Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,809 members, 7,813,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons (25517 Views)

Sudden One Month Quit Notice: Please We Need Advice On Solution / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Does My Landlord Has The Right To Ask Me To Quit Without Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Dinocarex(m): 10:22pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

Good u paid into his account but next time endeavor to get ur receipts cous he could still deny the payment as ur rent.

Go plead with ur landlord(which in my case I won't do), if he refuses don't fret about it.
When the 1 month elapses, he will certainly come again then tell him u ve not got a place yet nd u need extra 5month to complete the mandatory 6month.

Sure with this he would get where u re driving to, if u like when it's 6month take him court, this will give u another 6month to 1yr free accommodation.

Just start making arrangements for funds to move cous the above ain't going to be easy, the landlord will find every way to make ur living there Hell...

I get your point bro, but let me make an observation. The house rent is yearly tenancy, but the act of paying 3 months first as revoked the yearly tenancy. No 6 months will be given as Quit notice period.
I will advice him to go and beg the Landlady stating why it won't be feasible to pack just like that stating some factors.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Wendyslim(f): 10:22pm On Feb 10, 2016
Dont pack except he give u reason for the ejection. Dont worry u will soon be a landlord
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Agromuda(m): 10:23pm On Feb 10, 2016
Kindly visit any office of the public defender. "Citizen mediation Center" surf the Web to know their closest office to your area. Thank me later!!! Pele bro!!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 10:24pm On Feb 10, 2016
angels09:

You paid 3 months thereby turning yourself to a tenant @ will.... One month is all you can get....
I don't get you properly. You mean because my current rent only deserve one month?
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by dhardline(m): 10:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
Since your last payment was for 3months then am sorry to disappoint you cause all you'll be given is 1month and 2weeks.Only those who pay yearly get 6 months.

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by linearity: 10:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
Na wao! If them wake up to baff around 4am, you should wake up around 3am or 2am or even take your bath the night prior.

This is a temporary housing for you, so some temporary pains are okay.

Technically, the landlady can't evict you like that, if you are up to date on your rent, go and explain the situation to her, eat the humble pie for now, while you are focus on the bigger picture, switch your bathing time, so that you can avoid conflicts with this other lady. The truth is, it is not worth the trouble.

6 Likes

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Ninilowo(m): 10:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
It's better you go go jeje. Am pretty sure that an imminent danger has been averted Buh you may not know. We have read so many horrible stories between tenants here on this forum. So just thank your God and run around to get money for another apartment probably a mini flat ds time around. All the best!

3 Likes

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by aribisala0(m): 10:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
Do not not follow foolish advice and try to live in another man's house free by force. You may die in the process. Just jejely pack and go if your rent has expired.

4 Likes

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 10:27pm On Feb 10, 2016
sexysegggs:

I don't get you properly. You mean because my current rent only deserve one month?
If you had been paying rent say annually then you can be entitled to 6 months

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Atlantian: 10:27pm On Feb 10, 2016
The 3 months you paid automatically reduces your free stay to 1month and 2 weeks. If you pay annually, the grace period is 6 months which is half of 12 months, but since you paid 3 months, your grace period is legally a month and 2 week. Make hay or beg.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Crownofwealth(m): 10:27pm On Feb 10, 2016
here is my advice.if ur last rent is 3 months u became a quarterly tenant and deserves a 3months notice bt if ur last rent is jst one month or pay rent monthly either in advance or in arrears u are therefore a monthly tenant and ur landlord was right to give u a one month notice to quit.however note that at the expiration of the seven days notice to quit u are also entitled to another seven days notice called seven days notice to tenant of owners intention to apply to court to recover possession.after the expiration of this second seven days notice before ur landlord can proceed to court. hope thus helps.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 10:28pm On Feb 10, 2016
ladyF:
If u no like wahala, when you get money just move, you don't have to wait for 6 months because you will be dealing with harassment everyday. God go bless all of us sha, we go build houses and buy jet IJN.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
Packing out is not the problem but where will I pack to? I'm thinking of working for two or more months to gather some money for another apartment.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 10:29pm On Feb 10, 2016
dhardline:
Since your last payment was for 3months then am sorry to disappoint you cause all you'll be given is 1month and 2weeks.Only those who pay yearly get 6 months.
Crownofwealth:
here is my advice.if ur last rent is 3 months u became a quarterly tenant and deserves a 3months notice bt if ur last rent is jst one month or pay rent monthly either in advance or in arrears u are therefore a monthly tenant and ur landlord was right to give u a one month notice to quit.however note that at the expiration of the seven days notice to quit u are also entitled to another seven days notice called seven days notice to tenant of owners intention to apply to court to recover possession.after the expiration of this second seven days notice before ur landlord can proceed to court. hope thus helps.
Atlantian:
The 3 months you paid automatically reduces your free stay to 1month and 2 weeks. If you pay annually, the grace period is 6 months which is half of 12 months, but since you paid 3 months, your grace period is legally a month and 2 week. Make hay or beg.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by menix(m): 10:30pm On Feb 10, 2016
Dinocarex:

I get your point bro, but let me make an observation. The house rent is yearly tenancy, but the act of paying 3 months first as revoked the yearly tenancy. No 6 months will be given as Quit notice period.
I will advice him to go and beg the Landlady stating why it won't be feasible to pack just like that stating some factors.

