Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,847 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland (60975 Views)

Ndi Igbos Ke Way / Akure Monarch Bans Eze Ndi Igbo Title-the Punch / Breaking Guinea Conakry Foreign Affair Recognise Eze Igbo Guinea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by babestella: 9:06am On Oct 17, 2015
Maybe they should change the name to "Ísí Ndigbo" instead of the "Eze ndigbo".
There is a lot of misconception by our Yoruba brothers and sisters as to what the Eze Ndigbo really means. It's only a conceptualized idea and doesn't mean a contest with any Yoruba king. Period.
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 17, 2015
What they dare not try in the North

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by 4stylz: 9:08am On Oct 17, 2015
I am not igbo but this is so lame of that anifere; how dare you call a Nigerian immigrants, I have rights to do anything in anyone land and nothing will happen; our constitution doesn't recognise traditions or yorubaland /igboland.

If that's the case, globacom owned by a Yoruba man should stop building mask outside Yorubaland; and dangote should stop selling cement outside hausaland.

Anifere (whatever that means )is a foolish refugee in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by basileze: 9:09am On Oct 17, 2015
If only Yoruba's know the population of Yoruba's in Port-Harcourt, South-East and South-South and the juicy positions these Yoruba's occupy in Multinational oil and Gas companies, Banks, Telecom's, Manufacturing, etc they will behave.

The problem is that most yoruba's are ignorant of the fact that they will surely lose bigtime in this ethnic war if it starts.
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by DelticStephEn(f): 9:09am On Oct 17, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

The Sarkin hausawa(s) and Sarkin fulani(s) never and will never disrespect their hosts.

It is the y1bos that disrespect their hosts.
hahaha.
you Yoruba can make good comedian.
so all this rape and kidnapping are not disrespect?
# https://www.nairaland.com/2638414/how-fulani-herdsmen-kill-rape.
warris this?
# https://www.nairaland.com/2615875/how-fulani-herdsmen-abducted-olu.
hahaha.
more.
# https://www.nairaland.com/2615875/how-fulani-herdsmen-abducted-olu

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Sagamite(m): 9:12am On Oct 17, 2015
babestella:
Maybe they should change the name to "Ísí Ndigbo" instead of the "Eze ndigbo".
There is a lot of misconception by our Yoruba brothers and sisters as to what the Eze Ndigbo really means. It's only a conceptualized idea and doesn't mean a contest with any Yoruba king. Period.

Fcking well said.

That is exactly my point.

All those fuuktards need to change their title name immediately and should not wear any monarchial regalia except they were appointed by the local King.

3 Likes

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Demmzy15(m): 9:12am On Oct 17, 2015
ishiamu:

Ur mentioning your fellow tribalist I can help call em out more
Who's a tribalist?! undecided
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 17, 2015
MayorofLagos:

It is worse than that....did tou not hear what he said?

He told Deji to book appointment if he wants to see him. He said he did not have time but because he was takinga trip and passing by, decided to branch in and see why Deji want him.

This is a man that said Ibos have been in Akure 70yrs. Apparently 70yrs is not long enough for him or his cohorts cohogs to understand the protocol of the land.

Look, Mr Fawaz and Mr Choudri are the heads of the Lebanese, Turkeys and Syrian families in Lagos. They speak fluent Yoruba. No Lebanese trader, contractor does anything in Lagos without first obtaining their blessing. When they come into Oba Akiolu's palace, they remove shoes and hats at entrance and start courtesies and fellowship with the palace hands and Chiefs before they have entered into the courtyard.
When Eleko shows up the two go on their bellies and praise him and do not lift up until Eleko has called for them to rise.

So who is Ibo in Nigeria? Youve been defeated in war, you are a refugee, you have been emansculated. You are considered.a high political risk and a low political asset to all credible mainstream political parties, you have zero capacity to create, sustain and install political platforms. So who are you in this country

Another Fool
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Nobody: 9:13am On Oct 17, 2015
ghuzy01:

I read d rubbish you wrote nd just felt pity for you,it's not your fault though its because d yoruba s 're very accommodating nd you felt at home in their land nd you later grew wings to wear a crown to d king.can you try that with d sultan or emir of kano,maiguguri or gombe.

