Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:29 PM

Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? (4368 Views)

See What A Woman Was Spotted Doing While Riding A Bicycle(photo) / Bicycle Ride By Osita Chidoka To Last Federal Executive Meeting (photos) / Man Rides Bicycle From Kaduna To Lagos To Thank Yorubas For Voting Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by busibodi(f): 3:40pm On May 13, 2009
I am sorry, I will not stoop that low. I am not here to pretend I can read your mind, hence the reason why I asked you
to please explain what you mean. Reading between the line does not answer the question I asked.

who cares.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by vanitty: 3:41pm On May 13, 2009
Where i work is a good two hours to mine by car, i will be on the road forever if i have to cycle.
i don't mind cycling for health or leisure but not to work
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by tkb417(m): 4:09pm On May 13, 2009
Cycling in Pot holes?
You can cycle in ur village not Lagos.

You will just die for nothing
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by PurestBoy(m): 4:11pm On May 13, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You have never really cycled before, have you? Your wife could drive your kids to school while you cycle where you need to get to, if within cycling distance. Millions across america, most of them corporate workers, cycle to work or to local transit each day. These have brief cases and laptops they carry about with them as well. I happen to be in training myself so I can start cycling to the train station and then to the lake in the evenings. I rode the bike last night to go get grocery and I did not have food falling off my back or something. lol

Nice idea, I'm on my way to the dealer to trade my honda baby boy for a bicycle. I think this will be great, just thinking on what I'll tell my friend and what people would say about my situation
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 4:16pm On May 13, 2009
If your life is about what people say and think of you, then I cannot help you there with information. I own a car but ride a bike because it is

a) Convenient
b) Easier to park
c) Helps me avoid traffic when I can
d) Helps me get healthier
e) Takes the stress of my car
f) Cheaper as it helps me cut down drastically on cost of fuel, and car repairs
g) Allows me make my contribution to the environment

You would have to come up with your own list before you embark on such. It is not for all, hence the reason why the poster is here asking if you think it would fit, not demanding that you make it fit, into your life.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by bawomolo(m): 4:39pm On May 13, 2009
You guys don't get the point. no one said use the bicycle for long distance.

bicycles can be used for short trips or a for a trip to the bus/train stations (for developed countries that have park and rides)
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by fayahsoul: 4:43pm On May 13, 2009
naijacutee:

Thank you, Elrazur! No one is saying ride from Isolo to VI - If what separated me from my work was 3 hours of traffic (sitting in an air-conditioned car), and I had the option of cycling out of that traffic and getting to work in 30 minutes, please forget status etc - I would cycle! The only problem is that with Okadas everywhere, they would probably push cyclists out of the way. So in Lagos, no. But in a quieter town like Abuja or Jos, definitely!

Nice one.

I just want to add that we need to look at it on a more broader context such as how our means to a livelihood could be restructured to make cycling more practicle. This ofcourse requires a strong will to be self-determined. We need to really rethink the way we live and the institutions we are bonded to. Babylon has fallen. Now look at you. . . you're shook.

I'm anti anti-revolutionary thought
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 5:12pm On May 13, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Are you talking about a bicycle or a bike here?

@ post

Road bike is sometimes used for "Competition bicycles" like the ones you see in "Tour de france". The are designed primarily for use on the road since they do not come with suspension springs, but instead have a very light frame and low profile tyres. smiley
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 5:13pm On May 13, 2009
Off topic, BusiBodi are you seriously in a relationship? I pity the fool who dare dates you. You clearly lack the ability to communicate. grin
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 5:15pm On May 13, 2009
I remember back some years ago, riding bikes in Nigeria was no big deal. People used to transport their wares to and fro the markets on their bikes. Even farmers travelled to their farms on bikes. I sincerely believe we need to start thinking of alternative and cheaper means to help save us all money and also help free up the roads.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 5:25pm On May 13, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I remember back some years ago, riding bikes in Nigeria was no big deal. People used to transport their wares to and fro the markets on their bikes. Even farmers travelled to their farms on bikes. I sincerely believe we need to start thinking of alternative and cheaper means to help save us all money and also help free up the roads.

True talk.

In places like Ekit, Ondo and outskirts or Ilorin - Omuo'aran etc. It is not uncommon to see farmers using a bike as their main source of transport.

The traffic situation is so bad in Lagos that I prefer taking Okada than the car. One of the many reasons I just refuse to have a primary base in Lagos.

As for freeing up the road, I personally think a few of our roads needs expanding, our road users need to be trained - I wonder how many people really have a proper driving licence on Nigerian road. Or better still, how many of these people took a test and went to a driving school? It sucks when with the right amount of money, one can get a Nigeria Driving Licence just like that. shocked
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by naijacutee(f): 5:47pm On May 13, 2009
ElRazur:

Off topic, BusiBodi are you seriously in a relationship? I pity the fool who dare dates you. You clearly lack the ability to communicate. grin

I pity you. I know you warned us all that this is off-topic but how can you judge her lovelife based on her comment about bicycles? If that's how you judge, then I pity you!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 5:55pm On May 13, 2009
naijacutee:

I pity you. I know you warned us all that this is off-topic but how can you judge her lovelife based on her comment about bicycles? If that's how you judge, then I pity you!

