Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,074 members, 7,835,624 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken (70556 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 6:55am On Nov 03, 2015
fratermathy:

grin Put words into my mouth. That is your last forte. If you cant sense sarcasm in someone's post then I wonder how you read and understand? Do you read novels and plays? Please try and get one. I'd even recommend a play for you; James Ene Henshaw's This is Our Chance! The first Nigerian play ever! Written by an Efik man. grin
av u read shakespear's Julius Caeser in Efik? Bros when I started reading u were in ur mothers womb.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Chommieblaq(f): 7:20am On Nov 03, 2015
DerKaiser:

Lol. It is funny that a people whose only national relevance, before the exploration of crude oil, was exporting illiterate houseboys and house girls could even dream of throwing shades towards the Igbos.

Even an intelligible language you people couldn't create and you are talking of nsibidi lol.

If you know how you lot sound to an average intelligent human, you people would abolish the nonsense you call language and start again from scratch.

You people and your culture are so worthless that an entire nation calls you all "calabar" which mind you is just a place and not even one of the lazy ethnic groups you have wallowing away there. Isn't that a shame?

Little wonder why all of you crawled out from your swamps to come and tear each other to shreds on this thread because you lack something as simple as identity. Shameless lot.

Igbos may be hated but every movement they make is feared by weaklings like y'all. That is dominance.

Aren't you ashamed that you are a snitch and proud?

Little kid, hausa or yoruba may have nothing against you but when the chips are down they would still cut you to pieces without hesitation. Doesn't that say much about your self esteem that you have to sulk up and look for acceptance before feeling a single self worth.

At least Igbos know their enemies and always tackle them head on. The question is could you phools do that?

Anyway you people are too tiny and irrelevant to be taken seriously. You are not a threat even to yourselves talk more of the great Igbos who have been taking shots from every godforsaken tribe in Nigeria but still hitting hard.

Get lost and get back to shamelessly clawing each other to shreds.

If your fellow statesman has just called your Ibibio inferior, how do you think I, a thoroughbred Igbo would view you.

Look who is talking about midgets lol

Go to any state in the East or Lagos and watch how your fellow "calabar" men whose only viable profession is Okada riding could barely reach the gear pedals on their bikes.

I would really go in on you but just keep this for now.

People are speaking and calabar chimps want to join the convo.

Said ma mind dear, this sonofmark is just soooo.. ... .
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by viruz007(m): 7:36am On Nov 03, 2015
OP first of all, thanks for a very enlightening topic. You have increased my knowledge base about my people a little further.

Am a very proud son of Okobo, part of the Oro people. Permit me OP to speak a bit to my Akwa Ibom brethren...

First of all, I am not happy with all the bloody stereotype and ethnic lines we are drawing or are being forced to draw. So are dialects maybe slightly or greatly different, but our culture is practically the same (if I am wrong here, do not hang me dry as I am still learning more about home) and has basic rules, be nice to people, be hospitable and try to leave at peace with one another.

My Oro people who claim to be marginalized or want to be independent, to what end? We have not resolved our own internal conflicts and politics and we are clamoring to be free? You want a seat at the table, learn to play the game the way the men at the table play it. You complain about being marginalized but when a son of the soil was put in the position of power (Former Minister of Sci and Tech, forgotten is name), what did he do different?

I have seen arguments here about being superior to the other tribes, but have you guys ever heard of the single story syndrome? Do not make assumptions cuz you heard only one side of the story.

This Oil you all (Ibeno, Eket, Oro) are using to clamor for who should be recognized more is wrong, rather we should be focused on human capital development. Be educated, learn to be self reliant and independent.

We are all AKwa Ibomites, so dakkada and let's make our state, languages and culture great. Do the 3 basic things that fuel the uniquess of our culture, (be nice to people, be hospitable and try to leave at peace with one another.)

While at it, for all them Okobo people on this forum, reading this topic and forming unlooking tongue, una brother dey hail ooo... You can pm me as I would like to know you all. Same goes out to all my Akwa Ibom and Cross River folks and the entire Nigerian people.

