Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,413 members, 7,815,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! (11763 Views)

See What A Nigerian Prison In Kaduna Looks Like (photos) / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S / So Skinny! See What Obasanjo Looks Like After Being Released From Prison In 1998 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by WarfyBoy(m): 12:26am On Jul 10, 2009
WHICH KAIN COUNTRY B THIS FOR CRYIN OUT LAUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHICH KAIN RUBBISH BE AL THIS ONE SELFFFFFFF

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEYE GOVT. WITH YEYE BRAIN
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by TheSeeker(m): 12:33am On Jul 10, 2009
Warfy Boy:

WHICH KAIN COUNTRY B THIS FOR CRYIN OUT LAUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHICH KAIN RUBBISH BE AL THIS ONE SELFFFFFFF

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEYE GOVT. WITH YEYE BRAIN

For now YARADOAM LAND ---- The land that flows with oil and Niger Delta innocent blood grin
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by bawomolo(m): 12:45am On Jul 10, 2009
I don't blame the UK for getting rid of it's undesirables.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by infotunnel: 1:22am On Jul 10, 2009
We need more prisons in Nigeria. I wonder why no government had prioritized this before. Oh I know now, they don't plan to implement the law zealously. Meanwhile they are killing Nigerians both judicially and extra-judicially. Only 46,000 Nigerians are in jail (justly and unjustly) out of 150 million. That is too low.

http://nigerialog.com/blog/?p=102

Abolish death penalty now! Build more and more and more , jails.
Maybe all these electric cables theft will stop!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by ladykool(f): 2:17am On Jul 10, 2009
nigeria is a really useless country!!!

all the prisoners in naija is not enuf they want to add more prisoner!! mumu presido wey dey for naija that can not use his head to think

infact now thinking about it naija is a failed country look at ghana they are even making more improvement than nigeria  angry angry angry
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by slimfine(f): 2:42am On Jul 10, 2009
I was going to be offended by the UK for even suggesting to bring down their criminals to naija but these criminals are residing in the UK illegally so technically, they are Nigerian government problems because government takes care of its citizens. In other words UK are doing us a favor! they don't have/need to help us build some more semi nice prison for these criminals, they could just deport them and leave them on the streets of Nigerians states which my in turn jeopardise out society. my two cents!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Becomrich: 2:55am On Jul 10, 2009
if nigeria was the only nation , britain is building prison in. It send a red signal that thier is foul play. while would nigeria be the only country in britain that is be focus on. i think the nigeria govt should reject the offer. Let nigerian serve thier jail term in country where they have commited the crime. nigerian already face problem. we do not have the best legal system in the world. A prison in nigeria would be abused. we all know so.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by ScanLess: 10:45am On Jul 10, 2009

Most people in this forum talk as if they have amnesia or they have a horrible sense of history.
Britain will not do anything that favours other nations especially a black one at that. The reason they are contemplating building prisons in Nigeria is because of the legal and financial dilemma they found themselves in. The possibility of being sued for human right abuse for sending a prisoner to his death in Nigerian prisons and the high cost of maintaining a high number of Nigerian criminals in British jails.   

I think sometimes we should not heap 100% of the blame of hapless Nigerian criticizes, if the British Government had not encourage corruption (in the name of national interest) in the beginning, Britain would not be infected with millions of jobless illegal immigrants today. Remember when Idiagbon was trying to get Dikko and other to return the loot they stole and face trial in Nigeria, the British government did not cooperate.  Even today we hear Switzerland returning some looted funds but i have never heard of Britain returning any stolen money, meanwhile London is the second home (sometime the first) of many of our thieving politicians. I am sure Britain holds more stolen money than Switzerland.

In the 70s and eighties when we still had a semblance of governance people were not trouping to London, even though there was no requirement for visa and ticket was less than 400 naira.  The only people going to england then were people that could not pass GCE ( as it was said that London GCE was easier) and  poor people who had no career in Nigeria. The rich people would just go for holidays and come back home.

What had the British ever build in Nigeria to favour the country? they never built schools, they did not provide hospitals. etc. The roads and railway they built was to move the raw materials they extract (steal) to the ports. And the GRAs they develop is to house their officials and houseboys.

If the british want to stop youths walking across the Sahara desert and swimming the Mediterranean and the British Channel to get to Britain, they better help us build schools, infrastructures and insist on good government.

