Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,895 members, 7,810,439 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) (54968 Views)

Sleep Paralysis (A Really Short Horror Story) / Horror In Two Sentences.. / Christmas Night(horror) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by bolaji3071(m): 8:46pm On Dec 29, 2015
More ink to your pen op.. Nice one
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by chillian(f): 9:39pm On Dec 29, 2015
Actually i don't have anything to say.but wait o.am i second to comment.*whips sweat*i'm getting their.God abeg 2016 will not pass me by
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by eROCK247(m): 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2015
Barney11:
Goodheart I hope U didn't post this short update to keep peoples hopes high?what is taking ur time and u can see u have enof readers so what else or ur short of ur story?
the OP is actually slow. E wan kill my morale so.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by ozeepresh(f): 12:30am On Dec 30, 2015
*sweating* did I say I love horror movies? mehn I don't....cos am actually scared reading this by this time. op respect!!
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 2:14am On Dec 30, 2015
Update coming up today. Had a very bad network. My apologies.

1 Like

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by sparkleRed(f): 8:26am On Dec 30, 2015
goodheart02:
Update coming up today. Had a very bad network. My apologies.

Dnt u think u should finish a story first be4 writing another one?
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by desmondDessi(m): 9:45am On Dec 30, 2015
grin
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 30, 2015
Always been a fan of your literature stories Obim kiss well deserved smiley
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 6:28pm On Dec 30, 2015
Chapter 4 - An urgent Message
------------------------------

Marie arrived the pawn shop and was surprised to see a long queue in wait. Probably they were all peeps like her who were in real need of money for the Christmas, so she had to stand in line and wait her turn. The queue finally got to her turn and as she brought out her wares for weighing, that was when she noticed the handsome lad standing behind the barricaded receiving counter. He was quite young to be a pawn broker and Marie was sure the lad was in his mid twenties and looked quite rugged with a hard cheekbone which accentuated the contours of his face. He was definitely of Spanish decent, she could guess from his facial looks and accent. He raised his head to look at her and oh!....those cute blue eyes of his pierced into her soul. He seemed to notice his effect on Marie and smiled broadly revealing his set of pure white dentition and Marie could feel her palms sweat in the winter as she also admired his broad and hairy chest which had been exposed by his open cotton shirt. Dãmn it! He was hot.

"Can I have your wares ma'am?" he said extended his hand through the pigeon hole and Marie gave him the leather bag. "Thank you", he said with a sense of professionalism before turning to weigh the items. The chime of the weigh startled Marie (who was lost in fantasy land) back to reality and the lad withdrew some few dollars from an adjoining counter and handed it over to her. She extended her hand almost immediately and more by accident, the lad's hand brushed hers and she jerked, feeling a shiver down her spine. Though she couldn't really explain how she felt, it was a good feeling as she noticed herself smiling at the lad.

"The name is Lance" he said.

"Oh, Lance. I'm Marie" she replied pocketing the money. "Take care" and she turned and left the pawn shop. If there was one thing she was sure of, it was the fact that Lance had just flirted with her and she had loved every bit of it without feeling any guilt in respect to her husband.

*** 2 Week Later (December 20) ***

It was past 12 midnight when the muffled chiming began. It kept going on and on and on till little Emily heard it and got out of bed. It sounded like a toy carousel and she had always longed for one, but couldn't have it because her mum was too broke to get one for her. Probably Santa was here to grant her wish with her most cherished toy. Putting on her slippers, she stepped out of her room.

The whole house was silent and dark except for the carousel which kept chiming and the little flame of the candle, at the end of the corridor, which kept dancing in the mild wind. Suddenly she saw a shadow, which was cast by the candle flame, run down the stairs and accompanied by eerie giggles and thumping footsteps. The childish giggles kept echoing down the stairway as she inquisitively followed behind. For a moment she felt a chilly sensation run down her spine as her heart raced in fear. But the sweet music of the carousel kept drawing her closer, and she picked up the candle and found her way downstairs.

She was now at the sitting room and she could hear the footsteps and the giggles heading farther towards the basement and the chiming carousel seemed to be coming from there as well. Holding the candle forward, she headed towards the sound that had woken her that night.