5 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 03, 2015
fratermathy:

cheesy wink

How do you know I can speak Urhobo?. Heck, do you even know if I grew up in your land? You are used to being so wrong aren't you?

Whatever rocks your boat bro.
I didn't insult Calabar people, I rebuffed a person. If you want to start a tribal war, please start with Ibibios and Efiks. They are close to you bro.

You have a better command of English than I do? Freemanan come and see o. Or is it because of your fancy fonts that you are being delusional? Like I said, Google my name. It's on my profile. smiley
Chief, he seeks attention!
Just ignore the lad.

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 03, 2015
viruz007:
OP first of all, thanks for a very enlightening topic. You have increased my knowledge base about my people a little further.

Am a very proud son of Okobo, part of the Oro people. Permit me OP to speak a bit to my Akwa Ibom brethren...

First of all, I am not happy with all the bloody stereotype and ethnic lines we are drawing or are being forced to draw. So are dialects maybe slightly or greatly different, but our culture is practically the same (if I am wrong here, do not hang me dry as I am still learning more about home) and has basic rules, be nice to people, be hospitable and try to leave at peace with one another.

My Oro people who claim to be marginalized or want to be independent, to what end? We have not resolved our own internal conflicts and politics and we are clamoring to be free? You want a seat at the table, learn to play the game the way the men at the table play it. You complain about being marginalized but when a son of the soil was put in the position of power (Former Minister of Sci and Tech, forgotten is name), what did he do different?

I have seen arguments here about being superior to the other tribes, but have you guys ever heard of the single story syndrome? Do not make assumptions cuz you heard only one side of the story.

This Oil you all (Ibeno, Eket, Oro) are using to clamor for who should be recognized more is wrong, rather we should be focused on human capital development. Be educated, learn to be self reliant and independent.

We are all AKwa Ibomites, so dakkada and let's make our state, languages and culture great. Do the 3 basic things that fuel the uniquess of our culture, (be nice to people, be hospitable and try to leave at peace with one another.)

While at it, for all them Okobo people on this forum, reading this topic and forming unlooking tongue, una brother dey hail ooo... You can pm me as I would like to know you all. Same goes out to all my Akwa Ibom and Cross River folks and the entire Nigerian people.

I don't know who you are but I am swimming to find you and give you a hug....

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 8:56am On Nov 03, 2015
Freemanan:

Chief, he seeks attention!
Just ignore the lad.

Scared of quoting your lexical god, huh? I always best you litluns. I can even provide a link of me ridiculing you tactically and laying waste to your claims with facts till you cowered in submission.

Chommieblaq:

Said ma mind dear, this sonofmark is just soooo.. ... .
[quote author=Freemanan post=39632133]

That's serves you dimwitted Igbos right. Your tendency to always want to meddle in the affairs of other tribes has always been your undoing.

If my peace-loving tribesmen would overlook your tribal slurs, I wouldn't. I opined the home truths: Igbos are pests, oppurtunists and pawns. EVERYONE would always ridicule you dimwits.

Already CHINO11 and ABAGWORO have provided angles to attack you from.

The supposed love by the Igbos for the Akwaibom-Cross people ONLINE is a charade. I bet you also call us that derogatory name your kinsmen in Aba and Owka call us. Well, the feeling is mutual.

Two weeks ago, an Igbo man wrote a derogatory and UNTRUE piece in the Independent Times about us and an Igbo Nairalander, ZINACHIDI, posted it on Nairaland. I warned I'd revenge. I'm making good on my threat albeit with FACTUAL CLAIMS.

