Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,237 members, 7,815,316 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119808 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 7:43am On May 13, 2016
cococandy:
My Mother's Day bouquet. Still fresh.

Beautiful
I love the shades of pink
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:02am On May 13, 2016
cococandy:
My Mother's Day bouquet. Still fresh.

Awwww....
smiley

I was supposed to have built my terrarium this week but Baby E is under the weather and we may have a hospital visit.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:03am On May 13, 2016
Tearoses, mouldy cake! shocked that is insane. Truly Nigerians are very deceitful so I laugh when they blame the government, they do worse daily.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:12am On May 13, 2016
Onegai:
Tearoses, mouldy cake! shocked that is insane. Truly Nigerians are very deceitful so I laugh when they blame the government, they do worse daily.

Yes Ma'am
Mouldy cake

We are the govt
its nigerian people with one head and two arms in govt; they are not aliens
charity begins at home
people who steal N200 from their employers will steal 20 million from the govt coffers
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:13am On May 13, 2016
Onegai:

Awwww....
smiley

I was supposed to have built my terrarium this week but Baby E is under the weather and we may have a hospital visit.

Awwww
wishing Baby E a quick recovery kiss

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:16am On May 13, 2016
tearoses:

Yes Ma'am
Mouldy cake

We are the govt
its nigerian people with one head and two arms in govt; they are not aliens
charity begins at home
people who steal N200 from their employers will steal 20 million from the govt coffers

I can't get over that story. What benefit was it to them to sell it?? The energy used in scrapping off and re-icing it.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:25am On May 13, 2016
Onegai:

I can't get over that story. What benefit was it to them to sell it?? The energy used in scrapping off and re-icing it.

We did think about it too
My aunt said maybe the owner of the eatery had asked them to bin it but the staff decided to make a quick buck out of it
Who knows
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 11:17am On May 13, 2016
tearoses:

Beautiful
I love the shades of pink
Onegai:

Awwww....
smiley
Thank you smiley

Onegai i hope baby E feels better.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:05pm On May 13, 2016
cococandy:

Thank you smiley

Onegai i hope baby E feels better.

Thanks, ladies. We are going to watch her tonight and pray for an improvement. Hugs

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:16am On May 16, 2016
Hello fellow green fingered friends grin
I have some pictures ive been meaning to upload
Was at the garden centre a few weeks ago but have been too lazy to upload pictures, then my apple tree started flowering and my first iris lily blossomed

Below is a picture of the apple tree and the iris
The iris is gorgeous
It comes back year after year

All the flowers on the apple tree will become edible full sized apples ready for harvest in October
Unfortunately the tree snapped in half last year due to the weight of the apples on the tree, so its only half the height, but still hoping to get about 200 apples off it in October.

The tree is 4 years old.

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:24am On May 16, 2016
Some pictures taken at the garden centre
My phone battery died before I could take more angry

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:25am On May 16, 2016
green manipulated ke? cool shocked

I said green fingerred grin

Meanwhile all my pictires are sideways angry
It is well o!

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 8:28am On May 16, 2016
more garden centre sideways pictires grin

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 2:59am On May 17, 2016
tearoses:
green manipulated ke? cool shocked

I said green fingerred grin

Meanwhile all my pictires are sideways angry
It is well o!
Lol seun and his euphemisms.

What are you going to do with all those apples?
Pls don't say apple pie.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:47am On May 17, 2016
Apple...pie...deep breaths...must remember...diet... cry

Those pictures are lovely, sideways or not.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 10:33pm On May 17, 2016
cococandy:

Lol seun and his euphemisms.
What are you going to do with all those apples?
Pls don't say apple pie.

Onegai:
Apple...pie...deep breaths...must remember...diet... cry

Those pictures are lovely, sideways or not.

coco I give most away
Plus because they are organic about a third of them have bruises, insect damage etc

Please no one should say apple pie I beg cool grin

The pictures are the right orientation on my phone but sideways on my laptop
very bizzare
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 12:34am On May 18, 2016
tearoses:

coco I give most away
Plus because they are organic about a third of them have bruises, insect damage etc

Please no one should say apple pie I beg cool grin

The pictures are the right orientation on my phone but sideways on my laptop
very bizzare
Wish I lived close to you.
Apples with peanut butter is my favorite snack.

Yea I was seeing the pictures upright too so I was wondering what you were talking about.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 12:37am On May 18, 2016
This weird but pretty double colored flower is in bloom now. I see them almost everywhere in pot planters and side walks.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 5:44am On May 20, 2016
Found this picture of a random bouquet DH gave me last year.
Been saving the pics since last year. Lol (face palm) But I really liked it.

