Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

Are We Alone In The Universe? - Science/Technology (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Are We Alone In The Universe? (54324 Views)

The Look Of The Entire Universe In One Picture -awesome! / 10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by malvisguy212: 7:38am On Feb 03, 2016
erusen:
okay oh but u can trace the bible genealogy u know.
alright, I don't want to derailed this thread. Meet me here and mention were the bible contradicte science. https://www.nairaland.com/2381817/contradictions-analyzed-bible-quran
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by oglalasioux(m): 8:16am On Feb 03, 2016
YuckFou:

Unless none if it is real. Unless our world was programmed to think there is something else when in fact we r all there is.

Hmmm. So we've been programmed since Copernicus told the world that it's the sun rather than the earth that is at the center of the solar system. So we've been programmed since Galileo turned his telescope to the heavens and changed our view of the universe. So Newton and Einstein whose observation of the universe brought us so many development are wrong? Sorry, our earth is at the bottom of the milky way and insignificant.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Feb 03, 2016
Jaymaestro:
I think – believe it to be true until I see otherwise and what I have seen to be a global truth from the true source , then my thought will be affirmed .
Hello.

You are entitled to think whatever you want. But in your previous post, you said know. If you want your convictions/thoughts on physical issues to be accepted as Truth, then you have to present (scientific) evidence.

Since you just think, then it's ok. It is your right.

Greetings.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 12:32pm On Feb 03, 2016
LoJ:

Hello.

You are entitled to think whatever you want. But in your previous post, you said know. If you want your convictions/thoughts on physical issues to be accepted as Truth, then you have to present (scientific) evidence.

Greetings.

Not always true. For example, dark matter and dark energy
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
micodon:

Not always true. For example, dark matter and dark energy
Hello Micodon.

Dark matter and dark energy Have done what?

Cheers
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 2:13pm On Feb 03, 2016
LoJ:
Hello Micodon.
Dark matter and dark energy Have done what?
Cheers
Scientists say they exist. Scientists have no proof of their existence
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 2:29pm On Feb 03, 2016
djraymy:
i was looking at the sky yestarnight i saw a star cutted off and swing down straight.. What could caused that?..
Best guess is that was a meteor not a star
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Jaymaestro(m): 3:57pm On Feb 03, 2016
LoJ:

Hello.

Greetings.
nice . However, It's still a thought. sincerely, it is still an opinion which is a subjective truth based on existential notions and experiences.so, do you think we are alone, and should your statements rest on religious or scientific grounds?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by vivaciousvivi(f): 4:52pm On Feb 03, 2016
mrphysics:

All you wrote are assumptions, it lacks evidences. Anyone can assume . So go ahead
Hence the reason I used the word "may" constantly in my comment.
I don't ever remember alluding that my thoughts be accepted as facts. undecided
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by vivaciousvivi(f): 4:56pm On Feb 03, 2016
johnydon22:

Best guess is that was a meteor not a star
Isn't that phenomenon called Shooting Stars though?
Are they the same as meteors? I doubt John
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 5:40pm On Feb 03, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Isn't that phenomenon called Shooting Stars though?
Are they the same as meteors? I doubt John
Shooting Star are meteors that enters the earth's atmosphere and light up...the shoot speedily across ...

If an average star literally journeys into our solar system then thats the end of the system

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by vivaciousvivi(f): 5:46pm On Feb 03, 2016
johnydon22:
Shooting Star are meteors that enters the earth's atmosphere and light up...the shoot speedily across ...

If an average star literally journeys into our solar system then thats the end of the system
True @ average star comment. Thks
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 5:50pm On Feb 03, 2016
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Jimmyo3(m): 5:55pm On Feb 03, 2016
johnydon22:

You be Einstein o, help shed more light on time dilation and quantum entanglement.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 6:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
Jimmyo3:
help shed more light on time dilation and quantum entanglement.
[b]TIME DILATION

Time Dilation shows the relativity of time in relation to a stationary body and a body in motion..

