Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,751 members, 7,813,475 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons (25513 Views)

Sudden One Month Quit Notice: Please We Need Advice On Solution / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Does My Landlord Has The Right To Ask Me To Quit Without Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Goodnuel: 11:18pm On Feb 10, 2016
Just try and get a new apartment, all those things ain't worth the stress he will put through.

By the time he sends those our police officers wey no care about the laws and they b harassing you like a criminal, it won't be funny.

I am telling you this from experience oo..
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by haykay2005: 11:20pm On Feb 10, 2016
Please house, what happen in a situation where the tenant has defaulted in the payment of rent. The tenant is already owing a year rent. Will she be entitled to 6 months as well? No legal document signed. My dad just reported his tenant to me. What a coincidence. Lawyers in the house pls
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by menix(m): 11:20pm On Feb 10, 2016
LEGALAide:

there's nothing like free accommodation.
Once the suit is over, you'll pay all arrears and mesne profits.
- LEGAL Aide

Baba, u ve not met a tenant whom you would even beg to go with his debt..
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 11:21pm On Feb 10, 2016
LEGALAide:

it must not be 6 month's notice.
First it depends on whether there's been an agreement for a lesser notice between the landlord and tenant.
Second, whether it's a yearly tenancy, monthly, quarterly, or half a year.
In fact visit: www.facebook.com/LEGALAide for more info.
Thank me later.
My last payment receipt was 1 year. He hasn't given me receipt for the three months. We didn't have any written agreement of any kind.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by ladyF(f): 11:21pm On Feb 10, 2016
SmartMugu:

If all of us buy jet, where we go park am? Who go be our air traffic controller, pilot, cabin crew after we all get jets? God don answer this kind prayer for any country before?
Oh ye of little faith.

If thou shalt believe, all things are possible to them that believe. grin
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 11:21pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

Baba, u ve not met a tenant whom you would even beg to go with his debt..
no vex, I'm only talking LAW.
Visit my signature.
-LEGAL Aide
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Sanchase: 11:22pm On Feb 10, 2016
Its better you arrange with a family relative or friend living in the same state as you for a temporary accommodation. What if the landlady out af anger decides to poison your food, everybody will come back on this forum and type "Chai" while you lay lifeless.

Some things are better avoided especially in a shared accommodation cos of grave consequences...

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by benjanny(m): 11:23pm On Feb 10, 2016
Olisa nyere onye obula aka ka oruo ulo nke ya.God help every tenant to build his own house
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by hardbody: 11:23pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:
Do u ve ur receipt of last payment.

Just inform a lawyer, cous he has to give u 6 months notice else sue someone's axx...

Na lie. He is a monthly tenant and is entitled to one month notice and then 7 days notice of intention and then court writ and he will be lawfully ejected. Do not dabble into alien territories and misguide others.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 11:25pm On Feb 10, 2016
sexysegggs:

My last payment receipt was 1 year. He hasn't given me receipt for the three months. We didn't have any written agreement of any kind.
he hasn't given you receipt?
What did he give you?
First off, find a way to gently ask for the receipt now.
Second, bear in mind that there's fire on the mountain because Mr. Landlord knows you may not want to engage the services of a lawyer.
Oku di over o.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by hardbody: 11:26pm On Feb 10, 2016
benjanny:
Olisa nyere onye obula aka ka oruo ulo nke ya.God help every tenant to build his own house

When una see person wey go buy land for Olambe abi Akute dey build small small, dem go dey abuse am. It is because of times like this. God help the OP. Truth is whenever your landlord has made up his mind that you are going, it is only a matter of time before you quit.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by hardbody: 11:33pm On Feb 10, 2016
sexysegggs:

My bad. If you had paid one year, collect your receipt as proof. You are then entitled to 6 months notice.

If you do not have a receipt, it will border on oral evidence. It might be a lot difficult for you to prove. Of course he can be asked to produce a duplicate but in the end, having a receipt strenghtens your position. God be with you.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Nobody: 11:36pm On Feb 10, 2016
menix:

He paid for a year before paying for 3 months, re u saying his right should be denied if he has a cogent reason for paying 3 months after the his yearly rent expired.

who cares about "cogent reasons"?
The courts or mallam.
Visit my signature asap.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by LKO(m): 11:44pm On Feb 10, 2016
mayorkyzo:
gbam..people just telling him to get a lawyer..money e would be to pay lawyer it's better he uses it to look for a new apartment...

Warri man I sight u.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 11:47pm On Feb 10, 2016
lastpage:

We have not heard from your Landlady so all these story might just be one-sided, made to make your Landlady look bad.

But then, let us give you the benefit of doubt.

Questions:
1.) How long have you been in this same house?

2.) Do you pay yearly or Monthly? Your last payment was from when-to-when?

