Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:05 AM

Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? (4369 Views)

See What A Woman Was Spotted Doing While Riding A Bicycle(photo) / Bicycle Ride By Osita Chidoka To Last Federal Executive Meeting (photos) / Man Rides Bicycle From Kaduna To Lagos To Thank Yorubas For Voting Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ban1(m): 9:56pm On May 13, 2009
I'm not tryn 2 be rude coz I was once like this. Whenever 9jrians have a piece of advice from anyone in d uk or the states, they tend 2 believe it can not work because the people are not enlightened. U can be d first 2 do anythin new in Nigeria. Forget ur status. Look at ur weight loss, time factor, enviromental factor and so on. Dont wait 4 ur president coz he is not interested. I wish d present youth can save d next generation from d hand of our ignorant leaders. I may not be in 9ja but stil a 9ja 2 d blood.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by chinesedoll(f): 9:59pm On May 13, 2009
riding a bike in Lagos is like going on a suicide mission
if u come back with only one leg
Thank God grin grin
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 11:23pm On May 13, 2009
riding bicycle in lagos with all those danfo drivers and young boys who got there licence illegally shocked , who wan die, lol
we dont need to tell the people in government what to do(they are enlightened), they go overseas and see how it is done but they are busy looting money,
common pedestrian pathway we no get not to mention cycle lanes, lol grin
i studied a cycling and legislation course module in my BEng dgree civil engineering in UK , considering the massive funding and research that has gone into cycling projects and issues,after completing the course i can only conclude that Nigeria is like a 100years behind in terms of development from the G8 countries, undecided
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by tpiah: 11:33pm On May 13, 2009
Its definitely easier to bike outside Lagos than within the metropolis.

Biking in Lagos would be more feasible if the bikers got together and rode at the same time each day.

I think there are some white people doing that (bike meets) though I dont know if they live in Nigeria. Besides, they have an edge anyway, since drivers are more likely to be careful around them.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by mustafar1: 3:03am On May 14, 2009
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by spikedcylinder: 8:43am On May 14, 2009
tpiah:

Besides, they have an edge anyway, since drivers are more likely to be careful around them.

I hope you are not including danfo drivers in your stats.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 10:50am On May 14, 2009
Theres no issue with cycling. I work as a software engineer, and my company gave me a bike when I started, because it was just a 10-15 minute bike ride to my office. I cycle to work everyday. Theres infrastructure here for riding bikes. They have bike paths, and you can travel anywhere by bike as long as you got the stamina for it. It's encouraged here because theres no air pollution or environmental hazard. I have seen my professors in my former uni where I did my msc, coming to work on their bikes. At times they use their cars. Yet these people can go anywhere they want in the world for vacations and stuff. One of my friends was telling me of a professor of aerospace engineering whos gone to space, but at times he cycles.
That 'naija mentality' of 'what will they say' affects us a lot. I met a naija girl here, who said, lai lai, she couldn't ride a bike. It shows her level of thinking. She felt it was below her status.
Its healthy, cost effective, and fun, and no one says, riding a bike is for poor people. You would be surprised that some bikes here cost more than some tokunbo cars back home.
However, environment plays a key factor, and I wouldn't ride a bike home. Why? No infrastructure. I can imagine cycling to work, with one crazy okada man blaring his horn behind me. I can imagine people judging me by the fact I ride a bike, as seen on this thread. I can imagine cycling to my chicks house, and the gateman won't let me in. Also, I can imagine danfo guys, chancing me on the road. Try biking on 3rd mainland bridge. I am sure only oyibos might get away with that because people will think 'oh he's a JJC', but a naija man trying that, well I hope he has life insurance, but wait a minute, how many naija's have life insurance? grin I never heard any of my working class friends mention it,
Ol boi, you go jones, if u try am for bridge, or ikorodu road.
Here, bikes have right of way. ALWAYS. Even if you are driving the latest brand of SUV. But I can remember cars driving on the pavement to escape traffic. Pavements made for pedestrians. Imagine if they divided the road, and gave part of it to cyclists. How many naija drivers would keep to their own lanes? Before I got liver to ride my bike on the roads here, mehnnnn, grin
Maybe it will change one day in naija, sha, but to change the mentality of a nation is work,
And most naija peeps want to live to see another day grin
Peace,
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 11:55am On May 14, 2009
i know of someone who goes to work with her bike from croydon to central london.
she does it mainly to keep fit rather than all this green BS.

she cycles to the train station in croydon. gets the train to London Bridge Underground Station then off to her place of work.

