Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,800 members, 7,813,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons (25516 Views)

Sudden One Month Quit Notice: Please We Need Advice On Solution / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Does My Landlord Has The Right To Ask Me To Quit Without Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by SmartMugu: 10:45pm On Feb 10, 2016
ladyF:
If u no like wahala, when you get money just move, you don't have to wait for 6 months because you will be dealing with harassment everyday. God go bless all of us sha, we go build houses and buy jet IJN.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
If all of us buy jet, where we go park am? Who go be our air traffic controller, pilot, cabin crew after we all get jets? God don answer this kind prayer for any country before?
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by lastpage: 10:45pm On Feb 10, 2016
Okay, l have seen new information that was not there before.

So, you are owing January rent already? Why now?

You cant afford a Lawyer, so that wont help you.

Best Options:

*Beg your Landlady [/b]to give you more time, say House is difficult to get and you dont even have enough money to rent a new house now.
Tell her to give you till June. Look for another house as quickly as possible.

[b]*Go to the Mediation Center for help.

She CANT remove your things without a Court Order but your owing rent makes that order easier to get.
She will get that Court order within a few Months, after your Notices has expired.
Incase she refuse all begging, then tell her you CANT MOVE OUT NOW, unless a Court asks you to! grin
That will give you like 3-6Months. Pay your rent during those periods, Judges dont like owing tenants at all. undecided

Dont mind those people telling you that you are entitled to six months notice, it is false.

Sorry for your plight.

Lastpage!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by shocker007(m): 10:46pm On Feb 10, 2016
opalu:
6 months is the standard. I have some guy and his family living free in my duplex for the past 5 months now. Because he has a lawyer friend advising him. I do not like involving my company lawyers because they are like wounded ' Tigreses'. So I just want them to pack out at the fulness of time at least for the sake of their children (I love children). But the parents are too proud and obstinate.

I advise you to use wisdom mixed with humility except you don't dream of owning houses that people will live in some years from now

FREE kwa?
Bros, they will pay MESNE PROFITS for that 6months they stayed.
Some Tenants don't know Quit Notice doesn't mean free stay.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 10:46pm On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

We have not heard from your Landlady so all these story might just be one-sided, made to make your Landlady look bad.

But then, let us give you the benefit of doubt.

Questions:
1.) How long have you been in this same house?

2.) Do you pay yearly or Monthly? Your last payment was from when-to-when?

3.) Do you have a rent receipt?

4.) Are you owing any rent before now?

5.) How many people are in that house, that use the same bathroom?

6.) Was that "discussion about who should bath first" with your Landlady, done in an "aggressive tone" or with decorum (gentle manner)?

Now, There are three routes:
Long Route 1:
if you are a yearly tenant, your Landlady MUST give you SIX MONTHS NOTICE, to quit.
If you pay monthly, then you are only entitled to One Month Notice.
After that, she will give you another One MONTH, if you are still there, then ONE WEEK after which she will go to court to seek an EVICTION ORDER (Must be issued by a Court).
The Court will serve you a NOTICE to hear your own side of the story and may make or not make that order.

Long Route 2:
Go to the nearest Mediation Centre to your house and inform them of this situation.
They will invite your Landlady and ask her to state her case.
Their duty is to help both of you reach a reconciliation/agreement, without going to court.
They dont take cases that are already in court so you must decide which one you want (Court or Mediation)

Short Route: Ask someone to speak with your Landlady and tell her that you were no trying to "cause her trouble" but just trying to find a way that you and her can have your baths without disturbing each other.
Explain to her that it just happens that she wants to bath when you also want to bath and that can she give you a particular time she thinks the bathroom will be available for you to bath before you go to work in the morning, without conflicting with hers?

Try sooth her ego, beg her and act the "foolish" for now, since you are not in a position to rent another house now and[b] l know what "stress and anxiety" it is causing you right now.[/b]

I hope one of these methods works for you.

Lastpage!

