Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,227 members, 7,829,386 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:53 AM

Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said (46345 Views)

9 Things Buhari Did That Confirm CHANGE Is Really Here (list) / 15 Things Buhari Is Doing To Cut Down Cost Of Governance By Lauretta Onochie / 12 Things Buhari Govt Is Putting In Place To Revive Nigerian Economy - Adeosun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by succulent(f): 10:20am On Dec 31, 2015
May God Help Nigerians ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by gurunlocker: 10:21am On Dec 31, 2015
This dude knows nothing about the economy from his answers
Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by bolex04(m): 10:22am On Dec 31, 2015
Wanna start likin dis man...

3 Likes

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by hismahillz(m): 10:22am On Dec 31, 2015
This man is smart he chose his words carefully

2 Likes

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by adioolayi(m): 10:23am On Dec 31, 2015
PMB
No Devaluation of Naira. No Forex if you are importing Rice, toothpick, textiles and other finished goods that can be source locally....It's time to do another business Considerations will be given to students schooling abroad including professional certification seekers to finish their studies. But if you are into importation of raw materials which cannot be sourced locally, that will improve our industrial sector ..FOREX will be made available to you I love #EmefieleEconomics Long live President Buhari

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by NobleAngell(f): 10:26am On Dec 31, 2015
In my opinion, PMB gave answers to every question. Even though some of the answers weren't satisfactory but he was able to hide his ignorance to a very large extent.

3 Likes

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by iyerikan12: 10:27am On Dec 31, 2015
Is good to be trust worthy, and always put fear God in your mind.

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by Jabioro: 10:28am On Dec 31, 2015
Yes the truth,and the policy must stand against all odds..

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by uchennamani(m): 10:28am On Dec 31, 2015
Opeedo:
President Muhammadu Buhari held his first Presidential Media Chat on Wednesday fielding questions about some of the key issues in the country from the whereabouts of the Chibok girls, the Nigerian Army-Shiites clash and pressure to devalue the naira.

Here are some key comments by the President:

On the clash between Shi’ites and the Nigerian Army in Zaria and his silence

i. I have allowed the army and the Kaduna State government to come up with their reports before I come out to speak on the clash. This does not mean that the police and the DSS are not doing their part.

ii. The situation in Zaria is very serious… How can one group create a state within a state?

On the state of tertiary institutions

I don’t like the idea of University students sitting on windows to receive lectures.

On whether he actually promised to pay unemployed youths N5,000

I cannot come here and deny that.

Foreign exchange restrictions

I. We need power, railways, roads… These are our priorities; not people looking for money to bring in rice (to the country).

II.Foreign exchange will be made available to the productive sector of the economy and not for luxury items.

On calls for the devaluation of the Naira

I need to be convinced about devaluing the Naira.

On asset declaration

I declared my assets four times… I don’t have to ask them (Code of Conduct Bureau) to give you the asset declaration… You have a constitutional right to the documents.

On the continued bomb attacks in parts of the North-East

I. The Hijab will have to be banned if this (the suicide bombing) continues.

On the debate about fuel subsidy

By the end of the next quarter, we will not be talking about subsidy. How much is the price of

fuel (in the international market) now?

Reported plans by the National Assembly to spend billions on cars

I cannot see the National Assembly spending N45bn to buy cars on top of the transport allowance they collect.

On the pace of the anti-corruption war

I. Our major constraint is that accused person must go to court first and under such circumstances, we cannot prejudge what the courts will do but there are documents and how the government will react through the Ministry of Justice will determine what we will do because what we are going so we cannot determine issues while they are still in court.

II. If any member of my cabinet is corrupt, I will sack the person.

III. Members of the cabinet are supposed to declare their assets.

On whether funds have been recovered from looters

I. Money has been recovered but the fact that whatever we recover will end up in court because Nigerians will always want to know the truth and the truth will be what the courts have discovered by the submission made to them in terms of bank statements where money was recovered, where money was lodged, when it was lodged, how it was lodged whether it was money from petrol, customs and excise or money directly from the Central Bank. When we do that I think Nigerians will feel a bit better.

II. It is a very nasty situation that we are in, but we cannot fold our hands and not do anything; we are doing our best.