Nothing would stop me. Nothing. smiley
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by pryd(m): 9:04am On Nov 03, 2015
BreezyRita:
Pryd, oya come and read about this unique people. gringrin

Awww wonderful people, very amiable and affectionate. grin wink

errrm sweerie how can I make them my "direct in-laws"? smiley

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? cheesy kiss
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by princesslucy83: 9:10am On Nov 03, 2015
Efik: Categorised as Riverain Ibibio. This dialect is spoken by the Efik people of Cross-River State. Although it is a dialect of Ibibio, Efik is recognised as a distinct ethnic nationality in Nigeria! This is why Ibibio people from Cross-River State are referred to as Efik/Ibibio or Ibibio-Efik people. This dialect is also studied at tertiary institutions in Cross Rivers State. Efik is spoken widely in Calabar, the Cross River State capital as a central language. The Efik dialect is mutually intelligible with Ibibio. In fact, inexperienced listeners and speakers will conclude that Efik and Ibibio are exactly the same. While they are intelligible, variations exist in the language that other the native speakers themselves can truly spot. The Efik King, the Obong of Calabar, is a first class ruler that is seen as the Efik most paramount monarch.

OP, Please do your research well. there is nothing like Riverian Ibibio knows as Efik. there is also nothing like Ibibio people from Cross River State.
Good you mention that the EFIK KING IS A FIRST CLASS RULER what class is an Ibibio ruler?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by somegirl1: 9:14am On Nov 03, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Scared of quoting your lexical god, huh? I always best you litluns. I can even provide a link of me ridiculing you tactically and laying waste to your claims with facts till you cowered in submission.

Your posts reek of insecurity.
Igbos only got involved in this thread when you mistook the op for one. Reread from the first page if you must.
Rather than accept your mistake, you went on.
It's laughable that people who run into their holes when the chips are down, due to mere beer parlour gossip, have the guts to speak.
You are only tough when you hide behind the skirt if Nigeria.
Do you not have men like Igbo men? Do the heights of our sons scare you?

8 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Chommieblaq(f): 9:20am On Nov 03, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Has it added anything to ur life or that of ur people, attention seeking e-celebritity wanna be!!!

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 9:38am On Nov 03, 2015
somegirl1:

Your posts reek of insecurity.
Igbos only got involved in this thread when you mistook the op for one. Reread from the first page if you must.
Rather than accept your mistake, you went on.
It's laughable that people who run into their holes when the chips are down, due to mere beer parlour gossip, have the guts to speak.
You are only tough when you hide behind the skirt if Nigeria.
Do you not have men like Igbos do? Do our heights scare you?

Dimwit, if we ever seek secession from Nigeria, it would be to form a confederacy with other parts of the SOUTH-SOUTH only.cool

While you Igbos keep getting ridiculed in your delusional, ill-fated quest for Biafra, we fought for 25% resource control and we got it. Now 50% is the aim.wink

Igbos have nothing! Your geriatric dad depends on ND oil sale proceeds to feed you!

Your people are targeted in the North and South-West but they dare not try my people. Ask about what happened at Tinubu Square, Lagos in 2OO4.

We own you. We use you to champion our cause. You'd do anything for our oil wouldn't you?cheesy PILFERERS!

Your lands are useless. I bet you won't go home for Christmas because 1. Your roads are in disrepair and 2. Your homes have been washed away.cheesy

Sun-burnt _bastard from "THE RED SOIL REPUBLIC".

They threatened to dump you in the Lagoon and, of course, you'd do nothing! COWARDS!

Your hero, OJUKWU, fled disguised as a WOMAN!cheesy
[/b]
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 9:47am On Nov 03, 2015
Chommieblaq:

Has it added anything to ur life or that of ur people, attention seeking e-celebritity wanna be!!!

Kiddo, I am already more popular than you are. Thanks to my lexical prowess. wink

In the grand scheme of things, you are less than an atom.

When you nosey Igbos learn to stay out of our brotherly squabbles like we stay away from your Anambra-versus-Imo or Igbos-versus-Ebonyi squabbles, then I'd stop.