BTW: other underhand tactics:

a.) If she get "matured daughter", befriend her and impregnate her (be ready to marry her sha o!).... you are now her in-law and she cant throw you out! shocked shocked grin grin

b.) If she be "Fine Mama" and you nor mind, befriend her and your rent might just be "paid upfront" for as long as you dey knack correct-correct! shocked
But keep the House rents somewhere because the day wey she vex, you will need the money to rent another house, in a jiffy! grin grin

NB: I do not endorse any of the last two strategies even though they work like a charm, grin l saw them in my dreams!
It wasn't me.... lipsrsealed undecided

matured clown
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 10:46pm On Feb 10, 2016
flokii:

that makes it... 'face me I slap you half' lol

buh you sef try get flat.. to avoid tenant wahala
The reason I rented that room was because it was built in form of a flat. Down floor, we are just two tenants, she and I. The first floor is occupied by the landlady with two other tenants.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by mayorkyzo: 10:48pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

Oga dele, he paid a year rent before paying for 3month..

Re u saying the 3 months he paid afterwards denies him his rights
yes cos the 3months he paid means he's no longer a yearly tenant..
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by lastpage: 10:50pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

Good u paid into his account but next time endeavor to get ur receipts cous he could still deny the payment as ur rent.

Go plead with ur landlord(which in my case I won't do), if he refuses don't fret about it.
When the 1 month elapses, he will certainly come again then tell him u ve not got a place yet nd u need extra 5month to complete the mandatory 6month.

Sure with this he would get where u re driving to, if u like when it's 6month take him court, this will give u another 6month to 1yr free accommodation.

Just start making arrangements for funds to move cous the above ain't going to be easy, the landlord will find every way to make ur living there Hell...

That your advice is WRONG and has no legal basis.
Dont put him in more trouble than he can handle!

How would someone who paid for three months be entitled to six months notice?
Are you not also aware that you still have to pay your rent (as long as you are still in the house) during the Notice period?

ask Lawyers, if you think l am wrong.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Dinocarex(m): 10:51pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

Are u saying there is a law that states u can quit me with a month notice?

Thou d young man gat no funds else a lawyer could buy him time.

I didn't say that.... My argument is that you never really paid for a year rent. Your yearly tenancy expired, you paid for 3 months. Impliedly, you run a year tenancy, expressly, you paid 3.
Just go talk to the Landlady... Anything she says will determine next line of action.. Go talk to her quick
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 10:51pm On Feb 10, 2016
sexysegggs:
I rented a house where a friend solicit on my behalf through a woman called mama Mary. My friend met this woman to beg since we heard that the landlady doesn't want single tenant.

The struggle started as to who take bath in the bathroom. She compete with me for the bathroom just like waking up all her four kids as early as 4:00am, taking their bath one after the other for hours. But she and her kids works and school at three buildings distance from our compound. This woman (mama Mary) is a fellow tenant as I do. In fact, just a wall separates my room from hers. There was a time I went to meet her explaining reasons why she need to allow me take my bath first since where I work is far. Surprisingly, my plead finally cause enmity between us.

She finally succeed in helping the landlord to quit me from the room through her lies and others. My rent expired last month and I was called last night that I should quit the room in the next one month. Please what should I do? I'm in state of confusion now and depression. Right now, I couldn't afford to rent another room.

Visit my signature for free legal advice.
Thank me later.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by habsydiamond(m): 10:53pm On Feb 10, 2016
Bros. Watch ursef that means u too dey feel pompous like male turkey. For tenants building na tortoise style dey work ooo. Greet her well, buy chin chin, puff puff for the pikins. B4 u say jack robinson, she don like u be that. And try to be jovial always.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by habsydiamond(m): 10:53pm On Feb 10, 2016
Bros. Watch ursef that means u too dey feel pompous like male turkey. For tenants building na tortoise style dey work ooo. Greet her well, buy chin chin, puff puff for the pikins. B4 u say jack robinson, she don like u be that. And try to be jovial always.
my advice fit work if only the landlord go withdraw him notice. God go help u bro.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by menix(m): 10:55pm On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

That your advice is WRONG and has no legal basis.
Dont put him in more trouble than he can handle!

How would someone who paid for three months be entitled to six months notice?
Are you not also aware that you still have to pay your rent (as long as you are still in the house) during the Notice period?

ask Lawyers, if you think l am wrong.