Thank you very much Wirinet
Britain has been wicked to us from the day their gun boat hit the shores of Lagos, till now they have not stopped being wicked. of all the things they want to do in Nigeria is to build prison, to dump people they reject in their country. they cant eat their cake and still have it  lai lai!!, that prison project will never work , it is a cursed project that will never work. a nation of hypocrites calling themselves civilized people, with right hand they accept stolen money and with left hand they pursue the victims of their imperialism and call them illegal immigrants. all  the natural resources they stole from Nigeria is what developed their  economy, now they think they can shut poor Nigerians out of the action. na lie!, let me tell  U guys NIGERIANS HAVE A MORAL RIGHT TO LIVE IN UK AND ENJOY WHAT OUR NATURAL RESOURCES CONTRIBUTED IN BUILDING, OR ELSE UK SHOULD RETURN ALL THEY STOLE FROM US 7 FOLD!, ITS IN THE BIBLE THEY BROUGHT TO US!!!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by wirinet(m): 11:17am On Jul 10, 2009
~Sauron~:

If they don't drill our oil and gas, Nigeria wouldn't have survived.
Credits to em for buying from us.
Are we going to eat our oil/gas? Do we even know what to do with it?
How many of our refineries are working at full pelt?

Our decision makers.

Biafra is part of Nigeria. . . . . .They are not going anywhere.

The cause of Niger-Delta crisis is the fact that our corrupt leaders are taking care of themselves rather than taking care of the masses.

There's enough to go round and i believe there should be a type of UK benefit system in the Niger-Delta.
Since these fishermen and farmers can't ply their trades, the government should work out an allowance for them every week to compensate for their loss.
It is not the duty of the Brits to sort that. . . . . .Nigeria is old enough to work that out themselves.

Hausas, Yorubas, Igbos and hundreds of other minority groups are all NIGERIANS.

Sauron, you disappoint me a great deal. You seem to be enjoying so much British hospitality that you look at situations from the point of view and interests  of the British to the detriment of your own people. Anyway Africa is used to betrays from indigenes, that is how Britain breeds loyalty.

How can you say that If they don't drill our oil and gas, Nigeria wouldn't have survived. Are you saying Nigeria as a whole would not survive or the ethnic Nationalities in Nigeria would not survive. Because the Nationalities in Nigeria had survived for hundreds if not thousand of years without any oil or even mineral resources. We even survived and developed (albeit slowly), without any mineral resources. We did not have wars and ethnic conflicts. I am Itsekiri and we live with the Ijaws for hundreds of years without any conflict whatsoever. So for  somebody to say "Nigeria without the oil woulda been worse than Niger republic and Somalia" is the greatest fallacy i have heard. It shows you have a zero sense of history or understanding of the history of your people.

Are you speculating that the reason for wars in Niger and Somalia is because they have no oil or mineral resources? I think you should take a course in history. Most conflicts in the world from time immemorial is usually caused by inequalities in the distribution of power,  wealth and opportunities between the various  components of that country. The components may be made up of social class, different religions, tribes,geographical location, etc.  Now go through all the conflicts the world had ever had, you will find  it is due to one inequalities within the system.

Now how can you say that "It is not the duty of the Brits to sort that. . . . . .Nigeria is old enough to work that out themselves." Who colonized us, who put us in the mess we find ourselves today, who is encouraging corruption in government. If Britain should make a Law that Bars corrupt politicians and their families from from obtaining visas, do you not think that that would be a greater deterrent that even going to jail? Because most of our polititians cannot stand not going to London at least once every month. But what do we have today? if you cannot show you have up to 5 million Naira in your account, or you have 500,000 pounds to invest in Britain, you would not be give a visa. Is that also not encouraging corruption?

If it is not the duty of the Brits to sort Nigeria out, how come it is their duty to sort Zimbabwe out. Why are they so determined to remove Mugabe?.