I also read the thrash you posted. I really feel lots of sympathy for people like you. Show us the picture of the said crown. This man according to the news respected your chief, prostrated before him. What else does he want? How else does he want him to show respect? I don't feel for the eze though based on my personal opinion about those titles including your thuggish chief.

He had already mobilised hooligans and rogue to embarrass this man. I say it again, your deji or whatever you call him is an agbero and a silly man. You don't act like that towards your guest. If he was displeased, there are more matured and diplomatic ways of dealing with that matter.

He wouldn't attempt that with a miyetti Allah chief. Igbos no matter how you see them are peace loving. Matters like these can degenerate some day and it's animals like you who that would be shamed. I blame the megalomeganiac eze phool who went to your oba or deji to get recognised. That is a taboo and such title should not recognised by anyone.

Finally, ibi dakwajikwa your deji agada.

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by henciry: 9:14am On Oct 17, 2015
4stylz:
I am not igbo but this is so lame of that anifere; how dare you call a Nigerian immigrants, I have rights to do anything in anyone land and nothing will happen; our constitution doesn't recognise traditions or yorubaland /igboland.
If that's the case, globacom owned by a Yoruba man should stop building mask outside Yorubaland; and dangote should stop selling cement outside hausaland.
Anifere (whatever that means )is a foolish refugee in Nigeria.
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Demmzy15(m): 9:15am On Oct 17, 2015
basileze:
If only Yoruba's know the population of Yoruba's in Port Harcourt, South-East and South-South and the juicy positions the occupy in Multinational oil and Gas companies, Banks, Telecomms, etc they will behave.

The problem is that most yoruba's are ignorant of the fact that they will surely lose bigtime in this ethnic war if it starts.
See your dirty mouth, so Yorubas in those lands are claiming they're no man's land or appointing themselves as Oba of Port Harcourt?!

Dumb flat'head!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Crixpad: 9:15am On Oct 17, 2015
sunnyb0b0:
How about the Sarkin Hausawa and Sarkin Fulani?

Let's make the record straight. Can someone please politely state here ways which the Igbos have disrespected and insulted the their Yoruba host, can someone please tell me what atrocities Igbos have done in Lagos that our yourba brothers have not done in London. Why do yorubas see the Igbos as the reason for their misfortunes?
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Adebowale89(m): 9:15am On Oct 17, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

We have been waiting for that.
What are you guys waiting for?

Need I remind you that Nnamdi Kanu says by December the "zoo" will cease to exist?

and who is Nnamdi KANU one single man has been directing&redirecting millions of Igbo and u are happy. am not after any tribalism statement but this is not like that in Yoruba land, a man is not greater than the masses

BTW my fiance is a correct Igbo girl, all this una Biafra dream no be here o
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by harjorlarh(m): 9:17am On Oct 17, 2015
With the ethnic conflict clashes r goin...i hope it doesn't lead 2 a civil war
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 17, 2015
IdisuleOurOwn:

FYI, I am no Yoruba.
Does it matter You reason like a poorly educated Yoruba person
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Nobody: 9:17am On Oct 17, 2015
MrMbaM:
[s][/s]

Go tell your m.oronic father in his smelly grave to shut up, accursed ugly fool like you making noise. What is there to envy in a 5th class citizen, a gala seller, and pirated cd seller. Are you kidding me? You have mansions only in your dream, you are all known for your braggado everywhere you go. You will see yeebhoes of like 30 people living in a single smelly room, but come online to shout about having mansion. Many have been busted here several times E.g customized, collynzo and co, even you Frank Ojukwu live in abject poverty with your o.losho wife.

I thought you cursed cocaine smugglers said you only live in Lagos, why the change of story now? You run away from your cursed land daily, and still have no shame but brag about running away from your own land. Buhahahahaha. Shameless people, everyone piss on you lots cos you are worthless. Anyone that does not sell gala is lazy to you b.astard. Anyone that does not transport drugs is Lazy, anyone that dont sell spare part is lazy. You cant see the Hausa call others Lazy or brag, the Edos, Itsekiris and many other rich people dont brag but its only you conquered slaves that make noise everywhere. Your igwe have been flogged to stipur, do your worst or go issue your ultimatum. Shameles and worthless tribe.

