Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here - Business (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here (4744395 Views)

If You Are (uber/Taxify (bolt) e-hailing Partner In Port Harcourt, Come In. / If You Are Uber Partner In Abuja, Please Share Your Experience Here / See How To Register As An Uber Partner In Lagos Or Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (5690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by toyclicks: 9:32am On May 21, 2017
Romeo3:
go to LIRS. won't take 20 mins

Pls o, kindly describe the LIRS office o. Any documents to take along?
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 9:40am On May 21, 2017
bigass:

Even though Uber thinks more of riders than drivers but i Like your spirit.

How many miles do you do per day and on how many litres of fuel.
the truth is that drivers are not forsaken. ever since the price reduction i havent noticed a drop in revenue.

on paper it looks like uber thinks more of riders but in reality it isnt true.

let me explain.

* there is a weekly hourly guarantee of 1400 on weekdays and 1500 on weekends. this mean that as a driver no matter what happens you either make 1500 an hr or uber makes up 1500 an hour for you.

* there are surges daily which doubkes or sometimes triple the price riders pay.

* there was a 1.3 guarantee through out this week. 1.3 means a 30% amount of the ride you just took. which is applied after uber removes their 25%.

then this week, if you drive 50 hrs online, you are entitled to 400 naira per trip. if you take 50 trips that week thats extra 20,000.

it all makes sense. but majority of drivers do not see it.

i do about 1200 miles a week.

Fuel from NNPC if i buy 3000 naira, i make about 15,000 from it.

now i dont drive around looking for the next trip unlike before.

2 Likes

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 9:43am On May 21, 2017
toyclicks:

Pls o, kindly describe the LIRS office o. Any documents to take along?
i did mine inside at FRSC Ojodu. Justbdrivers license
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 9:44am On May 21, 2017
bare1:

But this car has more than 100,000 kmph mileage, I thought Uber doesn't accept more than that?
they concentrate on how efficient the car runs now

1 Like

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by bare1(m): 9:46am On May 21, 2017
Romeo3:
they concentrate on how efficient the car runs now

Okay thanks.
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by OlugbengaE: 11:09am On May 21, 2017
Competition is good

1 Like

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by OlugbengaE: 11:28am On May 21, 2017
Now I see why many see you as Uber representative. The question Iasked was how many litre of fuel per day and you had to write all this epistle?

All the same thanks for the explanation

The Explanation is sound but no matter the explanation, Uber just alike any other company thinks more about its customers(riders) than 'employees'(drivers)
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Nobody: 11:39am On May 21, 2017
OlugbengaE:

Now I see why many see you as Uber representative. The question I asked was how many litre of fuel per day and you had to write all this epistle?

All the same thanks for the explanation

The truth Uber thinks more about the riders who are the customers just like any company

Egbon I think Romeo3 is rite. Even tho uber fares are low but as soon as u drop a customer u wont drive for 2mins b4 u pick another. I belive one can make that figure. Sometimes i wait for 1 or 2 hrs and even drive up and down before i pick a client on Taxify. Uber is more common sha. But Taxify dey try. This past week i made 46k.

1 Like

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by bigass(f): 12:00pm On May 21, 2017