3.) Do you have a rent receipt?

4.) Are you owing any rent before now?

5.) How many people are in that house, that use the same bathroom?

6.) Was that "discussion about who should bath first" with your Landlady, done in an "aggressive tone" or with decorum (gentle manner)?

Now, There are three routes:
Long Route 1:
if you are a yearly tenant, your Landlady MUST give you SIX MONTHS NOTICE, to quit.
If you pay monthly, then you are only entitled to One Month Notice.
After that, she will give you another One MONTH, if you are still there, then ONE WEEK after which she will go to court to seek an EVICTION ORDER (Must be issued by a Court).
The Court will serve you a NOTICE to hear your own side of the story and may make or not make that order.

Long Route 2:
Go to the nearest Mediation Centre to your house and inform them of this situation.
They will invite your Landlady and ask her to state her case.
Their duty is to help both of you reach a reconciliation/agreement, without going to court.
They dont take cases that are already in court so you must decide which one you want (Court or Mediation)

Short Route: Ask someone to speak with your Landlady and tell her that you were no trying to "cause her trouble" but just trying to find a way that you and her can have your baths without disturbing each other.
Explain to her that it just happens that she wants to bath when you also want to bath and that can she give you a particular time she thinks the bathroom will be available for you to bath before you go to work in the morning, without conflicting with hers?

Try sooth her ego, beg her and act the "foolish" for now, since you are not in a position to rent another house now and[b] l know what "stress and anxiety" it is causing you right now.[/b]

I hope one of these methods works for you.

Lastpage!

BTW: other underhand tactics:

a.) If she get "matured daughter", befriend her and impregnate her (be ready to marry her sha o!).... you are now her in-law and she cant throw you out! shocked shocked grin grin

b.) If she be "Fine Mama" and you nor mind, befriend her and your rent might just be "paid upfront" for as long as you dey knack correct-correct! shocked
But keep the House rents somewhere because the day wey she vex, you will need the money to rent another house, in a jiffy! grin grin

NB: I do not endorse any of the last two strategies even though they work like a charm, grin l saw them in my dreams!
It wasn't me.... lipsrsealed undecided

(1) I have been in that house a year and four months now.
(2) I paid yearly but due to circumstances I told him I will pay three months first before paying the remaining this February.
(3) I owe house rent due to he ask me not to pay again.
(4) We are two that you use the same bathroom (myself and mama Mary)
(5) here, the landlady is not leaving with us down stair, she stays upstairs. She was only told lies by mama Mary who wants me quitted.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by goodnews777: 11:52pm On Feb 10, 2016
[quote author=Jediel1 post=42809050]Meet him one on one
THIS EXPLAINS WHY FOLKS DIE EASILY, PREMATURELY. THE HOUSE IS NOT YOURS. SETTLE WITH HIM OR MOVE OUT. YOU CAN WIN LEGALLY BUT LOSE SPIRITUALLY. That explains why the Bible says to follow peace with ALL men. All these nice but ungodly advise against a house owner is spiritually detrimental. MARK MY WORD, IF ITS NOT YOURS, ITS NOT YOURS.YOU STAND TO LOSE. Son, find a way to settle it amicably or leave. My prayer is that God will give you enough to build your own soon but follow the way of peace.

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Dinocarex(m): 12:00am On Feb 11, 2016
menix:

Baba it's free oo, how do u recover it if the man declares bankruptcy..

I know of a family that stayz in a 3 bed in satellite town Ojo, for 3 yrs plus no payment, infact the landlord is even praying they go and allow him put another tenant...

If the dude can give a cogent reason he paid 3month am sure his 6month is still valid..

The landlord no sabi na
You give quit notice 6 months before the expiration of yearly tenancy.
I just gave u hint on what Estate agent do now
And yeah... It's legal
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by sexysegggs: 12:11am On Feb 11, 2016
mayorkyzo:
yes e paid a year before but the fact e paid 3months has voided the 1year agreement..and @op did you sign a tenancy agreement?if yes go thru it thoroughly and see if it was inserted that you could be evicted in a month...
No, I didn't sign any tenancy agreement form.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by menix(m): 12:20am On Feb 11, 2016
Dinocarex:

The landlord no sabi na
You give quit notice 6 months before the expiration of yearly tenancy.
I just gave u hint on what Estate agent do now
And yeah... It's legal

Then litigation will settle us..
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by nasmu(m): 12:39am On Feb 11, 2016
It is not in all situation dat u get 6 month notice. From what I understand, ur tenancy is monthly, so u r only entitled to dat 1 month notice. But if is yearly, d notice most be 6 months. Jst get a lawyer for advice!
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by kokumo1949: 12:39am On Feb 11, 2016
opalu:
6 months is the standard. I have some guy and his family living free in my duplex for the past 5 months now. Because he has a lawyer friend advising him. I do not like involving my company lawyers because they are like wounded ' Tigreses'. So I just want them to pack out at the fulness of time at least for the sake of their children (I love children). But the parents are too proud and obstinate.

