Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,894 members, 7,814,021 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken (70188 Views)

How Many Nigerian Languages Are Spoken In Your Family? / Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / The Various Dialects Of The Urhobo Language And Where They Are Spoken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:29pm On Nov 02, 2015
shaboti:
All I can say is. Thank God im not from there.

smiley grin grin

See the mentality these e-warriors have created out of these beautiful people that I love even after the insults on me.

Bro, really, most of them are rational and good. I'm surprised seeing these stocks online. Well, it's Nairaland! People show their true selves.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by somegirl1: 10:31pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

I'd rather not whip the sick horse. IGBOS ANTAGONIZE THEMSELVES A LOT.

It wouldn't serve our common political goal(s) to push the issue but know this, missy: Igbos antagonize themselves. I can list countless examples to lay credence to my claim(s).

Just to prove to you how relatively united Akwaibomites are, here's an example:

The ministerial nominee for Akwaibom State (Udo Udoma) is an IBIBIO MAN but he was endorsed by all ethnic groups in the state.

Contrarily, every ministerial nominee from IGBOS STATES are being antagonized by sub-ethnic groups in each IGBO STATE.

NEED I GO ON?!

Your "IGBOS ARE UNITED" mantra doesn't stand.

Cc: Sweetlemon

You need to prove your unity to yourselves and perhaps others, not Igbos, seeing as the person you initially addressed is not Igbo.
Igbos are very competitive which is the root of most of our issues. Some, I won't mention names, just don't understand that it's ok to take the passenger and back seats sometimes.
Bottomline: You shouldn't be relatively more united than Igbos or any other groups. If you're united, you should be just that fullstop.

7 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sanguine77(m): 10:33pm On Nov 02, 2015
MsAnne:
Annang mma..iya
Annang mma..iya
Annang mma mma do...iya iyai
proudly an Annang lady...@op ur head is der
Why are you sharing snakes with me?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 10:33pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

cheesy grin

Like a friend on this thread, excel234, earlier said, whatever rocks your boat bro.

I spoke Pidgin and you spoke Ibibio abi na Efik or Oron, I don tire for the matter. Ride on Mr.
I tot u claimed urs was a rerearch on our language, how come u can't tell which language it is? Bros accept ur wiki copy n paste stop decieving urself, u did no term paper, talkless of a research.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:36pm On Nov 02, 2015
excel234:
Nothing like sub ethnic group in Igbo. You are either Igbo or not Igbo. Internal frictions are nt caused by sub ethnic group as you mentioned. Nothing like that in any homogeneous Igbo State

Igbo sub-ethnic groups:
https://www.nairaland.com/1141521/igbo-ethnic-group-nation-confusion smiley

More links are available on request.

There are also YORUBA SUB-ETHNIC GROUPS like the Eguns, Aworis, Ijebus e.t.c

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 10:37pm On Nov 02, 2015
christemmbassey:
I tot u claimed urs was a rerearch on our language, how come u can't tell which language it is? Bros accept ur wiki copy n paste stop decieving urself, u did no term paper, talkless of a research.

cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy

I like the way you are grilling his asss. If the guy can just accept that he was wrong we wouldn't have gone this hard on him. Yet see what he's still spewing out of his mouth here.
fratermathy:

I've learnt my lessons sir. Some people do not appreciate their ethnicity being documented by anyone other than themselves and yet they haven't done so until this moment. smiley
Once again, thanks for being a rational fellow.

smh
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:41pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy cheesy

I like the way you are grilling his asss. If the guy can just accept that he was wrong we wouldn't have gone this hard on him. Yet see what he's still spewing out of his mouth here.

smh
Chei. Calabar people, I see una finish today. Smh.

Whatever rocks your boat aunty.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 10:45pm On Nov 02, 2015
christemmbassey:

I can't speak and don't even want to learn your language. Keep your "intra-tribalism" to yourselves.
wink smiley
Once again, say what you will with your uncooked English. Whatever rocks your boat bro.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Bigcake: 10:47pm On Nov 02, 2015
Op i dash you free toto on top this your excellent analogy:

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:52pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

I've learnt my lessons sir. Some people do not appreciate their ethnicity being documented by anyone other than themselves and yet they haven't done so until this moment. smiley

Once again, thanks for being a rational fellow.

You mean your copy-and-paste half-truths from redundant website is a documentation of our history? Who are you to document our history when we've already done so?

The europeans first made contact with us before you in the hinterland. Heck! We've had our history documented CENTURIES ago while you lots are still confused and linking yourselves delusionally to ISRAEL.