Another lazy fool
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by wristbangle: 9:17am On Oct 17, 2015
tetfundfraudale:
I'm igbo.I'm in total support. There can not be two paraell chiefs.why is it not so in igbo land!Oba of Anambra or kabiyesi of Enugu.my igbo folks They are right. If u are igbo/Hausa/youruba in youruba land what we have is our respective community meetings.Very soon with the way my brodas are going Igbo man will contest for Oba of Lagos.Abeg culture na culture.My Yoruba brodas I support una on this.
In fact Oba of Lagos is a weakling compared to Eze ndi igbo in Lagos.
Very soon igbo man will rule Lagos
Very soon oba of Lagos will be igbo
Very soon Lag gov will be igbo
Very soon all lag land be owed by igbo

I'm igbo let's aspire but no to two rulers in a town.
Igbo kwenu!Onye aghara nwanne ya
Ndi Yoruba na atu egwu.Ala Nile anyi ga ego ya tupu 2050 abia

God bless u my dear brother. One love, One Nigeria cool
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by luvmijeje(f): 9:18am On Oct 17, 2015
MayorofLagos:

[size=20pt]according to Sir Gregory his people, the Ibos have been living in Akure for 70 years.[/size]

70 years! It's more than enough to assimilate. Please let's allow bygone to be bygone and hopefully we've all learnt from it.
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 17, 2015
DelticStephEn:

Yoruba and lies.
the first Yoruba war.
ordinary darhomy women defeated you guys.
I don't know uf you have gone to Google to make research about kwara state DAT was formally own by Yoruba before d fulanis conquered the Yoruba there.
they HV even made it clear that if Nigeria divide today that Yoruba will never take kwara and kogi with them.
chai Yoruba.
you guys and lies are like five and six
# http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-
square/69271-north-ready-nigeria-s-breakup-if-
junaid-muhammed.html

Kwara is Yoruba? Even the entire Ilorin is not Yoruba.
Ibos and innate dumbness.
And the dahomey amazon are what? Ibos? Hausa? Stupid skank, they were Yoruba.

I place females on a pedestal until they show ho.e tendencies or dumbness, you've shown both. Please move on.

5 Likes

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 17, 2015
Rayhut:
Freedom of association is allowed in Nigerian constitution, Igbos are free to have Eze Ndi Igbo in their state of abode, if they have a community of Igbos that come together and decide that a particular person will be their leader, there is nothing wrong in it, but the said Ezeh should not interfere in the affairs of the king of the native of that town or parade himself as King because it is just an appointed post by his people and not a real king. About recognition, the governor and Obas should not recognize them as king, they should recognize them as a representer of his own people. Group of people speaking the same language and living outside their domain suppose to have a leader to protect their interest, that is why they have Sarakin Fulani, Hausa in Lagos.
this is what I call sense.

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by henciry: 9:20am On Oct 17, 2015
Yorubas and hausas have been and is still ruling this country since independence,yet they still have hatred towards the Igbos.
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 17, 2015
sukkot:
so your agitation for biafra is the fun part but deep down you dont really want biafra ? lmao. clown
mumu u dont want igbos in ur land is there someone stopping u from chasing them away?
mumu people. I wud frustrate that ur useless Oba in this Nairaland and make sure his name becomes a caricature for kids on the street.

1 Like

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Adebowale89(m): 9:20am On Oct 17, 2015
you must know your right. Igbo people says that we Yoruba's like Hausa, of course we and Igbo are also best of friends but come to think of it, when you respect yourself, people will surely respect you

the seriki of Hausa would never stoop so low to contest with Yoruba or Igbo in their land, they respect culture & tradition

let's live with unity&harmony in respecting our individual culture&tradition

Yoruba people are loving people

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by ghuzy01: 9:21am On Oct 17, 2015
gbosaa:

I also read the thrash you posted. I really feel lots of sympathy for people like you. Show us the picture of the said crown. This man according to the news respected your chief, prostrated before him. What else does he want? How else does he want him to show respect? I don't feel for the eze though based on my personal opinion about those titles including your thuggish chief.

He had already mobilised hooligans and rogue to embarrass this man. I say it again, your deji or whatever you call him is an agbero and a silly man. You don't act like that towards your guest. If he was displeased, there are more matured and diplomatic ways of dealing with that matter.

