flaky, keep it coming. i'm enjoying every line. cheesy

feelgood, i will definitely like to hear abt the new experiences u want to share. so pls dont take too long. cheesy
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by feelgood(m): 4:10am On Mar 10, 2007
Bagoma, where have you been all this while? I've missed you girl.
Will be sharing mine later- after the two ladies that is
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by bagoma(f): 10:50pm On Mar 10, 2007
hi feelgood, i've been very busy. so good to know i was missed. thanks, missed you all too. cheesy
hopefully, things will change for the better.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by flakylady(f): 3:50pm On Mar 12, 2007
hi all,

have been away on a romantic long weekend and just got back. Was lovely! anyway, nice to know that you guys are still interested. I guess in some ways we have had things very easy and we are very grateful for that. by the time we got engaged we had been together for almost 8 years so we had a lot of time to be sure of each other and our feelings.
The wedding:
the wedding was amazing! the best day of my life. We spent about 14 months planning it and because each of us were the first in our families to get married (first grandchild, cousin etc) it was a really big deal. We're both from catholic families (although we go to a baptist church now) so we got married in the catholic cathedral in the town we grew up in. We had about 300 guests (very big for england!), and a lot of family and friends came over from nigeria, america etc that I hadn't seen in years. He has a large family as well, it was like a huge family reunion! we both felt so loved by our families. There was no opposition at all, he gets on so well with my family, i don't know if its just having lived here for so long but my parents had no problem with me marrying an english guy. I don't think they've ever had a problem with race, tribe etc as long as I'm happy. My mum has looked on him as her own son for a long time now and he loves her to bits.
His family is great as well, they're quite a traditional, 'posh' english family but they've never made me feel anything but welcome and his mum is really lovely.
Anyway back to the wedding. we had an introduction the day before which was traditional with some westernized elements, we had it in a marquee in my parents garden. The wedding in the cathedral was beautiful, we had a nigerian choir, I had bridesmaids in strapless summer dresses and 'flower ladies' in traditional lace. It was a really joyous occasion. The reception was in a stately home in the countryside, we had a marquee in the grounds by a lake, with fairy lights in the trees. there were canapes and drinks in a little ornamental garden, then the guests went through to the marquee for a nigerian buffet, followed by very touching speeches, our first dance and then we had a nigerian band for a few hours (which everyone loved) and then a disco. We didn't stop dancing till about 1 in the morning. It was so lovely. We spent our first night in the stately home and left for our honeymoon 2 days later.
The best thing was we had a mix of both of our cultures, the nigerians loved it and so did the english people. So many people said it was the best wedding they'd ever been to.
Oh yeah, and by the grace of God, we managed to wait until our wedding night to sleep together!

here are some pics of the day:

this was just after the ceremony, in the church garden

those are my parents either side of us

my beautiful 'flower ladies', 3 cousins and my older sister in the reception marquee

my beautiful husband and I at the reception venue, it was a really lovely sunny day

will post more later!

5 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Nobody: 3:57pm On Mar 12, 2007
God bless your marriage!!!

wink
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by jaybaby(f): 5:38pm On Mar 12, 2007
Hmmmmmmm Waoh Nice story--- U really got us goin with it!

Very BEAUTIFUL Man u got der wink

Hmmmm My own Story is Coming let me go & Put More salt & Pepper in2 It cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by flakylady(f): 6:02pm On Mar 12, 2007
thanks jaybaby i think he's beautiful too!

looking forward to your story too smiley
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by bagoma(f): 9:03pm On Mar 12, 2007
wow! flakylady, i'm so thrilled for you. cheesy cheesy
God bless your marriage. smiley
i take it, its been blissful all through. how abt your first quarrel after marriage? how did you resolve it? or has there been none? wink
i really love your story and i think your husband is beautiful too. cheesy

jaybaby, make sure you put enough salt, pepper and dont forget maggi o. grin grin cheesy. i mean the story must sweet well well o. cheesy cheesy cheesy
come on girl, out with it, my ears are itching. cheesy
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by flakylady(f): 9:50pm On Mar 12, 2007
thanks bagoma, luckily he thinks im beautiful too!

we had a 7 week honeymoon in malaysia, thailand and vietnam (it was beautiful) then came back to england. We've been married for about 8 months now. We have had our share of quarrels, mainly because i can be a bit stubborn sometimes and so can he. i almost feel like i want to make up a big argument though, because i can't think of anything serious. We probably had more issues in the 8 years before we were married, about where we were going to live, i was more academic than him at school and uni so that sometimes caused problems, sometimes (even still) i wish he would be a bit more outgoing. But to be honest, and I suppose we're still in the honeymoon stage it just feels amazing to be together all the time and to have each other. he tells me he loves me every day, he does little things for me all the time, for instance i don't drive yet so he drives me to and from work every day. we share all the cooking and the housework and we live near my family so we have them round for dinner quite regularly.
Anyway Im sorry if it all sounds a bit too good to be true, to be honest we often feel so blessed to be so happy together and we try not to take it for granted. We're still a young couple (25 and 26) and have good jobs and no children so i suppose we haven't got a lot of problems to deal with yet. It has been really enlightening reading all the stories on this thread and i know things won't always be this easy, its nice to have examples of how other people have dealt with their problems.

so bring on the stories!!