As i said Britain can build 100 prisons, if we churn out  millions of idle youths (both educated and uneducated) as a result of failed governments at the rate we are doing, illegal Nigerian immigrants would continue to flood  Britain.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by wirinet(m): 11:26am On Jul 10, 2009
ScanLess:

Thank you very much Wirinet
Britain has been wicked to us from the day their gun boat hit the shores of Lagos, till now they have not stopped being wicked. of all the things they want to do in Nigeria is to build prison, to dump people they reject in their country. they cant eat their cake and still have it  lai lai!!, that prison project will never work , it is a cursed project that will never work. a nation of hypocrites calling themselves civilized people, with right hand they accept stolen money and with left hand they pursue the victims of their imperialism and call them illegal immigrants. all  the natural resources they stole from Nigeria is what developed their  economy, now they think they can shut poor Nigerians out of the action. na lie!, let me tell  U guys NIGERIANS HAVE A MORAL RIGHT TO LIVE IN UK AND ENJOY WHAT OUR NATURAL RESOURCES CONTRIBUTED IN BUILDING, OR ELSE UK SHOULD RETURN ALL THEY STOLE FROM US 7 FOLD!, ITS IN THE BIBLE THEY BROUGHT TO US!!!

Thank you ScanLess, you are very right, under moral standard every Nigerian should be give a right to live in Britain as was the case in the 60s and 70s. They colonized us, stole our resources and are still stealing our resources and bequeathed us a very unstable country and bad illiterate rulers. So they should also take some responsibility for their past actions. At least others like Hong Kong, Australians, and even Jamaican have the right to live in Britain because, they had a similar experience to us.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Nezan(m): 12:00pm On Jul 10, 2009
Becomrich:

if nigeria was the only nation , britain is building prison in. It send a red signal that thier is foul play. while would nigeria be the only country in britain that is be focus on. i think the nigeria govt should reject the offer. Let nigerian serve thier jail term in country where they have commited the crime. nigerian already face problem. we do not have the best legal system in the world. A prison in nigeria would be abused. we all know so.
grin grin
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by papaejima: 1:19pm On Jul 10, 2009
@debosky,am really sorry for u,bt looking at ur posts and answers or attacks on me,it occured to me that u are not an africa,or if u are,u are one of those patronizing the west because of the crumbs that u pick off the floor and help ur stomach with.or u are one of those pple who hate nigeria and nigerians so much that u are ready to commit suicide. i really dont know where u got the fact that prisons are better maintained in pakistan and india more than in nigeria. are u kidding me or are u simply out of ur dumb mind,where did u get such stupid story from or where have u been to? yOU said that a country have to serve as a "case-study", and in ur deranged mind,that country has to be nigeria? if it were the nigerians that are perpetuating acts of terrorism in the UK,believe me that all nigerians living in the UK IRRESPECIVE OF WHETHER U ARE LEGAL OR NOT,CRIMINAL OR NOT WILL BE STUFFED INTO CONTAINERS AND SHIPPED HOME IN A GIFFY.why not start ur case study with countries that are a serious security threat to them.afterall,they have and are still gaining from nigeria till date.what are they gaining from these other countries? why hasnt the Brown govt offered to send the ROYAL MARINES to go and bomb the terrorists out of pakistan,are u fucking kidding me? u failed to highlight that aspect of my comment.i state facts and u know it cos u dont know me neither do u know where i have been to.nigerian will definitely fight this british "offer".what rubbish.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by JustGood(m): 1:25pm On Jul 10, 2009
you guys need not fight yourselves.

Nigerians are the most self-destructive people on the surface of the planet. That makes it easy for negative things to affect us and get magnified.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by papaejima: 1:41pm On Jul 10, 2009
pple,let me tell u something.you see,no matter how threat to security the pakistanis are to the british,no one dares to make the suggestion of going to build a prison in pakistan. if they ever make that singular policy error of doing such dumb thing,somebody will just wake up one day,pack a truck load of powreful TNTS,walk into that damn prison and reduce it to rubbles. they will also threaten the british interest world-wide.the brits are afraid of them,that accounted for why they are easily given permits and citizenships even when thay are known to be terrorists,criminals or inciting pple to commit terrorist acts. it is easy to bring such things to nigeria cos of corrupt govt officials. some countries are known as the land of the brave,bt it seem that nigeria will only be known as the land of the corrupt and warped. am sure that somebody some where is already making mental calculations of how much a pound is worth in naira,so that he can marry more wives,build more houses,deposit more money in british banks,buy the latest pleasure cars and definitely take more chieftancy titles. maybe we will see the advent of titles like CHIEF ONIGBESE 1, CHIEF ONYE ARA 1, CHIEF BA TURENCHI 1.real assholes. and that is the reason why idiots like debosky will want nigeria to be a "case-study" in britain building prison in nigeria to house convicted criminals. if they want to deport illegal immigrants,thats understandable,bt building a prison to house pple who commited crimes in britain,where in human history have anyone heard of that? i cant blame them atall cos once Mexico used to be the most corrupt country in the world,bt suddenly nigeria took her position.when the mexicans where asked how they did,they replied that they bribed nigeria to take over thier position  grin grin grin. isnt that  just wondreful?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by skyy04(m): 1:42pm On Jul 10, 2009
Nigeria welcomes UK prisoner plan

Nigeria's government says it is happy with a UK plan to help refurbish their prisons to allow Nigerians in Britain's jails to be sent back home.

