Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,308 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119806 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 3:41am On May 30, 2016
They have pretty flowers though.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:00am On May 30, 2016
cococandy:
Nice job Onegai.

Hmm I went to this garden center close my house just to look around as I've never been there before. It wasn't funny. Their pots were in the range of 100-200 dollars.

I was telling myself una never start. So if I want to buy 5 since one or two won't be enough, I'll pay around $1000 for 5.
As if I don't know how to use that money and buy two designer handbags with change in top.

I like flowers ehn but not like this. cheesy
Empty pots sef. Mtchew. undecided

Meanwhile other garden centers have good quality pots for like $50 and less. Down to $10.

Most likely they are hand-made, fired claypot by a sculptor. Which are cheaper in Nigeria. See, something good about Naija tongue

Your comment is making remember I missed buying a Marc Jacobs bag last year because New Mummy Syndrome was stacking me cry don't make that same mistake.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:02am On May 30, 2016
cococandy:
They have pretty flowers though.

We are beginning to have places like this in Nigeria. But they are pricey as well (Garden boutiques). Check out Aralia by Nature and there's another in Abuja.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 8:32am On May 30, 2016
Onegai:

Most likely they are hand-made, fired claypot by a sculptor. Which are cheaper in Nigeria. See, something good about Naija tongue

Your comment is making remember I missed buying a Marc Jacobs bag last year because New Mummy Syndrome was stacking me cry don't make that same mistake.
What's new mummy syndrome?

Me I don't miss buying good stuff whenever I can.
That's why I don't even want to go Macy's shopping for my baby.
I'll just forget her and do my own shopping. cheesy
And I thank god the outlet mall is sort of far from us. I only go there when I've made up my mind to spend some money. Not the spontaneous buying kind of shopping.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:15pm On May 30, 2016
cococandy:

What's new mummy syndrome?

Me I don't miss buying good stuff whenever I can.
That's why I don't even want to go Macy's shopping for my baby.
I'll just forget her and do my own shopping. cheesy
And I thank god the outlet mall is sort of far from us. I only go there when I've made up my mind to spend some money. Not the spontaneous buying kind of shopping

New Mummy Syndrome is when you walk into the store and immediately go to the Children's section or start looking for something to buy for your child to make baby happy or life for baby easier. You tend to forget you were an actual person before that baby and never spend on yourself.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 8:14pm On May 30, 2016
Onegai:

New Mummy Syndrome is when you walk into the store and immediately go to the Children's section or start looking for something to buy for your child to make baby happy or life for baby easier. You tend to forget you were an actual person before that baby and never spend on yourself.
Oh I see.

Haha not guilty. Not guilty at all.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:44pm On Jun 05, 2016
Green Walls

So, after a brief hiatus, we are back!

Have you heard of a Green wall/Living wall? Basically, it's a wall consisting of living, growing plants and moss. You can have it indoors or outdoor, but it looks much nicer indoors. Construction is not that hard and the raw materials required can be sourced easily in Nigeria but I haven't seen anyone do it, so I would advise getting one of the kits (they sell them pre-packaged) abroad and assembling in Nigeria.

You'll need:
Wood as the backing
Moisture retaining material
Felt material
Potting soil
Plants
A location that is close to sunlight

It's like hanging a photo on the wall. It's a very unique look. May I suggest if you get one, don't over water it as you don't want the wood underneath to soak in water.

Here are some examples of them.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:46pm On Jun 05, 2016
I'll post some pictures of it being assembled now. You can also attach containers to the wall

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:17pm On Jun 06, 2016
The economy has gone to the dogs and eating fresh food is now a luxury for most people. Why not start planning new recipes for mealtimes and start a small herb and vegetable garden in your backyard. Now, before you declare "I've got no money to buy supplies", let's break it down to a more affordable way.

Rather than buying containers, simply grab your plastic bottles (the bigger the better), cut a section off one side, then either poke holes in the bottom or use some stones to create a faux-drainage, fill with soil and voila, a container garden is born. You can do the same for buckets. Feel free to design it with acrylic paint.

This is a great way to grow Garlic, Spring Onions, herbs and scent leaves, aloe vera, shoko leaf, waterleaf, small necessary things around the house.