He wouldn't attempt that with a miyetti Allah chief. Igbos no matter how you see them are peace loving. Matters like these can degenerate some day and it's animals like you who that would be shamed. I blame the megalomeganiac eze phool who went to your oba or deji to get recognised. That is a taboo and such title should not recognised by anyone.

Finally, ibi dakwajikwa your deji agada.
Mr man,its like u don't get.have you ever wondered why igbos have problems with their host?just think abt it.Akure people 're very peaceful nd won't hurt a fly...dt s y you hardly hear abt info in d news for anything negative.d so callled eze must have really infuriated d king to deserve such.d igbos shld undastand dt they 're welcomed in yoruba land but they shld conform to d culture of the yourbas.it's dt simple

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by FreeGlobe(f): 9:22am On Oct 17, 2015
Gamesmart:

All your post on this thread seem to suggest Fulani's are strong and Yorubas are just picking on the weaker Igbo because it is easier.
No it means yorubas, instead of facing their masters and attackers have instead chosen to pick another fight with peace loving igbos who are just minding their business. You know, when you cannot attack your bully, you love from things to divert attention while your bully has a field day decimating you.

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Owliver(m): 9:22am On Oct 17, 2015
oluwabreezy:
The deji of Akure acted rightly....He has the power to send out any tribe he feels not to be in his domain.....The Igbo's should pls note that Yorubas do NOT in anyway envy them because we all various priorities...The Igbo's might think money rules the world and the Yoruba's might feels that knowledge conquers the world base on various opinion....
no oba or king have any constitutional power my friend meanwhile, money controls the world even if you say knowledge igbos are more educated lol.
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by amnesty7: 9:22am On Oct 17, 2015
dailytrust.com.ng
On sending the nomads packing

