Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,081 members, 7,957,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:21 AM

The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria (30898 Views)

Largest Ethnic Group In Southern Nigeria? / Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? / Nigerian Fulani Militants Named As Fourth Deadliest Terror Group In World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 07, 2016
joeprince23:
ogbia is not in any family as ogoni and certainly not efik(do you even know what efik is?) Secondly large parts of ekeremor is actually isoko commnities so I'm not wrong. FYI: there are ethnic ekpeyes in bayelsa(and in ogbia lga, not kolo,)

Google is your friend...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_River_languages
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Kyase(m): 12:05pm On Feb 07, 2016
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by NDPVF(m): 12:07pm On Feb 07, 2016
[s]
Tinubutoto:

pls, I am at Abak road, come let me take u to where Eastern Obolo people are here in Uyo so u can confirm from them.
[/s] Ask people here, i don't hide from challenge. I already told the other guy Eteedoho that i travelled out of the state. Am in Abuja right now for something very import.i would have loved to drive down there and met ediot like u. Those people are ijaws who settled in eastern obolo. Stop looking for trouble.u ijaws are troublesome. U fight itsekiri and urhobo in Delta state. You trouble Bini's in Edo, you grab igbo peoples properties in PH,you quarell with yorubas in Ondo.you fight with Ogoni people. Now you want to bring ur madtness here. You will be demolished here,lets be.

20 Likes

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by EternalTruths: 12:15pm On Feb 07, 2016
aminho:
its Kanuri /kəˈnuːri/[3] is a dialect continuum spoken by some four million people, as of 1987, in Nigeria, Niger, Chad and Cameroon, as well as small minorities in southern Libya and by a diaspora in Sudan. It belongs to the Western Saharan subphylum of Nilo-Saharan. Kanuri is the language associated with the Kanem and Bornu empires which dominated the Lake Chad region for a thousand years.
they are more than 10 million now

In Nigeria excluding other countries.

Kanuri is not as populous as others.

1 Like

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by EternalTruths: 12:16pm On Feb 07, 2016
Kyase:

The Tiv are the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. Tiv language is spoken by about 7 million people in Nigeria, with a few speakers in Cameroon.

http://howng.com/tiv-people-and-their-culture/

Check that fact again

Don't forget to limit your study to Nigeria.
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by EternalTruths: 12:20pm On Feb 07, 2016
sirade:
It is only on nairaland you hear of Ijaw.

Infact in a place like Lagos you can stay upto 2years without seeing an Ijaw man or woman.

Fact; jonathan brought ijaw nation to federal limelight.

Very true.

You see more Akwa Ibomites than Ijaws or Tivs or Kanuris in Lagos.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by joeprince23(m): 12:21pm On Feb 07, 2016
tobimillar:

Google is your friend...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_River_languages
oga I'm telling you facts on ground and you are saying google is my friend,are you for real? This is nigeria oo,wake up. its

1 Like

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Wizprodigy: 12:22pm On Feb 07, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
@OP this isn't a question pls!

How can you compare the population of Tiv and Ijaw? Ijaw that is present in Rivers, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom, Edo, Delta and Ondo states? The reason behind this argument(non argument really) is because Ijaws have been balkanised by the Nigeria State into different states(some states as minorities). This is why we are agitating for Toru Ibe and Oil Rivers states. Ijaws deserve 3 exclusive Ijaws states to tell its status.

In fact, it shall not be well with the British
No ijaws are in Akwa ibom period.

10 Likes

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 07, 2016
Kyase:

Its not ijaw of course
then who?
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by ANTONINEUTRON(m): 12:26pm On Feb 07, 2016
Kyase:

The Tiv are the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. Tiv language is spoken by about 7 million people in Nigeria, with a few speakers in Cameroon.

http://howng.com/tiv-people-and-their-culture/
What is the population of tivs in benue state nd d minorities in taraba

Ijaw or kanuri are d real fourth
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Kyase(m): 12:28pm On Feb 07, 2016
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Kyase(m): 12:29pm On Feb 07, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

Wikipedia is your Friend
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:32pm On Feb 07, 2016
Kyase:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijaw_people

