Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! (12384 Views)

Dino Malaye Writes About Obama In A Church / The Gift Jonathan Gave Obama In 2014 / PMB Seats Gallantly Besides Obama In The G7 Summit. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Nezan(m): 4:57pm On Jul 13, 2009
JosBoy4Lif:

I wonder ooo, lets hear the response.
Obama sees Ghana actually trying to rid themselves of corruption and move forward. This speech would have absolutely no resolute impact in Nigeria.
grin grin
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Busta(f): 4:59pm On Jul 13, 2009
galatico:

I guess he doesn't want to be kidnapped by Militants,

very good point. LMAO grin

Most of all, I think he was driven away due to the ever increasing corruption rate in Nigeria.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by savanaha: 5:01pm On Jul 13, 2009
fayahsoul:

Ok. Well said.

but give us an idea of how "nigeria is to be fixed?"

There are so many things that can be done. First of all I think people (Nigerians) have to stop worrying about who is visiting and where and fix internal problems. Rather than aesthetically improving the country for an Obama visit why not fix urgent situation, like the fact that there are people who don't have running water, the reliance on generators. The absolute dependence on the fact that there is oil. . . .
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by IFELEKE(m): 5:06pm On Jul 13, 2009
This is Nigeria where crow of uncertainty begins an average man's day.
This is Nigeria where gluttons rob and rub it in our faces
This is Nigeria where extremists hide behind religion to commit heinous crimes
This is Nigeria where the only thing that works is corruption.
This is Nigeria, Our Nigeria and Obama will be commiting a political blunder by visiting hence the diplomatic snub.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by joobreel(m): 5:08pm On Jul 13, 2009
obama come to nigeria! for what?
nigeria politicians dont deserve such a luxury. they might he buys the idea of the messed up government they are running. he thought well cos he doesnt want to experience NEPA's blackout. or its now PHCN. either nepa or phcn, it makes no difference.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by savanaha: 5:09pm On Jul 13, 2009
fayahsoul:

I asked savanaha not you or is this savanaha with a different alias.

Well if you care to know my thoughts on your comment then i will tell u. I think it is crappy.

why? because:

The internet is a virtual reality. . .hello? When a society starts to use unreal exchanges, interactions and transactions in "cyber space" as an avenue for making a livelihood(an affluent one at that) then that society is already heading the wrong direction.

You say you are a nigerian?

Let me ask you. . .what exactly is your biological and indigenous historical connection to this corporate entity called nigeria?

That's not me. And I agree that the internet is not the means to start a revolution or whatever. Maybe it can be used to show the world or update on whats going on but it will never do the ground work. Most of the people suffering the most do not have access to the interenet. It would be great if we (youths) could do something but I think it unfair for those presently far removed from the problem to incite a riot.
I wish people would say that they have had enough and stand up but then am not in Nigeria. . . which means I will not ask others to risk their lives while I will be on Nairaland.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by emmydee(m): 5:12pm On Jul 13, 2009
do u want NEPA to take light while Obama is at d Airport!
e better make e him go Ghana jare!
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jul 13, 2009
all this is rubbish. the only reason he went to ghana and not 9ja was cuz he didn't want to spend the night writing his speech with a candle and sleep in darkness and doesn't want to take a bath with a bucket of water.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Busta(f): 5:17pm On Jul 13, 2009
al-qaeda:

all this is rubbish. the only reason he went to ghana and not 9ja was cuz he didn't want to spend the night writing his speech with a candle and sleep in darkness and doesn't want to take a bath with a bucket of water.

lol . . .c'mon naw, it can't be that bad.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 13, 2009
Busta:

lol . . .c'mon naw, it can't be that bad.

COME SEE FOR YOURSELF. SEEING IS BELIEVING. DON'T RELY ON WHAT ANYONE SAYS. JUST AND SEE. BESIDES, PHCN IS ON STRIKE STARTING TODAY.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by londoner: 5:22pm On Jul 13, 2009
Then why dont the Nigerian PEOPLE follow the good example of the Ghanaian PEOPLE and look inwards.

The corrupt politicians of Nigeria do what they do because they CAN. The majority of the population which dwarfs them in number choses to do no more than TALK.

The spotlight is on you, no longer the politicians come the next election.

One example is the whole electoral reform bill. Even Yar Adua has said citizens are the ones to make their reps bring up the issue and enforce their wishes.

Where are the threads here dedicated to actually DOING something about it? How many Nigerians are engrossed in making a change, rather than talking about what they dont like?

Nigerians have sadly become a nation who talk and do nothing. Both the people of Ghana and the people of America know that, afterall they put in opposition and the ruling parties could do nothing but watch. Nigerians on the other hand are waiting for the ruling party to vacate office and install the governement they want, without them lifting a finger.

You have the leaders of your making.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by londoner: 5:24pm On Jul 13, 2009
Nigeria was able to host both Bush and Clinton, Obama is not made of gold. He went to Ghana as a shining example of democracy and people's power in Africa. Nigeria has never fit that description.

