Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,754 members, 7,817,085 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:10 AM

After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion (13182 Views)

Abaya, The Only Person Dino Melaye Follows On Instagram (photos) / IGP Bans BBOG Protests In Abuja And Its Environs, Deploys Anti-Riot Police (Pics / Military Kills 114 Militants In Ogun And Lagos Creeks - Today.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Abagworo(m): 8:49am On Nov 16, 2015
gwales:
you are only being mischievous by claiming that nnewi and onitcha are cities while zaria is not. Did you know that one of the most criteria for distinguishing settlements is by population and function. By population I doubt if nnewi have more people leaving in it, while when it comes to function zaria can easily qualified as an educational city and defense city

Zaria is bigger than Onitsha though but Kaduna is not as urbanised as Anambra. Nnewi is not a city but a semi-urban sprawl that has a self sustaining chain of private industries.

1 Like

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by gwales: 8:58am On Nov 16, 2015
Abagworo:

Zaria is bigger than Onitsha though but Kaduna is not as urbanised as Anambra. Nnewi is not a city but a semi-urban sprawl that has a self sustaining chain of private industries.
in my mention I didn't talk of kaduna, I am more concern of how he belittle Zaria even listing places such as warri and asaba as cities while Zaria is not

1 Like

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by SpaceTour: 9:01am On Nov 16, 2015
Fool old ugly pig, why are you always bothered about issues that concerns Anambra? Why not focus more on your worthless imo state for once. Nnewi is a city and even far more economically viable than your own state.

[s]
Abagworo:

[/s]

1 Like

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by SpaceTour: 9:03am On Nov 16, 2015
Clown go and talk about your hopeless and bankrupt imo. Leave Anambra and its people alone, we have nothing in common with you and your people. Anambra has 3 major cities and many many developed towns, now go and kill yourself.

[s]
Abagworo:
The OP is not from Imo State otherwise he wouldn't have listed Akokwa as Anambra. He is right in one aspect which is urbanization. Right from time Anambra has been the 2nd most urbanised State after Lagos. It is not disputable. Anambra has towns upon towns which are semi-urban almost in its entire length and breadth.

However development has more meaning than population density. Even at that Anambra is still one of the most developed States though not the 3rd.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Herald47: 9:19am On Nov 16, 2015
nzeobi:

No I mean state roads and even some federal roads except onitsha enugu express way. Go round the state and see for your self
alright
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by cremedelacreme: 9:20am On Nov 16, 2015
BMedia:
Kaduna is bigger, more developed and more cosmopolitan than Anambra and any of the communities you mentioned. I served in Onitsha so I know what I'm saying.

Let's not even bring up Kano.

You need to travel bro.

Bro, I acknowledged that Kaduna metro is bigger and maybe more developed than Onitsha, but what I find amusing is saying that Zaria is more developed than all Anambra cities. You sef check am nah tongue
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Herald47: 9:35am On Nov 16, 2015
gwales:
you are only being mischievous by claiming that nnewi and onitcha are cities while zaria is not. Did you know that one of the most criteria for distinguishing settlements is by population and function. By population I doubt if nnewi have more people leaving in it, while when it comes to function zaria can easily qualified as an educational city and defense city
the economy of nnewi is by far greater than that of zaria 'fact',nnewi may not be an education city but it's undisputably a business and technology city.
NB:nnewi is an independent city due to it's huge number of billionaires like ifeanyi uba,cletus ibeto,coscharis,chicason e.t.c but zaria is not because it solemnly depends on fg to finance its institutions.

6 Likes

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Kingsley1000(m): 9:43am On Nov 16, 2015
Anambra would have been the best.alas,we're very unfortunate in terms of governance

1 Like

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Herald47: 10:13am On Nov 16, 2015
Abagworo:

zaria is bigger than onitsha in terms of landmass,but onitsha surpased it in terms of development and population.

3 Likes

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Saurab: 3:29pm On Nov 16, 2015
Real2020:

I grew up in Zaria...so you know. Zaria maybe populated but no where as developed or viable as any of the 3 big cities in Anambra. Zaria cannot assume capital status as Kaduna city but Onitsha and Nnewi can assume that status in 24 hrs.