Chibok girls

We are keeping our options open. We are prepared to negotiate with boko haram for the girls… There is no firm intelligence where those girls physically are and what conditions they are in but what we learnt from our intelligence is that they (terrorists) kept on shifting them around so that they are not taken by surprise and they get freed. And a whole lot of them are not in one place and we don’t know how many divisions they have and where they are. There is no intelligence to say that the girls are alive and in one place. That is the honest truth.

On the agitation for Biafra over alleged marginalisation

We have boko haram and then Biafra. Help me define the extent of marginalisation. Who is marginalising them? Why? How? Do you know? … The constitution said there must be a minister from each state. Who is the Minister of Petroleum? Is he not Igbo? Who is the Governor of Central Bank? Is he not Igbo? Who is the Minister of Labour? Who is the Minister of Science and Technology? Who is the junior minister of education?

On the continued detention of suspected looters and alleged violation of court orders by the DSS

You can see the type atrocities that those people committed against soldiers and the country. The former president goes to the governor of the Central Bank and say, ‘give N40bn to so, so, so… And then he fails to account for it and you allow him to go and see his daughter in London while and you have two million people in IDPs, half of them don’t even know their parents. Which kind of country do you want to run?

And the one you are calling Kanu. Do you know he has two passports – one Nigerian, one British – and he came to this country without any passport?… There are criminal allegations against him and I hope the court will listen to the case.

SOURCE: https://www.thenews.ng/metro/honest-truth-top-quotes-from-president-buharis-first-media-chat/

Cc; lalasticlala, seun, ishilove
And this is a man the PDP said is illiterate?

5 Likes

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by Mutuwa(m): 10:29am On Dec 31, 2015
cool

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by davolas(m): 10:29am On Dec 31, 2015
a man in his 70s can still reason nd gv discreet nd convincing ans,jona e no go beta for u dis point u lead our beloved country, vision 2016

4 Likes

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by Yinkusneh: 10:30am On Dec 31, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari #PMB

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 31, 2015
Buhari forgot to address the issue,on the high rising number of runz girls in Nigeria,jumping from one man to the other

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by hoseamatoh(m): 10:33am On Dec 31, 2015
Sincere9gerian:

Interesting! And how exactly do you approach the CBN?

This president is actually worse than I thought.

Anyway, the good thing about our current predicament is that even those who voted for and still supports Buhari, who is obviously the most clueless president in my lifetime, would also feel the heat one way or the other, except of course those directly employed by his government.

Bros you go tey dey hate this man o, cos we don dey prepare to make an win 2019 again, meaning you have 7 and a half good years of wailing, bros just repent and join the queue
Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by lordkit3(m): 10:34am On Dec 31, 2015
Cool

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by dOnLarich: 10:35am On Dec 31, 2015
TheCurse:
This is the curse. It is powered by the anger of 170 million good Nigerians. If you fall within the section of Nigerians who sees fault in every solutions, who subverts the progress of the nation for personal growth, who speaks from both sides of their mouths regarding what a well-meaning president is expected to do, who supports corruption and corrupt officials, who closes their eyes to all the atrocities committed by corrupt people in favour of screaming insane garbage about the rule of law and harrassing the judiciary to set looters and criminals free just so you can take your share, who wants all the good things about Nigeria to fail by all means and at all cost...TAKE NOTE: 2016 will be your year of agony. It will usher in an extended period of pain to you. (Just you, not your innocent family members - except they are culpable too). 2016 is the year you will watch your own personal ruins in 3D clarity. I dont know if you will survive to see 2017. Personally i wish you do, so that your agony and devastation will be drawn out to the fullest as you suffer every iota of pain you richly deserved to the maximum. That is for 2016. As for your last day of 2015, all i can say is that it shall not be well with you throughout today.

I am calm. I represent the voices of the masses who wakes up daily to place a curse on you, but are too busy struggling in the mess your corruption has created and propagated. Receive Your Curse. Know that if you are guilty and you insult me back, your curse and its effect shall be tripled. And Automatic.
are you by any means related to Joseph the father of Jesus cause he's a carpenter in his time and here you are also. Am damnn sure you are a carpenter as well cause you just nailed it as well.. I love you brother shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 31, 2015
he is not aware Germany and France have been using euro since 2002
Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by Ghandi12: 10:36am On Dec 31, 2015

Foreign exchange restrictions

I. We need power, railways, roads… These are our priorities; not people looking for money to bring in rice (to the country).