A British official said investment was needed because conditions in Nigerian jails were too poor for UK prisoners.

Correspondents say such conditions would allow prisoners to block their transfer on human-rights grounds.

There are about 11,000 foreigners in British jails, including more than 800 from Nigeria.

Analysts say Nigeria's jails are seriously congested and often damage the health of prisoners.

The possibility of help from Britain was welcomed by rights groups, but they said it marked the failure of the Nigerian government to look after its own prisons.

Nigeria's Director of Public Prosecution Salihu Aliyu said it was a "positive move".

"It should be encouraged not only between Nigeria and UK but with other countries," he told the BBC.

A statement from the UK's Ministry of Justice said the deal being negotiated would allow Nigerians imprisoned in the UK and Britons imprisoned in Nigeria to serve their sentences in their own countries.

"We believe that prisoners should normally serve their sentences in their own country - freeing up prison spaces and saving the taxpayer money on enforced removals," the statement said.

The proposed deal would allow Nigerian convicts to be sent home even without their consent.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8142925.stm

Is this the biggining of the end of Nigerian government
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Shentz(f): 2:20pm On Jul 10, 2009
oh
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by wirinet(m): 2:51pm On Jul 10, 2009
Although I do not support Nigerians into crime abroad, but i make bold to say that it is not as bad as the international press and their acolytes make it seem.

Nigerians are mostly involved with petty crimes. These are mainly financial crimes dues to value system imbibed by our elders, politicians and society where the "concept of making it suddenly" is the order of the day. Also these crimes can be traced to the poverty level the immigrants are coming from, their immigration status which makes them unemployable and the fact that they are mostly educated (some with even BSC and MSC), so they are able to add ingenuity to their crimes. These crimes as i said are mainly petty crimes like working with forged papers, credit card fraud and other banking fraud, 419 aka yahoo yahoo fraud, dole fraud and so on. If  white British citizens that perform these petty fraud, I am sure it would not even make back page news, the person would get at most 6 months and be let off. But if a Nigerian pick a pocket in Trafalgar Square it would make CNN's breaking news immediately.

Also the other crime Nigerians are involved with  is drug courier. As i said I am not in support of crime by Nigerians and those caught should be punished according to appropriate laws, but sensationalizing crimes by Nigerians looks like a profitable business.
Look the world drug trade is a huge mulinational business involving many countries and Nationals. Nigeria and Nigerians are just a courier point in the distribution chain. The others involved are Afghanistan, Bolivia, Columbia for planting of coca plant, some other countries including Asian and European countries process the coca plant to cocaine, Nigeria is transit point to consumer Nations of Europe and the US. Also the Nigerians are mostly involved with swallowing a few Kg of cocaine. The bulk suppliers are Italians, the Colombians and others. I am sure that Nigerians cannot contribute more than 3% of world cocaine distribution, so why is the focus only on Nigerians.

What i am trying to say is that more serious crime are perpetuated by other nationalities. Nigerians hardly get involved with violent crimes. Even in financial crimes the East Europeans are masters of Hacking and online  financial fraud.

Please do not think i support crimes of any sort, what i am against is the special hated for Nigerians, including some Nigerians Nationals who have taken another nationality.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 3:10pm On Jul 10, 2009
wirinet:

Sauron, you disappoint me a great deal. You seem to be enjoying so much British hospitality that you look at situations from the point of view and interests  of the British to the detriment of your own people. Anyway Africa is used to betrays from indigenes, that is how Britain breeds loyalty.

Don't be disappointed. . . . . . .I tend to see things differently.
I am not enjoying any British hospitality. . . . .I am enjoying the sweats of ma labour.