Most importantly he went there for the best interest of the USA, I wonder if Africom will be mentioned soon.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Busta(f): 5:25pm On Jul 13, 2009
al-qaeda:

COME SEE FOR YOURSELF. SEEING IS BELIEVING. DON'T RELY ON WHAT ANYONE SAYS. JUST AND SEE. BESIDES, PHCN IS ON STRIKE STARTING TODAY.

Does that mean that everyone will have to go with or without light until their stupid strike is ova?
Something really needs to be done about naija electricity problems.
Giant of Africa ko, butt of Africa ni . . .really appalling.  angry
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Litmus: 5:27pm On Jul 13, 2009
1. Ghana had a corrupt free election

Did it?

2.  Ghana elected the opposite party.

What does that mean?

3.  Ghana have a tourist attraction

As one would expect given their nature. Serving Europeans is not the Nigeria idea of something to be grateful about

4.  Ghana's government is NOT as corrupt as Nigeria.

Are you sure?

5.  Ghana have a HOPEFUL populace

They certainly do hope that whites, African Americans and Caribbean will come help them

6.  Ghana's schools are superior to Nigeria's.

and yet Nigerian students excel the world over. Just imagine what we would do if our schools were better.

7.and probably most importantly

GHANA'S CURRENCY EXCHANGES BETTER ON THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET THAN NIGERIA'S naira.

British currency exchange is also better on the international market than that of America
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Nobody: 5:33pm On Jul 13, 2009
Busta:

Does that mean that everyone will have to go with or without light until their stupid strike is ova?
Something really needs to be done about naija electricity problems.
Giant of Africa ko, butt of Africa ni . . .really appalling.  angry

THATS EXACTLY WHAT IT MEANS. I CAN TELL YOU CONFIDENTLY THAT THERE HAS BEEN NO POWER IN NIGERIA SINCE 12AM. NIGERIA IS GONE. DON'T EVER EVER THINK OF GOING BACK. YOU'D BE THE BIGGEST FOOL ON EARTH IF YOU DO. EVEN IF YOU HAVE FAMILY THERE, JUST FORGET THEM(I HAVE!), THEY'RE USED TO IT NOW. TAKE THIS AS BROTHERLY ADVICE FROM SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 13, 2009
Litmus:

Did it?

2.  Ghana elected the opposite party.

What does that mean?

3.  Ghana have a tourist attraction

As one would expect given their nature. Serving Europeans is not the Nigeria idea of something to be grateful about

4.  Ghana's government is NOT as corrupt as Nigeria.

Are you sure?

5.  Ghana have a HOPEFUL populace

They certainly do hope that whites, African Americans and Caribbean will come help them

6.  Ghana's schools are superior to Nigeria's.

and yet Nigerian students excel the world over. Just imagine what we would do if our schools were better.

GHANA'S CURRENCY EXCHANGES BETTER ON THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET THAN NIGERIA'S naira.

British currency exchange is also better on the international market than that of America

JEALOUSY NO GOOD OH. EYA. SORRY FOR YOU AND 9JA. ANYWAY, I DON'T BLAME YOU. UR USED TO DARKNESS. I'M SURE IF YOU SAW A LIGHT BULB ON, YOU'D GO BLIND FROM TOO MUCH DARKNESS. REMAIN THERE DARK AGER.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Fhemmmy: 5:38pm On Jul 13, 2009

http://21hoursinafrica..com/
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by mayrho(m): 5:39pm On Jul 13, 2009
Nothing 4 Naija until we change our attitude to things we are going d***
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by NubianQ(f): 5:40pm On Jul 13, 2009
am guessing the weather is alot better in ghana grin

well, its really not a big deal to be honest. If Nigeria is not seen in a good light its no use bothering. its home to me thats all that matters wink
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by savanaha: 5:43pm On Jul 13, 2009
londoner:

Then why dont the Nigerian PEOPLE follow the good example of the Ghanaian PEOPLE and look inwards.

The corrupt politicians of Nigeria do what they do because they CAN. The majority of the population which dwarfs them in number choses to do no more than TALK.

The spotlight is on you, no longer the politicians come the next election.
One example is the whole electoral reform bill. Even Yar Adua has said citizens are the ones to make their reps bring up the issue and enforce their wishes.

Where are the threads here dedicated to actually DOING something about it? How many Nigerians are engrossed in making a change, rather than talking about what they dont like?

Nigerians have sadly become a nation who talk and do nothing. Both the people of Ghana and the people of America know that, afterall they put in opposition and the ruling parties could do nothing but watch. Nigerians on the other hand are waiting for the ruling party to vacate office and install the governement they want, without them lifting a finger.

You have the leaders of your making.

As Jamaicans say, "Don't give your soul away for a bag of flour and a pound of chicken back." I am not current with the electoral system in Nigeria but I wonder if some people get a bag of flour and a pound of chicken back just to vote in a new clown in suit.
Like I said before it would be great if people would say they have had enough and do what the Iranians did but even then. . .

