Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,573 members, 7,812,858 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:48 PM

The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc - Agriculture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc (119660 Views)

Nigeria Generates $35 Million From Hibiscus (zobo) Export In 9 Months- NAQS / Super Gro Wonder Drops For Agricultural Farmings And Gardeners / Hibiscus Flower {Zobo}Now Available For Pickup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by stonecoldcafe: 8:36pm On Jun 13, 2016
Onegai:

Balogun, I don't know, Iponri ask around (have a picture with you if you go to the markets). Mega plaza, it's on the 2nd floor, on the left if you're coming from the stairs and it's after Gethsemene Flowers. From the lifts, it's on the right. They currently have a fountain display outside the store.

You are simply amazing! Good night
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:20pm On Jun 14, 2016
Oxalis

Do you know, I'm not quite sure how to pronounce this...

Meet the Purple Clover aka False shamrock plant aka Butterfly plant! Such a pretty indoor plant. It likes bright, indirect light. But look at that purple colour! The colour comes out better if it's not directly in the sun so place it in a lot near a window or a balconey. It actually grows from an edible bulb but its mostly New Zealanders, Indians and Native Americans who eat it (known as a yam to them). When buying plants look at the colour scheme of your house. Purple and yellow and mustard go well together. Give the Oxalis plant a well-drained soil and allow it to dry out between waterings.

By the way the Oxalis shows Photonasty. It opens and closed according to light stimuli.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 5:46pm On Jun 14, 2016
Hello Rhukie smiley come in, introduce yourself. Don't be shy, we need more people in here!

I will start keeping a roster of people codedly reading and announcing monikers angry angry tongue

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 6:32pm On Jun 14, 2016
What a beauty
Onegai:
Oxalis

Meet the Purple Clover aka False shamrock plant aka Butterfly plant! Such a pretty indoor plant. It likes bright, indirect light. But look at that purple colour! The colour comes out better if it's not directly in the sun so place it in a lot near a window or a balconey. It actually grows from an edible bulb but its mostly New Zealanders, Indians and Native Americans who eat it (known as a yam to them). When buying plants look at the colour scheme of your house. Purple and yellow and mustard go well together. Give the Oxalis plant a well-drained soil and allow it to dry out between waterings.

By the way the Oxalis shows Photonasty. It opens and closed according to light stimuli.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Rhukie(f): 6:40pm On Jun 14, 2016
Onegai:
Hello Rhukie smiley come in, introduce yourself. Don't be shy, we need more people in here!

I will start keeping a roster of people codedly reading and announcing monikers angry angry tongue
you caught me (coverface). I am just trying to develop interest in gardening but the truth it is confusing. well done to all the contributors.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2016
Rhukie:
you caught me (coverface). I am just trying to develop interest in gardening but the truth it is confusing. well done to all the contributors.

We can all help. Start from the basics and take it slow. Why not try that spring onion inside water and see what happens? That's very simple and the best way to learn is to jump in (when you kill your first plant, you'll learn a lot cheesy). I don't know a lot either, I think Tearoses is the most experienced here.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2016
cococandy:
What a beauty

It is. How's your LO?
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Gloriouspa(m): 8:46pm On Jun 14, 2016
Onegai:
Oxalis

@Onegai, I must commend you for doing a good job on this thread. I have been following you people for sometimes now.

Please do you have or know where I can get Fox Tail Palm and Rose of Sharon. A client requested for it. I am based in ibadan but could not find it here. Thanks.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:51pm On Jun 14, 2016
Gloriouspa:

@Onegai, I must commend you for doing a good job on this thread. I have been you people for sometimes now.

Please do you habe or know where I can get Fox Tail Palm and Rose of Sharon. A client requested for it. I am based in ibadan but could not find it here. Thanks.

I wish I knew. That Fox tail palm looks really nice. Your best bet is Lagos, followed by calling up Santua in Benin city (Google his number).

You can add any plant breakdowns you want. Please feel free to contribute.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Gloriouspa(m): 8:58pm On Jun 14, 2016
Onegai:

I wish I knew. That Fox tail palm looks really nice. Your best bet is Lagos, followed by calling up Santua in Benin city (Google his number).

You can add any plant breakdowns you want. Please feel free to contribute.

Thanks. I will try and get his contact.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 10:49pm On Jun 14, 2016
Onegai:

It is. How's your LO?
She's fine.
Growing bigger everyday.