While my forefathers were writing in Nsibidi, your people still were unintelligible.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Tedassie(m): 9:51am On Nov 03, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Where you went wrong was calling all of us Ibibios. We are NOT ibibios mbok. Yes we are related, yes we are family, yes we are under one umbrella. Just that we don't have any umbrella name like the Yorubas, Igbos, Hausaa call themselves. Calling all of us Ibibios is like calling all Yorubas Ijebus. That's sacrilege!
So you understand what I'm trying to say now huh?
@bolded...that's the crux of the matter,we(Ibibio,Anang,Oro) don't have a GENERIC name so to speak,we need a common name that we could be identified with by all.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by macklef(m): 9:53am On Nov 03, 2015
Thread no 10, normally, i wunt have bothered to comment.
But #ProudlyAkwaibom #proudlyIbibio #proudlyEket #proudlyNsitUbiomn
And proud of our thick thighed and light skinned preety nwans
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by kulay1(m): 10:03am On Nov 03, 2015
Amesiere o! Means good morning in akwa ibom.
As a youth corper, I enjoyed my time there esp the language, delicacy and their ladies (one of d prettiest in Nigeria). They are accommodating and peace loving people.
Akwa Ibom Ayaya o
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by somegirl1: 10:08am On Nov 03, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Dimwit, if we ever seek secession from Nigeria, it would be to form a confederacy with other parts of the SOUTH-SOUTH only.cool

While you Igbos keep getting ridiculed in your delusional, ill-fated quest for Biafra, we fought for 25% resource control and we got it. Now 50% is the aim.wink

Igbos have nothing! Your geriatric dad depends on ND oil sale proceeds to feed you!

Your people are targeted in the North and South-West but they dare not try my people. Ask about what happened at Tinubu Square, Lagos in 2OO4.

We own you. We use you to champion our cause. You'd do anything for our oil wouldn't you?cheesy PILFERERS!

Your lands are useless. I bet you won't go home for Christmas because 1. Your roads are in disrepair and 2. Your homes have been washed away.cheesy

Sun-burnt _bastard from "THE RED SOIL REPUBLIC".

They threatened to dump you in the Lagoon and, of course, you'd do nothing! COWARDS!

Your hero, OJUKWU, fled disguised as a WOMAN!cheesy
[/b]

Lol
See who owns anyone. Attempt to be anything but docile and servile and see who owns whom.
Igbos don't need you or anyone to form a country.
Nothing wrong with two friendly countries living side by side. That's all we require from you.
People who would back out of a cause for a silly reason aren't exactly the sort you want to keep close.

4 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by pazienza(m): 10:22am On Nov 03, 2015
How in Jupita did I miss this thread?

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:22am On Nov 03, 2015
fratermathy sorry I couldn't contribute to this thread yesterday. ,I saw your Mention in my other moniker but I couldn't Reply because Se-un and his mod place a ban on me because I told them they are moving trash to FP..onovio nor b small battle oo.. atleast the Thread Hit FP.. am happy with that grin

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by daemonville(m): 10:23am On Nov 03, 2015
fratermathy:

I just don't get how this Oron and Ibibio argument started. Mr Sowell28 please stop derailing MY THREAD. If you want to argue callously, OPEN YOUR OWN THREAD.

Thank you.

Oron and Ibibio are ONE!

Sowell is only attempting to clear the erroneous conception that the Oro region is an extension of Ibibio land, though he is not going about it properly. The Oro people have a very different and unique/distinctive origin, they migrated from upper camerouns at a time long before the ibibio's migrated to modern day Akwa Ibom, the Oro people share more in common with the Efiks than the Ibibios. Peaceful coexistence and intermarriage has over the years forged a strong and common bond among this indigent ethnic groups in Akwa Ibom/Cross River to a point whereby the dialects intermingle. If u research the family tree of the Ibibios and the Oros, you will understand that they are brothers by association not by kinship. As regards Oil, given the fact that Oro is on the bank of the Atlantic Ocean and having a very huge chunks of territorial rights, offshore oil in that territorial waters fall in d domain of the Oro people, thus making them the biggest Oil producing region in the Delta. Fratermathy, thanks for your write up, we indigent Ibibios/Oros will contribute to it positively.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:25am On Nov 03, 2015
somegirl1:

Lol
See who owns anyone. Attempt to be anything but docile and servile and see who owns whom.
Igbos don't need you or anyone to form a country.
Nothing wrong with two friendly countries living side by side. That's all we require from you.
People who would back out of a cause for a silly reason aren't exactly the sort you want to keep close.