I don't understand what you mean by not developed and viable. A city that is populated and have people from very part of Nigeria doing business and working is not viable? A city that is bigger and more populated than 2/3 of all the state capital in Nigeria including all the cities and state capitals in the SE is not viable? What are you talking about? Yes, Kaduna is not Zaria's mate in every sense but ZARIA can be a state capital of any state in the SE in less than 1 hour.

1 Like

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Saurab: 3:31pm On Nov 16, 2015
Herald47:
zaria is bigger than onitsha in terms of landmass,but onitsha surpased it in terms of development and population.

Zaria has times 2 of onitsha population.

Rank City State Population
1 Lagos Lagos State 13,400,000[2]
2 Kano Kano State 3,626,068
3 Abuja FCT 3,000,000
4 Ibadan Oyo State 2,550,593
5 Kaduna Kaduna State 1,652,844
6 Port Harcourt Rivers State 1,320,214
7 Aba Abia State 1,300,000
8 Ogbomosho Oyo State 1,200,000
9 Maiduguri Borno State 1,197,497
10 Benin City Edo State 1,147,188
11 Zaria Kaduna State 1,018,827
12 Jos Plateau State 900,000
13 Ilorin Kwara State 847,582
14 Enugu Enugu State 722,664
15 Oyo Oyo State 620,400
16 Abeokuta Ogun State 529,700
17 Onitsha Anambra State 509,500
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by basilo101: 4:35pm On Nov 16, 2015
Saurab:

3 Abuja FCT 3,000,000
15 Oyo Oyo State 620,400
Onitsha ppl managed to get a little piece of land across the niger, the development of Onitsha has since exploded into neighboring Local govts, for example Nkpor, nkwelle Ezunaka, Obosi, Ogidi, Odekpe, Oba etc are all parts of mordern day Onitsha despite not being in Onitsha Nort/south LGA which ur data is based on. Each of these towns have more population than the main onitsha which is just a tiny piece of land

2 Likes

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:40pm On Nov 16, 2015
banki:

You guys just wake up and make funny assumptions

Biko gini na gini nokwa na nn
ewi?
There is a military base in zaria
There is an airforce base in zaria
There is a flying school in zaria
There is atexitle mill in zaria
There is one of nigeria biggest universities which is a town on its own, only comparable to Nnsuka and ibadan?

Please let's be honest in our assertions
Nnewi has a federal teaching hospital
The only indigenous car manufacturing plant in Nigeria
A college of medicine and health sciences, branch of Unizik
The third world's largest motorcycle parts mkt
Nigeria's center for indigenous car parts production.
Numerous industries
One of the densest bank concentrations in Nigeria.

Na only military base fit develop a place?

9 Likes

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:47pm On Nov 16, 2015
Herald47:
the economy of nnewi is by far greater than that of zaria 'fact',nnewi may not be an education city but it's undisputably a business and technology city.
NB:nnewi is an independent city due to it's huge number of billionaires like ifeanyi uba,cletus ibeto,coscharis,chicason e.t.c but zaria is not because it solemnly depends on fg to finance its institutions.
It even has a bit of education. It houses part of Unizik for medical training

2 Likes

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by malton: 5:26pm On Nov 16, 2015
cool. I like the maturity being displayed on this thread. Anambra is like home to me, and I schooled in Zaria... I must say that I'm impressed by you guys, your opinions aren't far off the mark.

4 Likes

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
BMedia:
Kaduna is bigger, more developed and more cosmopolitan than Anambra and any of the communities you mentioned. I served in Onitsha so I know what I'm saying.

Let's not even bring up Kano.

You need to travel bro.

I'm currently serving in Kafanchan and i have been to Zaria. Apart from the railway station in Kaf, Kaf is no better than Ekwulobia in Anambra state. Remove the so many schools and institutions in Zaria, and you get a town not better than Nnewi. Kaduna and Onitsha stands neck and neck in terms of development. Someone mentioned Zonkwa and Kachia and Kagoro. That's a laugh! None of this place is better than Nnobi or Agulu in Anambra. kaduna cannot boast of a brand new city like Awka. The only thing they get is large expanse of land, which is virtually empty.