The basement panel was already open when she got there, and the chiming music had suddenly stopped. But the eerie sounds kept coming from inside. Emily climbed down the basement stairs quietly and carefully, as she knocked off cobwebs shrouding the stairway. On stepping on the dusty floor, she began to sneeze as dust filled the stuffy air. The basement reeked of age and a spooky feeling indescribable by man. And for an unknown reason, Emily's childish mind sensed she was not the only none there. So she raised her candle above her head as her eyes hovered around the over crowded space and she saw the tiny carousel, looking all dusty and lying on a paper box. In that moment, glee filled her eyes and she walked towards the box to pick up the toy when she noticed someone sitting by the dark corner of the basement wall. Her heart skipped beats instantly.

The figure looked like a little girl, barely older than Emily with dark hair like hers and she wore a white nightie. She sat with her back to the wall, her legs drawn up to her chest, and hands cuddled up as her head rested on her knees. She was motionless and strange looking.

"Hello....who are you?" Emily asked in a shaky voice. The figure didn't reply nor move as Emily dropped the carousel in her hands.

"My name is Emily. What's your name??...."

Emily was now drawing closer, her hands shaky and trembling as she came to stand few inches away from the sitting figure to notice her muddy feet, her wet hair and dripping-wet gown. In concern for her state Emily forgot all her fears and squatted before the figure, casting her candle light as the figure now rocked her head from side to side humming an old western mourning song.

"What happened to you?" Emily asked. "Do you live....."

Suddenly the figure swiftly raised her head, revealing her bloodied scarred face and popping white eyes, Emily gasped in shock. All she could hear was a howling whisper:

"Run Emily! Run! Run!"

In that brief moment of fright, Emily gave a loud shrill and passed out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 6:28pm On Dec 30, 2015
Adanna28:
Always been a fan of your literature stories Obim kiss well deserved smiley

Thanks a lot Nkem.....Love you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 6:30pm On Dec 30, 2015
Another update coming up.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Alfred200825(m): 7:04pm On Dec 30, 2015
jejely waiting
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Oxytocin(m): 7:11pm On Dec 30, 2015
Damn!... Scaringly Interesting! grin

Thumbs up bro wink

Waiting for the next update..
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nobody: 7:27pm On Dec 30, 2015
goodheart02:

Love you more Obim kiss
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by donkross1(m): 7:40pm On Dec 30, 2015
Adanna28:

Love you more Obim kiss

goodheart02:

Okay I didn't see nothing grin

1 Like

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by PrinceRhaeger: 8:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
Dude, your write - ups are just spot on. Nice work man, keep it up. Meanwhile, waiting for the next chapter.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 1:26am On Dec 31, 2015
Chapter 5 - A Second Warning
-------------------------------

The lantern stood on the bed shelve in the dimly lit room as the doctor paced up and down the floor. While Marie sat close to her daughter and Nate leaned by the doorway snorting. It had been over 6 hours Emily had been unconscious after being found in the basement. She lay still, her face pale like death and her fist clasped within each other like she was trying to hold on to something.

"She suffered a severe shock", the doctor said packing up his wares into his brief case. "But nevertheless, she'll be fine".

"I wonder what she was up to in the basement" Marie sobbed. "Please come back baby, mummy loves you"

As if to answer her prayers, Emily sneezed and called out ,"Mummy" and her mom leaned forward to cuddle her in bed.

"Thought you were gone" Marie said. "So tell me baby, what happened?"

That was when the previous events began to unfold in Emily's head, piece by piece as she tried to recollect all that had happened. The memory alone was so overwhelming to her, and she gasped in exasperation, passing out once more.

By the time she finally woke up it was already dusk and Marie was about leaving her room. She turned turned back the moment she noticed her daughter stir. And walked to sit by her side. Gradually Emily's eyes flickered open as it tried to adjust to the surroundings. She panicked the moment she thought she was alone and her mother held her hand firmly.

"Hey pumpkin I'm here", Marie said, looking into the frightful eyes of her daughter.