In my earlier posts, I gave examples of Igbos being tortured.

Akure youths stripped and flogged your Igwe. You've been chased out of markets. DOGS!

Hausas slaughter you for sport!

The Ijaws seized your properties! Nigeria gave you 20 POUNDS! Such ridicule!cheesy

Igbos are slaves! Simpleton-esque Osu! Even your gods cursed you!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 10:26am On Nov 03, 2015
pazienza:
How in Jupita did I miss this thread?

because You were busy In other thread arguing baseless stuff
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by pazienza(m): 10:30am On Nov 03, 2015
To start with, Ibibioland has no single drop of crude oil.
Akwa-ibom crude oil wealth belongs to Eastern Obolo,Ibeno and Oron people.

Akwa Ibom crude oil wealth is mainly offshore, and a single look at Akwa-ibom map will show that Eastern Obolo, Ibeno and Mbo( Oron) LGAs of Akwa-ibom occupy 99% of Akwa-ibom coastal lands.

Ibibio is in no position to mock Ndiigbo or Annangs about crude oil, as their claim to crude oil wealth is because of that fact that they currently co exist in the same state with the Ibenos Obolos and Oron people, who are by the way itching for separate existence, and will soon or later get it.

So I don't know what is highing the Sonofmark of a guy.

7 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by pazienza(m): 10:36am On Nov 03, 2015
I can understand an Eastern Obolo, Ibeno or Oron( mbo) person hyperventilating over crude oil wealth and mocking Ndiigbo, but an Ibibio who is currently parasitic to the Eastern Obolo, Ibeno and Oron nations to do the same, smacks of gross stupidity and ignorance on the part of the Ibibio person.

6 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by harryubak(m): 10:46am On Nov 03, 2015
Awwwww good write up. Am an Ibibio, and u made me want to visit AKS soon. Was there last in 2008.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:54am On Nov 03, 2015
pazienza:
To start with, Ibibioland has no single drop of crude oil.
Akwa-ibom crude oil wealth belongs to Eastern Obolo,Ibeno and Oron people.

Akwa Ibom crude oil wealth is mainly offshore, and a single look at Akwa-ibom map will show that Eastern Obolo, Ibeno and Mbo( Oron) LGAs of Akwa-ibom occupy 99% of Akwa-ibom coastal lands.

Ibibio is in no position to mock Ndiigbo or Annangs about crude oil, as their claim to crude oil wealth is because of that fact that they currently co exist in the same state with the Ibenos Obolos and Oron people, who are by the way itching for separate existence, and will soon or later get it.

So I don't know what is highing the Sonofmark of a guy.

Really? Then how come Ikot Abasi L.G.A is listed as an oil producing community?cheesy I can tell the quarterly allocations for each clan in Ikot Abasi L.G.A. I bet you know zilch about it.wink

Where is IPC located? cheesy Do you realize Ikot Abasi borders the Atlantic Ocean and has more islands too?

Google "Ikot Abasi" to learn more.

Has it occurred to you why Ikot Abasi dominates the political sphere of Eket Senatorial District?cheesy

Need I go on?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by pazienza(m): 11:20am On Nov 03, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Really? Then how come Ikot Abasi L.G.A is listed as an oil producing community?cheesy I can tell the quarterly allocations for each clan in Ikot Abasi L.G.A. I bet you know zilch about it.wink

Where is IPC located? cheesy Do you realize Ikot Abasi borders the Atlantic Ocean and has more islands too?

Google "Ikot Abasi" to learn more.

Has it occurred to you why Ikot Abasi dominates the political sphere of Eket Senatorial District?cheesy

Need I go on?

Yes Ikot Abasi is oil producing, pardon me for forgetting it's part of Ibibio, seeing as it was part of the Opobo Kingdom, I often forget it's Ibibio, especially with clans like Ikpa Ibekwe as part of its make up.

Yea, if we add Ikot Abasi to Ibibioland, then Ibibio will have claim to crude oil, but it wouldn't still be in the magnitude of those of Ibeno, Obolo and Oron, and certainly won't be enough to bring the transformation currently taking place in Uyo.