10 Likes

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by gwales: 7:20pm On Nov 16, 2015
Herald47:
guy I think you need to learn how settlement are classified because like I said earlier settlement are distinguish more importantly by the population living at a particular place at the right time. Settlement cam be isolated dwelling, Hamlet, small village, large village, small town, large town, city, megalopolis and finally cornubation. So place like Zaria with its huge population more than a million people easily qualified as a city.
You make mention technology and business not knowing that all settlement have different functions. Like I said earlier, a settlement can function as religious (Makkah, Jerusalem) educational (Zaria, oxford) , administrative (Zaria, abuja) industrial (lagos) tourism (Rome, paris). If all these places can function well what makes you think that all this criteria is not an Avenue of business?
You also make mention of billionaires in nnewi, hmmmmm. When did having billionaires become a criteria?
You can make your points why anambra should be third on the list but claiming that onitcha and nnewi are cities while Zaria is not is laughable. You can notice through out my posts that I never claim to knowing anambra for the single reason that I have little or no knowledge of the place but I won't accept your assertion about Zaria. Zaria qualify to be a city with it's population and functions (educational & administrative).
Thanks.
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by basilo101: 9:12pm On Nov 16, 2015
gwales:
guy I think you need to learn how settlement are classified because like I said earlier settlement are distinguish more importantly by the population living at a particular place at the right time. Settlement cam be isolated dwelling, Hamlet, small village, large village, small town, large town, city, megalopolis and finally cornubation. So place like Zaria with its huge population more than a million people easily qualified as a city.
You make mention technology and business not knowing that all settlement have different functions. Like I said earlier, a settlement can function as religious (Makkah, Jerusalem) educational (Zaria, oxford) , administrative (Zaria, abuja) industrial (lagos) tourism (Rome, paris). If all these places can function well what makes you think that all this criteria is not an Avenue of business?
You also make mention of billionaires in nnewi, hmmmmm. When did having billionaires become a criteria?
You can make your points why anambra should be third on the list but claiming that onitcha and nnewi are cities while Zaria is not is laughable. You can notice through out my posts that I never claim to knowing anambra for the single reason that I have little or no knowledge of the place but I won't accept your assertion about Zaria. Zaria qualify to be a city with it's population and functions (educational & administrative).
Thanks.
Igbos live in autonomous communities and had no cetralized city like most other nigerians. The modern Igbo cities is a product of rapid urbanization of individual autonomouus comunities to form a sprawl or cornubation, i gave an example of Onitsha, Same applies to awka, goverment house awka is situated at Amawbia which is a separted town but part of greater Awka, NTA Awka is situated at Enugu-Agidi which is an entirely separted town but part of the awka urban sprawl. most of the industries Nnewi is known for are situated in Ozubulu, another different town but part of greater Nnewi, plus other towns like Itchi, Oraifite etc which have no definit boundary with Nnewi town. during census, these towns are captured as independent towns so dont use the census figure to judge

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Abagworo(m): 9:24pm On Nov 16, 2015
Saurab:

3 Abuja FCT 3,000,000
15 Oyo Oyo State 620,400

I thought you wrote earlier that it was bigger than all cities in Southeast but your post shows Aba is bigger. The truth is that Onitsha is even more populated than Aba if not for typical Igbo politics. Aba comprises of 5 LGAs just like Onitsha but the difference is that outskirts of Onitsha claim not to be part of the city. Add Obosi, Nkpor, Nkwelle Ezunaka and Ogbaru to get the real population of Onitsha urban area which is close to 1.6 million.

1 Like

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Abagworo(m): 9:28pm On Nov 16, 2015
Johnpaul88:
I'm currently serving in Kafanchan and i have been to Zaria. Apart from the railway station in Kaf, Kaf is no better than Ekwulobia in Anambra state. Remove the so many schools and institutions in Zaria, and you get a town not better than Nnewi. Kaduna and Onitsha stands neck and neck in terms of development. Someone mentioned Zonkwa and Kachia and Kagoro. That's a laugh! None of this place is better than Nnobi or Agulu in Anambra. kaduna cannot boast of a brand new city like Awka. The only thing they get is large expanse of land, which is virtually empty.

Please don't compare Kaduna with Onitsha. Kaduna is more developed. Anambra as a State is far more developed than Kaduna but Anambra has no city as developed as and cosmopolitan Kaduna city. The Southeast in fact has no such city.