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by babythug(f): 9:41pm On Jun 07, 2016
The spring onions in the bottle look somewhat nice grin

In the spirit of the new wave of "grow your own food" I attempted to plant some peppers. I'm afraid to report that they were.literally scorched to death in the blazing heat we experienced in Lahos up until last month or so..

Will give it another shot soon. Trying to clear out a spot in the back area where I can have a proper herb/vegetable garden and so on. Cannot continue buying 10 stalks of spinach for N200....

God help us in this country

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:37am On Jun 08, 2016
babythug:
The spring onions in the bottle look somewhat nice grin

In the spirit of the new wave of "grow your own food" I attempted to plant some peppers. I'm afraid to report that they were.literally scorched to death in the blazing heat we experienced in Lahos up until last month or so..

Will give it another shot soon. Trying to clear out a spot in the back area where I can have a proper herb/vegetable garden and so on. Cannot continue buying 10 stalks of spinach for N200....

God help us in this country

Our peppers survived so probably keep it in out of direct sunlight as nurslings. I'm going to try the Spring Onions and Garlic if Himself will not complain. My sis has waterleaf, ugwu and shoko growing nicely. So many people are now growing vegetables, we will soon start doing trade-by-barter instead of going to the market: "i went to the village and got some yams, I will trade you 2 for peppers and dried fish and waterleaf" undecided

That Nigeria has gotten to this point and things may still slide down further...

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:52pm On Jun 08, 2016
I must say you guys are doing a great job @onegal, cococandy, tearose, babythug and others. I've learnt a lot to be frank and I thank you all. Some questions though: - those indoor plants, don't they harbour Mosquitoes and white flies, or are there ways to avoid that? - also on the indoor plants, will there be an extra container underneath the ones containing the plants to collect the dripping water? - Are the flowers annual or perrenial cos I'm seeing some trees there n someone like me don't have that patience to wait years for the beauty of what I planted to be seen - for the terrarium, what happens when the plant outgrows the bottle or won't they? N if they won't, can u help with a list of the flowers that can be planted and won't outgrow the bottle. Sorry I asked many questions.

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by ojac1: 6:59am On Jun 09, 2016
U r such a blessing! Am wondering how d plants get watered afterwards.

Onegai:
Green Walls

So, after a brief hiatus, we are back!

Have you heard of a Green wall/Living wall? Basically, it's a wall consisting of living, growing plants and moss. You can have it indoors or outdoor, but it looks much nicer indoors. Construction is not that hard and the raw materials required can be sourced easily in Nigeria but I haven't seen anyone do it, so I would advise getting one of the kits (they sell them pre-packaged) abroad and assembling in Nigeria.

You'll need:
Wood as the backing
Moisture retaining material
Felt material
Potting soil
Plants
A location that is close to sunlight

It's like hanging a photo on the wall. It's a very unique look. May I suggest if you get one, don't over water it as you don't want the wood underneath to soak in water.

Here are some examples of them.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:47am On Jun 09, 2016
ojac1:
U r such a blessing! Am wondering how d plants get watered afterwards.

Thank you smiley. Because of the nature of the plants not being rooted in plenty soil, they get misted with water. You can easily find plastic misting bottles everywhere (N500) as it is used by a lot of people in Nigeria (especially those in the Natural Hair industry).

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:07am On Jun 09, 2016
Yampotatocarrot:
I must say you guys are doing a great job @onegal, cococandy, tearose, babythug and others. I've learnt a lot to be frank and I thank you all. Some questions though: - those indoor plants, don't they harbour Mosquitoes and white flies, or are there ways to avoid that? - also on the indoor plants, will there be an extra container underneath the ones containing the plants to collect the dripping water? - Are the flowers annual or perrenial cos I'm seeing some trees there n someone like me don't have that patience to wait years for the beauty of what I planted to be seen - for the terrarium, what happens when the plant outgrows the bottle or won't they? N if they won't, can u help with a list of the flowers that can be planted and won't outgrow the bottle. Sorry I asked many questions.

Thanks smiley

1.No mosquitoes. Mosquitoes need standing water to thrive and there's no such thing like that in your plant. I've actually seen more mosquitoes gathering round the bucket used to mop the floor because there's usually water in it.

2.There should be a container to catch water if the pot the plant is in has holes at the bottom. They are usually plastic or clay and are sold for N300 upwards. Which is pricey for a small thing that looks EXACTLY like a child's eating plate, just go and get a plastic plate (any size) from the market and paint it the same colour as your pot. If your plant pot has no holes, create a false drainage by adding some stones to the bottom.