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiv_people

Check for yourself
but delta & Edo have almost dsame population.. And Ijaw is just only some part of delta.. I don't know shall
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by warripekin(m): 12:33pm On Feb 07, 2016
Tinubutoto:

u r nothing but a fool.
Itsekiri total population is not up to Burutu local government in Delta State.
IJAW and Itsekiri as well as Isoko are all in Delta South senatorial district. ask yo self how many local government does Itsekiri have on it's own? none. Out of the 8 local government areas know delta south, Ijaw has 4 1/2, dat is senator manager has been in the senate for 4 tenures now
Please mind Ur write up, ijaws have three LGAs in delta state in reality. Even burutu LGA is a tiny island LGA with not up to 1500 inhabitants. In fact burutu was made an LGA because of the burutu port and was a flagship port formally run by johnholts in the time past.bomadi LGA is another sparsely populated lga
. in warri south west LGA , of the abt 12 wards that make up the LGA, itsekiris control 8wards and even the four or so wards controlled by I jaws are tsekiri ancestral lands. From omadino, okereghigho, to ogbeijaw are itsekiri ancestral lands. Like some one said here, tsekiris are mores than ijaws in delta state.at least they are in warri south , warri north, warri south west, part of uhwie LGA ( ogbolokoso) and okpe LGA ( sapele). Ijaws can not be the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria, where u have the ibibios, tivs, kanuris etc. The uhrobo nation I believe is even more populous than ijaws. Though some ijaws may claim they are spread in over four states in Nigeria, but the truth of the matter is that the are only saying that to grab space and relevance. We must also note that bayelsa comprises only 8 lga s and they are not homogeneously ijaw. Ogbia LGA are not ijaws and u still find isoko people in sagbama LGA .Even in rivers, an opobo man will rather claim Igbo than ijaw, same goes for bonny ppl at least from my work experience in these environment.

11 Likes

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Kyase(m): 12:35pm On Feb 07, 2016
Ighoga898:

but delta & Edo have almost dsame population.. And Ijaw is just only some part of delta.. I don't know shall

Yea,
And the TIVs are the Fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:37pm On Feb 07, 2016
joeprince23:
oga I'm telling you facts on ground and you are saying google is my friend,are you for real? This is nigeria oo,wake up. its
Facts on ground?? That ogbia speak igboid language?? You obviously don't know ogbia... just take a tour around those ogbia communities I mentioned earlier and tell me they speak igboid... please please don't misinformed people... the language of otuasega, otuakeme, imiringi, otuabula, otueke, kolo, opuama and other ogbia communities Is not IGBOID ooo!! Haba!!! The only difference is odual after otuasega, they speak a language different from mainstream ogbia

1 Like

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Olabestonic001(m): 12:38pm On Feb 07, 2016
Kyase:
Nairalanders please which is? Tiv or ijaw ? Wikipedia. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiv_people
How Did Ijaw Become The 4th Largest Ethnic Group

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijaw_people

https://www.nairaland.com/891977/how-did-ijaw-4th-largest
Tonyebarcanista, Afam4eva

Ethnic groups: Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, is composed of more than 250 ethnic groups; the following are the most populous and politically influential: Hausa and Fulani 29%, Yoruba 21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%, Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5% Definition: This entry provides an ordered listing of ethnic groups starting with the largest and normally includes the percent of total population. Source: CIA World Factbook - This page was last updated on June 30, 2015

www.indexmundi.com/nigeria/ethnic_groups.html

4 Likes

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Kyase(m): 12:46pm On Feb 07, 2016
Olabestonic001:

Ethnic groups: Nigeria, Africa's most
populous country, is composed of more
than 250 ethnic groups; the following are
the most populous and politically
influential
: Hausa and Fulani 29%, Yoruba
21%, Igbo (Ibo) 18%, Ijaw 10%, Kanuri 4%,
Ibibio 3.5%, Tiv 2.5%
Definition: This entry provides an ordered
listing of ethnic groups starting with the
largest and normally includes the percent
of total population.
Source: CIA World Factbook - This page
was last updated on June 30, 2015

www.indexmundi.com/nigeria/ethnic_groups.html
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by warripekin(m): 12:48pm On Feb 07, 2016
ANTONINEUTRON:

I believe ibibios, tivs and kanuris are likely the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria. In Benue state, tics control 2 senatorial zones overwhelmingly and u also find them in nasarawa states and taraba States. The ibibios are also in large numbers in cross river and akwaibom states.in born state, the kanuris are in large numbers but u also have the biu ethnic group who are mostly Christians and the shua Arabs . there is also a large Hausa community in these places. Like born like yobe.

2 Likes

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by telim: 12:50pm On Feb 07, 2016
The fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria should be Nupe and not Ijaw or Tiv. Tiv population can never be larger than the Nupes' except the Tivs include the Idomas and Agatus in their head count.
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Pwayne2016(m): 12:57pm On Feb 07, 2016
Ijaw what People wey no dey travel.. Is very hard to see a man from Ijaw...Fulani is de 4th largest followed by Kanuri,even hausa people dey refer Ijaws as Igbos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:59pm On Feb 07, 2016
Kyase:

