Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,960 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria (31253 Views)

Pictorial Step By Step Guide On Constructing A Biogas Plant / I Think Payonner Is The Way Forward For Us / Pictorial Step By Step Guide On Constructiong A Biogas Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Afoskalex(m): 10:14pm On Dec 15, 2015
Op, how do one construct the burner for biogas? I hope you will teach us that aspect and the modification of generator and refrigerator to use biogas.
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 10:20pm On Dec 15, 2015
Burners like this ones are sold in the market
Afoskalex:
Op, how do one construct the burner for biogas? I hope you will teach us that aspect and the modification of generator and refrigerator to use biogas.

Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by confluence: 6:53pm On Dec 16, 2015
hello Dexpro, how far? am enjoying this class , just wandering how sustainable this our project will be when finally completed, can one totally switch to biogas?
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Nobody: 7:58pm On Dec 16, 2015
Dexpro:
Burners like this ones are sold in the market
how much is it sold and where can I order it
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 9:14pm On Dec 16, 2015
I have been using biogas for the past four years and have successfully bottled it for sale. cool smiley
confluence:
hello Dexpro, how far? am enjoying this class , just wandering how sustainable this our project will be when finally completed, can one totally switch to biogas?
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 9:21pm On Dec 16, 2015
Visit your local market and ask for biogas stove. Note that price varies.
intbizoil:
how much is it sold and where can I order it
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by confluence: 9:21pm On Dec 16, 2015
thanks Boss waiting to learn from the master himself [quote author=Dexpro post=41069633]I have been using biogas for the past four years and have successfully bottled it for sale. cool smiley[/quote
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by confluence: 9:23pm On Dec 16, 2015
Thanks Boss waiting to learn from you sir.
Dexpro:
I have been using biogas for the past four years and have successfully bottled it for sale. cool smiley
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 9:25pm On Dec 16, 2015
Guys feel free to ask as many questions as regards BIOGAS. I will gladly reply
Email: biogasindex@gmail.com
confluence:
thanks Boss waiting to learn from the master himself
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 9:32pm On Dec 16, 2015
DAY TEN

Biogas Stove

To use the biogas for cooking, you need a stove specially made for biogas. I got a new twin-burner biogas stove from the market after an exhaustive search. Normally, LPG is used at home, so there is no demand for biogas stoves and shops do not stock them.

If you look at the picture of the biogas burner, you can see that the holes are larger than that used in LPG stoves. The nozzle of the burner also has a larger orifice. The biogas stove is designed in such a way that methane is mixed with double the quantity of air before being burned.

The specifications on the sticker says the pressure required is 747 N/m2, that is 747 Newtons per Square meter, converted to 7.62 gf/cm2 (gram-force per square centimeter). Each burner consumes about 450 liters of gas per hour *if fully opened. That means with a 500 liter gas holder tank filled with gas, I can use it for about an hour in one burner.

N.B My biogas stove has three switch level, LOW, MID & HIGH. You can only set your stove to HIGH only if you have a social event. A 500L full gas plant will provide energy for a household of 4 for two days nonstop shocked shocked, though you can't put on your stove for two days without putting it off cool or can you?
grin

Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 9:46pm On Dec 16, 2015
More pictures of my stove

Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Afoskalex(m): 9:51pm On Dec 16, 2015
Dexpro, is the biogas stove readily available in Nigeria or do u order for them. Can it be locally fabricated. The other question I asked the other time as not been answered on the modification of refrigerator and generator for biogas. Thanks Sire
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Afoskalex(m): 9:52pm On Dec 16, 2015
Where can one get it?
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 9:54pm On Dec 16, 2015
Attach Gas Pipe to Stove

In an earlier step, we prepared three sets of gas pipes to be used with the biogas plant. The first set of pipe is being fixed with the outlet from the gas holder tank. The second set will be used to link the gas line from the gas holder to gas pipe fixed with the stove. Here we use the third set of gas pipe to be fixed with the stove.

Attach the free end of gas pipe to the stove. I have also used a layer of insulation tape to seal the joint from any leakage.

The other end with the crimped attachment will connect to the gas link pipe.

Now our biogas stove is ready for testing.

Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 9:58pm On Dec 16, 2015
I know nothing about refrigerator modification using biogas, But biogas generators are readily available in Nigeria without any need for modification.
Afoskalex:
Dexpro, is the biogas stove readily available in Nigeria or do u order for them. Can it be locally fabricated. The other question I asked the other time as not been answered on the modification of refrigerator and generator for biogas. Thanks Sire
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by confluence: 10:10pm On Dec 16, 2015
@DEXPRO WELL DONE MASTER
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 10:15pm On Dec 16, 2015
Its a pleasure man
confluence:
@DEXPRO WELL DONE MASTER
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 10:17pm On Dec 16, 2015
You can get your biogas stove locally
Afoskalex:
Where can one get it?
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 16, 2015
Dexpro:
You can get your biogas stove locally
bro, i like wat u doing here, is it possible to liquefy biogas? n if so can it be used with normal kerosene stoves or it will av its own kind of stove.
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 10:36pm On Dec 16, 2015
Liquefaction is extremely expensive. But yes, biogas can be liquefied. Other questions has been answered in my previous posts.
prettyboi1989:

bro, i like wat u doing here, is it possible to liquefy biogas? n if so can it be used with normal kerosene stoves or it will av its own kind of stove.
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Carmal90(m): 1:03am On Dec 17, 2015
Keenly following, all my question will come after the trainings
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Afoskalex(m): 5:01pm On Dec 17, 2015
Dexpro, please I will want you to elaborate more on the discharge of slurry and other waste products from the digester.Thank you
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 5:19pm On Dec 17, 2015
Training Ends today.
Carmal90:
Keenly following, all my question will come after the trainings
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 5:27pm On Dec 17, 2015
We'll treat your question soon Sir
Afoskalex:
Dexpro, please I will want you to elaborate more on the discharge of slurry and other waste products from the digester.Thank you
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 5:55pm On Dec 17, 2015
DAY ELEVEN

Add Ballast on Top of Gas Holder Tank

Before testing the biogas in the stove, you need to check that the collected gas in the tank has enough pressure to flow through the gas pipe to the stove.