Romeo3

From the way spoke its obvious alot of intending/current partners do not understand how the system works. When i went to do my screening which i failed due to some reasons(wornout tyres bad A/C and a bad sprinkler), all the people I met said current partners/drivers complained that Uber is no longer profitable.
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by bigass(f): 12:15pm On May 21, 2017
It was only a year ago that Uber declared Lagos was potentially bigger than its London market, such was the unleashed pent-up demand for convenient and comfortable rides among the megacity’s fast-growing middle class.
But in recent weeks, the narrative has taken a very different turn as its push to win as many customers as possible in the face of stiffer competition has led to severe clashes with its drivers.
The problems and disputes had been quietly brewing for a long while and point to the difficulty of translating the Uber model to a cutthroat and difficult market like Lagos.
Uber’s Lagos drivers went on strike last month soon after the ride-sharing giant slashed fares by 40%. Uber argued the fare cut “should get more people requesting more rides” but drivers say they are being short-changed by the company.
Controversy around revenue-sharing with drivers isn’t unique to Uber Lagos, of course. The ride-sharing giant has dealt with the issue in many cities around the world in the United States, United Kingdom, South Africa and Kenya, among others. For the most part, Uber continues to seem to get away with such driver complaints. In Kenya, it even got the government’s support against Uber Nairobi drivers.
One Lagos driver who spoke to Quartz says Uber’s refusal to reduce its commission even while cutting the fares for customers has led to some drivers devising private ways of making money within the Uber ecosystem.
“Some of my colleagues are asking passengers to allow them to take the trip offline so that it would appear as if the ride was cancelled and Uber will not be collecting any commission from the cash payment the driver would receive,” claims the driver, who asked not to be identified.
One danger of that practice is it opens up drivers to the added risk of some of the criminal elements of Lagos. In April, an Uber driver was murdered after he’d made a private arrangement with a customer who was part of a gang of armed robbers.
Local Uber drivers say they were aghast at what they perceived to be the company’s attempts to distance itself from responsibility connected to the murder case. That bolstered their decision to go on strike say some drivers. Now they are demanding better safety response plans from Uber including improved rider verification. But their main gripe is they want Uber to drop the 40% fare promotion and reduce its commission from 25% to 10%.
Uber’s driver troubles come just as an Estonian-founded e-hailing app Taxify expanded to Nigeria. Even though Lagos has well over a dozen mostly homegrown e-hailing apps, few have been able to give Uber meaningful competition for any length of time in the three years since it launched in Lagos.
Yet, Taxify seems to have made something of a dent, however small. It could be its timing has just been better than other rivals, arriving at a time of upheaval for Uber in Lagos. Its strategy is to fight for market share without taking on deep-pocketed Uber in a cash battle. Instead it is trying to get the drivers on its side.
“We treat driver-partners better so that they can offer high quality service to customers,” says Taxify’s operation manager in Lagos, Uche Okafor. He points to its commission of 15% versus 20-25% versus its competitors. That lower commission probably helps offset its own 40% fare cut in competition with Uber Lagos.
In an unusual competitor move, just a few days after Uber’s 40% fare cut was announced Taxify actually halved its customer discount to 20% from 40%. This, in effect, allowed drivers to earn even more per trip and this put more pressure on Uber to reverse its price slash.
Taxify is rapidly expanding and gaining traction in Africa even though it has only raised €2 million compared to eight-year old Uber which had raised more than $15 billion in equity and debt by last year. Based on conversations with drivers and following their social media chatter, it seems more Uber Lagos drivers are joining the Taxify platform and are either on both platforms or have switched sides completely.
Uber’s difficulties in Lagos are also highlighted by how it has had to cut back its geographical coverage of the sprawling city. It now aims to restrict its drivers to the upmarket Lagos island areas of Ikoyi, Victoria Island and Lekki and closer mainland neighborhoods like Yaba
It means more drivers will be concentrated in a smaller area so there’ll be more drivers competing for Uber requests even though the number of passengers won’t necessarily rise. Uber says it wants to ensure there are fewer “dead kilometers” between trips. “We’ve reduced our service area from where you can request trips, to make sure that there is more reliability in the core areas of Lagos,” it said in a statement. “This smaller service area means more reliable rides when you need them.”
Driver efficiency

A likely trigger is Lagos’ notorious traffic jams particularly between the island neighborhoods where one presumes a lot of Uber’s customers are located, and the farther outskirts of Lagos beyond the core mainland. Uber is saying you can take an Uber from the island to anywhere in Lagos but don’t expect to get an Uber from there back to the island.
“This will ensure efficiency for drivers in Lagos as it will lower estimated times of arrival (ETA) for riders as more driver-partners are made available around the core service area,” says Uber.
Anecdotally, using Uber in Lagos can be a bit hit and miss, especially if you’re outside what it now sees as its core coverage areas. Ride waiting times can suddenly escalate from an initial promise of five minutes to 15 minutes or more and then keep refreshing without any time change till the rider gives up and cancels to request a ride again.
From Uber’s perspective a driver is usually in one of three states: sitting idle waiting for a trip; on their way to pick up a rider; or carrying a rider to their destination which is the only time a driver’s earning a fare. Uber argues by restricting the Lagos coverage area it will lower estimated times of arrivals and increase the time in an hour when a driver is earning a fare. “The best way to do that is by offering riders a ETA that’s hard to refuse.”
It could be another opportunity for rivals to win more riders from Uber, but in truth the Lagos vehicle traffic can be so bad between the various deeper suburbs of Lagos that the rivals may eventually find it makes sense to mimic Uber in limiting the reach of their service.
Naturally, Uber describes this all as fair game. “Competition and choice mean we all have to up our game, and constantly innovate to improve our service and quality,” Uber said in another statement.
Taxify agrees increased competition in a city the size of Lagos with over 20 million people, is inevitable and will help ease the transport difficulties here. “Ride-hailing technology has the potential of easing up a lot of tension,” says Taxify’s Okafor. “One vehicle servicing the transport needs of up to 50 residents would lead to reduced traffic bottlenecks and a saner city.”