If you are flying on a super sonic jet and measures the speed of light you will notice that the speed of light is exactly as measured by someone that is stationary carrying out the same measurement.

So what happens is that if you (the body in motion) measures light to be 299,792,458 m/s

And the body at rest measures exactly same, how could that be since you are in motion?

(Imagine you are driving and there is a car in front of you, the speed of the car to your own perception will be drastically different from that of a person at rest... Then how could light be different)

For the body in Motion time slows down.. A second of the body at rest may be half of that for the the body in motion.

So speed of light remains constant for both body in motion and at rest because Time slows down for the body in motion and so reconciles it with the Constant speed of light..

QUANTUM ENTANGLEMENT ..

The Quantum world reveals more than nothing the randomness of nature.. it shows us that the Laws of nature as we have observed in the macro universe doesn't apply to every part of nature.

Nature to me is one weird whole..

Two particles sharing information instantaneously .. If you spin one particle anti-clock wise the other particle or groups of particle will instantaneously do like-wise even though they are remarkably far from each other, it seems like or acts like 1 particle in 2 or more places at once.

The cause is that the Quantum state of the particles are interconnected that you cannot distinguish.

their are one and the same as regards Quantum state but spatially separate particles..
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 03, 2016
micodon:

Scientists say they exist. Scientists have no proof of their existence
Hello Micodon.

Which scientist said dark matter exists for sure and has presented no proof/scientific evidence? Could you please name some of those scientists who claimed something physical exists without providing evidence? Do you mistake a theory/hypothesis for a (scientific) fact?

Greetings.

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:50pm On Feb 03, 2016
LoJ:

Hello Micodon.

Which scientist said dark matter exists for sure and has presented no proof/scientific evidence? Could you please name some of those scientist who claimed something physical exists without providing evidence? Do you mistake a theory/hypothesis for a (scientific) fact?

Greetings.

Sometimes your enthusiasm spoils good topics. May I ask you the difference between a Theory and a Law?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 7:53pm On Feb 03, 2016
LoJ:

Hello Micodon.

Which scientist said dark matter exists for sure and has presented no proof/scientific evidence? Could you please name some of those scientist who claimed something physical exists without providing evidence? Do you mistake a theory/hypothesis for a (scientific) fact?

Greetings.

You do forget that one rule for having a scientific law is that it must be falsifiable
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Feb 03, 2016
micodon:
Sometimes your enthusiasm spoils good topics. May I ask you the difference between a Theory and a Law?
Hello Micodon. You free to disregard my posts and you're entitled to your judgments about me. As for I try as much as I can, to avoid name callings and disrespect.

With respect to your question: A Hypothesis/theory is a scientific proposal - yet to be verified via experimentation and verification - which aims at addressing a (scientific) problem. This definition is not all encompassing, but gives a faint idea of what I meant.

A scientific fact on the other hand is just that, a fact which upon experiment or research has been proven true beyond reasonable doubt. The Law of universal attraction and its consequence Gravity is a fact and can be scientifically demonstrated.

Again, everyone is free to think, believe whatever he is genuinely convinced about - provided he doesn't force it on others. But if a particular belief is to be accepted as Truth - especially in Science - it must be backed with scientific evidence/proofs. This a sane principle formulated by Euclid:

-What's asserted without proof can be denied without proof - Euclid

Greetings.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
Jaymaestro:
nice . However, It's still a thought. sincerely, it is still an opinion which is a subjective truth based on existential notions and experiences.so, do you think we are alone, and should your statements rest on religious or scientific grounds?
Thank you for your kind answer.

Scientifically the probability that we are alone, is very small. However how another form on life may exist/manifest itself we can't fathom.

With regards to religion, I do not believe in religion, neither do not consider religion to be synonymous to spirituality. I know however there is God. And I know there are other living beings in the multiverses. I have seen and interacted with some of them. Even right here on earth, there are beings that most of us human beings can't see.

Nonetheless these are personal experiences and shouldn't in anyway be seen as proof or non proof of the existence of extraterrestrial beings.