She was certain Emily had seen something down the basement. Her daughter wasn't a sleep walker, neither was she a truant at bed time. This was a full confirmation that a something was in the house. She had that feeling right from the very first moments their carriage broke the cobble stones in front of the mansion. She was still lost in thoughts when Winter (Emily's cat) mewed, climbing the bed in it's feline agility and blinking puckishly. She had to tell Nate about everything, she decided, hoping it won't result to a fight between them.

***The Next Day - December 21***

The skies were real grey that day and looked heavy with snow showing every possibility of an impending snow storm. It had snowed profusely the previous night and the streets were all covered in white ice as Marie hurried back home. She had gone to get some grocery down the next town from some of the money she had made from the pawning. Then her mind drifted to the hunky pawn shop guy she had met the other day. She wouldn't mind being in those strong arms of his to be cuddled and stroked. He was every inch the man Nate was not and will never be. Too bad she was much older than him, so there was no point daydreaming on what may not be possible, she thought shaking the thought of her head and smiling. She was still smiling when she felt a hand tap her from behind and she jumped, turning to see the pawn guy smiling down at her. She gasped in surprise and faint guilt.

"Hi Lance" she said

"Hello Marie" he winked offering her his hand which she shook hesitantly. "What are you doing walking under the snow?"

It took only Lance's question to let Marie know that she had been absent mindedly trekking under the snow without noticing it.

"Oh...it's begun to snow" she said.

"You mean you didn't notice?" Lance asked. "Are you sure you're okay?"

How could he be asking her that question when he was the one responsible for how she felt at the moment, she thought.

"Ofcourse I'm fine dear" she replied in her husky southern accent.

"From the south I guess?" Lance said

"Yes, Texas precisely"

"Oh cool. I'm from New Mexico" Lance replied.

"I already guessed that from your Spanish accent" Marie added. "I think I have to be on my way now, my husband would've been back with my daughter".

"So you have a daughter"

"Yeah...I do"

"I guess she'll be pretty as you are" Lance said. For a second, Marie was taken aback by the statement before she recovered to say "Thanks for the compliments". With that, Marie turned and began to walk away and Lance called her back.

"I think a snow storm it's on it's way" he informed her. "Why not follow me to my place, It's close by. And when the storm is over I'll harness a horse to a carriage for you.

"Nahh...thanks" Marie replied, "I'll find my way".

Beyond her expectation, a strong wind blew immediately, sending flakes of snow swirling in the air and she stopped abruptly in her tracks. There was definitely going to be a snow storm and she wouldn't be home before it came down. There was no other place to take shed and the only option she had at avoiding the storm was Lance's offer. So she turned to see Lance already walking down in the opposite direction and she called:

"Hey! Lance!", And he turned back."Can I still join you home?" she asked.

"Of course ma'am" he replied.

Strutting down to where she stood, Lance collected the grocery pack in her hands and led the way, "Shall we?" he said.

"Where do you stay Lance?" Marie asked as they hastened.

"The Next turn", Lance replied. "Not far from the church yard"

The mention of the words 'church yard' brought the goose bumps on Marie's skin immediately. How could one live by a church yard...A grave yard precisely, she thought. Though she wasn't comfortable with it, she tried to make Lance unaware of her paranoia as they walked ahead.

It was only in a matter of minutes and they arrived the church yard, passing by hedges of Hawthornes which creeped round the ancient grave stones as the eerie silence cast a strange demeanour. She could now see a little cottage not far from the end of the church yard and Lance broke the innate silence.

"That's my home", he said pointing to the cottage.

Within minutes, they were before the door step and Lance inserted the old key into the rusty lock and the fragile door creaked open for them to walk in.

The snow storm was now coming down in full strength and Lance ignited the fireplace before moving to get the steaming kettle on the fire. He made Marie a cup of hot coffee and poured himself a cup too as they sat silently sipping the black drink. Marie decided to break the silence.

"I guess you stay here alone?", she asked.

Lance only nodded as he continued sipping his coffee.

