Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (64) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (323484 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:51pm On Feb 17, 2017
hajj123:
Hi V.O how you doing today?.pls I want you to help again as I am getting closer to my Cr1/I-130 spouse visa,I have 6yrs old child from my ex girlfriend,pls I want to know if I will have to present my child birth certificate during my interview?If yes,pls can I present the one that I got for him from the local government where he was born or do I need get another birth certificate from NPC?though he is not going with me to US,but I filled it in my ds260 where they asked if I have children.

Bring whatever documents that help prove that this is your child. Also, bring photographs of your child and you together from birth to the present. If you are not able to provide enough evidence, the consular officer may recommend a DNA test for you and your child, but cannot force you to do so.

Regards,
VO

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:53pm On Feb 17, 2017
Kenamen20:

thank you so much.
pls how can she get a US immigration attorney from here?

If you don't know how to get an immigration attorney, then you will definitely need one. I am certain you have friends or family who can help point you in the right direction.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:56pm On Feb 17, 2017
Bashir75:

Dear VO,

I felt so sad with myself reading your comment on my inquiry. I had to, because the Nigerian Immigration officer told me to continue to use it and that it would be corrected when expired and totally misled by the immigration officer. I'm here with my family and I have to provide my family information to process my kids US passport when it was requisite. Because I'm a student at Abu Dhabi University; hence I don't have all the time to go to Abuja when I visit Nigeria with my family in Lagos. He told me afterward it's difficult and Only immigration office in Abuja can make the correction then. I was naive and confused with confusing misinformation from the immigration officers in Lagos. My date of birth was mistakenly computed to be 14-08-1965, instead of 14-08-1975. And my place of birth was computed Ifo, instead of Sagamu.
Please, what can I do to correct this anomaly having found myself in this dilemma?

I've already given you guidance. You should have a clear, compelling, and reasonable explanation for the discrepancy.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 4:58pm On Feb 17, 2017
menuwe:

I still do not know where I am supposed to do this registration.Because all through the NVC process I didn't do any registration of such. Please put me through.

When you make your interview appointment with the Consulate, you will be asked where you would like your printed visa and passport to be sent. For further technical help, write LagosIV@state.gov.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Yewa2017: 7:14pm On Feb 19, 2017
Dear VO,
Thanks for your professional approach to the various issues raised. I had a green card but voluntarily surrendered it when a job took me back to Nigeria, and it was for more than one year. However, my spouse (currently in the US) and I continues to filled our US taxes jointly every year. She has applied for me and the i130 has been approved, would my voluntary return of my first green card affects my immigrant process this time around?
Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Itstyme(m): 11:21pm On Feb 19, 2017
My mum case is this; my step brother who is my mum's first child filed for my mum some years ago and was granted and my mum moved to the States as a green card holder in 2011 but unfortunately after a year of her living in the States i.e. 2012, she had to return back to Nigeria due to health conditions of one of her child and up till this day she hasn't been able to return back to the States which automatically had made her violate her green card conditions. Now, another opportunity to go the States is about to open, what will you advise her to do? Can she use the previous greencard? Or she has to be filed for all over again? Please kindly advise.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:52pm On Feb 21, 2017
hello vo,
how long does it take the form I-360 petition for the widow of a deceased US citizen who has 3 kids (usc) takes. is it up to 12 months?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by StarPlayer: 2:10pm On Feb 22, 2017
Hello V.O
Please i want to know if one can apply for a visiting visa after an application has already been approved for a permanent visa and awaiting interview. Thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:19pm On Feb 22, 2017
Kenamen20:
hello vo,
how long does it take the form I-360 petition for the widow of a deceased US citizen who has 3 kids (usc) takes. is it up to 12 months?

This is a question for USCIS.

For the record, if you haven't had your interview yet, any question that starts "How long" will be answered by USCIS. I will begin ignoring and/or deleting this type of question going forward.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:21pm On Feb 22, 2017
StarPlayer:
Hello V.O
Please i want to know if one can apply for a visiting visa after an application has already been approved for a permanent visa and awaiting interview. Thanks

Yes, you can apply for a visitor visa after an immigrant visa application has been approved but before your immigrant visa issuance. Like any visitor visa, you should be able to demonstrate strong ties to Nigeria during your interview.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 6:22pm On Feb 22, 2017
Yewa2017:
Dear VO,
Thanks for your professional approach to the various issues raised. I had a green card but voluntarily surrendered it when a job took me back to Nigeria, and it was for more than one year. However, my spouse (currently in the US) and I continues to filled our US taxes jointly every year. She has applied for me and the i130 has been approved, would my voluntary return of my first green card affects my immigrant process this time around?
Thanks.