I advise you to use wisdom mixed with humility except you don't dream of owning houses that people will live in some years from now

Six month is for a yearly tenant, if u pay rent monthly u get one month notice. In this he paid three months to me he is entitle to three month notice.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by mummydirect(f): 12:46am On Feb 11, 2016
menix:

Just inform a lawyer, cous he has to give u 6 months notice else sue someone's axx...
Heh! Wetin I hear u talk? Sue wetin? Person wey no get money to rent house dey sue, except him go make baba God him lawyer
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by menix(m): 12:54am On Feb 11, 2016
mummydirect:

Heh! Wetin I hear u talk? Sue wetin? Person wey no get money to rent house dey sue, except him go make baba God him lawyer

Hahahahahaha...
I just dey console am make him BP no rise...
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by MrDoGood(m): 1:39am On Feb 11, 2016
sexysegggs:
I rented a house where a friend solicit on my behalf through a woman called mama Mary. My friend met this woman to beg since we heard that the landlady doesn't want single tenant.

The struggle started as to who take bath in the bathroom. She compete with me for the bathroom just like waking up all her four kids as early as 4:00am, taking their bath one after the other for hours. But she and her kids works and school at three buildings distance from our compound. This woman (mama Mary) is a fellow tenant as I do. In fact, just a wall separates my room from hers. There was a time I went to meet her explaining reasons why she need to allow me take my bath first since where I work is far. Surprisingly, my plead finally cause enmity between us.

She finally succeed in helping the landlord to quit me from the room through her lies and others. My rent expired last month and I was called last night that I should quit the room in the next one month. Please what should I do? I'm in state of confusion now and depression. Right now, I couldn't afford to rent another room.

Op move on. The Lord said that place isn't for you.
She will come rent one of your house some day.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Rixy007(m): 2:04am On Feb 11, 2016
menix:

Good u paid into his account but next time endeavor to get ur receipts cous he could still deny the payment as ur rent.

Go plead with ur landlord(which in my case I won't do), if he refuses don't fret about it.
When the 1 month elapses, he will certainly come again then tell him u ve not got a place yet nd u need extra 5month to complete the mandatory 6month.

Sure with this he would get where u re driving to, if u like when it's 6month take him court, this will give u another 6month to 1yr free accommodation.

Just start making arrangements for funds to move cous the above ain't going to be easy, the landlord will find every way to make ur living there Hell...
we what you've said it's clear u don't know what landlords face wit tenants
Try build a house nd let's see if u can accommodate you wit that type of mindset
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by menix(m): 2:14am On Feb 11, 2016
Rixy007:
we what you've said it's clear u don't know what landlords face wit tenants
Try build a house nd let's see if u can accommodate you wit that type of mindset

My friend, did u read what u wrote

Ur grammar alone is a quit notice.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by lonelydora: 2:20am On Feb 11, 2016
sexysegggs:
I rented a house where a friend solicit on my behalf through a woman called mama Mary. My friend met this woman to beg since we heard that the landlady doesn't want single tenant.

The struggle started as to who take bath in the bathroom. She compete with me for the bathroom just like waking up all her four kids as early as 4:00am, taking their bath one after the other for hours. But she and her kids works and school at three buildings distance from our compound. This woman (mama Mary) is a fellow tenant as I do. In fact, just a wall separates my room from hers. There was a time I went to meet her explaining reasons why she need to allow me take my bath first since where I work is far. Surprisingly, my plead finally cause enmity between us.

She finally succeed in helping the landlord to quit me from the room through her lies and others. My rent expired last month and I was called last night that I should quit the room in the next one month. Please what should I do? I'm in state of confusion now and depression. Right now, I couldn't afford to rent another room.