"And what about the church that owns the graveyard we just passed" she enquired. Lance cleared his throat

"The church of St. Nicholas was burnt down by the Satan worshippers 12 years ago." he growled. "They claimed that there was only one Nicholas and that was the devil himself who was nicknamed Old Nick in the years back"

Marie choked on her coffee spilling some on the floor, Lance turned to stare at her and she apologized, "Sorry", she said and Lance nodded. "You mean you have Satan worshippers in this place?" she asked in disbelief.

"Almost the whole town is into Satan worship" he revealed. "They are actually called Necrogues, and that's because they make use of the souls of the dead. Necromancy you can call it" he sipped his drink again.

Marie was petrified by her shocking discovery. She had always known something was not right within the small town.

"So how about you?" she asked Lance.

Lance laughed aloud almost puking his coffee. "For Christ sake Marie, I was the vicar's son before the church was burnt down. Actually I lost my dad, the vicar on that night" he whined. "Ever since then I've been alone in our little cottage which we had been managing before mum passed away"

Marie felt sudden pity for the young lad. He was only a poor orphan trying to make ends meet. No wonder he was worked at the pawn shop. She could now see the tears in his eyes and her heart melted with grief.

"C'mon Lance, don't cry", she said. "It's all my fault. I shouldn't have been asking too much questions"

"Nahh, it's okay", Lance sniffed.

Marie felt guilty for rekindling the lad's sorrows so she drew close and held him by the arm and Lance turned to face her as she spoke: "I don't want you to be sad", she said. In that moment they both stared into each other's eyes and Marie could feel her heart melting once again. Not by sorrow this time, but by the flames of passion for the handsome lad before her. Lance moved his hand to caress her outer thighs fondly, and that was all it took to make her skin succumb to his touch and he leaned forward and kissed her deeply as she slowly fell back to the chair and they consumated their passion.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 2:22am On Dec 31, 2015
Adanna28:

Love you more Obim kiss

**kisses**

1 Like

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 2:23am On Dec 31, 2015
PrinceRhaeger:
Dude, your write - ups are just spot on. Nice work man, keep it up. Meanwhile, waiting for the next chapter.

Thanks bro, I'm humbled. I just updated.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 2:24am On Dec 31, 2015
donkross1:

Okay I didn't see nothing grin

Lol
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Barney11: 2:25am On Dec 31, 2015
More
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Barney11: 2:27am On Dec 31, 2015
Na only adanna28 waka come?u go kiss all of us too.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Nobody: 6:33am On Dec 31, 2015
Barney11:
Na only adanna28 waka come?u go kiss all of us too.

Gerrarahea jor lol, he don't wanna kiss no purple dinosaur.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by girlhaley(f): 8:34am On Dec 31, 2015
Chai

Satan worshipers

No wonder the mansion are filled with horrible beings

Nice work sir goodheart

Waiting for more....

1 Like

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Laveda(f): 11:26am On Dec 31, 2015
Scary cry

Marie fell too quick though undecided
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 11:43am On Dec 31, 2015
Barney11:
More

I'll update soon.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 11:44am On Dec 31, 2015
Adanna28:

Gerrarahea jor lol, he don't wanna kiss no purple dinosaur.

Hey baby, you're funny....Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 11:44am On Dec 31, 2015
girlhaley:
Chai

Satan worshipers

No wonder the mansion are filled with horrible beings

Nice work sir goodheart

Waiting for more....

Thanks for following dear.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 11:45am On Dec 31, 2015
Laveda:
Scary cry
Marie fell too quick though undecided

Yes she fell too quick. Her body yearned for attention.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 11:46am On Dec 31, 2015
Dear readers. You can check the sexuality section for the explicit version of this story. Just thought it wise to inform you all. Graçias.
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by Laveda(f): 11:47am On Dec 31, 2015
goodheart02:

Yes she fell too quick. Her body yearned for attention.
When should I expect your next update?
Re: Whispers On Christmas Night (horror) by goodheart02(m): 11:50am On Dec 31, 2015
Laveda:
When should I expect your next update?

Soon Laveda. Got patients to attend to on an urgent call.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Restless...story Of A Survivor. / Nairaland Detection Club / Online Publishing/Blogging Course And Certification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.