Are u saying there is a law that states u can quit me with a month notice?

Thou d young man gat no funds else a lawyer could buy him time.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 10:31pm On Feb 10, 2016
ladyF:
If u no like wahala, when you get money just move, you don't have to wait for 6 months because you will be dealing with harassment everyday. God go bless all of us sha, we go build houses and buy jet IJN.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
everybody buy jet? U dey vex ooo!
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by schweinsteiger: 10:31pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

Good u paid into his account but next time endeavor to get ur receipts cous he could still deny the payment as ur rent.

Go plead with ur landlord(which in my case I won't do), if he refuses don't fret about it.
When the 1 month elapses, he will certainly come again then tell him u ve not got a place yet nd u need extra 5month to complete the mandatory 6month.

Sure with this he would get where u re driving to, if u like when it's 6month take him court, this will give u another 6month to 1yr free accommodation.

Just start making arrangements for funds to move cous the above ain't going to be easy, the landlord will find every way to make ur living there Hell...
Best Advice

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 10:32pm On Feb 10, 2016
angels09:

If you had been paying rent say annually then you can be entitled to 6 months
My first payment was annual. I have not used up to two years in this same house. When my rents expired last year October, I quickly paid in three months promising to balance him this month.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by lastpage: 10:33pm On Feb 10, 2016
sexysegggs:

She finally succeed in helping the landlord to quit me from the room through her lies and others. My rent expired last month and I was called last night that I should quit the room in the next one month. Please what should I do? I'm in state of confusion now and depression. Right now, I couldn't afford to rent another room.

We have not heard from your Landlady so all these story might just be one-sided, made to make your Landlady look bad.

But then, let us give you the benefit of doubt.

Questions:
1.) How long have you been in this same house?

2.) Do you pay yearly or Monthly? Your last payment was from when-to-when?

3.) Do you have a rent receipt?

4.) Are you owing any rent before now?

5.) How many people are in that house, that use the same bathroom?

6.) Was that "discussion about who should bath first" with your Landlady, done in an "aggressive tone" or with decorum (gentle manner)?

Now, There are three routes:
Long Route 1:
if you are a yearly tenant, your Landlady MUST give you SIX MONTHS NOTICE, to quit.
If you pay monthly, then you are only entitled to One Month Notice.
After that, she will give you another One MONTH, if you are still there, then ONE WEEK after which she will go to court to seek an EVICTION ORDER (Must be issued by a Court).
The Court will serve you a NOTICE to hear your own side of the story and may make or not make that order.

Long Route 2:
Go to the nearest Mediation Centre to your house and inform them of this situation.
They will invite your Landlady and ask her to state her case.
Their duty is to help both of you reach a reconciliation/agreement, without going to court.
They dont take cases that are already in court so you must decide which one you want (Court or Mediation)

Short Route: Ask someone to speak with your Landlady and tell her that you were no trying to "cause her trouble" but just trying to find a way that you and her can have your baths without disturbing each other.
Explain to her that it just happens that she wants to bath when you also want to bath and that can she give you a particular time she thinks the bathroom will be available for you to bath before you go to work in the morning, without conflicting with hers?

Try sooth her ego, beg her and act the "foolish" for now, since you are not in a position to rent another house now and[b] l know what "stress and anxiety" it is causing you right now.[/b]

I hope one of these methods works for you.

Lastpage!

BTW: other underhand tactics:

a.) If she get "matured daughter", befriend her and impregnate her (be ready to marry her sha o!).... you are now her in-law and she cant throw you out! shocked shocked grin grin

b.) If she be "Fine Mama" and you nor mind, befriend her and your rent might just be "paid upfront" for as long as you dey knack correct-correct! shocked
But keep the House rents somewhere because the day wey she vex, you will need the money to rent another house, in a jiffy! grin grin

NB: I do not endorse any of the last two strategies even though they work like a charm, grin l saw them in my dreams!
It wasn't me.... lipsrsealed undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by menix(m): 10:34pm On Feb 10, 2016
Dinocarex:

He paid a year before paying for 3 months after the expiration of the 1 yr.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by MisterLawyer: 10:34pm On Feb 10, 2016
To start with, I'm not a lawyer but a law student. so I think I'm still in a position to give you a little legal advice.
Are you a yearly, Quarterly, or Monthly tenant??

if you are a Yearly tenant, by law, you need to be given 6 month earlier notice. and If may be you are a quarterly tenant, you need to be given 3 months notice before your eviction.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by tosyne2much(m): 10:34pm On Feb 10, 2016
OP, all I can say is that you should subscribe to the advice of Menix and CertifiedFreak
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by mayorkyzo: 10:35pm On Feb 10, 2016
Those o u telling him he has 6months to quit are wrong...6months notice is for a yearly tenant..so since e paid for 3months and is already OWING the landlord can give him a month notice..just negotiate with the landlord..going to court is in nobody's interest..cos no matter what you would still leave and d months you staying ain't for free..