Politics is about numbers, the Ibibios have the numbers, that's why they are dominant in Eket Zone.

Ikot Abasi consists like less than 5% of Akwa-ibom sea coast, and most of Akwa-ibom oil wealth is offshore and is only laid claim to by Akwa ibom only because of Ibeno Obolo and Mbo sea coasts. Akwa ibom took Cross river oil wealth sometime ago, courtesy of Mbo sea coasts.

4 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by somegirl1: 11:32am On Nov 03, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

In my earlier posts, I gave examples of Igbos being tortured.

Akure youths stripped and flogged your Igwe. You've been chased out of markets. DOGS!

Hausas slaughter you for sport!

The Ijaws seized your properties! Nigeria gave you 20 POUNDS! Such ridicule!cheesy

Igbos are slaves! Simpleton-esque Osu! Even your gods cursed you!

Pint- size,
You need to learn to read.
An ohaneze ndi Igbo leader in a state is not an Igwe.
Hausas slaughtered you as well hence your joining the Biafran cause in the first place plus they slaughter anyone. They are blood thirsty.
Ijaws seized property and we were given £20. Good thing you know we had property coveted by some before the war. Where are we now? We've repurchased and developed even better property in PH. A good number of Igbos in PH own their own homes and more to rent. All achieved with £20.
Testament to our resilience, tenaciousness and dominance.
You wouldn't have been able to achieve what we have collectively and individually.
Despite not having been flogged, slaughtered (if you prefer to believe that), had properties seized and given just £20 to start over, you are the face and voice of domestic and menial services.

I'm done with this exchange.
I'm interested in bigger fish.

8 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:38am On Nov 03, 2015
pazienza:

Yes Ikot Abasi is oil producing, pardon me for forgetting it's part of Ibibio, seeing as it was part of the Opobo Kingdom, I often forget it's Ibibio, especially with clans like Ikpa Ibekwe as part of its make up.

Yea, if we add Ikot Abasi to Ibibioland, then Ibibio will have claim to crude oil, but it wouldn't still be in the magnitude of those of Ibeno, Obolo and Oron, and certainly won't be enough to bring the transformation currently taking place in Uyo.

Politics is about numbers, the Ibibios have the numbers, that's why they are dominant in Eket Zone.

Ikot Abasi consists like 5% of Akwa-ibom sea coast.

Thanks for acknowledging we produce oil. cool

Have you ever wondered why Ikot Abasi L.G.A can afford to pay the highest bursary in Akwaibom State?

Have you ever wondered why Ikot Abasi L.G.A roads are better than Oron, Eket and Ibeno roads even with little support from the State Government?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Chommieblaq(f): 11:38am On Nov 03, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Kiddo, I am already more popular than you are. Thanks to my lexical prowess. wink

In the grand scheme of things, you are less than an atom.

When you nosey Igbos learn to stay out of our brotherly squabbles like we stay away from your Anambra-versus-Imo or Igbos-versus-Ebonyi squabbles, then I'd stop.

While my forefathers were writing in Nsibidi, your people still were unintelligible.
Who wan follow u drag popularity, na food ne? Ur always on d edge, always on d defense, brag unnecessarily n u use ur big grammar to cover up ur inferiority complex,.. No bi so life be hmmm take a chill pill no one is out for your head!

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by cheruv: 11:44am On Nov 03, 2015
naijaguy77:

Are you sick? Since when did Oron people become Ibibio? And since when did Oro language or even Efik language become an Ibibio dialect?

Just consider the following facts:

1) Oro people speak oro language, they also generally understand Efik language but only because the bible was first translated into Efik, so the missionaries used Efik to spread the gospel. Even in the most rural parts of Oro, people can understand efik, but ibibio is some irritating sound that no one relates to.

2) Ibibio is a dialect of Efik, not the other way around. Efik is the main language, it is understood by everyone, Efiks, Oros, Ibibios, Anangs, etc. The Efik bible is what is used from Ikot Ekpene to Ikot Ansa, so I wonder which alternate universe you live in where Ibibio is a language and Efik is a dialect?