If you surrendered your green card without problems, and your stay in the U.S. was without problems, then you should be able to get your new green card without problems.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9cbaby(f): 2:46am On Mar 02, 2017
Dear VO,thanks for the great job u are doing, please I don't really know what is happening now with my visa processing.My husband is an America citizen which he has file for me and my son,we had our interview on the 14th of dec, they requested for dna,the dna result is out which they got their copy on the 9th of February.They called me2weeks ago that we should refill form DS-260 for my son which we have done but till now they haven't call uss to submit our passport for visa.please sir can I know what is happening? Thanks.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by oluwamalik(m): 12:26pm On Mar 02, 2017
Hello VO. What happens if someone misrepresented and want to know ways of correcting the misrepresentation. Meaning a management student claiming to be a science student but was denied B1/B2 twice cos the visa agent gave him assurance of passing the interview and getting the visa. What is the punishment or could be person be pardoned by the U.S.A embassy? Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by menuwe: 5:22pm On Mar 02, 2017
Hello VO..
Please how long before an interview can one go for his medical exam.
Secondly.. what happens if the medical result is not out prior to the interview..? Will interview still be conducted? Or will visa be denied?
Thirdly if there are abnormalities with the medical results, will the applicant be notified by the physician first before the interview? Or will the applicant show up at the embassy with the results and talk it out with the VO? Thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Antonio96151: 12:01pm On Mar 04, 2017
Good day Vo
Thank you so much for the good advice, i have been a silent reader for months and i have so many questions, My girlfriend is in Usa she is a citizen and we met in November 2015 so she actually came to visit in june 2016 spend 2 weeks with me before going back, after she left i got my passport here in Nigeria as i have never had any intentions of travelling anywhere before and applied for a tourist visa and use her as the sponsor even with letter of invitation and bank statement and tax document too but i was denied, and i just comeplete my Nd degree here so we move on and she applied to a college close to her for me and i was admitted in a college in united state..My first tourist visa was denied by september and them i applied for F1 visa and was denied too and that was from November and january and the last one was yesterday. we actually was planning to move here here to Nigeria because i was tired of this visa issue so we did bought a house together here in Nigeria in my Name. But she cant travel a lot because her back has been broken a long time ago and she has titanium back cages implant inside her that is the reason she can even walk.. Now my question is she want to file for a fiancee visa and all the time i was applying for a tourist visa and student visa..I have it there that she is a friend because i cant put spouse as she was going through divorce and all forms filled her name was the point of contact and the person sponsoring me too is this going to affect my fiancee visa? and do we still have the time lenth of our meeting was in june 2016 and i saw that it must not be past 2years that you meet before applying? and the third question maybe not for now but will love to know.. we talk on facebook messenger all the time more than 10 hours in a day atmost..how can i show that as we dont talk through the phone that much..Thank you so much sir as i await your response
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by abebny: 11:47am On Mar 05, 2017
Thank officer for your help.
What is best option after I-130 visa application revoked?
I filed this for my wife who lives abroad. I'm US Permanent resident(Green card holder). After five years long process the case revoked by USCIS even though I responded NOIR. Their reason is that they said the evidence is not sufficient and my wife does not know the detail of my life here in US. I'm given 15 days to appeal and 30 days to file motion, but the mail arrived after 14 days passed, and I do not have new evidence other than what I already presented to File motion. I am thinking to file NEW I-130 after becoming citinzenship (already filed ). And I am planning to visit my wife and get pregnat. Does precious revocation affect our new application? Appreciate for any comment.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:06pm On Mar 06, 2017
abebny:
Thank officer for your help.
What is best option after I-130 visa application revoked?
I filed this for my wife who lives abroad. I'm US Permanent resident(Green card holder). After five years long process the case revoked by USCIS even though I responded NOIR. Their reason is that they said the evidence is not sufficient and my wife does not know the detail of my life here in US. I'm given 15 days to appeal and 30 days to file motion, but the mail arrived after 14 days passed, and I do not have new evidence other than what I already presented to File motion. I am thinking to file NEW I-130 after becoming citinzenship (already filed ). And I am planning to visit my wife and get pregnat. Does precious revocation affect our new application? Appreciate for any comment.

This is a question for USCIS. Once submitted for revocation, we no longer have access nor jurisdiction over your case.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:08pm On Mar 06, 2017
Antonio96151:
Good day Vo
Thank you so much for the good advice, i have been a silent reader for months and i have so many questions, My girlfriend is in Usa she is a citizen and we met in November 2015 so she actually came to visit in june 2016 spend 2 weeks with me before going back, after she left i got my passport here in Nigeria as i have never had any intentions of travelling anywhere before and applied for a tourist visa and use her as the sponsor even with letter of invitation and bank statement and tax document too but i was denied, and i just comeplete my Nd degree here so we move on and she applied to a college close to her for me and i was admitted in a college in united state..My first tourist visa was denied by september and them i applied for F1 visa and was denied too and that was from November and january and the last one was yesterday. we actually was planning to move here here to Nigeria because i was tired of this visa issue so we did bought a house together here in Nigeria in my Name. But she cant travel a lot because her back has been broken a long time ago and she has titanium back cages implant inside her that is the reason she can even walk.. Now my question is she want to file for a fiancee visa and all the time i was applying for a tourist visa and student visa..I have it there that she is a friend because i cant put spouse as she was going through divorce and all forms filled her name was the point of contact and the person sponsoring me too is this going to affect my fiancee visa? and do we still have the time lenth of our meeting was in june 2016 and i saw that it must not be past 2years that you meet before applying? and the third question maybe not for now but will love to know.. we talk on facebook messenger all the time more than 10 hours in a day atmost..how can i show that as we dont talk through the phone that much..Thank you so much sir as i await your response

I am having trouble finding your question in this paragraph. What is your question?