https://qz.com/986037/uber-and-its-rivals-are-struggling-to-keep-both-drivers-and-riders-happy-in-lagos/
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 1:27pm On May 21, 2017
bigass:

From the way spoke its obvious alot of intending/current partners do not understand how the system works. When i went to do my screening which i failed due to some reasons(wornout tyres bad A/C and a bad sprinkler), all the people I met said current partners/drivers complained that Uber is no longer profitable.
Nope. they dont.

fix those stuff and go back again. as i type to you right now i am about to go online for the first time since 4 pm yesterday cos i have been resting and know i will work long hours.

tomorrow i'll take my car in for checks. i check my car every monday.

i know what i am doing.

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 1:32pm On May 21, 2017
just bought 3k fuel at nnpc.
will update when the reserve light goes on.

1 Like

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Carshopper(m): 2:00pm On May 21, 2017
E-hailing is business n serious business. It show's one how to building n retain strategy to bring about effective ROIs.

It's not really about showing ur dashboard or earnings that proves you r lagging or breaking even.

We learn everyday and every venture we uptake is a business in it's own rights cus you have put in a certain degree of resource.

How can you equate your ROI on uber/taxify? How can you justify your earnings?

If you earnings isn't bringing back 10-15% ROI on investment then we need to stop shouting and start helping each other on how to effectively change and maintain strategy.

Share ideas...not brag which app dey bam or question why one''s earnings shouldn't b.

I have learnt some good pointers to build good strategy from @romeo which I will share with my drivers

1 Like

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Losami(m): 2:06pm On May 21, 2017
hi guys, please i am about to get a car for uber/taxify and i really don't know how it works. please can someone help out with details such as getting a good driver, how much would be paid into my account, what cost do i need to bare, is the maintenance of the car on me, what type of car and year should i get and what necessary documents i need and also which of the company should i register for (taxify or uber)
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 21, 2017
Losami:
hi guys, please i am about to get a car for uber/taxify and i really don't know how it works. please can someone help out with details such as getting a good driver, how much would be paid into my account, what cost do i need to bare, is the maintenance of the car on me, what type of car and year should i get and what necessary documents i need and also which of the company should i register for (taxify or uber)

Drive urself!! Or open a business for ur driver lol...

2 Likes

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Stealth100: 3:02pm On May 21, 2017
Romeo3:
the truth is that drivers are not forsaken. ever since the price reduction i havent noticed a drop in revenue.

on paper it looks like uber thinks more of riders but in reality it isnt true.

let me explain.

* there is a weekly hourly guarantee of 1400 on weekdays and 1500 on weekends. this mean that as a driver no matter what happens you either make 1500 an hr or uber makes up 1500 an hour for you.

* there are surges daily which doubkes or sometimes triple the price riders pay.

* there was a 1.3 guarantee through out this week. 1.3 means a 30% amount of the ride you just took. which is applied after uber removes their 25%.

then this week, if you drive 50 hrs online, you are entitled to 400 naira per trip. if you take 50 trips that week thats extra 20,000.

it all makes sense. but majority of drivers do not see it.

i do about 1200 miles a week.

Fuel from NNPC if i buy 3000 naira, i make about 15,000 from it.

now i dont drive around looking for the next trip unlike before.

Your assertions sound too good to be true. The truth is your are more likely to make more than 1500 gross per hour if you accept 80% of your trips so that guarantee is not really an incentive to me. The real issue is the amount of work you must have done within that hour would be way more than your earning.
With what Uber is offering and for anyone to make as much as you're making weekly, one would have to work for long hours, minimum of 12 to 15hrs a day. The beauty of driving on Uber for most people is that you have control over your time, and you don't have to work your ass off to make good money. At the rate you're working, if your car doesn't break down soon, God forbid you will. Also,how do you make time to attend to personal pressing matters with the loooong hours you're doing?

3 Likes

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Stealth100: 3:07pm On May 21, 2017
Yeah, you get trips more often now but most times they come from long distance because there are not as many drivers to cover everywhere. Also, if most Uber drivers return, let's say 50% of those that have left I bet you will open another account to join the rest of us in cursing Uber
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 3:14pm On May 21, 2017
pessimists would never get it.... wetin concern person with my personal time and how i choose to use my hours? you want to tell me how to drive my car and also how to live my life? these people are too funny.

my car goes for check up every 7 days. and the interior gets vacuumed 3 times a week so come and break it down let me see you. tsk.