Lastpage!

He paid for a year before paying for 3 months, re u saying his right should be denied if he has a cogent reason for paying 3 months after the his yearly rent expired.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 10:56pm On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:
Okay, l have seen new information that was not there before.

So, you are owing January rent already? Why now?

You cant afford a Lawyer, so that wont help you.

Best Options:

*Beg your Landlady [/b]to give you more time, say House is difficult to get and you dont even have enough money to rent a new house now.
Tell her to give you till June. Look for another house as quickly as possible.

[b]*Go to the Mediation Center for help.

She CANT remove your things without a Court Order but your owing rent makes that order easier to get.
She will get that Court order within a few Months, after your Notices has expired.
Incase she refuse all begging, then tell her you CANT MOVE OUT NOW, unless a Court asks you to! grin
That will give you like 3-6Months. Pay your rent during those periods, Judges dont like owing tenants at all. undecided

Dont mind those people telling you that you are entitled to six months notice, it is false.

Sorry for your plight.

Lastpage!

Thanks, I have about six months money to pay but she stopped me from paying into her account. She said I shouldn't bother to pay again.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by edupedia: 10:56pm On Feb 10, 2016
[quote author=dedons post=42808888]APC is responsible for this...

I hate that lie-lie party. cry[/quote

...No mind this Otuoke/FIDIFI man wey go come comot ya door and window if una no pack out o...then MUSILIU OBANIKORO area boys go come clear ya property...if u laik go maik yanga to landlord like FIDIFI do us in 16 yrs...then una go see CHANGE for dat ya room...my advice?...pack out and avoid unnecessary drama...
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Dinocarex(m): 10:56pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

He paid a year before paying for 3 months after the expiration of the 1 yr.
He is Impliedly a yearly tenant but he is a 3 months tenant by Express. Do you know the quit notice period aint free. You still have to pay them off.
Let him go talk to the Landlady... From there, we will know next line of action.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 10:57pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:
Do u ve ur receipt of last payment.

Just inform a lawyer, cous he has to give u 6 months notice else sue someone's axx...
it must not be 6 month's notice.
First it depends on whether there's been an agreement for a lesser notice between the landlord and tenant.
Second, whether it's a yearly tenancy, monthly, quarterly, or half a year.
In fact visit my signature for more info.
Thank me later.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by dohyn(m): 10:57pm On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

We have not heard from your Landlady so all these story might just be one-sided, made to make your Landlady look bad.
But then, let us give you the benefit of doubt.
Questions:
1.) How long have you been in this same house?
2.) Do you pay yearly or Monthly? Your last payment was from when-to-when?
3.) Do you have a rent receipt?
4.) Are you owing any rent before now?
5.) How many people are in that house, that use the same bathroom?
6.) Was that "discussion about who should bath first" with your Landlady, done in an "aggressive tone" or with decorum (gentle manner)?
Now, There are three routes:
Long Route 1:
if you are a yearly tenant, your Landlady MUST give you SIX MONTHS NOTICE, to quit.
If you pay monthly, then you are only entitled to One Month Notice.
After that, she will give you another One MONTH, if you are still there, then ONE WEEK after which she will go to court to seek an EVICTION ORDER (Must be issued by a Court).
The Court will serve you a NOTICE to hear your own side of the story and may make or not make that order.

Long Route 2:
Go to the nearest Mediation Centre to your house and inform them of this situation.
They will invite your Landlady and ask her to state her case.
Their duty is to help both of you reach a reconciliation/agreement, without going to court.
They dont take cases that are already in court so you must decide which one you want (Court or Mediation)
Short Route: Ask someone to speak with your Landlady and tell her that you were no trying to "cause her trouble" but just trying to find a way that you and her can have your baths without disturbing each other.
Explain to her that it just happens that she wants to bath when you also want to bath and that can she give you a particular time she thinks the bathroom will be available for you to bath before you go to work in the morning, without conflicting with hers?
Try sooth her ego, beg her and act the "foolish" for now, since you are not in a position to rent another house now and[b] l know what "stress and anxiety" it is causing you right now.[/b]
I hope one of these methods works for you.
Lastpage!
BTW: other underhand tactics:
a.) If she get "matured daughter", befriend her and impregnate her (be ready to marry her sha o!).... you are now her in-law and she cant throw you out! shocked shocked grin grin
b.) If she be "Fine Mama" and you nor mind, befriend her and your rent might just be "paid upfront" for as long as you dey knack correct-correct! shocked
But keep the House rents somewhere because the day wey she vex, you will need the money to rent another house, in a jiffy! grin grin
NB: I do not endorse any of the last two strategies even though they work like a charm, grin l saw them in my dreams!
It wasn't me.... lipsrsealed undecided