Greetings.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 8:17pm On Feb 03, 2016
LoJ:

Hello Micodon. You free to disregard my posts and you're entitled to your judgments about me. As for I try as much as I can, to avoid name callings and disrespect.

With respect to your question: A Hypothesis/theory is a scientific proposal - yet to be verified via experimentation and verification - which aims at addressing a (scientific) problem. This definition is not all encompassing, but gives a faint idea of what I meant.

A scientific fact on the other hand is just that, a fact which upon experiment or research has been proven true beyond reasonable doubt. The Law of universal attraction and its consequence Gravity is a fact and can be scientifically demonstrated.

Again, everyone is free to think, believe whatever he is genuinely convinced about - provided he doesn't force it on others. But if a particular belief is to be accepted as Truth - especially in Science - it must be backed with scientific evidence/proofs. This a sane principle formulated by Euclid:

-What's asserted without proof can be denied without proof - Euclid

Greetings.

Then, Einstein in his relativity theories showed That Gravity is not the attraction between two bodies. That it is a warp in spacetime. So, fact?

You need to know that what we accept as fact today, may have limitations because of our present methods. Example, Dalton's atomic theories were accepted as fact, but were later modified. Water is colorless was accepted as fact. What we see Fact doesn't necessarily mean that it's true.

1 Like

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Feb 03, 2016
micodon:

Then, Einstein in his relativity theories showed That Gravity is not the attraction between two bodies. That it is a warp in spacetime. So, fact?

You need to know that what we accept as fact today, may have limitations because of our present methods. Example, Dalton's atomic theories were accepted as fact, but were later modified. Water is colorless was accepted as fact. What we see Fact doesn't necessarily mean that it's true.
Yes Micodon.

Science is not perfect. Science is a work in progress. But at least, at any point in time, BEFORE a theory may be accepted as true, there should be some evidence.

I never claimed there are no mistake in Science. However Experiments and criticism helps to correct those mistakes. So yes Science in a Work in progress. That should not be by no means, a pretext not to prove anything!

It like saying mean should not wear condoms to protect themselves, because one man still got aids despite wearing one.

Yes there are scientific mistakes and correction. It does not mean every opinion should be considered as a fact, without proof nor evidence. As simple as that.

Cheers.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 8:24pm On Feb 03, 2016
LoJ:

Yes Micodon.

Science is not perfect. Science is a work in progress. But at least, at any point in time, BEFORE a theory may be accepted as true, there should be some evidence.

I never claimed there are no mistake in Science. However Experiments and criticism helps to correct those mistakes. So yes Science in a Work in progress. That should not be by no means, a pretext not to prove anything!

It like saying mean should not wear condoms to protect themselves, because one man still got aids despite wearing one.

Yes there are scientific mistakes and correction. It does not mean every opinion should be considered as a fact, without proof nor evidence. As simple as that.

Cheers.

Thank God you see the point
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Feb 03, 2016
micodon:

Thank God you see the point
Which point? I never claimed Science was perfect.

In case you forgot, my point from the post of the other brother was and still is:

- Everyone is entitled to his beliefs/thoughts about anything. But if any belief is to be held as absolute Truth - as far as the physical is concerned -, then there must be some scientific evidence.

I do not see whatever you said or I said that proves this false or inappropriate.

Greetings.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 8:31pm On Feb 03, 2016
LoJ:

Which point? I never claimed Science was perfect.

In case you forgot, my point from the post of the other brother was and still is:

- Everyone is entitled to his beliefs/thoughts about anything. But if any belief is to be held as absolute Truth - as far as the physical is concerned -, then there must be some scientific evidence.

I do not see whatever you said or I said that proves this false or inappropriate.

Greetings.

Bros, you were inferring that evidence makes stuff true.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Feb 03, 2016
micodon:
Bros, you were inferring that evidence makes stuff true.
Please would you mind quoting where I wrote that? I may have forgotten. If I ever wrote anything like that, then it's a typing mistake, for it is not my belief.