I observe my opponents before passing a judging type of comment. I suggest you go check her posting history. grin Communication is a key thing in relationship and quite frankly, she do not have it with her persona on the forum here. smiley. This is my last say on this, so as to not derail the thread further.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ikeyman00(m): 6:00pm On May 13, 2009
@@@@

useless trend

should be in auto i think
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by nich(m): 6:06pm On May 13, 2009
'dont mind riding a bike, but what do we do about dem crazie truck, trailer and tanker drivers? undecided
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 6:08pm On May 13, 2009
nich:

'dont mind riding a bike, but what do we do about dem crazie truck, trailer and tanker drivers? undecided

There are insurance for cyclist if needed. Or your personal insurance you should cover you. In the UK, cyclist are protected by law. I suppose we can have a similar scheme?
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by CyberG: 6:45pm On May 13, 2009
@ Topic. . .

I won't literally give up the car because it will come in handy when the winter kicks-in again or when I need to go out at night. . .maybe clubbing. . .or for whatever situations that happen for which a car is ideal. However, right now, the car is PARKED for good and hope I don't have to use it except I need to.

Looking at some of the comments here, it is obvious most Nigerians in Nigeria will think it ridiculous, below their status, dangerous, etc to ride a bicycle especially in a place like Lagos and other places. Well, yes, because Nigeria's road system and general infrastructure is almost completely collapsed and a lot of people's thinking went along with the collapse. A young person who never saw anything really work in his life (in Nigeria) will find it difficult to grasp how anyone suggests a bike can be ridden for 20 miles in a day in Nigeria.

Well, I ride a bike everyday (now in the warm weather), except when it is gone for a tune-up or something, and it is about 9-10 miles one way from home, so a total of about 20 miles a day. I cover that in about half an hour (one way) and I do not always go on the bike trail throughout my journey as I sometimes ride on the main road. Well, the attitude of the car driver is not anything that can be imagined in Nigeria. . .maybe for a long time. Any vehicle seeing a bike on the road will immediately give you so much following distance, or do a lane change, and basically treats you as a "vehicle" at that time. For the life of him, no car driver will ever try to `show-you`for using the road with "real vehicles" and they never born anyone who go hit you and think say he go get away with it. . .but you fit try sha and see what happens. At any uncontrolled intersection, no car will struggle to go before you. . .in fact he will stop well before you get to the intersection. On the bridges, you have dedicated bike tracks and bike trails for road terrains that are not good for a bike rider. If you have a real long commute. . .bike to a train station or bus stop, hop-in (with the bike) and continue at your next convenient train stop. How hard is that? (NOTE: There are still the occasional crazy and inexperienced car drivers, so YOU must equally be careful, protect yourself and exercise discretion ALWAYS)

Benefits of biking are lots and it was listed in an earlier post. . .to which you can add yours and see if it makes sense. However, status symbol is a ridiculous reason not to ride a bike. . .because who cares about your status? "This is not the UK, US or Canada". . .stupid excuse. . .another reason why Nigeria will still be a joke playing. . .catchup (after 2020) when those countries perfect the technology for personal helicopters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAD_e-tGpoM&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd99ziWFF7Q&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f09_yvcASLM

The guy riding the bike could have a bigger house, bigger car(s), more money than you could ever imagine, etc. . .not minding that your "big" car or SUV is just a burden he wouldn't even take as a gift!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 13, 2009
tkb417:

Cycling in Pot holes?

cheesy cheesy
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 6:53pm On May 13, 2009
tkb417:

Cycling in Pot holes?

Roflmao!!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 6:56pm On May 13, 2009
Nice post CyberG smiley
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by nich(m): 7:00pm On May 13, 2009
ElRazur:

There are insurance for cyclist if needed. Or your personal insurance you should cover you. In the UK, cyclist are protected by law. I suppose we can have a similar scheme?

insure.  .  .,  wetin? shocked  you mean a loved one gets some quid 'cos i got squashed?  shocked  undecided 

no way!

CyberG:

@ Topic. . .

Well, I ride a bike everyday (now in the warm weather), except when it is gone for a tune-up or something, and it is about 9-10 miles one way from home, so a total of about 20 miles a day. I cover that in about half an hour (one way) and I do not always go on the bike trail throughout my journey as I sometimes ride on the main road. Well, the attitude of the car driver is not anything that can be imagined in Nigeria. . .maybe for a long time. Any vehicle seeing a bike on the road will immediately give you so much following distance, or do a lane change, and basically treats you as a "vehicle" at that time. For the life of him, no car driver will ever try to `show-you`for using the road with "real vehicles" and they never born anyone who go hit you and think say he go get away with it. . .but you fit try sha and see what happens. At any uncontrolled intersection, no car will struggle to go before you. . .in fact he will stop well before you get to the intersection.

ehen! grin no be regular LAGOS driver be that!