How can you say that If they don't drill our oil and gas, Nigeria wouldn't have survived. Are you saying Nigeria as a whole would not survive or the ethnic Nationalities in Nigeria would not survive. Because the Nationalities in Nigeria had survived for hundreds if not thousand of years without any oil or even mineral resources.

Mineral resources have always been in Nigeria. . . . .
Sugar, Cocoa and several farm products have always been there but they were properly managed under the noses of em colonial masters.

We even survived and developed (albeit slowly), without any mineral resources. We did not have wars and ethnic conflicts. I am Itsekiri and we live with the Ijaws for hundreds of years without any conflict whatsoever. So for  somebody to say "Nigeria without the oil woulda been worse than Niger republic and Somalia" is the greatest fallacy i have heard. It shows you have a zero sense of history or understanding of the history of your people.

Don't wet your undies.
Surviving without oil when the White masters were around is different from surviving without oil when the colonial masters left.
Everything went tits up in Nigeria after the colonial masters left. . . . .The Northerners wanted everything. . . .The Igbos were marginalised and the minority groups remained in the shadow. No organisation and the struggle for power became much more intense.
Without the oil, Nigeria woulda degenerated to Rwanda or Sierra Leone.

Are you speculating that the reason for wars in Niger and Somalia is because they have no oil or mineral resources? I think you should take a course in history. Most conflicts in the world from time immemorial is usually caused by inequalities in the distribution of power,  wealth and opportunities between the various  components of that country. The components may be made up of social class, different religions, tribes,geographical location, etc.  Now go through all the conflicts the world had ever had, you will find  it is due to one inequalities within the system.

Save me your heresy. . . . . .
Without the OIL, Nigeria woulda been poor and poverty brings out over-aggression and anger.
Inequalities in the distribution of power and wealth would have been loads steeper and war would be imminent.

Now how can you say that "It is not the duty of the Brits to sort that. . . . . .Nigeria is old enough to work that out themselves." Who colonized us, who put us in the mess we find ourselves today, who is encouraging corruption in government. If Britain should make a Law that Bars corrupt politicians and their families from from obtaining visas, do you not think that that would be a greater deterrent that even going to jail?

Nigeria is now an independent state. . . . . .U don't expect the Brits to wipe our asses in this time n age.
What mess are you talking about? They left Nigeria before oil was ever discovered. Nigeria made loads of money in the oil boom era.
But what did our leaders do with it? They squandered it. Stop blaming the Brits for the mess of those greedy politicians.
How can Britain bar corrupt politicians from traveling. . . . .Where would that place them on the human rights ladder?
The whole world is watching. . . . .No country can place a bar on such issues. . . . .Stop dreaming!!!

Because most of our polititians cannot stand not going to London at least once every month. But what do we have today? if you cannot show you have up to 5 million Naira in your account, or you have 500,000 pounds to invest in Britain, you would not be give a visa. Is that also not encouraging corruption?

It is not encouraging corruption.
Proof of income is used to ascertain your survival when you come to the UK
The Brits want to be sure you will not engage yourself in quick-money schemes or petty crimes when you get there.

If it is not the duty of the Brits to sort Nigeria out, how come it is their duty to sort Zimbabwe out. Why are they so determined to remove Mugabe?.

There are reports of Mugabe's tyranny and gross abuse of human rights.
The international community are worried about Mugabe's government. . . .This is unlike Nigeria where democracy reigns supreme.

As i said Britain can build 100 prisons, if we churn out  millions of idle youths (both educated and uneducated) as a result of failed governments at the rate we are doing, illegal Nigerian immigrants would continue to flood  Britain.

That is up to Nigeria to sort out.
Anyone above 60 should retire so the army of youths can get a job.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by congoshine(m): 3:20pm On Jul 10, 2009
Let me get you clear Sauron,

You support the building of a prison in Nigeria by UK govt?
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 3:22pm On Jul 10, 2009
congoshine:

Let me get you clear Sauron,
You support the building of a prison in Nigeria by UK govt?

I do.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by ScanLess: 3:39pm On Jul 10, 2009
make una leave sauron alone , he is a shareholder in the prison construction company, if not the owner of the company. i ghota go wink
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 3:40pm On Jul 10, 2009
ScanLess:

make una leave sauron alone , he is a shareholder in the prison construction company, if not the owner of the company. chikina wink

I will cut you a contract if you agree with me. . . .
Can u supply the tiles and iron bars needed? grin grin grin
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by wirinet(m): 3:51pm On Jul 10, 2009
@ Sauron,
I have always been of the opinion that our low pace of social and  cultural evolution is the bane of Black African societies, both post colonial and precolonial, you can not absolve the British from the predicament we find our selves in today. In almost all countries the British ruled, they did not leave any form of physical, intellectual or social structure that will enable the mosiac of nationalities they forced together to survive.