An allegation often heard in Nigeria in recent times is that “the youths of nowadays” have departed from the path of hard work, obedience and respect for elders that youths were once known for. The assumption has always been that while the youths went haywire, elders have remained their old selves, wise, peaceable and measured. Fifteen years ago I was part of a delegation that went to try and resolve an intractable social problem. I developed a deep respect for our delegation’s leader because as soon as he sat down he told the other side, “Things will never get out of hand where there are elders!”
Well, not anymore. Evidence has just surfaced to indicate that “elders” in Nigeria have stepped forward and taken over the youths’ old role as firebrand, misdirected, devil may care, leap before you look and shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later. I am thinking here of the communiqué issued in Ibadan after an “emergency summit” of Yoruba elders. In attendance were such prominent persons as President of the Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE) Major General Adeyinka Adebayo, Sir Olaniwun Ajayi, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, Chief Idowu Sofola, Dr Frederick Fasehun, Bishop Ayo Ladigbolu, Prof Banji Akintoye, Prof Adetowun Ogunseye and Dr Kunle Olajide.
Pretending to be irked by last month’s abduction of former Secretary to the Government of the Federation Chief Olu Falae and the subsequent attack on his farm in Ondo State, the meeting issued an incendiary communiqué that, in effect, called for the expulsion of all nomadic pastoralists from the South West region. This gathering, which included lawyers, career soldiers and bishops, most of them very advanced in age, held ALL pastoralists responsible for a deed that was done by no more than ten people.
The communiqué read by Dr. Olajide said, “Yoruba leaders of thought both at home and in Diaspora had an emergency summit in response to the clear and present danger to the continued existence of our people… Despite the non aggressive disposition of the Yoruba, we have been victims of violent violations from our hostile neighbours from pre- colonial days to modern times. From the 18th century, the Fulani jihadists’ onslaught against the Yoruba through the travails of Chief Obafemi Awolowo through the June 12 saga with the latest wars declared on our people…The return of the herdsmen is a declaration of war on the Yoruba. Falae’s abduction is a continuation of attacks which these herdsmen have unleashed on our people over the years…”
Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, who not present at the meeting, later poured kerosene into the flames by saying, “Let this meeting be a warning to those that underestimate our resolve in this matter and that mistake our kindness and patience for weakness…If and when we are pushed to the wall we know exactly what to do. The killings, the rapings, the abductiOons and the desecration and pillaging of our land and farms by these Fulani herdsmen must stop or else there will be consequences.” No wonder that Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission Professor Chidi Odinkalu accused Fani-Kayode of hate speech.
Now, the kidnap of Chief Olu Falae was a heinous crime and people all over Nigeria were shocked when they heard of it. However, it was not the first ever kidnap case, in Nigeria or even in the South West. It is therefore difficult to see how it constituted a “clear and present danger to the continued survival” of the Yoruba. There must have been many other kidnap cases in the South West that did not get as much publicity as Falae’s case got, obviously because of the victim’s prominence. However, kidnaps are taking place in many other parts of Nigeria, many of them unreported in the media. In many cases they are perpetrated by local youths. A few years ago when kidnapping became such a huge menace in the South East, no one said that some other ethnic group was threatening Igbo existence, clearly because local gangs were perpetrating the crimes. Five years ago when the Secretary to the Kaduna State Government Waje Yayock was kidnapped in Kaduna and taken to Delta State, the Southern Kaduna Peoples Union [SOKAPU] did not say its people’s existence was being threatened by Southerners.
Nigeria’s ethnic groups are so thoroughly mixed up now that everyone is borrowing from everyone else in things good and bad. Food formulas that once belonged to particular parts of the country have been borrowed by others. Trades that were once identified with some ethnic groups have been infiltrated by others. It is no surprise that criminal enterprises invented by some people have been borrowed by others, especially when they prove to be lucrative and when in most cases the criminals escape punishment. There are no ethnic patents for trades or crimes.
Pastoralist youths did not invent kidnapping in Nigeria, nor are they the dominant force in the trade right now. There is however evidence to suggest that they are involved in it. Several kidnap victims in Kogi State and other parts of the North testified that their kidnappers spoke Hausa with heavy Fulfulde accent. But then, other kidnappers spoke with other languages and accents. In fact, even before kidnapping became a big game, stories were told in the past decade by highway robbery victims, especially on the Abuja-Kaduna highway, that they were robbed by men speaking Hausa with Fulfulde accents.
Like many other people, I was shocked when I first heard those stories because pastoralists are associated in most people’s minds with simplicity and lack of sophistication. Sure we knew that they could fight to the death to defend their cattle---and more recently to rustle them. Nigerians also learnt in recent years that pastoralists tend to avenge for an offence long after everyone else has forgotten about it, an attribute they share with pastoralists in other parts of the world. If the Yoruba Council of Elders were acting as elders, they would rather point to the protracted inter-communal conflicts in several Northern states and say, let us find peaceful ways of resolving the farmer-pastoralist problems in our areas.
One of the virtues of an elder, at least in the past, was the wisdom to seek to know why a problem that was not there before should suddenly rear its head. For example, after Falae was kidnapped and then released by suspected herdsmen and some suspected herdsmen later attacked and ransacked his farm, I expect a wise elder to say, “Chief, was there anything that happened between you and these people? There are many farms in Ondo State; why is it that they attacked your farm twice within a short time?” It is not the hallmark of an elder to believe the story told by one side and go ahead and act on it, however prominent the victim is and however criminal the other guy tends to be.
If everyone in Nigeria were to borrow the Yoruba Council of Elders’ style and criminalise whole ethnic and trade groups anytime one of them commits a crime, Nigeria will soon make the Balkan wars look like a tea party. Back in the 1970s when I was a very young man, every vehicle mechanic in Sokoto where I lived was a Yoruba man. Many times the mechanics offended me by pretending to repair my motorcycle, only for me to discover later that they messed things up. I did not qualify as an elder in those days but I never said as a result that all mechanics are useless or that all Yorubas should leave Sokoto. Instead I identified which mechanic messed up my motorcycle, subsequently boycotted him and then looked for a better mechanic [often in vain].
In fact, I will like to recommend to YCE my own small example in 1985 when a Ghanaian motor electrician called Kwame messed up my car’s kick starter. Day after day he spent the whole day repairing it, only for the car to be pushed to start. I finally lost my temper, glared at him and said, “I would have dealt with you if not because you share the same name with Kwame Nkrumah!”
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/monday-column/on-sending-the-nomads-packing/114469.html
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by abouzaid: 9:23am On Oct 17, 2015
please which one is afenifere renewable group?
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by MrMbaM: 9:23am On Oct 17, 2015
DrDauda:

Another lazy fool

Your wh.orish mother is a lazy b.astard. Animal
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by amnesty7: 9:25am On Oct 17, 2015
https://www.nairaland.com/newpost?topic=2670633

dailytrust.com.ng
On sending the nomads packing

An allegation often heard in Nigeria in recent times is that “the youths of nowadays” have departed from the path of hard work, obedience and respect for elders that youths were once known for. The assumption has always been that while the youths went haywire, elders have remained their old selves, wise, peaceable and measured. Fifteen years ago I was part of a delegation that went to try and resolve an intractable social problem. I developed a deep respect for our delegation’s leader because as soon as he sat down he told the other side, “Things will never get out of hand where there are elders!”
Well, not anymore. Evidence has just surfaced to indicate that “elders” in Nigeria have stepped forward and taken over the youths’ old role as firebrand, misdirected, devil may care, leap before you look and shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later. I am thinking here of the communiqué issued in Ibadan after an “emergency summit” of Yoruba elders. In attendance were such prominent persons as President of the Yoruba Council of Elders (YCE) Major General Adeyinka Adebayo, Sir Olaniwun Ajayi, Chief Ayo Adebanjo, Chief Idowu Sofola, Dr Frederick Fasehun, Bishop Ayo Ladigbolu, Prof Banji Akintoye, Prof Adetowun Ogunseye and Dr Kunle Olajide.
Pretending to be irked by last month’s abduction of former Secretary to the Government of the Federation Chief Olu Falae and the subsequent attack on his farm in Ondo State, the meeting issued an incendiary communiqué that, in effect, called for the expulsion of all nomadic pastoralists from the South West region. This gathering, which included lawyers, career soldiers and bishops, most of them very advanced in age, held ALL pastoralists responsible for a deed that was done by no more than ten people.
The communiqué read by Dr. Olajide said, “Yoruba leaders of thought both at home and in Diaspora had an emergency summit in response to the clear and present danger to the continued existence of our people… Despite the non aggressive disposition of the Yoruba, we have been victims of violent violations from our hostile neighbours from pre- colonial days to modern times. From the 18th century, the Fulani jihadists’ onslaught against the Yoruba through the travails of Chief Obafemi Awolowo through the June 12 saga with the latest wars declared on our people…The return of the herdsmen is a declaration of war on the Yoruba. Falae’s abduction is a continuation of attacks which these herdsmen have unleashed on our people over the years…”
Chief Femi Fani-Kayode, who not present at the meeting, later poured kerosene into the flames by saying, “Let this meeting be a warning to those that underestimate our resolve in this matter and that mistake our kindness and patience for weakness…If and when we are pushed to the wall we know exactly what to do. The killings, the rapings, the abductiOons and the desecration and pillaging of our land and farms by these Fulani herdsmen must stop or else there will be consequences.” No wonder that Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission Professor Chidi Odinkalu accused Fani-Kayode of hate speech.
Now, the kidnap of Chief Olu Falae was a heinous crime and people all over Nigeria were shocked when they heard of it. However, it was not the first ever kidnap case, in Nigeria or even in the South West. It is therefore difficult to see how it constituted a “clear and present danger to the continued survival” of the Yoruba. There must have been many other kidnap cases in the South West that did not get as much publicity as Falae’s case got, obviously because of the victim’s prominence. However, kidnaps are taking place in many other parts of Nigeria, many of them unreported in the media. In many cases they are perpetrated by local youths. A few years ago when kidnapping became such a huge menace in the South East, no one said that some other ethnic group was threatening Igbo existence, clearly because local gangs were perpetrating the crimes. Five years ago when the Secretary to the Kaduna State Government Waje Yayock was kidnapped in Kaduna and taken to Delta State, the Southern Kaduna Peoples Union [SOKAPU] did not say its people’s existence was being threatened by Southerners.
Nigeria’s ethnic groups are so thoroughly mixed up now that everyone is borrowing from everyone else in things good and bad. Food formulas that once belonged to particular parts of the country have been borrowed by others. Trades that were once identified with some ethnic groups have been infiltrated by others. It is no surprise that criminal enterprises invented by some people have been borrowed by others, especially when they prove to be lucrative and when in most cases the criminals escape punishment. There are no ethnic patents for trades or crimes.
Pastoralist youths did not invent kidnapping in Nigeria, nor are they the dominant force in the trade right now. There is however evidence to suggest that they are involved in it. Several kidnap victims in Kogi State and other parts of the North testified that their kidnappers spoke Hausa with heavy Fulfulde accent. But then, other kidnappers spoke with other languages and accents. In fact, even before kidnapping became a big game, stories were told in the past decade by highway robbery victims, especially on the Abuja-Kaduna highway, that they were robbed by men speaking Hausa with Fulfulde accents.
Like many other people, I was shocked when I first heard those stories because pastoralists are associated in most people’s minds with simplicity and lack of sophistication. Sure we knew that they could fight to the death to defend their cattle---and more recently to rustle them. Nigerians also learnt in recent years that pastoralists tend to avenge for an offence long after everyone else has forgotten about it, an attribute they share with pastoralists in other parts of the world. If the Yoruba Council of Elders were acting as elders, they would rather point to the protracted inter-communal conflicts in several Northern states and say, let us find peaceful ways of resolving the farmer-pastoralist problems in our areas.
One of the virtues of an elder, at least in the past, was the wisdom to seek to know why a problem that was not there before should suddenly rear its head. For example, after Falae was kidnapped and then released by suspected herdsmen and some suspected herdsmen later attacked and ransacked his farm, I expect a wise elder to say, “Chief, was there anything that happened between you and these people? There are many farms in Ondo State; why is it that they attacked your farm twice within a short time?” It is not the hallmark of an elder to believe the story told by one side and go ahead and act on it, however prominent the victim is and however criminal the other guy tends to be.
If everyone in Nigeria were to borrow the Yoruba Council of Elders’ style and criminalise whole ethnic and trade groups anytime one of them commits a crime, Nigeria will soon make the Balkan wars look like a tea party. Back in the 1970s when I was a very young man, every vehicle mechanic in Sokoto where I lived was a Yoruba man. Many times the mechanics offended me by pretending to repair my motorcycle, only for me to discover later that they messed things up. I did not qualify as an elder in those days but I never said as a result that all mechanics are useless or that all Yorubas should leave Sokoto. Instead I identified which mechanic messed up my motorcycle, subsequently boycotted him and then looked for a better mechanic [often in vain].
In fact, I will like to recommend to YCE my own small example in 1985 when a Ghanaian motor electrician called Kwame messed up my car’s kick starter. Day after day he spent the whole day repairing it, only for the car to be pushed to start. I finally lost my temper, glared at him and said, “I would have dealt with you if not because you share the same name with Kwame Nkrumah!”
http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/monday-column/on-sending-the-nomads-packing/114469.html
Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by Eziachi: 9:25am On Oct 17, 2015
What exactly is Eze Ndigbo in Yorubaland or any other land?
How can you be a king in another kingdom or another king's domain?
There was a time we use to have Igbo Town Unions in various cities with elected officials with a stipulated terms in office.
Who invented this Eze without a kingdom concept? One of those Nigeria penchant for high sounding titles I suppose.