3) What are the characteristics of a language, as opposed to a dialect? Efik is studied in university, Efik has poetry and artistic music from Inyang Nta Henshaw to Peter Effiom, plays and playwrights, literary luminaries, Professors of Efik language such as E.N. Amaku, Efik alphabets and etymology. Jesus, what is ibibio? Ibibio is a barbaric dialect of the efik language.

Comparing Efik and Ibibio is like comparing Queens Engligh to Pidgin English, just because more idiots speak pidgin English doesn't make it the language, it is still the sub-language/dialect of proper English.

Maybe becuase you have started getting some oil money (which you don't even produce a drop of oil, oil is produced by Oros, Ibenos, and Obolos) and you are no longer houseboy and housegirl, you think you can come on nairaland and denigrate other people's culture and language? You better think again.

The Ibibios, up until recently, have been something of 2nd class citizens in that region. Because they live in the hinterland (despite being in a predominantly Riverine/coastal region) , they had the following misfortunes:

1) The Efiks and Oros are coastal people and their main commodity during the slave trade era were ibibios. They sold ibibios to Europe slave traders and this led to the generally perception of the ibibios as inferior. Since they had no access to the coast and were mere commodity.

2) During the colonial and missionary era, the Europeans first settled in the coast - Lagos, Calabar, Oron etc. Because of this, Education and Administrative generally went to people from the coastal regions, hence the reason why you find the oldest schools in these areas - Hope Waddell Training Institute Calabar, Methodist Boys High School Oron, St. Patrick's College Calabar, Kings College Lagos, etc. Because of this, the ibibios had no access to Education until the late 20th century. This naturally placed them at a disadvantage to the Efiks and Oros, who are coastal people and had earlier interaction with Europeans, embraced western education early, etc.

Today, you see jokers come on the internet to proclaim a barbaric dialect as a language. Can you tell us even one seminal work done in the ibibio dialect? None. You think a sound is considered a language because it is chanted by numerous monkeys?

What a joke.

The main language of the Lower Cross River Basin is EFIK. The dialects of Efik include Ibibio and Anang. Some related languages to Efik are Oro and Ibeno.
Nna eh undecided
Iwe ji gi oo shocked

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by DerKaiser: 11:47am On Nov 03, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
[s][/s]

Firstly, it's "LOL" and not "Lol".

About diction : Igbos are jokers. You pronounce "LAGOS" as "RAGOS", "PLATE" as "PRATE", "RAT" as "LAT"...cheesy

I bet you pronounce the letter M as "EMMU"!

FLATHEADED RACCOONS!

You are dogs. Nobody takes you seriously. Little wonder why you are called "CHEST BEATERS".

You are blood ritualists, fraudsters, robbers and everything ill with the Nigerian society. You even sold Ojukwu out for money!

Every fraud case always has an Igbo man involved. Your women are known pilferers. CHINO11, an Anambrarian, even confirms that Imo State women are prostitutes. cheesy

Everyone treats Igbos like pests. Two weeks ago, your Igwe was stripped _naked and flogged in Akure! cheesy He was chased out then he returned to plead for mercy. cheesy

Months ago, your Igbo brothers were shot like dogs in Aba market by the police.

The Ijaws used you, we did same too.

You sell your sisters in the disguise of bride price to feed your poor families.

You are so wretched that Ebonyi people cook HOUSE RATS. Yuck!

Everyday, online and offline, you are the butt of jokes. You'd always be slaves to be discarded when you serve your purpose.

Your people come to Uyo staring enviously at our infrastructures. Your leaders are thieves and South East is underdeveloped. You suck! I bet erosion has washed away half of your ancestral lands. Even your topsoil is clayey!

Igbos are uncivilized oppurtunists who try to latch on to other people's successes. You only wanted our oil. We uncovered your plan of renaming UYO to NEW OWERRI. Fraudsters.

You want access to sea. Your supposed friendship with us online is in the hope that we join your Biafran cause. Rivers State government vowed to deal with Biafran calls and so have we.