II.Foreign exchange will be made available to the productive sector of the economy and not for luxury items.

Agreed we need power, railways and road but that is only when we are alive. Primarily we need food/income to enjoy these infrastructures - people need to be kept employed or in business. We need to establish a balance between basic needs for survival and desire for expansive projects.
Getting good education abroad or writing an international professional exam is an investment (not a luxury) but forex restriction policy is thwarting many dreams and no alternatives have been created for students.
Conversely, BMW cars are luxury - how come we have foreign exchange up to N4.3 Billion available for luxury. Moreover what is a broke third-world nation (threatened by recession) doing with lavish hosting of VIPs. To what ends?
Steel is a major component to achieve the (power, railways and road) budget. But as at today Nigeria does not have the capacity to meet some international standards required in constructions and fabrications. Definitely huge foreign exchange (running into millions of $$) will be used to import these standards/raw materials. But there are many small firms (whose operations are being hampered) who are also labour employers and need forex to get raw materials.
Considering what is happening to existing companies not many companies will feel comfortable moving new businesses into Nigeria.

How do we define productive sector? Any parameters to identify the productivity of sectors? What happens to the practitioners in the "unproductive sector"? Who will provide the needed forex for the "certified productive sector"? - because there is no forex now in banks.

Happenings and trends on the street are potentially dangerous - job losses will climb in 2016, stimulation of (power, railways and roads) sector may not be enough to make much difference; many stopped from achieving higher academic/professional dreams will be distraught or idled; the street record is clear as existing companies are either shutting down or shedding off; and a number of banks are already showing signs of stress.

2 Likes

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by cruzita(f): 10:37am On Dec 31, 2015
this man sabi talk ooo.so after em failed campaign promises em still dey promise.naija na home for all the yeyecious people I swear

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by biltem: 10:37am On Dec 31, 2015
Teddeebear:

it is saddening to hear the buhari say that by giving political offices to individuals the district which the individual hails is well treated.

How does giving political offices to selfish politicians benefit the common man, how many of these politicians reach out to their people expect during another election period.

you cannot eat your cake and have it at the same time. So what were u doing when ur so called person was there as the president or quasi president. U mow thought u can use force to claim right. That will not work.

Buhari should be listing possible FG projects that he wants to embark on in the region that will touch their lives.

Moreover, the people have nothing much to show in terms of FG presence in their region for 100years and about 55yrs independence, they also have the right to decide not to be a part of Nigeria.

He should rather call for a conference, where our existence as a country should be negotiated, if after 100yrs, some people call themselves igbos, Yorubas and hausas with their own agenda, one claiming to be superior to another, then Nigeria is a joke.

These ethnic issues and tribalism should be handled seriously else our problems will persist.
Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by skimarvel: 10:38am On Dec 31, 2015
TheCurse:
This is the curse. It is powered by the anger of 170 million good Nigerians. If you fall within the section of Nigerians who sees fault in every solutions, who subverts the progress of the nation for personal growth, who speaks from both sides of their mouths regarding what a well-meaning president is expected to do, who supports corruption and corrupt officials, who closes their eyes to all the atrocities committed by corrupt people in favour of screaming insane garbage about the rule of law and harrassing the judiciary to set looters and criminals free just so you can take your share, who wants all the good things about Nigeria to fail by all means and at all cost...TAKE NOTE: 2016 will be your year of agony. It will usher in an extended period of pain to you. (Just you, not your innocent family members - except they are culpable too). 2016 is the year you will watch your own personal ruins in 3D clarity. I dont know if you will survive to see 2017. Personally i wish you do, so that your agony and devastation will be drawn out to the fullest as you suffer every iota of pain you richly deserved to the maximum. That is for 2016. As for your last day of 2015, all i can say is that it shall not be well with you throughout today.

I am calm. I represent the voices of the masses who wakes up daily to place a curse on you, but are too busy struggling in the mess your corruption has created and propagated. Receive Your Curse. Know that if you are guilty and you insult me back, your curse and its effect shall be tripled. And Automatic.
Another mad dog on the loose who curse people who refuse to be dumb like their president
Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by LockDown69(m): 10:41am On Dec 31, 2015
Where them Wailers @?
Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by hoseamatoh(m): 10:41am On Dec 31, 2015
Efe3:
Buhari basically justified the shi'ite massacre when asked about it, he started talking about how shi'ites block roads and run a parallel government.