2 Likes

Re: Afenifere Asks South West Govs, Obas To De-recognise Eze Ndi Igbos In Yorubaland by OnReflection: 9:25am On Oct 17, 2015
Akure and audacity of settlers

October 17, 2015

Akureland has been in the news of recent, on two unpleasant platforms. One was the abduction of its highly revered son and traditional ruler of Ilu-Abo, Akure, Chief Olu Falae. The other is the alleged unruly behaviour of a man, who until recently was the Eze Ndigbo of Akure. The two stories have conspired to pollute the waters of a land known for its metropolitan nature and peaceful people.

I begin with Falae. A couple of weeks ago, societal reverence and respect for him notwithstanding, a band of violent and virulent Fulani herdsmen had stormed his Ilado farm in Akure, abducted him and only released the former Secretary to the Government of the Federation after a ransom had been paid. The equivocation of that abduction looms large. Falae, as the Olu of Ilu-Abo, presides over a section of Akure that is known to be a refuge for all tribes in Nigeria. On the streets of the small village, languages jam one another and the cultures of the inhabitants are almost subsuming that of their host. What that means in essence is that Chief Falae is head of virtually all tribes in Nigeria in his domain. It is in Ilu-Abo where they find their daily bread. You could call the inhabitants farm workers and labourers, but the fact remains that the land provides refuge for their esophagus. Those who know the peculiar nature of Falae’s cosmopolitanism and the village he administers were shocked that a nationalist like him could fall prey to the antics of some evil men who did not respect his nationalism and political pedigree.

