Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,842 members, 7,813,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons (25521 Views)

Sudden One Month Quit Notice: Please We Need Advice On Solution / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Does My Landlord Has The Right To Ask Me To Quit Without Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by enygmababe: 4:36am On Feb 11, 2016
menix:

He paid for a year before paying for 3 months, re u saying his right should be denied if he has a cogent reason for paying 3 months after the his yearly rent expired.

He has no entitlement to the 6 months notice. By paying 3 months notice, in the face of the law, he renegotiated his tenancy and brought it down from a yearly tenancy. His reasons are irrelevant so there is no issue or consideration for cogent reasons. A landlord is entitled to his rent and once a tenant pays rent dutifully, the tenant is entitled to peaceable possession.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by enygmababe: 4:41am On Feb 11, 2016
haykay2005:
Please house, what happen in a situation where the tenant has defaulted in the payment of rent. The tenant is already owing a year rent. Will she be entitled to 6 months as well? No legal document signed. My dad just reported his tenant to me. What a coincidence. Lawyers in the house pls

Since she is owing rent for a year, she is only entitled to seven (7) days notice of owners intention to recover possession of premises. Once that notice is served, upon expiration or even before expiration, you need to file a process in court to evict her legally. The court will not take it lightly with her that she is in default of rent for that length of time
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by PrinzEleju: 4:55am On Feb 11, 2016
enygmababe:

Since she is owing rent for a year, she is only entitled to seven (7) days notice of owners intention to recover possession of premises. Once that notice is served, upon expiration or even before expiration, you need to file a process in court to evict her legally. The court will not take it lightly with her that she is in default of rent for that length of time
sexysegggs:
I rented a house where a friend solicit on my behalf through a woman called mama Mary. My friend met this woman to beg since we heard that the landlady doesn't want single tenant.

The struggle started as to who take bath in the bathroom. She compete with me for the bathroom just like waking up all her four kids as early as 4:00am, taking their bath one after the other for hours. But she and her kids works and school at three buildings distance from our compound. This woman (mama Mary) is a fellow tenant as I do. In fact, just a wall separates my room from hers. There was a time I went to meet her explaining reasons why she need to allow me take my bath first since where I work is far. Surprisingly, my plead finally cause enmity between us.

She finally succeed in helping the landlord to quit me from the room through her lies and others. My rent expired last month and I was called last night that I should quit the room in the next one month. Please what should I do? I'm in state of confusion now and depression. Right now, I couldn't afford to rent another room.

enygmababe:

sexysegggs:
I rented a house where a friend solicit on my behalf through a woman called mama Mary. My friend met this woman to beg since we heard that the landlady doesn't want single tenant.

The struggle started as to who take bath in the bathroom. She compete with me for the bathroom just like waking up all her four kids as early as 4:00am, taking their bath one after the other for hours. But she and her kids works and school at three buildings distance from our compound. This woman (mama Mary) is a fellow tenant as I do. In fact, just a wall separates my room from hers. There was a time I went to meet her explaining reasons why she need to allow me take my bath first since where I work is far. Surprisingly, my plead finally cause enmity between us.

She finally succeed in helping the landlord to quit me from the room through her lies and others. My rent expired last month and I was called last night that I should quit the room in the next one month. Please what should I do? I'm in state of confusion now and depression. Right now, I couldn't afford to rent another room.

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by enygmababe: 5:00am On Feb 11, 2016
dohyn:
I have a similar case but I'm the landlord. My tenant moved in Jan 2015,paid for a year's rent. this year,she promised to pay me by January ending. Jan 31st, she then told me that she might be transferred to Abuja by 2nd week in February. I told her to still pay and if she gets transferred, I will refund her money.
My agent then called her this Monday when she did not pay to ask about the money. she then told the agent that she does not have money and after all, she should be given 3 months quit notice by law.
Now,I don't even want her in the house again,want her to leave by February ending whether she pays or not and I have told her. what are my options pls? Can I evict her by month end? remember,I didn't have any issue with her till she made that statement.
sorry for the epistle and quoting you. thanks

Oga biko, still look at it from the tenants point of view. Her last rent expired on the 31st of January. Today is 11th of February. She explained that she might be transfered to Abuja and you want her to pay one year again first and if she is transfered you will refund? shocked shocked

Haba! angry Have some compassion. smiley If she is transfered, she will need to settle down there too. How will she be discussing refund and looking for money to move at the same time? I am certain she replied that she is entitled to that notice because of your demand. It is better that both of you meet in the middle.

My suggestion:

1. We know you are entitled to your rent.

2. She will know if she will be transfered in about four (4) days time.

3. If she is transfered she can pay you rent for a month and use the remaining days of the month to pack out or even pay for two months to make her transition smooth while you open the house for another tenant.