Yea,
And the TIVs are the Fourth largest ethnic group in Nigeria
so its not Ijaw
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Kyase(m): 1:01pm On Feb 07, 2016
Ighoga898:

so its not Ijaw
......As that
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by mrMeen(m): 1:12pm On Feb 07, 2016
1st-Hausawa
2-Yurobas
3-Fulanis
4-Kanuris
5-Ijaws
6-Tivs
7-EgbOs cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by JANK23H(m): 1:38pm On Feb 07, 2016
Ni
joeprince23:
The problem I have with people mentioning “ijaw” is firstly ijo is not an ethnic nationality but rather a conglomorate of riverine people in southern nigeria. Izon however is an ethnic nationality found mostly at kolokuma/opokuma and southern ijaw LGA's of present bayelsa state. Even to bayelsans a man from ekeremo lga is not core-ijo but rather ijoid(correctly he is isoko by tribe),larger chunk of ogbia lga is not izon but epkeye(igbo/igboid group from neigbouring rivers state. Secondly there is no general ijo language or linguistic(like hausa,igbo,yoruba etc),many places people regard as ijaw that are far away from izon in kolokuma actually speak different languages from their larger cousins eg. Ekeremo lg speak urhobo/isoko easthern ogbia lga speak ekpeye igbo(the type spoken in ahoada) opobo speak central igbo,bonny speak ibani and igbo. FYI: any person that visited oilmill market in port-harcourt prior to the creation of bayelsa state will understand what I mean. In many rural communities of bayelsa state igbo is still the lingua-franca,peremabiri in southern ijaw is one of few major towns that is ijo in the real sense,even kolo town is not talkless of nembe. I rest my case
Close that slit you call a mouth! Where did you get these rubbish from?
There is no where in Bayelsa igbo language is spoken as a lingua-franca. Besides any urhobo/isoko you find on Ijaw soil are settlers and have no claim to land,there are lots of them in my LGA Sagbama.Ekeremor is purely Ijaw and so are other parts of Bayelsa.

The Ijaw ethnic group is made up of over 20 clans and kolokumo is our central language. Don't say what you don't know.

3 Likes

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 07, 2016
Ugomba:
Ijaws Are NOT the 4th largest tribe.
- The Oil Rivers and Toru-Ibe states that they are agitating for is Controversial, because many lands they put in the map of these proposed two agitated states DO NOT BELONG TO THEM.

hw far, long tym.. just gave Nl a break... can you explain d bolded ?

Am patiently waiting.. To me ijaw population is more than tiv.. ijaw should be around 8million people why we re d 5th..
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Kyase(m): 1:40pm On Feb 07, 2016
mrMeen:
1st-Hausawa

2-Yurobas

3-Fulanis

4-Kanuris

5-Ijaws

6-Tivs

7-EgbOs cheesy cheesy
The look for trouble you hear

1 Like

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Kyase(m): 1:42pm On Feb 07, 2016
Goodboiyy:

hw far, long tym.. just gave Nl a break... can you explain d bolded ?

Am patiently waiting.. To me ijaw population is more than tiv.. ijaw should be around 8million people why we re d 5th..
The TIVs are 13million plus.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/tiv_people
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:42pm On Feb 07, 2016
mrMeen:
1st-Hausawa

2-Yurobas

3-Fulanis

4-Kanuris

5-Ijaws

6-Tivs

7-EgbOs cheesy cheesy

On the real sense Igbo population is more than Yoruba , if not Hausa too... Igbo account 4 about 30% of all Community in Nigeria.. do d maths ur self..

Ps: Am nt igbo oo..

here is the full list

1. Hausa
2. Igbo
3. Yoruba
4. Ijo
5. Urhobo
6. Tiv

we need to do real census again

10 Likes

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by beejaymoore(m): 1:47pm On Feb 07, 2016
EteEdoho:
it's quite annoying. Am from Eket. Afaha Eket to be precise.

Cool place... Stayed dere n 2011
Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by JANK23H(m): 1:50pm On Feb 07, 2016
EternalTruths:

Very true.

You see more Akwa Ibomites than Ijaws or Tivs or Kanuris in Lagos.
That is because Ijaws have a way of blending into their environment without being spotted and they tend to mind their business. More so, most went back to Bayelsa immediately the state was created. If you were around in the 70s and 80s you would have seen so many of them around apapa, ajegunle and ebutemetta area of Lagos. They also dominated the Nigeria Navy within those periods I mentioned.

1 Like

Re: The Fourth Largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria by DerideGull(m): 1:53pm On Feb 07, 2016
Ugomba:
Ijaws Are NOT the 4th largest tribe.
- The Oil Rivers and Toru-Ibe states that they are agitating for is Controversial, because many lands they put in the map of these proposed two agitated states DO NOT BELONG TO THEM.

Per the highlighted in color, Oil Rivers have absolutely nothing to do with Ijo and not even in Ijos' freaking dreams.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Government Calls New York Policemen On Anti-buhari Protesters / ”seek Other Avenues For Your Relevance”: Nigeria Army Blasts Gov Fayose / Boko Haram Terrorists Ambush Soldiers In Borno, Scores Feared Killed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.