The singular policy of creating a country comprising many Nationalities without regard for tribe resulted in some tribes residing in many different countries, and then handing over power to the minority tribe in one country while the same tribe is majority in another country planted the seed of perpetual discord and distrust. That policy was in place in Nigeria, Rwanda, Congo, Uganda, and many African countries.

You goofed when you said;

Mineral resources have always been in Nigeria. . . . .
Sugar, Cocoa and several farm products have always been there but they were properly managed under the noses of em colonial masters.

All these are not mineral resources, then these are cash crop that the British encouraged us to grow ( to the detriment of food crops) to drive British industries. Before colonialization we had no need for sugar and cocoa.

Save me your heresy. . . . . .
Without the OIL, Nigeria woulda been poor and poverty brings out over-aggression and anger.
Inequalities in the distribution of power and wealth would have been loads steeper and war would be imminent.

Please explain how inequalities in the distribution of power and wealth would have been steeper without oil. Because when we did not have oil, people eat and live peacefully in their villages, there was little inequalities in the distribution of power and wealth, and we had fairly stable societies.
Without oil how would we have had billionaires, while the majority of the people live in penury.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 4:06pm On Jul 10, 2009
wirinet:

@ Sauron,
I have always been of the opinion that our low pace of social and  cultural evolution is the bane of Black African societies, both post colonial and precolonial, you can not absolve the British from the predicament we find our selves in today. In almost all countries the British ruled, they did not leave any form of physical, intellectual or social structure that will enable the mosiac of nationalities they forced together to survive.

I disagree. . . . . .USA, Hong Kong, Australia etc are thriving.
Africans are just a greedy set of people who idolised power and wealth at the detriment of their own people.

The singular policy of creating a country comprising many Nationalities without regard for tribe resulted in some tribes residing in many different countries, and then handing over power to the minority tribe in one country while the same tribe is majority in another country planted the seed of perpetual discord and distrust. That policy was in place in Nigeria, Rwanda, Congo, Uganda, and many African countries.

This thing is synonymous to every country out there. . . . .
Even in the UK, you have the Scousers, Mancunians, Cockneys, etc. . . . .
They have come to accept one another. . . . . .Why can't Africans do the same.
Ghana is one good example. . . . .how often do you see them waging needless civil wars?

P.S. The Belgians ruined Rwanda.

You goofed when you said;
All these are not mineral resources, then these are cash crop that the British encouraged us to grow ( to the detriment of food crops) to drive British industries. Before colonialization we had no need for sugar and cocoa.

Hard-drive error. cheesy grin
So what did Nigeria survive on before colonization?

Please explain how inequalities in the distribution of power and wealth would have been steeper without oil. Because when we did not have oil, people eat and live peacefully in their villages, there was little inequalities in the distribution of power and wealth, and we had fairly stable societies.
Without oil how would we have had billionaires, while the majority of the people live in penury.

Before oil, Nigerians were just there. . . . . .It's an issue of more money more problems.
If it had been managed properly, Nigeria woulda been too great as we both know in the 70s.
Look at the quality of life in the oil boom era to what Nigeria had pre and post oil boom.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by wirinet(m): 4:13pm On Jul 10, 2009
Sauron and co,

If you want to test the desperation of Nigerians so that you can understand the effects of poverty caused in part and encouraged by your British host, perform this experiment;

Go to any pipeline in any state in Nigeria, the one used for pumping petrol to other parts of Nigeria. Look for one that is near a road so that people can get easy access to it. Then bust a huge hole and let petrol gush out. You can then go and announce the location of the busted pipe. Within minutes you will see people like flies all carrying buckets, pans and anything they can get their hands on. You will see people fighting to scoop fuel just to feed their family for a few days or at least a day. If you like carry a megaphone and announce that the fuel would definitely soon explode and burn everybody, and you would see that no one will listen. The inevitable out come is that they will all perish unless the law enforcement agencies stop them with guns or the flow of petrol is stopped.