I have a similar case but I'm the landlord. My tenant moved in Jan 2015,paid for a year's rent. this year,she promised to pay me by January ending. Jan 31st, she then told me that she might be transferred to Abuja by 2nd week in February. I told her to still pay and if she gets transferred, I will refund her money.
My agent then called her this Monday when she did not pay to ask about the money. she then told the agent that she does not have money and after all, she should be given 3 months quit notice by law.
Now,I don't even want her in the house again,want her to leave by February ending whether she pays or not and I have told her. what are my options pls? Can I evict her by month end? remember,I didn't have any issue with her till she made that statement.
sorry for the epistle and quoting you. thanks
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Claroo(m): 10:58pm On Feb 10, 2016
Op...try settle amicably with your landlady

Don't waste ur money on litigation

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by lacicrips(m): 10:59pm On Feb 10, 2016
sexysegggs:

Funny enough, the woman do study when I wake up. It really generate to other lies like not sleeping the compound. She is the oldest tenant in the house. She has much say in that compound. She clearly told me she will make that house frustrating to me. I called she and her husband telling them to forgive me if at all I have offended them. But still my efforts prove abortive. I'm just thinking the next move.

Always fight fire for fire. No gree for anybody as long as you're on your right. When you go around apologizing or begging people who have offended you, that's what you get. You just boosted their ego, and they'll Bleep you up the more as they've seen you're weak.

Your option is to look for money and move. Forget lawyer, when your time expires, tell the landlady you've not seen a place yet, and ask for additional time. If she tries anything funny, tell her to take you to court. She wont, just threats and constant harrassments.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

Good u paid into his account but next time endeavor to get ur receipts cous he could still deny the payment as ur rent.

Go plead with ur landlord(which in my case I won't do), if he refuses don't fret about it.
When the 1 month elapses, he will certainly come again then tell him u ve not got a place yet nd u need extra 5month to complete the mandatory 6month.

Sure with this he would get where u re driving to, if u like when it's 6month take him court, this will give u another 6month to 1yr free accommodation.

Just start making arrangements for funds to move cous the above ain't going to be easy, the landlord will find every way to make ur living there Hell...
there's nothing like free accommodation.
Once the suit is over, you'll pay all arrears and mesne profits.
- LEGAL Aide

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by mayorkyzo: 11:01pm On Feb 10, 2016
LKO:
Was a tenancy agreement signed between u and d landlord? Six months quit notice is not automatic, if u signed a shorter quit notice with d landlord, the court would honour that agreement. Again, by paying three months rent into ur landlord's account, u are no longer a yearly tenant. That single action of yours, now entitles u to only three months quit notice. I presume the money u paid last October was to cover u for October November and December. If this is d case, u still have until next month to quit.

I suggest u look for a new room else where. The money u want to use to renew your rent, use it to pay else where. No need for court case all because of one room. If u dnt have a lawyer in ur house to fight ur cause for u, forget it, u would spend money engaging a lawyer, no lawyer would do anything for u free.

Beg your landlord to look u till say April, and gather money to move out. This is my kind opinion.
gbam..people just telling him to get a lawyer..money e would be to pay lawyer it's better he uses it to look for a new apartment...
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 11:03pm On Feb 10, 2016
Meet your landlord in the night. When he is with his family members. Explain to him and discuss things with him. It works like magic. I would advise you meet him with money and not excuses or asking for grace
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 11:04pm On Feb 10, 2016
lacicrips:

Always fight fire for fire. No gree for anybody as long as you're on your right. When you go around apologizing or begging people who have offended you, that's what you get. You just boosted their ego, and they'll Bleep you up the more as they've seen you're weak.