Next time you'd learn never to rub shoulders with your betters.
We won't join you in Biafra, thieves. Live with that! tongue
[/b]

Lol.

A lexical god that writes "opportunists" as "oppurtunists"

Sometimes you gotta love these self acclaimed "smarties" who come off dumber the more they talk.

You write like a kid. A bunch of disjointed ramblings that make little sense. You are better off munching away all your house pets in the name of delicacies.

All the monkeys and baboons in the Akwa-ibom and cross river jungle habitat are on an extinction course because of your voracious and inhuman appetite for nasty animals. Cave men.

While an average onitsha man may find it difficult to differentiate between the two alphabets R and L, he at least can boast of an intelligible language whose syllables could be picked out word for word.

The problem is that your so called language is not even a language to begin with. It is just a combination of really disgusting sounding noises put together to create an illusion of a language, no syllables, no intonations. Get the phuck outta here with that nonsense.

Our women have high dowries so that wretched things like your people could be warded off. Our women are beyond your grasp. They are famed for being among the most intelligent and beautiful on the African continent so it is only right that queens be reserved for kings and not stunted, dog eating savages called "calabar" men.

Your women on the other hand are worthless and utterly useless. Only good as house-helps, restaurant or drinking bar attendants and ashawos.

Come to europe or Houston and watch Igbo boys passing your girls around like fliers, 2 for the price of 1. Something you can never try with Igbo women.

Which female achievers have your people ever recorded since the inception of this godforsaken contraption called Nigeria? None. Zero. You phools always have to hide behind the Igbos in order to have any sense of self worth.

Your Uyo has nothing. Even with your 100 percent oil derivation, you people are still wretched as phuck. Your women are still being enslaved as maids and your mens' best profession is still riding okada. Aren't you ashamed?

Talking about building a Niger Delta State, please do not make me laugh. You as an Ibibio man has been wholly rejected by your peers and called sub-human right here on this thread, in the full glare of the world so who exactly do you think you are fooling?

You lack an identity and can't even maintain a single state and you are talking about a country with the same OP, an Urhobo man, that you have been going at since this thread was created. Boy are you dense or what?

By the way, you are not fooling anybody with your juvenile sounding grammar, that most times makes no sense. Lexical god indeed. More like a failed Patrick Obiahagbon who wasted his life soaking up the dictionary. You really sound dense with every reply you post.

Get lost you lazy, worthless, dog and monkey munching piece of s.hit. Crawl back into your jungle. You have more malnourished innocent kids to butcher in the name of exorcism.

Shameless people with no identity or stand.

Igbos will forever be your Gods and dominate every aspect of your existence. Unfortunately you can't wish us away. You are at our backyard so we can bring it any day.

7 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by pazienza(m): 11:49am On Nov 03, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Thanks for acknowledging we produce oil. cool
Have you ever wondered why Ikot Abasi L.G.A can afford to pay the highest bursary in Akwaibom State?
Have you ever wondered why Ikot Abasi L.G.A roads are better than Oron, Eket and Ibeno roads even with little support from the State Government?

Yes, Ikot Abasi is oil producing, but without Ibeno, Obolo and Oron, Akwa Ibom wont be a major oil producing state.

Take a look at a picture showing the locations of Nigeria oil wealth, both onshore and offshore.
Notice that Akwa-ibom has next to nothing onshore production. And that like 90% of its offshore oil fields are located offshore of Ibeno Obolo and Mbo( Oron).

Ndiigbo have never been bad neighbors to Ibibio- Annang- Efik people, why you would seek to start painting Ndiigbo in badlight, over comments made by an Urhobo man is beyond me.

You went far over the Line to bring Ndiigbo into a thread that had nothing to do with us, and then denigrate us, and caused some Igbos here to react in negative manner, it's too bad of you.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (17) (Reply)

Meet Pastor Ivie Emiko - The Wife Of New Olu Of Warri - Pictures / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Coronavirus: Umar Farouk, Emir Of Daura Rushed To Intensive Care Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.