Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,888 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard (33154 Views)

GEJ Urges The Implementation Nat"l Conference Report - Vanguard / FG Appoints Florence Anyanwu As Auditor-general Of The Federation (Acting) / SGF Directs Auditor-general, Ukura To Retire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by donodion(m): 9:27pm On Oct 12, 2015
Adminisher:

SILLY post.
We finally have a president who knows his job, knows his own mind and has a point of view. Contrast with Dr Clueless who will nod his head and ask.."where do I sign?"
hehehehe laff wan faint me o.
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by seunmsg(m): 9:27pm On Oct 12, 2015
VenusBetty:
tot as gini? do you work there too?

Yeap
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Gboliwe: 9:27pm On Oct 12, 2015
LMAO. It's difficult dealing with a NEPA certified terrorist.
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by delvinmaya(m): 9:28pm On Oct 12, 2015
I wish Oga Seun could hurry up with the dislike button. Abi the button don day nairaland way I no know.
Apologies to no-one but if anybody can still support the president after his mistake was highlighted(qho even knows if such an event took place), then for sure we have a long way to go in Nigeria. Am not a lawyer but if such event took place, then not only did the president fall foul of the constitution he vowed to uphold but also he risks being impeached.
And that's why I feel his action should be examined intelligently . Comparing him to GEJ or hailing him is tantamount to saying that we are a lawless society.

2 Likes

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Nobody: 9:29pm On Oct 12, 2015
seunmsg:

Yeap
which of the Audit Departments?
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by ismyheal75: 9:30pm On Oct 12, 2015
RockMaxi:

Do you understand the gist at all.
A 73 years old president was able to remind a much younger auditor general of the importance and cost of a project that was done 8-10 years ago. Probably the auditor thought he could just muddle up reports and make presentations like the usual norm.

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 12, 2015
alcmene:
Everything aint just right in this government....

No clear-cut direction cry
You should be proud that you have a president with sense of details. He didn't sit out the presentation like a statue; nodding to the technical jargon of the 'experts'

1 Like

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Nobody: 9:30pm On Oct 12, 2015
alcmene:

You should be proud that you have a president with sense of details. He didn't sit out the presentation like a statue; nodding to the technical jargon of the 'experts'
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by bummyla(m): 9:30pm On Oct 12, 2015
Drama has started oooh! why come to the presido unprepared! LORD have mercy! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 12, 2015
And after all the insults on Buhari?

Well nairaland is a ''pressure safety valve'' where we all vent steam. Seun does not know the type of service he has rendered to many Nigerian youths.

They would have imploded and exploded from annoyance.

1 Like

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by seunmsg(m): 9:32pm On Oct 12, 2015
VenusBetty:
which of the Audit Departments?

Will send you a pm. This is an open forum.
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Gboliwe: 9:32pm On Oct 12, 2015
Abbeyme:
How can Accountant-General of the Federation say some spendings are outside of its accounting scope...

That is irresponsibility...

Read again, try and make sense of it before rushing to show your ignorance. For starters, it's the Auditor General and NOT Accountant General we are talking about. These two are clearly different.

2 Likes

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by engineerboat(m): 9:35pm On Oct 12, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
The President should have understood the protocol before arguing with the AGF.
From GMB to PMB converted democrat indeed, a leopard cannot change the colour of its skin
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by mapet: 9:36pm On Oct 12, 2015
seunmsg:
TonyeBarcanista:

Did the president invite him to table the brief or not?

I don't know if he was invited or not. But the constitution is very clear that all his audit report should go to the National assembly. Beside, the Auditor General does not take direction or orders from anyone.

Section 85 (5) The Auditor-General shall, within ninety days of receipt of the Accountant-General's financial statement, submit his reports under this section to each House of the National Assembly and each House shall cause the reports to be considered by a committee of the House of the National Assembly responsible for public accounts. (6) In the exercise of his functions under this Constitution, the Auditor-General shall not be subject to the direction or control of any other authority.

OMG! here we go again with comprehension deficit.
@seunmsg, before you go too far with your misguided interpretation of the constitution, note the following

1. Where is the report was it stated that what the Auditor General was presenting was the receipt of the Accountant-General's financial statements
2. Who told you the President cannot summon the Auditor General for a strategic meeting or presentation requiring his presence?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by CACAWA(m): 9:37pm On Oct 12, 2015
seunmsg:

I don't know if he was invited or not. But the constitution is very clear that all his audit report should go to the National assembly. Beside, the Auditor General does not take direction or orders from anyone.