Post links to the earliest documentation of your people let's see who should document who.

Such irking, blatant display of arrogant pseudo-intelligence!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Sweetlemon(f): 10:56pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

You mean your copy-and-paste half-truths from redundant website is a documentation of our history? Who are you to document our history when we've already done so?

The europeans first made contact with us before you in the hinterland. Heck! We've had our history documented CENTURIES ago while you lots are still confused and linking yourselves delusionally to ISRAEL.

Post links to the earliest documentation of your people let's see who should document who.

Chai!
Chei!
DiarisGodooooo
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by hoobs(m): 10:59pm On Nov 02, 2015
In conclusion OIL IS A CURSE!

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 10:59pm On Nov 02, 2015
christemmbassey:

Frathermathy is a liar. I dare him to mention the names of the UniUyo scholars he supposedly consulted. I wouldn't mind arranging appointments with these supposed scholars.

Even Prof. Edet Okon Uya, prejudiced as he was, wouldn't put up with this.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by squaddy(m): 10:59pm On Nov 02, 2015
Dannyset:
Threads like this should be on the FP from day one. It's so educating and rich. Makes you fall in love with other tribes too. Nigeria is really blessed.

Lalasticlala pushed it to FP after fully digesting it.

OP, more power to your shoulder.

That Nigeria is made up of numerous ethnic groups who hate each other is a blessing?

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 11:01pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Sweetlemon:

Chai!
Chei!
DiarisGodooooo

TheSonOfMark:

Frathermathy is a liar. I dare him to mention the names of the UniUyo scholars he supposedly consulted. I wouldn't mind arranging appointments with these supposed scholars.

Whatever rocks your boat. Y'all should go on, hate yourselves, fight a war and whatever. Keep your savagery within yourselves. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 11:06pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

bros no mind d comedian, d guy no near Ikpa Rd at all, ordinary term paper will not contain such trash..
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 11:10pm On Nov 02, 2015
christemmbassey:
bros no mind d comedian, d guy no near Ikpa Rd at all, ordinary term paper will not contain such trash..

cool

You can't write the bulk of what I have written even in 10years to come. Google my name and see my profile.
Ikpa Road ko, Nwanibia Road ni.

Once again, learn how to speak good English. Too much Ibibio/Efik/Oron/Eket has made you unable to communicate coherently. You talk like a kindergarten leaver with elusive scribbles.

Whatever rocks your boat though. I suggest you pick up a gun and start an Efik-Ibibio great War.

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 11:15pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

I can't speak and don't even want to learn your language. Keep your "intra-tribalism" to yourselves.
wink smiley
Once again, say what you will with your uncooked English. Whatever rocks your boat bro.
so ur COOKED English and presented it as a research work? U c ya life?
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by BreezyRita(f): 11:16pm On Nov 02, 2015
Pryd, oya come and read about this unique people. gringrin
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:17pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

Whatever rocks your boat. Y'all should go on, hate yourselves, fight a war and whatever. Keep your savagery within yourselves. cheesy

Liar! Mention the names of the UNIVERSITY OF UYO SCHOLARS who you claimed to have consulted. You know I am disgracing you.

The Akwa-Cross people aren't like the Yoruba-Benins who fell from the sky or the Igbos who still dream of being Jesus' kinsmen.cheesy

We know our history. We were the first to be educated and were more civil which are amongst the very reasons why the europeans first set up base in Calabar and conquered you from our base.

Even before the advent of the Europeans, we the Akwa-Cross people had a writing system called "NSIBIDI". Google it!

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Keneeby(m): 11:18pm On Nov 02, 2015
naijaguy77:

Are you sick? Since when did Oron people become Ibibio? And since when did Oro language or even Efik language become an Ibibio dialect?

Just consider the following facts:

1) Oro people speak oro language, they also generally understand Efik language but only because the bible was first translated into Efik, so the missionaries used Efik to spread the gospel. Even in the most rural parts of Oro, people can understand efik, but ibibio is some irritating sound that no one relates to.

2) Ibibio is a dialect of Efik, not the other way around. Efik is the main language, it is understood by everyone, Efiks, Oros, Ibibios, Anangs, etc. The Efik bible is what is used from Ikot Ekpene to Ikot Ansa, so I wonder which alternate universe you live in where Ibibio is a language and Efik is a dialect?