Quick peek. smiley

4 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:30am On Jun 15, 2016
Gloriouspa:

Thanks. I will try and get his contact.

Please if you could come and write some contributions to the thread, identify some plants in your garden or maybe explain the proper way to care for grass lawns. By the way, what IS the proper name for Carpet grass?

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 15, 2016
LOL I dont think im that much experienced
Just trail and error sow some, kill some, enjoy some grin
That oxalis is absolutely gorgeous
Beautiful leaves and a deep rich colour
Let me ivestigate this plant more
Ive never seen it before

Meanwhile my garden was finally beginning to blossom small small
Then 3 days of heavy rain and wind has turned it into an untidy swamp. Petals everywhere
All my flowers are looking washed out
Arrrghhhhhh angry

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Gloriouspa(m): 7:36pm On Jun 15, 2016
Onegai:

Please if you could come and write some contributions to the thread, identify some plants in your garden or maybe explain the proper way to care for grass lawns. By the way, what IS the proper name for Carpet grass?

Axonopus fissifolius is a genus of plants within the grass family, generally known as carpet grass. They are primarily native to the sub-tropical and tropical regions of the Americans with a particular species in tropical Africa. The general name is still carpet grass.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Gloriouspa(m): 8:20pm On Jun 15, 2016
Grass planting and maintenance:

Immediately after grass planting, maintenance begins as well. The grass must be watered daily for effective gtowth, if the grass is planted during the raining season less water would be required as rain water is more effective than using water hose or sprinklers.

New weeds will be coming up and this will be taken care of at least every ten days interval till the grass is fully grown. Newly planted grass will take about five to six months to become fully grown with total care and maintenance which include constant watering, removal of weeds and replanting of non-survival grass. After which the mower can then be used over the grass to bring out its hidden beauty.

The lawn will then be ready for use for its purpose.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 11:39am On Jun 16, 2016
Gardening Basics

Let's start at the beginning.

Plants need 2 things to thrive: nutrients and water. Notice I didn't say sunlight or soil because there are plants that do well without sunlight (peace lilies etc) or soil (air plants exist which need moisture but no soil).

What's the basis of a good soil? Rich in nutrients. Now, if you live in Lagos, you don't naturally have good soil in your backyard (it's either alluvial or clay). Clay holds too much water and that can drown a plant (same as a human). A good soil 'drains' that means it is loose and allows water move freely through it. Which is why you can get soil and mix it with wood shavings, sand, dead leaves and grasses, so it loosens up. A good soil also have nutrients. You can buy fertiliser or use organic animal dung as manure (chicken poop, goat or coe dung). The easiest way to get soil in Lagos is to approach a gardener and buy a bag of it, N500 and tell them to mix it for you.

Tools

A simple trowel will do. I've attached a pic of mine, it costs N500 at GAME. Also, a plastic spoon and a metal fork. As you get advanced, you may want to get gardening gloves and pruners (Bypass and Anvil) and a shrub cutter. You can find all those in Nigeria. I believe Shoprite or GAME sell a Bypass pruner for N1000. That help in pruning (cutting away) dead or live branches (to encourage new growth or force the plant to send the nutrients to fruiting rather than flowering. More on that later). For florist-y people, floral scissors exist. But to be very honest, I spoke to a top-notch florist in the U.S. and he assured me a sharp knife was better than florist scissors (as it doesn't pinch the nerves of the cut flower so they can absorb nutrients after cutting). So tools are affordable.

Sprinklers and watering cans

You certainly don't need a watering can, But if you live abroad, your neighbours will look at you funny if you don't have one #JudgeyWhitePeople grin. Sprinklers are used with lawns but I've seen people rig a water tub with plastic bottle and use it.

Containers

Anything can be a container. Since most of us attend weddings where they hand out buckets as souvenirs, you don't even need to buy them.

Anyone else wanna add something?

Cc rhukie

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 12:21pm On Jun 16, 2016
Typha grass

Common names are Bulrushes or cattails. It's a grass we have growing right at the and of our street here (it tends to do well where there's a lot of water).

I hate this plant. I don't know why but it just looks so creepy to me (especially the brown bulb at the top). Urgh! I would cut it but it is public property and besides, our street is flooded right now (thank you rainy season). But guess what? It is an amazing grass.