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:10pm On Mar 06, 2017
menuwe:
Hello VO..
Please how long before an interview can one go for his medical exam.
Secondly.. what happens if the medical result is not out prior to the interview..? Will interview still be conducted? Or will visa be denied?
Thirdly if there are abnormalities with the medical results, will the applicant be notified by the physician first before the interview? Or will the applicant show up at the embassy with the results and talk it out with the VO? Thank you

You should go to your medical exam 2-4 weeks before your scheduled interview. If the medical results are not ready, you can still proceed with the interview, but you will not be able to be issued a visa until we receive a good medical. This is officially called 221(g) status for the section in immigration law. If there are any issues with the medical, we will receive it directly from the clinic and inform you as to next steps during the interview.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:11pm On Mar 06, 2017
9cbaby:
Dear VO,thanks for the great job u are doing, please I don't really know what is happening now with my visa processing.My husband is an America citizen which he has file for me and my son,we had our interview on the 14th of dec, they requested for dna,the dna result is out which they got their copy on the 9th of February.They called me2weeks ago that we should refill form DS-260 for my son which we have done but till now they haven't call uss to submit our passport for visa.please sir can I know what is happening? Thanks.

You should write us at LagosIV@state.gov. Include the petitioner's name, beneficiary's name, and case number. The officer handling your case will review it and get back to you.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:22pm On Mar 06, 2017
oluwamalik:
Hello VO. What happens if someone misrepresented and want to know ways of correcting the misrepresentation. Meaning a management student claiming to be a science student but was denied B1/B2 twice cos the visa agent gave him assurance of passing the interview and getting the visa. What is the punishment or could be person be pardoned by the U.S.A embassy? Thank you.

I cannot believe, over and over again, why people trust agents. No one -- and I mean NO ONE -- can give any assurance whatsoever of getting a visa.

That said, saying "someone" is a management student but is actually a science student is not misrepresentation. Misrepresentation or 6C1 is a matter of law and is defined as misrepresenting a material fact in order to get an immigration benefit. There are some nuances in there, but the bottom line is some concealment or lie to an officer that would have made a difference in the adjudication when trying to get a visa.

If the person has been found ineligible under 6C1, it will result in a lifetime ban from entering the United States. The embassy or consulate cannot pardon a 6C1. However, a waiver is available. A waiver can be gotten through an application process through USCIS. The only way to find out if there is a 6C1 is to apply for a visa.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:24pm On Mar 06, 2017
StarPlayer:
Hello V.O

Yes, you may apply for a visitor visa while waiting for your immigrant visa. You should, as always, be able to demonstrate strong ties to Nigeria.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:24pm On Mar 06, 2017
bleek147:
Hello sir,

I will get a new passport as you mentioned sir, but when the process is approve and I am to go the embassy, should I go to the embassy with the both passport sir.

thank you

Yes, go with both passports.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 1:25pm On Mar 06, 2017
Yewa2017:
Dear VO,
Thanks.

As long as the card was returned in good standing (no legal issues caused the surrender) then you should be fine. Be sure you disclose this to the officer conducting your interview.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 06, 2017
good afternoon. I was actually surprised to see an educative thread like this on naira land. I have an issue that I need clarification on. my fiance lives in the US. He is a green card holder, about to get his citizenship too. we have plans for this year but with this travel ban,I am scared. please how does this ban affect his ability to come back this year and return safely to the US as well as my ability to join him over there later. thanks
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by VisaOfficer: 3:44pm On Mar 06, 2017
ijofy:
good afternoon. I was actually surprised to see an educative thread like this on naira land. I have an issue that I need clarification on. my fiance lives in the US. He is a green card holder, about to get his citizenship too. we have plans for this year but with this travel ban,I am scared. please how does this ban affect his ability to come back this year and return safely to the US as well as my ability to join him over there later. thanks

There is currently no travel ban to visit the U.S.

Regarding your potential engagement status, as you note, your fiance must be a U.S. citizen in order to file for you as a K1 beneficiary. Other requirements for this visa class can be found by contacting USCIS and/or consulting with an immigration attorney.

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Antonio96151: 4:55pm On Mar 06, 2017
Tthanks V.O The question is when i was applying for visiting visa and student visa i use her as a friend because she is the one sponsoring me will this affect my K1 visa in anyway?
VisaOfficer:

I am having trouble finding your question in this paragraph. What is your question?

Regards,
VO
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by LOT111(f): 5:39pm On Mar 06, 2017
Dear VO
My husband is a green card holder , we got married January and he will be due for citizenship by December this year.
He thinks waiting for his naturalization OR six months before that means by June before filing for me will make it faster than filing now, he thinks the petition might be abandoned.

(1) (2) (3) ... (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.