3) What are the characteristics of a language, as opposed to a dialect? Efik is studied in university, Efik has poetry and artistic music from Inyang Nta Henshaw to Peter Effiom, plays and playwrights, literary luminaries, Professors of Efik language such as E.N. Amaku, Efik alphabets and etymology. Jesus, what is ibibio? Ibibio is a barbaric dialect of the efik language.

Comparing Efik and Ibibio is like comparing Queens Engligh to Pidgin English, just because more idiots speak pidgin English doesn't make it the language, it is still the sub-language/dialect of proper English.

Maybe becuase you have started getting some oil money (which you don't even produce a drop of oil, oil is produced by Oros, Ibenos, and Obolos) and you are no longer houseboy and housegirl, you think you can come on nairaland and denigrate other people's culture and language? You better think again.

The Ibibios, up until recently, have been something of 2nd class citizens in that region. Because they live in the hinterland (despite being in a predominantly Riverine/coastal region) , they had the following misfortunes:

1) The Efiks and Oros are coastal people and their main commodity during the slave trade era were ibibios. They sold ibibios to Europe slave traders and this led to the generally perception of the ibibios as inferior. Since they had no access to the coast and were mere commodity.

2) During the colonial and missionary era, the Europeans first settled in the coast - Lagos, Calabar, Oron etc. Because of this, Education and Administrative generally went to people from the coastal regions, hence the reason why you find the oldest schools in these areas - Hope Waddell Training Institute Calabar, Methodist Boys High School Oron, St. Patrick's College Calabar, Kings College Lagos, etc. Because of this, the ibibios had no access to Education until the late 20th century. This naturally placed them at a disadvantage to the Efiks and Oros, who are coastal people and had earlier interaction with Europeans, embraced western education early, etc.

Today, you see jokers come on the internet to proclaim a barbaric dialect as a language. Can you tell us even one seminal work done in the ibibio dialect? None. You think a sound is considered a language because it is chanted by numerous monkeys?

What a joke.

The main language of the Lower Cross River Basin is EFIK. The dialects of Efik include Ibibio and Anang. Some related languages to Efik are Oro and Ibeno.

Oron would continue to serve the Ibibios till time immemorial. We rule you and nothing you can do. We are ur masters so you have to serve us. We control the Aks and all its resources. Plz if you cnt accept this fact go and hug transformer. God gave us that authority and power to rule and control you. So you can't help. It is not ur fault, sorry. Thankz.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 02, 2015
My sweetheart is from oron and she made me an expert in cooking afang soup, do you know we call that vegetable ukazi in my native igbo language?

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 11:23pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Liar! Mention the names of the UNIVERSITY OF UYO SCHOLARS who you claimed to have consulted. You know I am disgracing you.

The Akwa-Cross people aren't like the Yoruba-Benins who fell from the sky or the Igbos who still dream of being Jesus' kinsmen.cheesy

We know our history. We were the first to be educated and were more civil which are amongst the very reasons why the europeans first set up base in Calabar and conquered you from our base.

Even before the advent of the Europeans, we the Akwa-Cross people had a writing system called "NSIBIDI". Google it!

1. Okon ESSIEN-Professor of Efik/Ibibio B.A Nsukka, M.A (California), Ph.D. (Edinburgh)
2. Eno-Abasi E. URUA-Professor of Ibibio Ph.D. (Ibadan); MA (Ibadan); BA (Edu) (Calabar)
3. I. L. UDOH- Professor of Efik PhD, MA, BA (Calabar)
4. Dr. ANYANWU- PhD, MA, BA (Port Harcourt)
5. Dr. Itoro MICHAEL- PhD (Ibadan), MA, BA (Uyo)
6. Dr. Okokon AKPAN- PhD, MA. (Calabar); BA (Uyo)

Etc etc.
I've made my point. If you have a point to make about your people, write a book on it cool. Help your people rather than come here with fancy fonts and make vain statements.

Tribalism doesn't help anyone. You guys just spoilt the mind of many people on this thread who are just watching your people. How can Calabar people behave like this? What was thought to belong only to the "main languages" is even in Calabar. Chei. Worse, not even with others but with themselves.

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 11:24pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

cool

You can't write the bulk of what I have written even in 10years to come. Google my name and see my profile.

Once again, learn how to speak good English. Too much Ibibio/Efii/Oron/Eket has made you unable to communicate coherently. You talk like a kindergarten leaver with elusive scribbles.

Whatever rocks your boat though. I suggest you pick up a gun and start an Efik-Ibibio great War.
I don't blame you, anybody can copy, cook n paste expired materials and call it 'my writings'. For d uncooked English? Go n die!
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:27pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

cool

Once again, learn how to speak good English. Too much Ibibio/Efik/Oron/Eket has made you unable to communicate coherently. You talk like a kindergarten leaver with elusive scribbles.