Some of the roses were still buds (hope that's that's the word) and they bloomed in the vase when I put the flower food.
The pink ones were my favorite.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 5:55am On May 20, 2016
Red valerian growing around.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 7:31am On May 20, 2016
cococandy:
This weird but pretty double colored flower is in bloom now. I see them almost everywhere in pot planters and side walks.

I think they are called Violas
What is the temp like where you are
They usually come out in April/March here too
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 7:32am On May 20, 2016
cococandy:
Red valerian growing around.

Ive never seen this flower before
It looks beautiful
The roses are lovely too
One of my fav flowers grin
DId they have a scent?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 11:42am On May 20, 2016
tearoses:

I think they are called Violas
What is the temp like where you are
They usually come out in April/March here too

Yesterday it was in the 50s-60s. It's been fluctuating recently. As of last week, we had some days of 78+ degrees.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 11:44am On May 20, 2016
tearoses:

Ive never seen this flower before
It looks beautiful
The roses are lovely too
One of my fav flowers grin
DId they have a scent?
The red valerian is pretty common here. Yes it is beautiful.

The roses had a mild scent. Not like that pink wild ones I posted sometime ago. Those ones you could smell just walking up to the rose bush.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 10:41am On May 29, 2016
So i built my terrarium. Ko easy! But i made all the mistakes so i could share with you how to go about it in a more efficient manner. It just needs planning and gathering of resources beforehand. Will post pics and details
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:12pm On May 29, 2016
Terrarium

So, I've mentioned this before but the more I delved into it, the more fascinating it was.

A terrarium is a mini garden, which acts like a tropical greenhouse. It is a great tool to teach kids about the atmosphere, humidity, CO2 emissions, horticulture, Agriculture and Science. It's awesome! Plus it looks nice.

In the 1800s, an English botanist travelled back from India with some plant specimens. He kept them in glass containers and realised that they thrived all through the months-long journey in the sealed container. And that was were a terraium was discovered.

A terrarium can be open or closed. I built 2 open one's but will build a closed one with my babies so we can all learn. A closed terrarium will require watering every 2 weeks because it is a sealed environment that works like a rainforest: indirect sunlight, a lot of moisture in the air (you will actually see beads of water form on the glass), a substrate that has drainage.

HOW TO BUILD A TERRARIUM

First, look at your home or office, decide where you want to place it. It should never be in front of a window or bright sunlight because the glass will magnify the effects of the sun's rays and cook the plants.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:23pm On May 29, 2016
TERRARIUM SUPPLIES

A glass jar. It must be glass, plastic will break under the pressure it can be any type of jar, even an old Mayonnaise jar will do. markets in Lagos will provide one.

Rocks and pebbles or beads. I chose white rocks and pebbles but I've seen glass beads used and anything that will give drainage so that your roots don't sit in water and rot. This mimics the earth we plant on daily: underneath the soil is a harder substance. This is actually the most expensive thing to buy.

Charcoal. To deodorise everything.

Moss or a type of netting material. This helps the spol not to fall to the bottom of the pot.

Plants

Decor. Some small toys will look nice in them.

1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:26pm On May 29, 2016
Some tips: moisten the soil before placing it in your bar so it doesn't fall about. Use a small plastic spoon as your shovel.

PLANTS

This it the hard part. You see, a lot of professional gardeners are in the business because, well, man must wack. So they don't take the time to know all about their business. None of them have heard of a terrarium. Most don't properly identify the plants but they do know the right growing condition. Sadly, half of them will prioritise making a sale rather than being honest and giving you want you need. So you have to do your research.

A closed terrarium requires plants that will grow naturally in low light, lots of moisture and high humidity. So our local plants are great in this because Nigeria has that environment naturally (if you're in the South). Plants like Cactus and Succulents (example of a succulent is Aloe vera) are not our local plants, that are desert plants and require plenty sun and a little quantity of water. So if you wanna use them, it has to be an open terrarium.

1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:53pm On May 29, 2016
Assemble your supplies and that's it. Use a funnel to get the soil into the hard with small openings.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 3:38am On May 30, 2016
Nice job Onegai.

Hmm I went to this garden center close my house just to look around as I've never been there before. It wasn't funny. Their pots were in the range of 100-200 dollars.

I was telling myself una never start. So if I want to buy 5 since one or two won't be enough, I'll pay around $1000 for 5.
As if I don't know how to use that money and buy two designer handbags with change on top.

I like flowers ehn but not like this. cheesy
Empty pots sef. Mtchew. undecided

Meanwhile other garden centers have good quality pots for like $50 and less. Down to $10.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (27) (Reply)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.