Somehow I think she does not want to have to be asking you to refund. Tenants are human too biko. grin

2 Likes

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by PrinzEleju: 5:01am On Feb 11, 2016
What your is landlord did is right,regardless of mama mary's malicious intents.Next to follow is 7 Days Notice of Owner's Intention to Recover Possession,and failure to vacate? court comes in and the end result might be disastrous.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by LKO(m): 6:14am On Feb 11, 2016
enygmababe:

Good explanation, thanks. But, assuming a yearly tenant is in six months arears, and all attempt to make him pay his rent has failed, can the landlord proceed to issue a seven days notice? No tenancy agreement, but the tenant has been paying yearly, because the landlord told him so from the beginning. Thanks.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by enygmababe: 6:20am On Feb 11, 2016
LKO:

Good explanation, thanks. But, assuming a yearly tenant is in six months arears, and all attempt to make him pay his rent has failed, can the landlord proceed to issue a seven days notice? No tenancy agreement, but the tenant has been paying yearly, because the landlord told him so from the beginning. Thanks.

Yes,

Actually, the rule becomes enforceable once a tenant is in default of rent for three (3) months; But be informed that all notices have formats and essential elements which make them valid. If you type it yourself and miss the essential ingredients, it may become a worthless document.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by hamilton62(m): 6:30am On Feb 11, 2016
menix:

Good u paid into his account but next time endeavor to get ur receipts cous he could still deny the payment as ur rent.

Go plead with ur landlord(which in my case I won't do), if he refuses don't fret about it.
When the 1 month elapses, he will certainly come again then tell him u ve not got a place yet nd u need extra 5month to complete the mandatory 6month.

Sure with this he would get where u re driving to, if u like when it's 6month take him court, this will give u another 6month to 1yr free accommodation.

Just start making arrangements for funds to move cous the above ain't going to be easy, the landlord will find every way to make ur living there Hell...
Remember brother, 6 months is for. Per annum tenants... Though you are right for him to request for that because he needs more time but know this before you go suing: request for extra 5 months now is not your right because you reduced you're mode of rent payment to her to 3 months but request for extra time is your right...
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by dohyn(m): 6:35am On Feb 11, 2016
enygmababe:

Oga biko, still look at it from the tenants point of view. Her last rent expired on the 31st of January. Today is 11th of February. She explained that she might be transfered to Abuja and you want her to pay one year again first and if she is transfered you will refund? shocked shocked

Haba! angry Have some compassion. smiley If she is transfered, she will need to settle down there too. How will she be discussing refund and looking for money to move at the same time? I am certain she replied that she is entitled to that notice because of your demand. It is better that both of you meet in the middle.

My suggestion:

1. We know you are entitled to your rent.

2. She will know if she will be transfered in about four (4) days time.

3. If she is transfered she can pay you rent for a month and use the remaining days of the month to pack out or even pay for two months to make her transition smooth while you open the house for another tenant.

Somehow I think she does not want to have to be asking you to refund. Tenants are human too biko. grin

thanks for the advice...the transfer is a scam,she is not going to Abuja..the problem is,she has no money,hasn't paid her share of the light and lawma bill this month. she just wants to use sense for me and stay in the house without paying. that is what I want to avoid.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by unphilaz(m): 6:42am On Feb 11, 2016
smiley
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by samifiakp: 6:44am On Feb 11, 2016
Are you a yearly tenant with your receipt? Then hold your peace because your entitled to 6mobths but if the reverse is the case go meet her and plead for time to get another house.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by enygmababe: 6:49am On Feb 11, 2016
dohyn:

thanks for the advice...the transfer is a scam,she is not going to Abuja..the problem is,she has no money,hasn't paid her share of the light and lawma bill this month. she just wants to use sense for me and stay in the house without paying. that is what I want to avoid.

OK, if you say so. The court does not engage in academic exercise or speculations and I would not want to advice on you on what to do based on your suspicion. I would advice that you wait the month out. If that fails then you can look into the explanation for people who default for 3 months like I mentioned above.

Have a lovely day Sir

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by TOEZOFFICIAL(m): 6:56am On Feb 11, 2016
AreaFada2:

Please see it from landlords' perspective too. I hope most people want to be landlord one day.

A man and his family from we pitied to give a flat to rent cheap messed up. Family appeared decent in church.

Instead of agreed initial 6 months rent, on moving in they pleaded to be allowed to pay 3 months first and 3 months by month end. By month end, stories began. Days to each month end, the man will not come home again. He will call his kids to come collect chop money somewhere in town. grin cheesy

When paying, he was paying small bits as if crayfish or maggi money.