1 Like

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by basilo101: 9:29pm On Nov 16, 2015
Abagworo:

I thought you wrote earlier that it was bigger than all cities in Southeast but your post shows Aba is bigger. The truth is that Onitsha is even more populated than Aba if not for typical Igbo politics. Aba comprises of 5 LGAs just like Onitsha but the difference is that outskirts of Onitsha claim not to be part of the city. Add Obosi, Nkpor, Nkwelle Ezunaka and Ogbaru to get the real population of Onitsha urban area which is close to 1.6 million.
Ya. Onitsha and its environs is the most populous part of SE just that the sorrounding merger towns try to retain their identity even though visitors see everwhere simply as Onitsha. Aba is the largest in the east in terms of land mass as it has enough space to expand without merging with neighbouring towns like Onitsha
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Herald47: 9:31pm On Nov 16, 2015
Saurab:

3 Abuja FCT 3,000,000
15 Oyo Oyo State 620,400
you used 2002 ranking for onitsha and 2014 ranking for zaria,why?

4 Likes

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Abagworo(m): 9:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
Herald47:
you used 2002 ranking for onitsha and 2014 ranking for zaria,why?

The figure is based only on Onitsha North and South whuch has no much room for expansion. Much of the recent population growth in Onitsha urban area is in Idemili North and South.

2 Likes

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Herald47: 9:38pm On Nov 16, 2015
gwales:
Thanks.
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Herald47: 9:41pm On Nov 16, 2015
gwales:
Thanks.
your earlier post stated that zaria is an education and security hub,i have to back nnewi up with its status as a businness and technological hub.
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Herald47: 9:49pm On Nov 16, 2015
Abagworo:

The figure is based only on Onitsha North and South whuch has no much room for expansion. Much of the recent population growth in Onitsha urban area is in Idemili North and South.
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by Herald47: 9:59pm On Nov 16, 2015
Abagworo:

even at that onitsha north and south l.g.a is more than that number,main market population alone exceeds 200,000 people talkless of when combined with that of ochanga market and so many other markets in the city,plus those densely populated hoods in upper iweka,awada,nkpor e.t.c,how can the population of onitsha be around 500k in 2002 and still the same in 2015,it's not possible.
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by basilo101: 10:17pm On Nov 16, 2015
Herald47:
even at that onitsha north and south l.g.a is more than that number,main market population alone exceeds 200,000 people talkless of when combined with that of ochanga market and so many other markets in the city,plus those densely populated hoods in upper iweka,awada,nkpor e.t.c,how can the population of onitsha be around 500k in 2002 and still the same in 2015,it's not possible.
Nkpor and Awada (Obosi) are not part of Onitsha NOrth/south LGA. they are idemili LGA and not part of that census figure, thats what the poster of figure does not know
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by SpaceTour: 6:30am On Nov 17, 2015
This hopeless fool stop dabbling on issues that concerns Anambra. It is only paining you because the OP has said the truth. Stop being silly. Anambra has 3 major cities that beats anything in kaduna. Anambra is equally more cosmopolitan than Kaduna. Deal with it.

[s]
Abagworo:

Please don't compare Kaduna with Onitsha. Kaduna is more developed. Anambra as a State is far more developed than Kaduna but Anambra has no city as developed as and cosmopolitan Kaduna city. The Southeast in fact has no such city.
[/s]

1 Like

Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by SpaceTour: 6:32am On Nov 17, 2015
That is the point.

Johnpaul88:
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by inlandtaipan: 6:42am On Nov 17, 2015
Onitsha, awka and nnewi are not that developed, they are just urbanized, do you know what development is?

After abuj and Lagos, its rivers.
Re: After Abuja And Lagos,anambra Follows-opinion by SpaceTour: 6:48am On Nov 17, 2015
What is development? Anambra has the best road networks traversing all parts of the state. In Anambra development Is well spread across board and not just in the major cities. Anambra has 3 major cities that are developing simultaneously unlike most part of Nigeria.

inlandtaipan:
Onitsha, awka and nnewi are not that developed, they are just urbanized, do you know what development is?

After abuj and Lagos, its rivers.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha Denies Joining PDP, Says I’m Still In APC / Emefiele Tried To Sabotage 2023 Election With Naira Redesign Policy – Akpabio / Lagos Launches Office Of Overseas Affairs And Investment (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.