i think it is do-able in Nigeria but you'd have to sell the idea.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 12:17pm On May 14, 2009
@omo-ibo:

My brother even here, some carry their bikes on the train, you know those foldable ones. When they get to their destination, they simply bike the rest of the distance, well I guess we need the infrastructure for it back home,
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 12:41pm On May 14, 2009
The infrastructure did not come before the bikes here. Oil Scarcity, Environment pollution, cost of living --- all reasons why, in my opinion, Nigerians ought to have alternatives to help them save money and time on a daily basis. Biking ought to be one on the list, I mean if we are comfortable with the walk. I know that if pushed, one can walk 4 miles ( about 8 Km/hr. But if you could bike the same distance in about 30 minutes, would you not give it a shot?
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by tymoti(m): 1:25pm On May 14, 2009
there are three million bicycles in be Beijing, after studying the success in china madueke suggested it in Nigeria. Lets support the green evolution. Since are transport system is in a great mess and roads are congested, wont it be great if we safe the little cash we have left and manage bicycles for now? shocked

"More nigerian would become poor in 2009" says world bank. very soon we wont have a choice.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by tpiah: 2:45pm On May 14, 2009
spikedcylinder:

I hope you are not including danfo drivers in your stats.

I just checked the photos I saw, and found out the biking was during sanitation hours, with low traffic.

Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by fayahsoul: 3:20pm On May 14, 2009
tymoti:

"More nigerian would become poor in 2009" says world bank. very soon we wont have a choice.

Who ever said that, is a basket case. Definitely an agent of the propaganda machines of western governments.

Truth goes more like this: That land mass bounded by the territorial borders of the corporate entity called nigeria is not lacking in rich fertile arable lands. It lacks not cultural, natural, human, intellectual, spiritual, historical or material resources.

The only thing it lacks is sovereignty.

Sadly, the presence (or absence) of this one virtue in a given society determines whether human development  (or human underdevelopment) will be eventually entertained by the society in question.

There's always a choice
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 3:23pm On May 14, 2009
This is one of the reasons why I am against legalization of Ganja!! What the crock does all that even mean? roflmao!!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 14, 2009
I can't ride a bicycle. So. . . . NO!
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 3:29pm On May 14, 2009
See? I said it, grin look at those pics, only expatriates in naija would try that, and they are protected, so if anything shud happen to them, yawa go gas, and it was during sanitation again so it would be a bit safe,
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by LeonardH(m): 4:40pm On May 14, 2009
Hi,

In Africa the car is a matter of prestige.

If you switch to bicycle, many people will think you are really life's looser embarassed

In developed countries it does't matter. The richest person in Germany was going to his office by bicycle for 20 years.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by nich(m): 8:15pm On May 14, 2009
how many pple in here dont mind buying a bicycle by the end of this year? say, we give ourselves 6months to do repairs on the roads, national orientation for our peeps, get adequate and safe parking spaces for the bikes, adequate first-aid support (incase of a minor accident), and the works generally just to ensure the vehicular traffic is reduced and a greener environment promoted?

cheesy
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by spoilt(f): 12:06am On May 15, 2009
Dont know how to ride a bicycle but i would happily carpool.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 12:07am On May 15, 2009
I own a bike . . . .  only that I am not in Nigeria. I ride to the metra, and back each day.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by hackney(m): 8:58am On May 15, 2009
What? Give up a car for a bike in Nigeria angry angry

On those roads u need a hovercraft! smiley smiley cheesy
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Nobody: 9:42am On May 15, 2009
Giving up a car for a bike in nigeria would be one of the biggest risk one can take in nigeria given that there's:

1. No serious law protecting bikers and pedestrians.

2. No insurance covering them.

3. No specially designed roads where the can ply.

4. The roads are death traps.

However, it will be a big advantage for nigerians and the nigerian government if the government can work on the above as riding bikes will help:

1. De-congest the ever busy traffic.

2. Increase the longevity of the roads.

3. Decrease road accidents.

4. Decrease the effects of air and sound pollution.

5. Bring about good health-care to the rider inform of exercise.

6. Save money for the rider.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 2:27pm On May 15, 2009
nuzo:

Giving up a car for a bike in nigeria would be one of the biggest risk one can take in nigeria given that there's:

However, it will be a big advantage for nigerians and the nigerian government if the government can work on the above as riding bikes will help:

I think it is time we accept that the government is never really going to magically wake up one day and decide to develop things for the good of the people. No need for people to wait for the government to do anything anymore. It is time we accept and understand that fact. If people want to ride bikes, and leave their cars at home, they ought to raise awareness in their communities, among friends, and then build on that. Imagine if people in, say Isiu where to come together at the community center and discussed making it easy for those who own bikes to ride back and forth. I remember some of my school mates back then did ride bikes to schools and cars would give way to bike riders on the streets. I mean it was either that or get your heart pierced with some hunter’s arrow. Lol
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by tpiah: 3:20pm On May 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I think it is time we accept that the government is never really going to magically wake up one day and decide to develop things for the good of the people. No need for people to wait for the government to do anything anymore. It is time we accept and understand that fact. If people want to ride bikes, and leave their cars at home, they ought to raise awareness in their communities, among friends, and then build on that. Imagine if people in, say Isiu where to come together at the community center and discussed making it easy for those who own bikes to ride back and forth. I remember some of my school mates back then did ride bikes to schools and cars would give way to bike riders on the streets. I mean it was either that or get your heart pierced with some hunter’s arrow. Lol

which part of Nigeria did you live in where people routinely shot arrows at each other?
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by ElRazur: 4:44pm On May 15, 2009
tpiah:

which part of Nigeria did you live in where people routinely shot arrows at each other?

Please tell me you are joking! You seriously do not know what that means?
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by hoeyeadoe: 6:46pm On May 15, 2009
Me? wiv my fat bum? noo ooo, plus, I luv comfort so much.

That wud be a whole lot of exercise n I dont want to shed my very desirable fat.

Except of cos my bf is willing to be the rider and I cud be behind him judiciously in my own very customized paint bucket helmet. Then.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by fayahsoul: 9:36pm On May 15, 2009
Kobojunkie:

This is one of the reasons why I am against legalization of Ganja!! What the crock does all that even mean? roflmao!!

I don't expect a junkie to overstand.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by tpiah: 9:53pm On May 15, 2009
ElRazur:

Please tell me you are joking! You seriously do not know what that means?

no I dont.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 9:59pm On May 15, 2009
fayahsoul:

I don't expect a junkie to overstand.

Care to explain what all that means then? I mean if you really believe you actually made sense there with that word jumble.  grin

I mean I can do it too

Space rockets and pixy wings. All blue butterflies fly across the lillypad. Red sparrows cry in winter. Oh, how the wise are made foolish by the sun.
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Ekelebe: 10:45am On May 16, 2009
[center]Hey! Stop that blush, i have always dream to have the latest car in the whole world at 18 as my birthday present in September and here you are telling me to exchange a "CAR" for a "BICYCLE". Wait O! if you dash me the bicycle, i no go collect am, even though you force me to collect am, i go sell am. Wait a minute o! se you don ask me weda i fit ride am.[/center] tongue
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by precap2(m): 3:07am On May 18, 2009
Former minister of transport Ojo Maduekwe would have
convinced us of the wisdom of biking to work if he hadn't
broken his rib trying to prove that point.
Some important questions:
1. would you stand smelly bankers while waiting for your cash over the counter?
2. would you vote that FG aircondition the airwaves?
3. or would you rather vote for subsidizing deodorants?
4. would you vote for free hernia operation (in case the need arises)?
5. would the president ride also (leading by example)?
6. would he ride to welcome visiting German Chancellor?

Huge joke. . . hu?
Re: Would You Give Up Your Car For A Bicycle? by Kobojunkie: 2:40pm On May 18, 2009
Ekelebe:

[center]Hey! Stop that blush, i have always dream to have the latest car in the whole world at 18 as my birthday present in September and here you are telling me to exchange a "CAR" for a "BICYCLE". Wait O! if you dash me the bicycle, i no go collect am, even though you force me to collect am, i go sell am. Wait a minute o! se you don ask me weda i fit ride am.[/center] tongue

If you are ever in the USA, may I ask you visit the city of Chicago. Drive down to the lake and see people of higher status than you can ever boast of in your life time, riding bikes and having fun doing it. You will see teenagers and older folks riding their bikes and learning to ride as well. Most of them are all in full gear( helmets, elbow and knee pads etc) and not really considering what the next rider or passer by thinks. Now on your drive back to your home/hotel. Open your eyes to see the number of bikes riding past your car/taxi in the sweltering heat. And maybe, just maybe, you might finally be able to get over self long enough to understand that life is not about what OTHERS think but what about what is best for you and your situation. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Strange!!! Chibok Girls Kidnapped “over Three Months” Ago – President Tells UN. / Halliburton: Pdp Writes Us State Dept (Ole St. John Aisha Buhari / *when APC Tells You Saraki Must Resign As Senate President, Show Them This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.