In the end, they stayed like 7 months without pay. Though I had rough means at hand to kick them out, I used legal means to do so. Spending another 15k or so in the process.

Now, will such make a landlord nice or strict?

lmfao...make sure no stays n ur house for 3months without paying rent. Most Nigerians ain't worth the stress...They take your kindness and weakness. I manage more close to a hundred flats, I talk frm experience. Try and notify d person 2months before his rent expires...if he no serious, gv erm extra one month atleast.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by TOEZOFFICIAL(m): 6:57am On Feb 11, 2016
AreaFada2:

Please see it from landlords' perspective too. I hope most people want to be landlord one day.

A man and his family from we pitied to give a flat to rent cheap messed up. Family appeared decent in church.

Instead of agreed initial 6 months rent, on moving in they pleaded to be allowed to pay 3 months first and 3 months by month end. By month end, stories began. Days to each month end, the man will not come home again. He will call his kids to come collect chop money somewhere in town. grin cheesy

When paying, he was paying small bits as if crayfish or maggi money.

In the end, they stayed like 7 months without pay. Though I had rough means at hand to kick them out, I used legal means to do so. Spending another 15k or so in the process.

Now, will such make a landlord nice or strict?

lmfao...make sure no stays n ur house for 3months without paying rent. Most Nigerians ain't worth the stress...They take your kindness and weakness. Try and notify d tenant 2months before his rent expires...if he no serious, gv erm extra one month to pay up or ...
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Funjosh(m): 6:59am On Feb 11, 2016
sexysegggs:

(1) I have been in that house a year and four months now.
(2) I paid yearly but due to circumstances I told him I will pay three months first before paying the remaining this February.
(3) I owe house rent due to he ask me not to pay again.
(4) We are two that you use the same bathroom (myself and mama Mary)
(5) here, the landlady is not leaving with us down stair, she stays upstairs. She was only told lies by mama Mary who wants me quitted.

You don't have case with the Landlord but with Mama Mary tongue
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by LKO(m): 7:01am On Feb 11, 2016
enygmababe:

Yes,

Actually, the rule becomes enforceable once a tenant is in default of rent for three (3) months; But be informed that all notices have formats and essential elements which make them valid. If you type it yourself and miss the essential ingredients, it may become a worthless document.

Many thanks. I learnt a supreme court judgement gives credence to this your submission. So many people dont know this, they so much believe in this six months notice of a thing.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by MrCyril(m): 7:01am On Feb 11, 2016
sexysegggs:

Thank you, you really revive my happiness again.
The landlord doesn't know what to do to them. I own an estate management firm. I quit tenants with ease, Infact I just evicted a tenant two days ago and all his properties has been seized by court until he pays up all he is owes . My advice to tenants is don't ever owe your landlord cos that gives him an edge in court. No court will tell u to leave in another man's house 4 free And don't think the quit notice period is free cos u will still pay for period stayed to the last kobo.
I have even evicted over 50 tenants at once from a client's property. My advice to the young man is for him to pack his things and leave cos he will regret at the end if he tries to fight back, Talking 4rm experience. Any landlord here who wishes to avoid tenant wahala should hand over his/her property to estate management firm, we know how to handle tenants who owe intentionally or think they can occupy your property free. My number 08032765549, feel free to call for advice too
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by enygmababe: 7:03am On Feb 11, 2016
LKO:

Many thanks. I learnt a supreme court judgement gives credence to this your submission. So many people dont know this, they so much believe in this six months notice of a thing.

You are welcome Sir.

Glad to be of help

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by MrCyril(m): 7:11am On Feb 11, 2016
dohyn:
It's a simple matter to handle. I have dealt with such tenant b4, he ended up begging me to let him go but it was too late by then. He paid to the last kobo and packed out immediately afterwards. Feel free to call for free advice. 08032765549

I have a similar case but I'm the landlord. My tenant moved in Jan 2015,paid for a year's rent. this year,she promised to pay me by January ending. Jan 31st, she then told me that she might be transferred to Abuja by 2nd week in February. I told her to still pay and if she gets transferred, I will refund her money.
My agent then called her this Monday when she did not pay to ask about the money. she then told the agent that she does not have money and after all, she should be given 3 months quit notice by law.
Now,I don't even want her in the house again,want her to leave by February ending whether she pays or not and I have told her. what are my options pls? Can I evict her by month end? remember,I didn't have any issue with her till she made that statement.
sorry for the epistle and quoting you. thanks
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by callJesu: 7:13am On Feb 11, 2016
Settle issues with him quickly oo
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by MrCyril(m): 7:14am On Feb 11, 2016
haykay2005:
Please house, what happen in a situation where the tenant has defaulted in the payment of rent. The tenant is already owing a year rent. Will she be entitled to 6 months as well? No legal document signed. My dad just reported his tenant to me. What a coincidence. Lawyers in the house pls
it's a simple issue to handle. Call me for free advice. 08032765549
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by ogawisdom(m): 7:18am On Feb 11, 2016
sexysegggs:

Demand six months notice dts d normal thing. If u have money to renew ur rent then go and plead with him to collect it
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Joshalorsdanse(m): 7:26am On Feb 11, 2016
ogawisdom:

Demand six months notice dts d normal thing. If u have money to renew ur rent then go and plead with him to collect it

By the tenancy laws of Lagos State. It is an offence for the land Lord not to issue you a receipt after payment so on that note he's gone afoul of the laws.
I noticed that everyone is screaming six months notice, let me correct that notion. The mandatory quit notice for an tenancy duration is half of the tenancy duration. Meaning if u paid for 6months, the law mandates ur landlord to give u 3months quit notice and if its 3months then you have 6weeks notice. So he's telling you one month is not too far off.
Note that the quit notice MUST be in writing to be valid.
So be harmed and informed before u start going to
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by austertee01(m): 7:31am On Feb 11, 2016
sexysegggs:

Yes, I packed in there not up to two years now. My first rent receipt expired last year October. I paid him three months after my first rent expired but no receipt for this. This three months rent was paid in his account.

Op, Legally I don't think you have a case because paying 3 months rent indicated that u are a monthly tenant and by law the quit notice for a monthly tenant is just one month (Lagos Tenancy Law, Tho) Just try and see if u can plead with ur landlord cos u don't have a legal case against him.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by nd07(m): 7:36am On Feb 11, 2016
ladyF:
If u no like wahala, when you get money just move, you don't have to wait for 6 months because you will be dealing with harassment everyday. God go bless all of us sha, we go build houses and buy jet IJN.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

AMEN, AMEN & A-M-E-E-E-E-N!!!!!!! 2016 is my year
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by MsGlobalwonder(f): 7:44am On Feb 11, 2016
Cutehector:
Face me I punch u
*sigh
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by glossy6(f): 7:46am On Feb 11, 2016
Tenants Wahala no be here but you will only read about wicked landlord and land lady because they have advantage in the law court.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 7:49am On Feb 11, 2016
menix:

Good u paid into his account but next time endeavor to get ur receipts cous he could still deny the payment as ur rent.

Go plead with ur landlord(which in my case I won't do), if he refuses don't fret about it.
When the 1 month elapses, he will certainly come again then tell him u ve not got a place yet nd u need extra 5month to complete the mandatory 6month.

Sure with this he would get where u re driving to, if u like when it's 6month take him court, this will give u another 6month to 1yr free accommodation.

Just start making arrangements for funds to move cous the above ain't going to be easy, the landlord will find every way to make ur living there Hell...

I always laugh at people who brag about lawyers and court. He cant even afford to rent another room and you are suggesting court. No be money him go take consult lawyer? Before you finish the court proceedings you would have spent almost twice the money that you would have just used to rent another room on charges and miscellaneous moreover, lack of finance may even force you to stop attending the court hearing self, in which case the judge will rule in favour of the landlord and may even order that you pay up for the period spent in the house, then the landlord will make life a living hell for you.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 7:51am On Feb 11, 2016
Funjosh:

You don't have case with the Landlord but with Mama Mary tongue
That's right! She is the one behind all these.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by hotobo(m): 7:53am On Feb 11, 2016
You all are shouting he must give six months. Come niger state come try am. Or somewhere in the north if welfare no go pack your load go keep for there office. From there u if you don't even hurry u lost all valuables.

Most of you are ordinary tenants sha who doesn't no the pain of building a house and one village don jazzy come manage pay rent, start to share when landlady go baf.

The op is lying. U no all this isn't easy with u and u stayed 2yrs 3months.

If others shouting get a lawyer since can't reason l and others yet to reply see your fault. Just pack out if you no what's good for u.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by zheroes(m): 7:54am On Feb 11, 2016
menix:
Do u ve ur receipt of last payment.

Just inform a lawyer, cous he has to give u 6 months notice else sue someone's axx...
you haven't asked if its a yearly payment or monthly payment he makes? or biannually, its more appropriate to start from there.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by zheroes(m): 7:58am On Feb 11, 2016
oh... you don't have a case bro, try and borrow money from close friends and pay later if you're working or else look for someone you can squat with for about 4 months , that's the best I can offer you bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Construction Of Luxurious 4 Bedroom Raised Bungalow (with Pictures) / Premium Lifestyle Loewe: Best Of German Electronics Now In Victoria Island Lagos / Ibadan Building Collapse: Evacuation Underway As Victims Are Been Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.