Methane is lighter than air. When you connect the gas pipe line and open the gas outlet valve, there are chances of negative pressure at the pipe end which may suck in the out side air into the tank. This is known as Flow back. This can be avoided by placing ballast on top of the gas holder tank.

Here I have added an old car tyre with a semi-inflated tube inside on top of the gas holder tank. The semi-inflated tube will prevent any rain water getting collected in the tyre and becoming a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

After placing the ballast, open the valve and check the gas flow. You can hear a hissing noise when the gas is flowing out. you can also feel the gas flow by placing your fingers in front of the valve opening.

Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 6:11pm On Dec 17, 2015
Test the Biogas

The gas initially produced may contain lots of impurities and [size=15pt]WILL NOT[/size] burn. I have emptied the gas holder tank three times before testing the gas. **(You don't necessarily need to empty yours thrice BUT YOU MUST EMPTY IT ONCE! )

Connect the gas inlet pipe and open the knob Slightly. Now you can hear the hissing noise of gas escaping through the burner. Hold a lighted match stick over the burner and voila, you have a flame...!!!

The gas still has lots of impurities, but it started burning. You can see the blue flame of methane burning here.

*Words or sentence in bold are for emphasis, Please note them.

Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Afoskalex(m): 6:12pm On Dec 17, 2015
Dexpro:
We'll treat your question soon Sir

OK Sire
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 6:30pm On Dec 17, 2015
The Digested Slurry

Initially, I have added diluted cow dung slurry which covered slightly more than half of the digester tank. Periodical addition of about 3 to 4 kilograms kitchen waste and weeds from the garden everyday, gradually increased the slurry level inside the digester tank. Once your digester is full, you will find the digested slurry oozing out of the outlet pipe, whenever you feed the plant.

Place a bucket beneath the outlet and collect the slurry. This slurry does not have any odor and will not attract any flies. it is also an excellent organic fertilizer.

Dilute the slurry with water and feed your garden plants with the diluted slurry.

1 Like

Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by rev2214(m): 7:18pm On Dec 17, 2015
Hello,
Just read some detail about biogas. My question is 1. What is the difference BTW Biogas and carbon nano tubes and what are the side effect?

I have space on my property for this but I want to consider children. Pls advice
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by abdulwasee(m): 8:02pm On Dec 17, 2015
Dexpro:
With due respect to the moderator of this section, i hope this is the right section to post this very useful material. Over the past three years, research has been ongoing on how to harness the power of BIOGAS. The past few weeks have been difficult for some people because of the ARTIFICIAL fuel scarcity being encountered in our dear country. Aside from the fact that PMS is scarce, kerosene is way on the high side too.

In view of this, i have decided to take any person who might be interested in generating his/her (Cooking/Electricity) energy @ home by the hand on how to construct a 500L BIOGAS TANK for domestic consumption ONLY.

This lesson is made possible by my teacher in BIOGAS TECHNOLOGY, MR J. Antoni Raj. (Rtd) Civil Engineer, Uthamapalayam and Dr. S Ajmal Khan, M.sc, P.hd, Professor- Emeritus, Centre of Advanced Study in Marine Biology, Annamalal University, Paranglpettai, India.

All lectures will be supported with pictures. I need 10 nairalanders to indicate interest before i proceed. PLS DON'T DROP YOUR EMAILS.
Good Evening Sir! I don catch a seat, following with keen interest. God Bless our Instructor!
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by confluence: 8:04pm On Dec 17, 2015
@DEXPRO, am sending two cups of beans via nairaland to you for cooking , that is my dinner tonight once done let me know , kudos to you
Dexpro:
Test the Biogas

The gas initially produced may contain lots of impurities and [size=15pt]WILL NOT[/size] burn. I have emptied the gas holder tank three times before testing the gas. **(You don't necessarily need to empty yours thrice BUT YOU MUST EMPTY IT ONCE! )

Connect the gas inlet pipe and open the knob Slightly. Now you can hear the hissing noise of gas escaping through the burner. Hold a lighted match stick over the burner and voila, you have a flame...!!!

The gas still has lots of impurities, but it started burning. You can see the blue flame of methane burning here.

*Words or sentence in bold are for emphasis, Please note them.
Re: Biogas Plant Using Kitchen And Food Waste - A way forward for Nigeria by Dexpro: 8:08pm On Dec 17, 2015
rev2214:
Hello,
Just read some detail about biogas. My question is 1. What is the difference BTW Biogas and carbon nano tubes and what are the side effect?

I have space on my property for this but I want to consider children. Pls advice

Carbon nanotubes (CNTs) are allotropes of carbon with a cylindrical nanostructure. These cylindrical carbon molecules have unusual properties, which are valuable for nanotechnology, electronics, optics and other fields of materials science and technology.

Meanwhile

Biogas typically refers to a mixture of different gases produced by the breakdown of organic matter in the absence of oxygen.

So how does CNTs relate with Biogas? CNTs is nowhere near Biogas.

Biogas has NO side effects. You can construct one bearing in mind to put all things away from the reach of children.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Femi Otedola And Akinwumi Adesina Visit Dangote Petrochemical Plant / Woman Returns €3,000 Left In Her Restaurant In Lagos / Ten Brands That Have Become Household Names In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.