You need to see these guys on government roads, they do take one side of an express road over 100km and make motorists jampack on the other, you make small mistake there and you would be a story

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by caprini1: 10:42am On Dec 31, 2015
panachuku:
he is not aware Germany and France have been using euro since 2002
I think he was just trying to explain...devalue the naira against what? he has good intentions and ideas ,but he can't be a whole Soyinka to put out his ideas in the queens English.

1 Like

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by lyterydim(m): 10:42am On Dec 31, 2015
coolcharm:
That is my president. Hate him or love him, he is what we need at this point in time.

His stand on foreign exchange restrictions are on point. Our industries are not growing because of importation of basically everything... toothpick, frozen chicken, rice, generators, fabrics.... you name them. We can't continue that way. Most of these things are stuffs that can be produced locally. Nigerians should be grateful that the government is resolute enough to take that stand.

We can't devalue the naira because of businesses that do not contribute anything to employment and economic growth.

And of course, we can't subsidise the the dollar for them either.

But if they insist, they can source for forex from the black market.

Whatever you can no longer import because of rising forex... learn how to produce or manufacture it locally!

I love you PMB! I know a lot of well meaning Nigerians do too

We pray God helps you win the war against corruption and insecurity too
the earlier we start realizing that words are free,and sweet words are majorly said by unserious people,am not kicking against his words, but am only kicking against the number of time he hypnotized us with his words, sai my advice to you is to quit talking and start working,I love you sai but the truth must be said
Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by alabijohn: 10:44am On Dec 31, 2015
President Buhari good job and God bless.

Nnamadi Kanu or what is he called deserved to be jailed. How have this government marginalized the Igbos?
How can he come in into Nigeria without any of his passport with him. He must be a terrorist.

So Sambo who has power to collect so much from the CBN only for the money to be shared and you want those people to be granted bailed.

Good people of this country let us all encourage this man as he's trying to sanitize this country from all sorts of corruption.
God bless

2 Likes

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by demolinka(m): 10:44am On Dec 31, 2015
Nigeria needs to be forcefully cleansed! All this rule of law BS wailers are screaming will either keep us redundant or throw us back into the doldrums. Even the Americans sometimes bypass laws and statutes for their greater good. Carry go, Daddy zahra.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by Tripleclick(m): 10:44am On Dec 31, 2015
IGBOS YOU GUX ARE ON YOUR OWN IN NIGERIA .. IGBOS LEADERS ARE THE MOST SHAMELESS PPLE ON EARTH.. THE YOUTHS R NOW D ONE TRYING TO CHANGE THIER DESTINY... NEGOGIATE WITH BOKO LEADER N JAIL BIAFRAN LEADER.. BUHARI IS A TERRORIST
Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by sammhi(m): 10:45am On Dec 31, 2015
the OP must be Garba or Sheu but it is good. I enjoy the OP summary better than listening to PMB . maybe PMB has problem with conveying his message .
I didnt watch it but heard a few over the radio ..but this summary really conveys the message
PMB means well but he should learn to be respect the law too..no matter his sincerity if PMB does not respect the law then why should the court listen to him....

2 Likes

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by otokx(m): 10:45am On Dec 31, 2015
The answers appear reasonable unlike what some rated him yesterday.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Media Chat: The 14 Things Buhari Said by Bollinger(m): 10:45am On Dec 31, 2015
I have a problem with;

"On the clash between Shi’ites and the Nigerian Army in Zaria and his silence

i. I have allowed the army and the Kaduna State government to come up with their reports before I come out to speak on the clash. This does not mean that the police and the DSS are not doing their part.

ii. The situation in Zaria is very serious… How can one group create a state within a state?

There is nothing like jurisdiction in the legal process in Nigeria. It does not make any sense. Who is in charge of this investigation? In the US, one agency would take charge of an investigation so as not to create confussion as well as not to waste valuable resource. We see it everyday. LASTMA, KAI, VIO, ROAD SAFETY, all doing the same thing which is absolutely insane.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ganduje Orders Emergency Allocation Of Land To Kano INEC Officials (pics) / Buhari’s Corruption Watch Begins To Yield Results / Aregbesola Blames Devil For Rift With Oyetola, Seeks Forgiveness.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.