PS: DO NOT TRY THIS IN ANY NORTHERN STATE OR YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR GENOCIDE IN THE HAGUE.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by ScanLess: 4:16pm On Jul 10, 2009
~Sauron~:

I will cut you a contract if you agree with me. . . .
Can u supply the tiles and iron bars needed? grin grin grin

i will glady supply you every material needed at these rates

1carton of tile=convertion of 1 gas flare in Niger Delta
1 length of rod = clean up of 1 oil spill site in Niger Delta
1bag of cement = closing 1 loot account in UK bank
1trip of sand = conversion of 1 loot mansion in UK to FGN property

if you agree with me lets deal
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by wirinet(m): 4:21pm On Jul 10, 2009
Scanless, you too much. If you go for presido of Niga, i go support you fully.
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by Sauron1: 4:23pm On Jul 10, 2009
wirinet:

Sauron and co,
If you want to test the desperation of Nigerians so that you can understand the effects of poverty caused in part and encouraged by your British host, perform this experiment;

How is that the fault of the Brits?
Your politicians are corrupt, they eat money and stash em in major European cities. . . .
How should that be blamed on the Brits?

ScanLess:

i will glady supply you every material needed at these rates

1carton of tile=convertion of 1 gas flare in Niger Delta
1 length of rod = clean up of 1 oil spill site in Niger Delta
1bag of cement = closing 1 loot account in UK bank
1trip of sand = conversion of 1 loot mansion in UK to FGN property

if you agree with me lets deal

Dream on, dreamer!!!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by amaze1: 4:42pm On Jul 10, 2009
Let us look at the bigger picture here:

The UK would be saving money [The biggest point]

The idea of having a "cushy" UK jail may deter would-be future criminals [who may be illegal immigrants in the first place]

It would free up the prison here and allow more criminal to be sent to jail.

Nigeria would have at least a proper prison that meets certain international standard - something that would save both nations headache from lawyers etc.

This prison if built could potentially create jobs etc.

ElRazur, i really do wonder if u know anything about nigeria and its jails,  by all means let the uk government build the jail,  it will bring in some much needed foreign exchange to nigeria not to talk about the jobs which u talked about,  however it most definitely will not save the uk any money,  and this is because it will at the most take one to two years for the new prison to revert back to its nigerian standard,  there is nothing the uk government can do about that,  and a smart lawyer can still prove using various other government projects as example that the human rights of those criminals especially those serving longer terms, would be breached by such a move,  there is no short term solution but if the british government wants to go ahead i will definitely urge them on,
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by shawn123: 5:04pm On Jul 10, 2009
Nigerians! we are a funny bunch of people. We say our leaders/government is our problem. Now even as Nigerians have gone to a country with good leadership, our people are running them out of Prison space. If the British is considering building a prison in Nigeria, dont you guys think its because our people are committing soo much crime over there. Are we cursed people? or what?
Some people are ignorantly saying they should be building schools, industries in Nigeria instead of building jails. I laugh out loud at that one, Why are they compelled to build schools for us, Do they owe us money or what? Bunch of lazy people, imagine someone saying they should be building schools and industries in Nigeria (shoo na dem be our papa and mama?)
At this point we should be worrying about the fact that we might just have criminal minds by default even if put in land of milk and honey!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by JustGood(m): 5:10pm On Jul 10, 2009
shawn123:

Nigerians! we are a funny bunch of people. We say our leaders/government is our problem. Now even as Nigerians have gone to a country with good leadership, our people are running them out of Prison space. If the British is considering building a prison in Nigeria, dont you guys think its because our people are committing soo much crime over there. Are we cursed people? or what?
Some people are ignorantly saying they should be building schools, industries in Nigeria instead of building jails. I laugh out loud at that one, Why are they compelled to build schools for us, Do they owe us money or what? Bunch of lazy people, imagine someone saying they should be building schools and industries in Nigeria (shoo na dem be our papa and mama?)
At this point we should be worrying about the fact that we might just have criminal minds by default even if put in land of milk and honey!

Gbam!
Re: Uk To Build N300m Prison In Nigeria ! by JustGood(m): 5:11pm On Jul 10, 2009
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8144361.stm

This company will do very well in Nigeria grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Air Force Begins War On South-south Militants / Aro Meta For Nigeria. . . . . .YORUBA And Others! / Power Supply To Reach 9000MW Soon – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.