CyberG:

Benefits of biking are lots and it was listed in an earlier post. . .to which you can add yours and see if it makes sense. However, status symbol is a ridiculous reason not to ride a bike. . .because who cares about your status? "This is not the UK, US or Canada". . .stupid excuse. . .another reason why Nigeria will still be a joke playing. . .catchup (after 2020) when those countries perfect the technology for personal helicopters:

there's hope sha. smiley
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 7:04pm On May 13, 2009
nich:

insure. . .,  wetin? shocked  you mean a loved one gets some quid 'cos i got squashed?  shocked  undecided 

no way!

Half bread is better than none! Besides, not every accident or mishaps results in death.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by CyberG: 7:23pm On May 13, 2009
ElRazur:

Nice post CyberG smiley

Thanks!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 8:16pm On May 13, 2009
ElRazur:

Half bread is better than none! Besides, not every accident or mishaps results in death.

No . . . seriously, no. No amount of insurance will do if you are planning to cycle on busy Lagos streets with them dangerous drivers. What good is insurance when the chances are astronomically high that you will not survive? roflmao!!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by mustafar1: 8:25pm On May 13, 2009
i told some people once, that most road accidents on lagos roads are not caused by the roads but by the users of the roads. dem think say i don craze because of that. but think about it.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On May 13, 2009
CyberG:

Benefits of biking are lots and it was listed in an earlier post. . .to which you can add yours and see if it makes sense. However, s[b]tatus symbol is a ridiculous reason not to ride a bike[/b]. . .because who cares about your status? "This is not the UK, US or Canada". . .stupid excuse. . .another reason why Nigeria will still be a joke playing. . .catchup (after 2020) when those countries perfect the technology for personal helicopters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAD_e-tGpoM&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd99ziWFF7Q&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f09_yvcASLM

The guy riding the bike could have a bigger house, bigger car(s), more money than you could ever imagine, etc. . .not minding that your "big" car or SUV is just a burden he wouldn't even take as a gift!

That happens to be one of our problems as a race ooo. We too care what others think. You can find CEO's and Executives cycling on a daily basis. All you need do is get on the street and you will see people of different caliber on their bikes. There are bike centers most everywhere you look.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by mustafar1: 8:35pm On May 13, 2009
I HOPE 'status symbol', 'what would people say about me', 'how can i be riding a bike', 'bicycles are for kids' WOULD NOT HELP BANKRUPT THE METRO SYSTEMS BEING PLANNED AS WELL.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by debosky(m): 8:40pm On May 13, 2009
I wouldn't give up my car, but I would consider biking if I worked in close proximity to my home.

A reason why Nigerians don't bike as much as you would expect is because you need the safety of your vehicle - the roads are too dangerous.

That said, the status symbol thing also plays into it, but many who own cars would jump on okadas if expedient so I don't think status is as much of an issue. I knew a deputy MD of a big company in naija who jumped on okada to catch his flight when he needed to. grin
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by smile4kenn(m): 8:56pm On May 13, 2009
Most people in Nigeria should be riding a bicycle. After all, the country manufactures virtually nothing. The amount of foreign exchange that is spent on the purchase of cars, generators, mobile phones and so many things that are manufactured abroad, is crippling the country. Imagine someone owning the latest Mercedes and quite comfortable with parking it outside a house that has no running water or electricity. When I see the High Commissioner swooning about London in his Jaguar, I laugh.
D Kaye, London
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 8:56pm On May 13, 2009
must_a_far:

I HOPE 'status symbol', 'what would people say about me', 'how can i be riding a bike', 'bicycles are for kids' WOULD NOT HELP BANKRUPT THE METRO SYSTEMS BEING PLANNED AS WELL.

Even in the nollywood movies, you see poor miserable farmers with tattered wear riding bicycles. Roflmao!!!!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by smile4kenn(m): 8:57pm On May 13, 2009
bike is faster to move about with but how would you fill sweeting your way early in the morning into your office?why should a country like nigeria short fuel to the extent that workers cant fuel thier car to go to work.how can you stand in the middle of a desert and look elsewhere for sand? it will not surprise me nigerians will say they are not getting air to inflate thier bike tyres if they should switch from cars to bikes if the corruption in that country continues.nigerians open your eyes.

nicholas quarshie, accra, Ghana
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 9:06pm On May 13, 2009
smile4kenn:

it will not surprise me nigerians will say they are not getting air to inflate thier bike tyres if they should switch from cars to bikes if the corruption in that country continues.nigerians open your eyes.

Lmao.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

North Remove Edo,delta,yoruba Into Benin Republic,north Become President2011 / Breaking News!: I May Expose Buhari -IBB* / What Happened To Radio Biafra?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.