Section 85 (5) The Auditor-General shall, within ninety days of receipt of the Accountant-General's financial statement, submit his reports under this section to each House of the National Assembly and each House shall cause the reports to be considered by a committee of the House of the National Assembly responsible for public accounts. (6) In the exercise of his functions under this Constitution, the Auditor-General shall not be subject to the direction or control of any other authority.

Please stop misleading the public. The school of thought that believes interpretation of the constitution should strictly remain in the purview of the judiciary are clearly justified. You only quoted section 85 subsection 5 without quoting (if at all such exists) the part that bars the Auditor General from presenting his report to the President, finance ministry, FAAC or NEC.

For the benefit of doubt, in the course of house-keeping and budgetary planning, the president and finance ministry reserve the right to make due, total and comprehensive consultations to relevant agencies including the judiciary, the bureau of statistics and the Auditor General's office. I specifically mentioned these three organisations for you to appreciate the fact that although they must be independent bodies, the president still has every right to consult them in the course of national planning.

The section of the constitution you quoted only gives credence to the independence of the Auditor General's office in carrying out his job of AUDITING.

No one has breached the constitution and thanks for your observation albeit wrong.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Lakeland4321: 9:37pm On Oct 12, 2015
Adminisher:
[/b]

A president who remembers details of a study done during Obasanjo regime. That is a President that is switched on.
Only Awo, Obj and Yaradua have ever displayed that detailed knowledge and concentration on what happens in government. Abacha and Shagari would have fallen asleep during the briefing. Gowon would have asked too many questionsc directed at the super permanent Secretaries.Murtala Muhammed would have told the man to hurry up with his recommendation he wants to take his decision there and then.
tinsel:
People commenting on what they know is a fake news. Una get too much time.
Adminisher:
[b]

A president who remembers details of a study done during Obasanjo regime. That is a President that is switched on.
Only Awo, Obj and Yaradua have ever displayed that detailed knowledge and concentration on what happens in government. Abacha and Shagari would have fallen asleep during the briefing. Gowon would have asked too many questionsc directed at the super permanent Secretaries.Murtala Muhammed would have told the man to hurry up with his recommendation he wants to take his decision there and then.
Was Awo a former president?
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by nicedas(m): 9:39pm On Oct 12, 2015
;Dhmmmmmm, and this dude is from d southern confused party abi,rago kawai, oponu
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 12, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
The President should have understood the protocol before arguing with the AGF.
Which protocol,so a president asking about how funds are not in the report means arguing. Ogbeni,u no get sense @ all.

2 Likes

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Ayatullah(m): 9:39pm On Oct 12, 2015
alcmene:

BE SENSIBLE!

You have just shown how ignorant you are. You should rejoice you have a president who knows his onions. When was the last time you have a president reacting and challenging a report this way? You should therefore be sensible instead of looking for faults where there is none.
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by mapet: 9:41pm On Oct 12, 2015
delvinmaya:
I wish Oga Seun could hurry up with the dislike button. Abi the button don day nairaland way I no know.
Apologies to no-one but if anybody can still support the president after his mistake was highlighted(qho even knows if such an event took place), then for sure we have a long way to go in Nigeria. Am not a lawyer but if such event took place, then not only did the president fall foul of the constitution he vowed to uphold but also he risks being impeached.
And that's why I feel his action should be examined intelligently . Comparing him to GEJ or hailing him is tantamount to saying that we are a lawless society.

unfortunately people like know next to nothing and simply just type silly. what mistake did the president make? pointing out the incompleteness in the presentation made to him? In the corporate world, the Auditor - General's answer would have been deemed the stupidest. You're presenting to your CEO, points out a gap in your presentation, and your only answer is "it is not my job"?

1 Like

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Ayatullah(m): 9:42pm On Oct 12, 2015
alcmene:

REJOICE!
You have just shown how ignorant you are. You should rejoice you have a president who knows his onions. When was the last time you have a president reacting and challenging a report this way? You should therefore be sensible instead of looking for faults where there is none.
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by mastelpro: 9:52pm On Oct 12, 2015
You are right about presentation of audited annual reports to the national assembly and not the president. But in this case, the lake Chad report is not actually an annual report. The post stated it is an environmental audit- which deals with effects on the environment. The audit is not basically financial. The Auditor-General's duty was to inform and confirm how much money have been spent on the Lake Chad basin. Other professionals are involved in this type of audit.
Moreso the President has the authority to ask the Auditor-General to conduct specific investigative audits or adhoc audit which the reports can be submitted to the president. Just like when GEJ asked PWC to investigate the missing $20million.
The scenario above is just like in corporate organizations, the annual report can only be presented to the shareholders at the AGM. But the managing director can request the external auditors to perform specific duties like staff audit, stock taking, audit of disbursement of specific funds etc and the report submitted to the managing director