[b]Then comes the story of an Eze. Worried by his alleged disrespect for his host and apparent disdain for the Akure monarchy, the man had been suspended as the Eze Ndigbo by the Deji of Akureland, Oba Ogunlade Aladelusi Aladetoyinbo, Odundun II, whose office had bestowed on him the title in the first instance. What was Iloh’s infraction? A market in the city, which had hitherto enjoyed the leadership of indigenes of the state capital, had succumbed to the subtle but powerful mercantile and commercial power of their Igbo brothers. Before the natives knew what was happening, the Igbo had imposed their suzerainty on the market and were not only determining the leadership of the market but ensuring that natives did not have a say in the affairs of their own market.

Worried by what they tagged native colonialism on their own land, a spat had occurred between some Igbo in the market and the natives. Afraid that this could turn violent, the Deji, one of the most humble kings to have ascended the monarchy in this part of the country, was said to have invited the Igbo leader for a meeting last Saturday through his Iru Okun, the king’s staff of office. The insignia was reportedly seized by some Igbo hirelings of the man, while the Eze did not honour the Kabiyesi’s invitation.[/b] Oba Aladetoyinbo was said to have invited the man again for another meeting on Monday and the latter stormed the palace wearing his haughtiness and conceit on his sleeves. He was reported to have preened himself in the presence of the Kabiyesi, making calls on his cell phone before him and telling the Deji that even King Solomon in his wisdom could not dare to look down on those who had equal intelligence as him. Disturbed by this ride on a self horse and spit on their king, the chiefs present in the palace had collected his beads. The man reportedly later mobilised some Igbo youth to protest against the monarchy.

In his defence, the Eze told the story of how the Igbo had been living in Akureland for over 70 years and how he contributed money towards the ascendance of the king. The natives must be told that modernity dictates that the Igbo, like their Akure host, should be able to compete in an open market and whoever had an upper muzzle should hold the suzerainty of the said market, so far as the contest is open and legal. The advent of capitalism has dictated that the pursuit of wealth of nations is a survival-of-the-fittest contest. What, however, the writer finds loathsome is his alleged disrespect for his host and especially their tradition as embodied in the Deji. The Akure people do not joke with their traditional institution and revere their monarch as next to God on earth.

Having lived in Akureland for 70 years, in the words of the man himself, there is a failure on his part in recognising that in a choice between Mammon and their king, Akure will pick the latter. The current Deji, Oba Aladetoyinbo, from what this writer has been able to piece together about him and his pedigree, is an embodiment of humility and respect for tradition. He will stand by his people, no matter whose ox is gored.

Iloh occupied the title of Eze at the instance of the Deji. Like such fancy title of the Eze which has neither traditional foundation nor any royal reckoning but for administrative purposes, the day the man who bestows the title feels the holder is no longer fit to occupy it, he is shown the door. In this instance, this writer was told that the chiefs, who represent all sections of Akure, who witnessed Eze’s grandstanding and peacock-like desecration of their traditional chieftaincy stool, apparently because of his proximity to the allures of cash, removed his chieftaincy beads.

Methinks what the ex-Eze should seek is peace and forgiveness of the Deji, his council of chiefs and by that very fact, the people of Akure. Yes, modernity had duded the issue of settlers/indigenes but I am yet to hear that modernity has decreed that anyone should ride roughshod on the remains of culture of respect for kings which the people hold on to jealously. Affronts on Falae and the Deji by two distinct settlers are apparently too heavy for Akure to shoulder.

AYINLA MUKAIBA ON SATURDAY
Source

For someone who claims to be part of continuum that reaches back at least 70 years, this particular Eze Ndigbo has evidently overreached himself in more ways than one.

Enough of this open defiance of our customary laws angry

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply)

Dino Melaye Joins Atiku & PDP Governors At PDP Meeting In Abuja (Pics) / Buhari's Son, Yusuf Wedding Invitation Letter / Gumsu Sani Abacha Eating At The Restaurant In Cameroon (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.