It is edible to humans and animals so it is good for agricultural feed. It can be used as furniture, burnt as candle, used as a flotation device, for biofuel, to make paper, for treatment of ailments, infact the only thing it doesn't do is grow tomatoes and increase the price of crude oil. Which is a shame, really. But I still hate it.

Typha is very invasive: South Africa has banned it and Taraba state govt had to clear it off because it was blocking waterways and farmers were complaining.

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 1:55pm On Jun 16, 2016
Onegai:
Emary, touchmeder, Brandnew3, Goodyness, Ije004, Aghaibiam, hettetatattam, Cheechy, whom else am I missing?

My dear, if i have nothing much to add, i just come read and go. I still dey follow this thread like... cheesy

Okay so Lucy and co are doing well. Lucy is the best of the bunch i must confess. She is super versatile. I plucked her from the road side and she never waned one day. She was (still is)always green, cherry even with the half leaf state she came in. I think for beginners, you can try a dumbcane (remember if you have little children, you may want to skip it. Please go and read about the plant again if you missed what Onegai said about it at the start of this thread)

About a month and half ago, I got some flowers by the road side. Quite inexpensive and pretty. Pink, purple and white flowers blossomed for the first few days. I put them in black nylons to start off with then they began to wither. The ones that I didnt transfer from their original container held their own. So I guess the soil transfer thingy didnt work too well.

I guess the lesson is trying not to disturb them too much. I recall the guy who sold them getting them out of their original containers shaking the soil off them and giving me. We did that because they came in this big container and I didnt want to take all that load home. I got 2 little ones in pure water sachet containers. You wont believe because I put them whole (with their original soil encased around them) they have faired alot better than the others.

So sorry no pictures now. Last week, I moved them again from the black nylon bags to little green buckets. Lucy didnt shake onebit. The ones from the pure water sachet are still okay. I'm still watching the others to see how they get along. They are still limp from the first transfer so...

Then my snake plant really excited me. I yelled out like a child when I was doing the transfers and noticed the baby roots sprouting at the bottom. It was truly beautiful to see. I tell you that stuff works...

What else? Okay let them grow some more and i'll share pictures.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 2:08pm On Jun 16, 2016
A downside for me though are mosquitos. I have these plants on my front yard and boy do they attract mosquitos. When i mop around the area or water them, mosquitos dance around. Not cute but i'm coping fine for now so...

I'll probably transfer them out when they are stronger and bigger. All but Lucy...
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 2:54am On Jun 17, 2016
touchmeder:
A downside for me though are mosquitos. I have these plants on my front yard and boy do they attract mosquitos. When i mop around the area or water them, mosquitos dance around. Not cute but i'm coping fine for now so...

I'll probably transfer them out when they are stronger and bigger. All but Lucy...

That's sad to hear. How come they are attracting mosquitoes? Is there a lot of standing water in them? Mosquitoes sometimes like hiding under big leaves but your Lucy is still a smaller.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 20, 2016
Onegai, cococandy and other plant lovers

These are cut flowers all from my garden so no need for me to buy any flowers from the shops until October grin
Yay!

The red one is a lily
The purple one a lupin
The white one a calla lily
The long pink one is a latvera
The rest are different types and colours of roses
The white rose is called an Iceberg rose, Dont know what the other ones are called.

3 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 7:47pm On Jun 20, 2016
Wow! You're really walking the talk.

Those are all so gorgeous.

That pink rose can make me come for holiday in your house cheesy.
tearoses:
Onegai, cococandy and other plant lovers

These are cut flowers from my garden. No need to buy flowers from the shops now until October grin
Yay!

The red one is a lily
The purple one a lupin
The white one a calla lily
The long pink one is a latvera
The rest are different types and colours of roses
The white rose is called an Iceberg rose, Dont know what the other ones are called.
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Nobody: 7:49pm On Jun 20, 2016
cococandy:
Wow! You're really walking the talk.

Those are all so gorgeous.

Thanks dear kiss
How are you all doing

I cheated a bit though, all these flowers come back year after year
I just need to prune them in the Autumn or spring and just feed them
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 8:06pm On Jun 20, 2016
tearoses:

Thanks dear kiss
How are you all doing

I cheated a bit though, all these flowers come back year after year
I just need to prune them in the Autumn or spring and just feed them
We are fine thank you.