Alas! He resort to tribal slurs!

You are Urhobo, right? Everyone knows Urbohos do a piss-poor at pronouncing words of the Anglo lingua correctly hence why you mask your flaws by ALWAYS SPEAKING PIDGIN ENGLISH.

I have a better command of spoken English than you do. Since you are in Uyo, supposedly, we could put that to test. I bet you even pronouce 'OIL' as 'OYEL' like your half-literate kinsmen.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 11:28pm On Nov 02, 2015
christemmbassey:
I don't blame you, anybody can copy, cook n paste expired materials and call it 'my writings'. For d uncooked English? Go n die!

cool wink

Sue me for Plagiarism if you know how to make such proceedings. Mtcheww!

Mbok spend your time wisely. Stop hating those who love your people. Learn, write and change your life. It is well with you.

I love you guys. Say no to xenophobia and violence.
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by AkwaIbomrep1: 11:29pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

The creator of this thread is def NOT from Akwa-Ibom/Cross river.

I just hate the way false knowledge is being spread about on this forum. That was how someone said that there are Igbo tribes in Akwa/Cross and the dumb thread made FP. I was like WTF!
are u a human being ? Where do u know in cross river & Akwa ibom ? There are igbo speaking tribe in Abuochiche, Ekwurekwu and so many other communities in cross river state & here in Akwa ibom there are many igbo speaking communities in Ini , Ikono as well as some part of Obot akara LGAs these LGAs share common boundary with Arochukwu, Bende LGAs of Abia state we also have some annang speaking tribe in those LGAs of Abia state... learn #VisitAkwaibom

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 11:31pm On Nov 02, 2015
TheSonOfMark:

Alas! He resort to tribal slurs!

You are Urhobo, right? Everyone knows Urbohos do a piss-poor at pronouncing words of the Anglo lingua correctly hence why you mask your flaws by ALWAYS SPEAKING PIDGIN ENGLISH.

I have a better command of spoken English than you do. Since you are in Uyo, supposedly, we could put that to test. I bet you even pronouce 'OIL' as 'OYEL' like your half-literate kinsmen.

cheesy wink

How do you know I can speak Urhobo?. Heck, do you even know if I grew up in your land? You are used to being so wrong aren't you?

Whatever rocks your boat bro.
I didn't insult Calabar people, I rebuffed a person. If you want to start a tribal war, please start with Ibibios and Efiks. They are close to you bro.

You have a better command of English than I do? Freemanan come and see o. Or is it because of your fancy fonts that you are being delusional? Like I said, Google my name. It's on my profile. smiley
Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by AkwaIbomrep1: 11:34pm On Nov 02, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Thunder fire you!
God forbid, may God forgive u , I don't curse, because if I do, u will see ur self in another planet within a twinkle of an eye .... Be warned !

3 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by fratermathy(m): 11:36pm On Nov 02, 2015
AkwaIbomrep1:
God forbid, may God forgive u , I don't curse, because if I do, u will see ur self in another planet within a twinkle of an eye .... Be warned !

Thank you for not returning the hostility. Your types are the reason I love your people so much. smiley
I wish I could be more like you. I can't tolerate insults to my person! Not when I'm alive and can talk. However, I detest violence of any kind.

Keep it up. Akwa Ibom Ayaya cool
Cross River Ayaya

1 Like

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by Keneeby(m): 11:38pm On Nov 02, 2015
Op you have done a every nice and wonderful research. Keep it up. Oron, Eket, Annang, Efik etc are all from Ibibio. They can't deny the fact. Well done sir!

2 Likes

Re: The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken by christemmbassey(m): 11:39pm On Nov 02, 2015
fratermathy:

cool wink

Sue me for Plagiarism if you know how to make such proceedings. Mtcheww!

Mbok spend your time wisely. Stop hating those who love your people. Learn, write and change your life. It is well with you.

I love you guys. Say no to xenophobia and violence.
do u know the meaning of expired PL? Or u'r just pretending? Who is fighting here? U copied, cooked and pasted trash n refuse to accept ur publicly displayed foolishness. . Go n sleep joor!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

I Want To Learn Itsekiri Language (get In) / Photos Of Dogo, The "Tallest Man In Kaduna" / Fallen 100-Year-Old Tree In Oyo Rises Again, Pulls Crowd (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.