But still, please quote where I wrote that, so that I can correct.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by micodon(m): 9:06pm On Feb 03, 2016
LoJ:

Please would you mind quoting where I wrote that? I may have forgotten. If I ever wrote anything like that, then it's a typing mistake, for it is not my belief.

But still, please quote where I wrote that, so that I can correct.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

Inferring
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Feb 03, 2016
Double post.
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 03, 2016
micodon:
Inferring
Yeah. Please quote where I did infer that. Although it is inferring there has to be clear english words that indicate the inferring. To the best of my knowledge I have solely defended the opinion that for any hypothesis to be proposed as Truth, there has to be a minimum of scientific evidence.

Unless you just guessed what my thoughts could be and based your opinion on that.

And as I said earlier, I'm willing to correct any sentence where I stipulated or inferred that evidence in science equals definite truth.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Jimmyo3(m): 8:29am On Feb 04, 2016
johnydon22:
[b]TIME DILATION

Time Dilation shows the relativity of time in relation to a stationary body and a body in motion..

If you are flying on a super sonic jet and measures the speed of light you will notice that the speed of light is exactly as measured by someone that is stationary carrying out the same measurement.

So what happens is that if you (the body in motion) measures light to be 299,792,458 m/s

And the body at rest measures exactly same, how could that be since you are in motion?

(Imagine you are driving and there is a car in front of you, the speed of the car to your own perception will be drastically different from that of a person at rest... Then how could light be different)

For the body in Motion time slows down.. A second of the body at rest may be half of that for the the body in motion.

So speed of light remains constant for both body in motion and at rest because Time slows down for the body in motion and so reconciles it with the Constant speed of light..

QUANTUM ENTANGLEMENT ..

The Quantum world reveals more than nothing the randomness of nature.. it shows us that the Laws of nature as we have observed in the macro universe doesn't apply to every part of nature.

Nature to me is one weird whole..

Two particles sharing information instantaneously .. If you spin one particle anti-clock wise the other particle or groups of particle will instantaneously do like-wise even though they are remarkably far from each other, it seems like or acts like 1 particle in 2 or more places at once.

The cause is that the Quantum state of the particles are interconnected that you cannot distinguish.

their are one and the same as regards Quantum state but spatially separate particles..
[/b]
In appreciation I say a big thanks to you. Could time dilation be the scientific explanation to disappearance/vanishing?
Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by johnydon22(m): 8:34am On Feb 04, 2016
Jimmyo3:
In appreciation I say a big thanks to you. Could time dilation be the scientific explanation to disappearance/vanishing?
You know science has never observed anybody disappear so i wouldn't know..
(But it is possible)

People disappearing has always been trade mark of hear-says, stories, claims, magic shows and movies, so until someone comes and pulls it off right in front of us for studying it is just bogus as long as science is concerned..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are We Alone In The Universe? by Jaymaestro(m): 2:50pm On Feb 04, 2016
LoJ:

Thank you for your kind answer.

Scientifically the probability that we are alone, is very small. However how another form on life may exist/manifest itself we can't fathom.

With regards to religion, I do not believe in religion, neither do not consider religion to be synonymous to spirituality. I know however there is God. And I know there are other living beings in the multiverses. I have seen and interacted with some of them. Even right here on earth, there are beings that most of us human beings can't see.

Nonetheless these are personal experiences and shouldn't in anyway be seen as proof or non proof of the existence of extraterrestrial beings.

Greetings.
There are no current scientific discoveries on the possibility of any form of life on other planets.

thus, Christianity shouldn't be seen as a religion cause it leads to a path of the the divine or spirituality of self through the holy spirit .How could you have interacted with other living beings from other worlds?[ I hope you aren't referring to ghosts] lol .. what beings[ the mythical beings from different cultures ] ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

The Puff Adder We Killed Under My Neighbour's Orange Tree This Morning / Solar Eclipse Hits Nigeria (Video) / How To Install Solar Panels & Inverter For Home-step By Step Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.