1 Like

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by daveP(m): 9:54pm On Oct 12, 2015
Hmm, as time flies and goes on in this Naija-sphere, its making things look like OBJ would still be our best so far, irrespective of the stain on his record. What a pity. Only an under-45 can muscle out his record.
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by itsMrIke(m): 9:55pm On Oct 12, 2015
For those of you claiming knowledge of the Constitution and protocols (yeah seunmsg & Tonyebarcanista, I am looking at you guys), please go back and read the post again.

It is said there that it is an 'environmental report', not a financial one.

So please go and check what the Constitution says on the protocol for an Auditor-General presenting an environmental report, then we can take you guys serious.

Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by delvinmaya(m): 10:02pm On Oct 12, 2015
mapet:

unfortunately people like you know next to nothing and simply just type silly. what mistake did the president make? pointing out the incompleteness in the presentation made to him? In the corporate world, the Auditor - General's answer would have been deemed the stupidest. You're presenting to your CEO, points out a gap in your presentation, and your only answer is "it is not my job"?

While I applaud your need to defend the president, I think you could be civil. Attempting to insult me got you so wrung up you missed adding "you". Fixed that up for you. Now to my statement, I said if such an event took place, so calm down before you burst a nerve. And in response to your query, if the gap in my presentation isn't my purview, why would I then exert myself while the person with the job description sits down looking like a fool. It's plainly not my job.

It's a democracy bro, am entitled to my opinion and as you ain't paying my bills, I suggest you do the needful.
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by tiar: 10:16pm On Oct 12, 2015
owobokiri:

The government of the worst PHD holder will be by far BETTER than that of haughty secondary school drop out anywhere, anyday... Take away all the empty noise about corruption by this blundering tribalist from Daurra, Jonathan's government was by far more productive economically for this country... How many jobs have been lost since May 29? 5 months and no government yet and you are still there excited about a ubiquitous change? Define muguism for me... Get a grip, sis.
speak after four years. Your preferred leader had six. Judge upon departure. By then should have a better footstool to stand on. Cheers [color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by mapet: 10:16pm On Oct 12, 2015
delvinmaya:

While I applaud your need to defend the president, I think you could be civil. Attempting to insult me got you so wrung up you missed adding "you". Fixed that up for you. Now to my statement, I said if such an event took place, so calm down before you burst a nerve. And in response to your query, if the gap in my presentation isn't my purview, why would I then exert myself while the person with the job description sits down looking like a fool. It's plainly not my job.

It's a democracy bro, am entitled to my opinion and as you ain't paying my bills, I suggest you do the needful.

Don't worry about me busting a nerve.......I actually enjoying of late, point out ridiculous statements that emanate from NL. Back to the AGF, the classic ancient wisdom "be prepared" comes into play here. That's why it is the responsibility of managers (the AGF in this context) to have consulted his colleagues especially on areas of overlaps, and as much do a dry run of such presentation with colleagues, and not come in front of PMB only to sound ridiculous. Once a manager in position of leadership absolves himself of responsibilities, it's an indicator that he needs to be "absolved" of the job.

Thanks for pointing out that its democrary.....and I agree you're entitled to the way of your reasoning
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 12, 2015
Adminisher:

SILLY post.
We finally have a president who knows his job, knows his own mind and has a point of view. Contrast with Dr Clueless who will nod his head and ask.."where do I sign?"
No!!! We now have a President who doesn't understand a thing yet refuse to have those who can advice him right
Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by mapet: 10:19pm On Oct 12, 2015
Mee234:

No!!! We now have a President who doesn't understand a thing yet refuse to have those who can advice him right

.............and you're one of the youths that aspires to lead? shame on the education system

2 Likes

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by razid: 10:20pm On Oct 12, 2015
Buhari Receives Auditor-General’s Report On Drying Up Of Lake Chad
Channels Television.
Updated October 12, 2015

President Muhammadu Buhari has reiterated the commitment of his administration to offering effective leadership in the fight against insurgency and other environmental issues in the Sahel region.

The President said this while receiving the Auditor-General of the Federation’s report on the drying up the Lake Chad in the Presidential Villa.

Nigeria, alongside Cameroun and Niger had set up the audit committee to find solution to the problem. Having decried the negative impact of the drying lake on Nigeria, he promised to ensure that the recommendations in the report are considered for implementation.