2 Likes

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by fantastique4: 3:15pm On May 21, 2017
slamstanlee:
No need to hate taxify for uber or vice versa, the best is to use both apps especially if you are on rental. Do i have a witness in the house.? My new corolla hitting the road next week tho
god bless u bro
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 4:25pm On May 21, 2017
Losami:
buy a toyota corolla.

get it registered.

get it comprehensively insured.

take the car for uber certification test

go to ubernigeria.com

register as a partner

upload your docs

then getting a driver is easy

1 Like

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by bigass(f): 4:26pm On May 21, 2017
Romeo3:
pessimists would never get it.... wetin concern person with my personal time and how i choose to use my hours? you want to tell me how to drive my car and also how to live my life? these people are too funny.

my car goes for check up every 7 days. and the interior gets vacuumed 3 times a week so come and break it down let me see you. tsk.

Bro you need to calm down down. The way you respond to critics is very bad. See my husband used to work for company who overuses him and pay over time each time he worked beyond official hours. He loved it because of the money. Now he got another job that pays him X2 of his former salary. He doesn't need to work overtime again.
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by bigass(f): 4:29pm On May 21, 2017
Romeo3:
buy a toyota corolla.

get it registered.

get it comprehensively insured.

take the car for uber certification test

go to ubernigeria.com

register as a partner

upload your docs

then getting a driver is easy

My friend wants to put a 2004 rav4 would that make sense?
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by bigass(f): 4:33pm On May 21, 2017
Romeo3:
just bought 3k fuel at nnpc.

will update when the reserve light goes on.

Which NNPC?
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by OAKSFIVEFARMS: 4:37pm On May 21, 2017
obitee69:

Drive urself!! Or open a business for ur driver lol...
https://www.nairaland.com/3374339/make-money-uber
Read up on Uber here on my thread
We can help you with that
Call us
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by OAKSFIVEFARMS: 4:38pm On May 21, 2017
Losami:

Hello, read up on Uber here on my thread.
We can help you out with that.
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by OAKSFIVEFARMS: 4:39pm On May 21, 2017
Losami:

Hello, read up on Uber here on my thread.
We can help you with that
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 4:50pm On May 21, 2017
bigass:

Bro you need to calm down down. The way you respond to critics is very bad. See my husband used to work for company who overuses him and pay over time each time he worked beyond official hours. He loved it because of the money. Now he got another job that pays him X2 of his former salary. He doesn't need to work overtime again.
* I dont work long hours daily.
* i am not obligated to work long hours. i work long hours when and if i feel like. i went offline yesterday by 4pm despite the fact that the whole of lagos was on a surge.
came online this afternoon. after almost 24 hrs

people use a lot of excuses to make up for their inadequacies. let me reply critics the way i deem fit, afterall, they criticize the way they deem fit. what is good for the goose.....

if they cannot take the heat, they have no business being in the kitchen in the first place.

happy for your husband.

2 Likes

Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 4:53pm On May 21, 2017
bigass:

Which NNPC?
any one on a major road
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Romeo3(m): 4:54pm On May 21, 2017
bigass:

My friend wants to put a 2004 rav4 would that make sense?
if it's tokunbo, yes
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Cheidy(m): 5:21pm On May 21, 2017
Losami:
hi guys, please i am about to get a car for uber/taxify and i really don't know how it works. please can someone help out with details such as getting a good driver, how much would be paid into my account, what cost do i need to bare, is the maintenance of the car on me, what type of car and year
should i get and what necessary documents i need and also which of the company should i register for (taxify or uber)

Buy a Toyota corolla because of fuel economy, sign up on Uber, book an appointment with Uber and go to their office, for more info visit their website..
Re: If You Are Uber Partner In Lagos, Please Share Your Experience Here by Cheidy(m): 5:22pm On May 21, 2017
if you have a car registered on Uber and you are looking for an Uber driver.. call 08176375216

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (5690) (Reply)

Football (+Other Sports) Betting Season 12 / ➜ ➜ ➜Currency/E-currency Market Deals➜ ➜ ➜ / Bankers For Baba-Ijebu (Premier-Lotto).

Viewing this topic: Kaymaxi2222(m), pope191 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.