Egbon, please leave their house for them. You are more than this type of compound yard.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Damalex4luv(m): 2:22am On Feb 11, 2016
I have a similar issues, me and my bro rented a house and our rent will due by march ending and the landlady has already started to threaten to evict us come the expiration of our rent and the same landlady collected both the agency and agreement fees claiming that's how she does her own so we paid 350k to her directly and didn't give the agent that took us to her a dime, but that's there problem. now during our stay in this house this woman has frustrated us in several ways ranging from disconnecting our light for more than a month and closing the water source at times immediately they took light. She doesn't even allow us to pack in the compound, we have engaged in several arguments with her but had to stop when she wants to turn us to nuisance in the estate. In short this woman is the most wicked woman have ever seen, she has no human feelings and very wicked and she's not even the owner of the house it's her brother house that stays in Germany. She has two kids a male and a female, they are both grown teenagers and the girl is always supportive of her actions but the boy is not but there is nothing he can to do to always curb her mother. Now the problem is this woman want to send us out after collecting agreement, agency fees and the actual house rent money from us. Pls what should will do because we too are not ready to go out without spending at least 3month to cover for our agency and agreement fee she collected from us if she's not ready to refund it.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by Scimo007: 2:54am On Feb 11, 2016
Get a lawyer, 6 months is quit notice and 1 month is just a piece of crap. Make him understand that u know ur right. I bet he got a better offer for ur room, thats why. Dont be scared. No fight, but make him understand that u know ur right.
Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by amtaken(f): 3:31am On Feb 11, 2016
If she's aa monthly tenant one month notice will suffice.

My prayer for you dear OP is for God to bless you and find you a better accommodation. He will send helpers to you speedily in Jesus name, amenm

menix:

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by AreaFada2: 3:32am On Feb 11, 2016
TOEZOFFICIAL:
If ur rent is renewed every year, u get 6months quit notice.. If u pay every 6months, u get 3months quit notice...3months will amount to a month notice....Jst find anoda place and pay for..Lawyers will jst take advantage of u, dry up few bucks that can rent an apartment for u...

Please see it from landlords' perspective too. I hope most people want to be landlord one day.

A man and his family from the church we pitied to give a flat to rent cheap messed up. Family appeared decent in church.

Instead of agreed initial 6 months rent, on moving in they pleaded to be allowed to pay 3 months first and 3 months by month end. By month end, stories began. Days to each month end, the man will not come home again. He will call his kids to come collect chop money somewhere in town. grin cheesy

When paying, he was paying small bits as if crayfish or maggi money.

In the end, they stayed like 7 months without pay. Though I had rough means at hand to kick them out, I used legal means to do so. Spending another 15k or so in the process.

Now, will such make a landlord nice or strict?

1 Like

Re: Help!!! Landlord Gave Me A Month Quit without reasons by enygmababe: 4:30am On Feb 11, 2016
Damalex4luv:
I have a similar issues, me and my bro rented a house and our rent will due by march ending and the landlady has already started to threaten to evict us come the expiration of our rent and the same landlady collected both the agency and agreement fees claiming that's how she does her own so we paid 350k to her directly and didn't give the agent that took us to her a dime, but that's there problem. now during our stay in this house this woman has frustrated us in several ways ranging from disconnecting our light for more than a month and closing the water source at times immediately they took light. She doesn't even allow us to pack in the compound, we have engaged in several arguments with her but had to stop when she wants to turn us to nuisance in the estate. In short this woman is the most wicked woman have ever seen, she has no human feelings and very wicked and she's not even the owner of the house it's her brother house that stays in Germany. She has two kids a male and a female, they are both grown teenagers and the girl is always supportive of her actions but the boy is not but there is nothing he can to do to always curb her mother. Now the problem is this woman want to send us out after collecting agreement, agency fees and the actual house rent money from us. Pls what should will do because we too are not ready to go out without spending at least 3month to cover for our agency and agreement fee she collected from us if she's not ready to refund it.

1. If the one year rent your paid is subsisting and will expire by march ending, this means that she has missed the opportunity of giving you a VALID notice to quit which should have been for six (6) clear months terminating on the last day of your current term or rent except you entered into an agreement to determine the tenancy with a shorter notice.

2. If that is not the case, Since she has failed to do that the option she has now is to wait till you default in your payment and become a tenant at will then on the basis of your default she can now quit you with a shorter notice.

3. The law does not allow you stay over in her house without paying rent so even after she gives you notice you are still entitled to pay her rent for the months you stay over except that this time it is called the mesne profit but it is usually the same amount month as you paid before.

4. I understand that you want to pay her back for her bad conduct and seek a means to do so. For you, this is easy cos your last rent was a year and she has missed the opportunity to give you a valid notice so before she can correct the anomaly, you would have stayed over for the 3 months you want to stay. Cos briefing a lawyer and quitting you legally will take her at the very least that 3 months but eventually, you will still pay the rent.

5. My question though is, if she does all those bad things to you and you don't have peace in the house, why do you think you will enjoy the 3 months you want to stay? If she can torment you when your rent is subsisting, what will she do when your rent is now in arrears?

6. My advice - you are bigger than her. Look for an apartment where you can enjoy and appreciate your rent

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Construction Of Luxurious 4 Bedroom Raised Bungalow (with Pictures) / Premium Lifestyle Loewe: Best Of German Electronics Now In Victoria Island Lagos / Ibadan Building Collapse: Evacuation Underway As Victims Are Been Rescued

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.