3. As for Annuals and Perennials, that's more of a question Olerismith and Rosety should help us answer. Personally, I notice some do well depending on our season (wet and dry).

4. For Terrariums, look for small, slow-growing plants. Some will outgrow the container and that's fine, just move them out. For a comprehensive list, Olerismith and Rosety o (customer don land) grin

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Yampotatocarrot(m): 9:17am On Jun 09, 2016
@Onegal, thanks for the reply. I've gotten my glass jars already n my gravel n charcoals r ready as u taught us. So I'll just wait for rosety n co. to give me d list of plants so I'll know which ones to put in. Thanks again. @Rosety n Olerismith, please try as much as possible to give d plants ull b mentioning a local name so that I'll know where to get them, cos all these botanical names get as then dey sound for hear. Thanks again to everyone

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:22pm On Jun 09, 2016
Yampotatocarrot:
@Onegal, thanks for the reply. I've gotten my glass jars already n my gravel n charcoals r ready as u taught us. So I'll just wait for rosety n co. to give me d list of plants so I'll know which ones to put in. Thanks again. @Rosety n Olerismith, please try as much as possible to give d plants ull b mentioning a local name so that I'll know where to get them, cos all these botanical names get as then dey sound for hear. Thanks again to everyone

Please post a pic of your jars. So we can help pick plants together. I know Aloe Vera looks nice in it (plus it cleans up the air and is good for detox and itchy skin and moisturising). Ferns (e.g. Boston, asparagus and Maidenhair) too.

Here is a picture of mine: dwarf snake plant, baby tears, maidenhair fern, Boston fern and Asparagus fern. I added seashells i picked and some smooth pebbles. If you tell your gardener you only need a little quantity, each plant should not cost upto N300 max (some were N100).

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:14pm On Jun 10, 2016
To everyone wanting to grow food in their house but don't have space, container hardening is the answer.I grew Garlic in old tins of baby food. I'm now going to grow spring onions and leeks. Here is a handy chart below with more info. Remember guys, they all need sunlight so a balcony or on a window is the best position.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 4:31am On Jun 11, 2016
It's not funny but how you're saying it makes it funny grin

Good one. Thumbs up.
Onegai:

Our peppers survived so probably keep it in out of direct sunlight as nurslings. I'm going to try the Spring Onions and Garlic if Himself will not complain. My sis has waterleaf, ugwu and shoko growing nicely. So many people are now growing vegetables, we will soon start doing trade-by-barter instead of going to the market: "i went to the village and got some yams, I will trade you 2 for peppers and dried fish and waterleaf" undecided

That Nigeria has gotten to this point and things may still slide down further...
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 4:33am On Jun 11, 2016
Onegai:

Thank you smiley. Because of the nature of the plants not being rooted in plenty soil, they get misted with water. You can easily find plastic misting bottles everywhere (N500) as it is used by a lot of people in Nigeria (especially those in the Natural Hair industry).
I think one can also use old body spray bottles that are well cleaned out for that.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:22pm On Jun 12, 2016
cococandy:

I think one can also use old body spray bottles that are well cleaned out for that.

I dunno, the ones I see sold are pressurised cans so one can't re-use them.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 1:14pm On Jun 12, 2016
Onegai:

I dunno, the ones I see sold are pressurised cans so one can't re-use them.
Okay.

There are non-pressurized body mist and spray bottles though.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:12pm On Jun 12, 2016
The next step is to start looking for a gardener around me

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by stonecoldcafe: 8:04am On Jun 13, 2016
Onegai:
Assemble your supplies and that's it. Use a funnel to get the soil into the hard with small openings.

Where can one get like this your glass pot on d island say Ajah.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:24am On Jun 13, 2016
stonecoldcafe:

Where can one get like this your glass pot on d island say Ajah.