Yea but you still did the original work (planting etc) that is yielding these results now. I don't see the cheating here. You invested and now you're reaping the fruits.

I just use 'I'm too busy' (although I am grin)
as an excuse to not get off my butt and put my money where my mouth is.

Look at all that gorgeousness. I'm jealous embarassed
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 8:42pm On Jun 21, 2016
Gloriouspa, there are foxtail palms in Lagos. The nearest people selling them to you are at Magodo.

Tearoses, how lovely!
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 7:19pm On Jun 23, 2016
Onegai:

That's sad to hear. How come they are attracting mosquitoes? Is there a lot of standing water in them? Mosquitoes sometimes like hiding under big leaves but your Lucy is still a smaller.

I'm not really sure why. A lot of mosquitos in this region of mine. I grew up in Benin City and of course we had mosquitos but nothing close to what i've seen here. I recall playing around my mum's plant as a kid and I didnt get mosquitos rushing out. I mean its not like a swarm or something but if i water a plant, i'm sure to have like 5 or so mosquitos fly out. The containers have holes underneath and it does not retain water. I try to mop around the place when it rains so i'm not sure if its something i'm not doing. I think its just my area...
Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by touchmeder: 7:49pm On Jun 23, 2016
I wanted to encourage us with making do with our lovely tropical flowers. I want to share a story here, on my way to work there are some flowers that grow around wildly. A lot of my colleagues pass that spot but I guess no one takes notice cos it’s just flowers abi?

The other day I noticed a man tending the garden and I asked permission to pluck a flower. He obliged and once I arrived, I began to scavenge for a container for the flower. I finally settled for an empty coffee container and even the Office Assistant thought I’d gone bonkers when she saw me washing it!

Do you know everyone who walked into the office on that day asked about the flower? Some thought I got it from a lover grin grin grin
They all went, where did you get it, wowwwwwwww, the other corner, where, it’s a lie, it’s so pretty, what's the name, you mean you got it as you were coming, bla bla bla.

It didn’t matter it was in a funny looking glass jar or something. Immediately it came off the plant, it assumed a new dimension. The same plant they all walk past daily...

This just got me thinking. Sometimes we don’t really know what we have in our backyard or around us. These flowers may not come in all shapes and sizes or the most vibrant colours but we have amazing stuff as well. We have so many gorgeous tropical plants here but sometimes it just ends where it is, outside your gate. So something different... go on and people would ask and admire and perhaps you can teach them a thing or two...

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 7:07am On Jun 24, 2016
Touchmeder, thank you for sharing such a nice story with us. It brightened up everyone's day and in this economy, I believe we need such. Plus it's affordable.

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 1:36pm On Jun 27, 2016
Today is Baby E's birthday and we are all so glad and grateful to God for our little darling. May she continue to grow in happiness and wisdom and may all her days be filled with calm. Amen.

And I am taking down that picture in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3,2, 1

C.c zaynie, Tearoses, cococandy, zemaye, ifyalways

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by zaynie(f): 2:29pm On Jun 27, 2016
Onegai:
Today is Baby E's birthday and we are all so glad and grateful to God for our little darling. May she continue to grow in happiness and wisdom and may all her days be filled with calm. Amen.

C.c za ynie, Tearo.ses, cococ.andy, zema.ye, ifyalw.ays

No!!!!!!!!
No!!!!!!!!
No!!!!!!!!

I didnt see her cry embarassed

HappyBirthday Baby E,
I wish you a lifetime of happiness, good health and prosperity.
Remain the apple of your mom's eye. kiss

2 Likes

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by Onegai(f): 3:29pm On Jun 27, 2016
zaynie:

No!!!!!!!!
No!!!!!!!!
No!!!!!!!!

I didnt see her cry embarassed

HappyBirthday Baby E,
I wish you a lifetime of happiness, good health and prosperity.
Remain the apple of your mom's eye. kiss

1 Like

Re: The Hibiscus Flower Society: Calling All Gardeners, Flower Lovers Etc by cococandy(f): 4:06pm On Jun 27, 2016
Onegai:

happy birthday baby girl. kiss kiss kiss
May your days be filled with happiness and great achievement.

Aww. Cutie. Such a darling at 1.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27) (Reply)

Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / A Nairalander's Tour To The Farms And Major Markets In The Northern Nigeria. / Fish Pond Construction (concrete Pond)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.