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sheubaba2013: 10:35pm On Feb 10, 2016
The case is simple, take the landlord to human right office or better still meet a lawyer. The landlord have to give u a 6 months quit notice according to the law and after that 6 months u still have an additional 3 months. We have to know the law very well and act accordingly.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by LKO(m): 10:36pm On Feb 10, 2016
Was a tenancy agreement signed between u and d landlord? Six months quit notice is not automatic, if u signed a shorter quit notice with d landlord, the court would honour that agreement. Again, by paying three months rent into ur landlord's account, u are no longer a yearly tenant. That single action of yours, now entitles u to only three months quit notice. I presume the money u paid last October was to cover u for October November and December. If this is d case, u still have until next month to quit.

I suggest u look for a new room else where. The money u want to use to renew your rent, use it to pay else where. No need for court case all because of one room. If u dnt have a lawyer in ur house to fight ur cause for u, forget it, u would spend money engaging a lawyer, no lawyer would do anything for u free.

Beg your landlord to look u till say April, and gather money to move out. This is my kind opinion.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by arabianights: 10:36pm On Feb 10, 2016
sexysegggs:
I rented a house where a friend solicit on my behalf through a woman called mama Mary. My friend met this woman to beg since we heard that the landlady doesn't want single tenant.

The struggle started as to who take bath in the bathroom. She compete with me for the bathroom just like waking up all her four kids as early as 4:00am, taking their bath one after the other for hours. But she and her kids works and school at three buildings distance from our compound. This woman (mama Mary) is a fellow tenant as I do. In fact, just a wall separates my room from hers. There was a time I went to meet her explaining reasons why she need to allow me take my bath first since where I work is far. Surprisingly, my plead finally cause enmity between us.

She finally succeed in helping the landlord to quit me from the room through her lies and others. My rent expired last month and I was called last night that I should quit the room in the next one month. Please what should I do? I'm in state of confusion now and depression. Right now, I couldn't afford to rent another room.

you have no problem,my dear.approach a Lawyer. One month Notice?joke
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by flokii: 10:36pm On Feb 10, 2016
sexysegggs:

But we are just four tenants

that makes it... 'face me I slap you half' lol

buh you sef try get flat.. to avoid tenant wahala
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by moshould(m): 10:36pm On Feb 10, 2016
U sure say u neva cure d landlord daughter?
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by menix(m): 10:37pm On Feb 10, 2016
mayorkyzo:
Those o u telling him he has 6months to quit are wrong...6months notice is for a yearly tenant..so since e paid for 3months and is already OWING the landlord can give him a month notice..just negotiate with the landlord..going to court is in nobody's interest..cos no matter what you would still leave and d months you staying ain't for free..

Oga dele, he paid a year rent before paying for 3month..

Re u saying the 3 months he paid afterwards denies him his rights
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Crownofwealth(m): 10:39pm On Feb 10, 2016
mayorkyzo:
wrong advice
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 10:40pm On Feb 10, 2016
try as much as possible to persuade him to let him say it with is mouth that he collected the three months rent from you which you paid into his account, while both of you are discussing this issue make sure your phone is on voice record so that you will use that as evidence against him. orelse your are a gonner.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 10:42pm On Feb 10, 2016
linearity:
Na wao! If them wake up to baff around 4am, you should wake up around 3am or 2am or even take your bath the night prior.

This is a temporary housing for you, so some temporary pains are okay.

Technically, the landlady can't evict you like that, if you are up to date on your rent, go and explain the situation to her, eat the humble pie for now, while you are focus on the bigger picture, switch your bathing time, so that you can avoid conflicts with this other lady. The truth is, it is not worth the trouble.
Funny enough, the woman do study when I wake up. It really generate to other lies like not sleeping the compound. She is the oldest tenant in the house. She has much say in that compound. She clearly told me she will make that house frustrating to me. I called she and her husband telling them to forgive me if at all I have offended them. But still my efforts prove abortive. I'm just thinking the next move.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by mayorkyzo: 10:43pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

He paid a year before paying for 3 months after the expiration of the 1 yr.
yes e paid a year before but the fact e paid 3months has voided the 1year agreement..and @op did you sign a tenancy agreement?if yes go thru it thoroughly and see if it was inserted that you could be evicted in a month...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Construction Of Luxurious 4 Bedroom Raised Bungalow (with Pictures) / Premium Lifestyle Loewe: Best Of German Electronics Now In Victoria Island Lagos / Ibadan Building Collapse: Evacuation Underway As Victims Are Been Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.