Your option is to look for money and move. Forget lawyer, when your time expires, tell the landlady you've not seen a place yet, and ask for additional time. If she tries anything funny, tell her to take you to court. She wont, just threats and constant harrassments.

Thank you, you really revive my happiness again.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by menix(m): 11:04pm On Feb 10, 2016
Dinocarex:

He is Impliedly a yearly tenant but he is a 3 months tenant by Express. Do you know the quit notice period aint free. You still have to pay them off.
Let him go talk to the Landlady... From there, we will know next line of action.

Baba it's free oo, how do u recover it if the man declares bankruptcy..

I know of a family that stayz in a 3 bed in satellite town Ojo, for 3 yrs plus no payment, infact the landlord is even praying they go and allow him put another tenant...

If the dude can give a cogent reason he paid 3month am sure his 6month is still valid..
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by oodua1stson: 11:05pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:
Do u ve ur receipt of last payment.

Just inform a lawyer, cous he has to give u 6 months notice else sue someone's axx...
sh1t like this won't work with a diabolical person.the landlord might put something on his foot mat or harm him in one way or the other
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 11:06pm On Feb 10, 2016
TOEZOFFICIAL:
If ur rent is renewed every year, u get 6months quit notice.. If u pay every 6months, u get 3months quit notice...3months will amount to a month notice....Jst find anoda place and pay for..Lawyers will jst take advantage of u, dry up few bucks that can rent an apartment for u...
Good but you forgot that a landlord can agree with a tenant that the notice to be given will be shorter, say 2 weeks.
-LEGAL Aide
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by oodua1stson: 11:06pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

Baba it's free oo, how do u recover it if the man declares bankruptcy..

I know of a family that stayz in a 3 bed in satellite town Ojo, for 3 yrs plus no payment, infact the landlord is even praying they go and allow him put another tenant...

If the dude can give a cogent reason he paid 3month am sure his 6month is still valid..
you're taling about a good landlord. Not one that gets his daily bread fro mthe house rent

He will find a way to push them put
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by mayorkyzo: 11:08pm On Feb 10, 2016
dohyn:

I have a similar case but I'm the landlord. My tenant moved in Jan 2015,paid for a year's rent. this year,she promised to pay me by January ending. Jan 31st, she then told me that she might be transferred to Abuja by 2nd week in February. I told her to still pay and if she gets transferred, I will refund her money.
My agent then called her this Monday when she did not pay to ask about the money. she then told the agent that she does not have money and after all, she should be given 3 months quit notice by law.
Now,I don't even want her in the house again,want her to leave by February ending whether she pays or not and I have told her. what are my options pls? Can I evict her by month end? remember,I didn't have any issue with her till she made that statement.
sorry for the epistle and quoting you. thanks
since she's already defaulted on her rent,she's no longer entitled to 6months notice...you can give her a months notice then after that 7days after which th court would invite her..just speak to your lawyer sha...

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by mayorkyzo: 11:09pm On Feb 10, 2016
LEGALAide:

there's nothing like free accommodation.
Once the suit is over, you'll pay all arrears and mesne profits.
- LEGAL Aide
that's the layman's idea..wanna stay in someone's house for free...daft peeps always saying things not knowing what the law states...
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by jgbemson1: 11:13pm On Feb 10, 2016
first of all go n meet ur landlady one on one ask what the problem, if she listen to u fine n if not, kindly contact office of d public defence at ebutte meta yaba lagos
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 11:15pm On Feb 10, 2016
dhardline:
Since your last payment was for 3months then am sorry to disappoint you cause all you'll be given is 1month and 2weeks.Only those who pay yearly get 6 months.
you're even generous.
1 month period.
There nothing like 1 month two weeks in tenancy laws

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Construction Of Luxurious 4 Bedroom Raised Bungalow (with Pictures) / Premium Lifestyle Loewe: Best Of German Electronics Now In Victoria Island Lagos / Ibadan Building Collapse: Evacuation Underway As Victims Are Been Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.