5 Likes

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by nnenneigbo(f): 12:34am On Mar 13, 2007
that was just such a lovely story. so know what you mean about want that big ol argument. God bless you

ps wedding dress was too beautiful
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Nobody: 2:30am On Mar 13, 2007
Wow! this was some wonderful romance story! Only that this time this one was true.
Best wishes in your marriage!
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Bhola(f): 1:23am On Mar 14, 2007
Great story, Flakylady. That is such a nice story. Happy for you guys. Love the part, of not sleeping together, until you got married. That is so nice.

Not to worry, as long as your marriage is based on Christ, it will be well.

More stories o. Calling on all the married people o. We want more stories. Thanks.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by spoilt(f): 2:51am On Mar 23, 2007
Wow! this was some wonderful romance story! Only that this time this one was true.
Best wishes in your marriage!

davidylan inshort the rest were lies? . na you know!
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by 4Play(m): 2:56am On Mar 23, 2007
flakylady:

i almost feel like i want to make up a big argument though, because i can't think of anything serious.

You see how women are,even when things are going well,they "want to make up a big argument" .

This was a rare moment of candour from a lady but an insight into the female tendency to argue for no discernible reason grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by spoilt(f): 2:59am On Mar 23, 2007
@4play
na u sabi! i knew you were going to highlight that part!
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Nobody: 3:08am On Mar 23, 2007
spoilt:

davidylan inshort the rest were lies? . na you know!

this one sef na one more example in the female tendency to argue without cause!  grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by spoilt(f): 3:11am On Mar 23, 2007
@davidylan

i knew you were going to add fire! i just knew it! grin. when a woman needs attention she's allowed to stir stuff up! so the guy can look her way! no harm intended.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Nobody: 3:17am On Mar 23, 2007
spoilt:

@davidylan

i knew you were going to add fire! i just knew it! grin. when a woman needs attention she's allowed to stir stuff up! so the guy can look her way! no harm intended.

na wa o. . . see the excuse for nagging already being tendered.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by spoilt(f): 3:21am On Mar 23, 2007
see you! its not nagging. guys stir stuff up too. 8 years without an arguement? are they robots? shocked shocked
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Nobody: 3:25am On Mar 23, 2007
i'm yet to see a woman confess to being a nag (not even my mother!). Keep sugar coating it by calling it "stirring stuff up".  grin

Men stirr stuff up, women continue to perfect the art of nagging. . .  may God help us in marriage.

These pictures sef are making me think of marriage o! stop am!
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by spoilt(f): 3:28am On Mar 23, 2007
an old saying goes "wherever there's a nag, there's a fool".
women just dont yak away without reason. guys seem to be hard of hearing sometimes.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Nobody: 3:31am On Mar 23, 2007
spoilt:

women just don't yak away without reason. guys seem to be hard of hearing sometimes.

Really? Two examples where highlighted above to debunk ur theory. grin grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by 4Play(m): 3:31am On Mar 23, 2007
spoilt:

see you! its not nagging. guys stir stuff up too. 8 years without an arguement? are they robots?   shocked shocked

We are not saying that they should never argue but that women,as the initial poster inadvertenly admitted,stir up arguments when "they can't think of anything serious"

I have noticed something in life.Anytime you ask an elderly man what makes a succesful marriage,90% of time they will tell you to avoid arguing with your wife.The emphasis is on managing your woman's naggings.

There was a study that showed that the average woman uses 30% more words than a man in a day

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by acidrop(f): 3:34am On Mar 23, 2007
@spoilt because say na u be the only chick here, na make them they lash out at u like this, dont worry am here grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by bagoma(f): 9:27pm On Mar 23, 2007
very funny, flakky see wetin you cause o. lol cheesy cheesy cheesy

@ spoilt, i agree with you 1000% all men are hard of hearing which explains 4play's 30% more talk.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Coco29(f): 9:31pm On Mar 23, 2007
4 Play:

We are not saying that they should never argue but that women,as the initial poster inadvertenly admitted,stir up arguments when "they can't think of anything serious"

I have noticed something in life.Anytime you ask an elderly man what makes a succesful marriage,90% of time they will tell you to avoid arguing with your wife.The emphasis is on managing your woman's naggings.

There was a study that showed that the average woman uses 30% more words than a man in a day

angry so i use 30% more words than you huh angry
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by spoilt(f): 9:48pm On Mar 23, 2007
very funny, flakky see wetin you cause o. lol   

@bagoma
i tire oh! the girl dey her own jeje. we dey here dey debate her argument pattern with her husband!  grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by uyai(f): 12:30am On Mar 26, 2007
hmm
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Nobody: 12:48am On Mar 26, 2007
kai!! That guy must have a special kind of patience. Kudos to you both.
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by spoilt(f): 12:56am On Mar 26, 2007
goodluck to you. i have a feeling he's your husband too. grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Marriage by Nobody: 12:58am On Mar 26, 2007
women sef na wa! If the other guys were not such idiots will you have known he was ur husband? You're very lucky, many men would not give you a second look after the first 2 experiences.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (28) (Reply)

10 Important Roles Of A Father / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) / My Son Caught I And His Mother In The Most Embarassing Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.