I don't know, maybe Ikota Shopping Mall? I know it's sold at Mega Plaza (but it's N6,000 there for my shape and size). If you can get to the mainland, it should be cheaper at some markets like Balogun and Iponri and Ikeja (decor stores). I may be able to get some from a lady I know for cheaper (but she will insist on collecting money upfront as I've sent people to get in the past and she would commit her money and then they wouldn't buy).
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 9:51am On Jun 13, 2016
Yampotatocarrot:
The next step is to start looking for a gardener around me

I wish I could get some of my mum's tiny aloe vera plants for you, she has so many she'd give you for free. Okay, so you can do tiny aloe vera, dwarf snake plant (it's yellow), baby tears and silver fern. I'll post pictures of them so you can identify them when you are them. The most expensive plant is the fern (but you only need about N300 worth of it). I'll circle the plants in referring to.

In the picture below, all 4 of those plants are easily available in Nigeria (only one is over N1000, the bromeliad on the left). This is a terrarium for desert and dry plants as it's mostly succulents. So the soil is at the bottom and they used plenty of sharp sand and the pebbles are at the top. The yellow and green spiked small plant I circled is the dwarf snake plant (that call it Mother-in-law tongue because the ends are sharp and pointy), then Aloe Vera and cactuses are the other 2 circled.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:08pm On Jun 13, 2016
Growing from Kitchen Scraps

Did you know that if you put Spring Onions and Leeks inside a glass of water, they will grow? I did just that and they started growing, I wish I had included the original picture when I cut it, there was absolutely no green stall on any of them and look how much they've grown in a few days (over the weekend) in JUST A JAR OF WATER. I've now transferred them into their containers and placed them on my balconey to get sunlight. There are a lot of fruits and veggies and herbs you can grow like this. Including peppers and tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc. I'm serious. So stop throwing away plastic bottles and buckets and mayonnaise jars and food waste and sit down, let's learn together.

I will do a series of posts about foods that can be grown from your kitchen scraps in your urban setting like a balconey.

Cc Babythug. Pavore9, I've seen you've started a thread about sack farming in Kenya. Since you've seen it upclose, could you please share with us the Do's and Don'ts of Container Gardening? Thanks.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 4:06pm On Jun 13, 2016
Emary, touchmeder, Brandnew3, Goodyness, Ije004, Aghaibiam, hettetatattam, Cheechy, whom else am I missing?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 4:29pm On Jun 13, 2016
Urban Vegetable Container Gardening

So you would like fresh, non-GMO, affordable (not costly like gold where you will be eyeing your visitor when he/she lavishly helps himself to stew from your pot grin) and you have no space?

Welcome to Urban Container Gardening!

You can grow soooo much in a container. All you need to do is find a spot that has light, a container and decide what you want to grow.

A container is anything: a bucket, an old bowl or pot, a glass mayonnaise jar (mason jar), a wooden crate from a wine collection, a flower pot etc. Depending on the size of what you're growing, you will need a small or large container (tomatoes, lemons and peppers and carrots need more space than Spring Onions and garlic and Bay leaves for example).

Add some granite stones at the bottom of your container to create a false drainage id it doesn't have holes in it.

You can improve your soil by adding a raw egg to the soil or watering your plant with the water used to wash or book your potatoes. One of my gardeners said in her village, they use chicken poop and my mum loved cow dung for her garden. So no need for pricey fertilisers.

I'll post a lot of pictures and charts so you can take a look and see what you like.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 4:34pm On Jun 13, 2016
The chart below shows requirements for growing different vegetables in containers. If the pic isn't clear, then please try the link below:

http://pin.it/eQbee1r

For those of us who live in cramped cities, this can be a boon.

2 Shares

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by stonecoldcafe: 8:05pm On Jun 13, 2016
Onegai:

I don't know, maybe Ikota Shopping Mall? I know it's sold at Mega Plaza (but it's N6,000 there for my shape and size). If you can get to the mainland, it should be cheaper at some markets like Balogun and Iponri and Ikeja (decor stores). I may be able to get some from a lady I know for cheaper (but she will insist on collecting money upfront as I've sent people to get in the past and she would commit her money and then they wouldn't buy).

Interesting. What shop in Mega plaza or any idea of d area in balogun?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:23pm On Jun 13, 2016
stonecoldcafe:

Interesting. What shop in Mega plaza or any idea of d area in balogun?

Balogun, I don't know, Iponri ask around (have a picture with you if you go to the markets). Mega plaza, it's on the 2nd floor, on the left if you're coming from the stairs and it's after Gethsemene Flowers. From the lifts, it's on the right. They currently have a fountain display outside the store.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (27) (Reply)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.