He traced the history of the formation of the Lake Chad Basin and the wisdom of the founding fathers, and urged the National Assembly to domesticate the Lake Chad Basin Water Charter if the problem must be solved.

He promised to ensure equitable water resources management by paying the marching grant of 850 million naira to compliment the 100 million naira from each of the states bordering the Lake Chad.

He, however, queried the Auditor-General for missing out the aspect of the report where the Federal Government spent five million dollars to tackle the environmental problems in the Lake Chad.

The President commended the efforts of the governors of Borno, Bauchi, Kano, Jigawa and Plateau states, promising to strengthen the platform to ensure sustainable and equitable water resources management of the Lake Chad Basin.
http://www.channelstv.com/2015/10/12/buhari-receives-auditor-generals-report-on-drying-up-of-lake-chad/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Sometimes I wonder about the future of this great country, but I can only sigh because given the present state of the youth, we may have to pray to God for guidance. The report is about drying up of Lake Chad and it was even commissioned by all governments of Lake Chad Basin and yet we have youths who are here arguing on the constitutionality of the President for asking for the reports he commissioned in the first place. This report is not about the financial transactions of the country but a commissioned international one for a specific purpose - drying up of Lake Chad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by seunmsg(m): 10:22pm On Oct 12, 2015
CACAWA:

Please stop misleading the public. The school of thought that believes interpretation of the constitution should strictly remain in the purview of the judiciary are clearly justified. You only quoted section 85 subsection 5 without quoting (if at all such exists) the part that bars the Auditor General from presenting his report to the President, finance ministry, FAAC or NEC.

For the benefit of doubt, in the course of house-keeping and budgetary planning, the president and finance ministry reserve the right to make due, total and comprehensive consultations to relevant agencies including the judiciary, the bureau of statistics and the Auditor General's office. I specifically mentioned these three organisations for you to appreciate the fact that although they must be independent bodies, the president still has every right to consult them in the course of national planning.

The section of the constitution you quoted only gives credence to the independence of the Auditor General's office in carrying out his job of AUDITING.

No one has breached the constitution and thanks for your observation albeit wrong.

The constitution is very clear on where the report of the Auditor General goes to. The report of any audit assignment carried out by the Auditor General goes to the National Assembly. Doing anything contrary amounts to breaching the independence of the Auditor General as enshrined in the constitution. The AuGF audits the president, ministers and anybody entrusted with public funds. And by so doing, he cannot be answerable to the same person/body that he audits. In fact, the idea is for the AuGF to report directly to the Nigerian people. That is why he reports to members of the National assembly who are the representatives of the Nigerian people.

I never claimed that the president cannot consult with the AuGF. The president can consult with the AuGF but he cannot receive the report of his audit assignments. Only the National assembly can receive it.

You are very right that the part of the constitution that I quoted gives credence to the independence of the Auditor General. In fact, that is the essence of presenting the Audited report to the National assembly and not the president. You will see that the constitution even provided clearly that the public accounts committee of the National assembly should be saddled with reviewing the reports. That is why the PAC is always headed by a member from the opposition party to that of the president.

3 Likes

Re: Drama As Buhari Faults Auditor-general On Lake Chad Report-vanguard by delvinmaya(m): 10:28pm On Oct 12, 2015
mapet:

Don't worry about me busting a nerve.......I actually enjoying of late, point out ridiculous statements that emanate from NL. Back to the AGF, the classic ancient wisdom "be prepared" comes into play here. That's why it is the responsibility of managers (the AGF in this context) to have consulted his colleagues especially on areas of overlaps, and as much do a dry run of such presentation with colleagues, and not come in front of PMB only to sound ridiculous. Once a manager in position of leadership absolves himself of responsibilities, it's an indicator that he needs to be "absolved" of the job.

Thanks for pointing out that its democrary.....and I agree you're entitled to the way of your reasoning

Great to see you enjoying whatever it is you are enjoying happy for you. Ain't gonna begrudge you that. However you have avoided the salient issue. I believe others have already dealt with the issue,and I won't drag you back to it.

About the AGF, I agree you might be right to some "extent", but since the head of the Basin Authority Wad seated there, he should have been held accountable for whatever took place under his watch. Isn't that why he was made head of the Basin Authority?

We digress though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Random Facts About Ebonyi / FG Unveils Take-off Of High Speed Train From Abuja To Lagos / Aisha Buhari’s Convoy Attacked, 10 Vehicles Destroyed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.