Plus the politrickcians have the abiliy to pit suffer heads against themselves.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by DOW(m): 5:52pm On Jul 13, 2009
Leave this Obama guy alone, make we talk about Yar'adull and how nigeria go better
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by MandingoII(m): 5:55pm On Jul 13, 2009

Did it?

2. Ghana elected the opposite party.

What does that mean?

3. Ghana have a tourist attraction

4. Ghana's government is NOT as corrupt as Nigeria.

Are you sure?

5. Ghana have a HOPEFUL populace

6. Ghana's schools are superior to Nigeria's.

Ghana is a BETTER place to be than Nigeria.

This is why Obama went there.

Imagine, If Obama went to Nigeria he would be shaking the hands of the Governors that RAPE your country.

Good Governess = Praise.

Bad Governess (Nigeria) = disdain.

accept the truth.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by londoner: 6:01pm On Jul 13, 2009
Its not about a "better" place to be, he is the president not a tourist. It is poltical.

There are also "better" places in sub saharan Africa than Ghana, he did not go there.
In his term as president he will visit places with worse political or human rights records than Nigeria, places just as corrupt etc. I think people need to use their heads a bit more here.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by MandingoII(m): 6:05pm On Jul 13, 2009
Its not about a "better" place to be, he is the president not a tourist. It is poltical.

There are also "better" places in sub saharan Africa than Ghana, he did not go there.

The BEST place to see ACTUAL PROGRESS maintained.

The BEST place where people are WORKING TOWARD a common goal of PROGRESSION

The BEST place where corruption is not as commonplace.

The BEST place (other than South Africa) where Blacks in the diapora can feel at home and not KIDNAPPED.

how bout that
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Epiphany(m): 6:06pm On Jul 13, 2009
Let us face the facts; Ghana is better off in some areas, where Nigeria lags behind. Otherwise, why would people (Including our leaders) send their kids there to school? Why would industries and manufacturing companies chose to relocate to Ghana? That said, there is no way in hell anyone can compare Ghana's economic activities/outputs with that of Nigeria. We dwarf all their attempts to be called economic giants. Is it not OUR companies and industries that are helping them? Glo, the banks and even our telecoms companies send people to Ghana to 'teach' them how to do things!

Who knows, Obama may be visiting Ghana because he feels that he can PUSH them around concerning America's interest in Africa. Who knows whether he was told that he cant come into Nigeria to do what he wants to do because we are either too smart for America's antics or we will frustrate all their efforts at certain things.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Litmus: 6:08pm On Jul 13, 2009
al-qaeda (m)
JEALOUSY NO GOOD OH. EYA. SORRY FOR YOU AND 9JA. ANYWAY, I DON'T BLAME YOU. UR USED TO DARKNESS. I'M SURE IF YOU SAW A LIGHT BULB ON, YOU'D GO BLIND FROM TOO MUCH DARKNESS. REMAIN THERE DARK AGER.

[b]Why would I be jealous and what gave you that impression. I am on a Nigeria forum defending my country from overzealous attacks. I have not gone on a Ghana board to attack Ghanaians. I know that you and others would like to fool yourself into thinking Nigerians are jealous of Ghana or Ghanaians but that is typical of the sneaky nature of you people to turn received wisdom on its head. The truth is it is Ghanaians Jealous of Nigerians. They are the ones who peddle hatful remarks against Nigerians and not the other way around. On this board, for instance, Nigerians have supported and defended Ghanaians to the end something Ghanaians would never do till the end of the world. I speak plainly as is the way of Nigerians, I do not like Ghana or Ghanaians but the reason for this is that I do not like sneaky people generally. I hate the fact that up and down the internet they go about pretending to be Nigerians making anti Nigerian statements something you'd never find us doing unless in self defence. I think the people are the worst people in Africa and have seen nothing to change my mind. Nkrumah had a find message but they can’t go on living on the fat of that man. They aren’t pro Africans they are white worshipers full and simple.  If  Ghana rises and becomes the most developed country in Africa, as long as they have the best of intentions for blacks generally and support  the progress of Africa then that would be great.[/b]
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Jarus(m): 6:09pm On Jul 13, 2009
Why the fuss about obama's choice of Ghana? Must he visit Nigeria? He didn't visit kenya, his origin, neither did he choose South Africa, a country with more credible standing in international community(thanks to Mandela). I'm still struggling to fathom why we Nigerians want to commit suicide because Obama did not visit our country.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by londoner: 6:09pm On Jul 13, 2009
Mandingo, you do know Africa is a big place dont you?

What about Rwana, Mozambique? what about Tanzania, Botswana, Gambia etc, ?
There are countless countries who are doing very well in Africa and better than both Ghana and Nigeria and have been doing so long before Ghana's recent election.

Lets not try to rewrite history, lol
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by londoner: 6:12pm On Jul 13, 2009
@Jarus, I agree I dont see why people are acting as if he must come to Nigeria. I understand why he didn't and its unfortunate, but its the least of our worries. other presidents come to Nigeria all the time and actually leave after making concrete trading missions.

Nigeria needs more than just speeches, if you ask me we need to block out the rest of the world and focus inwards.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by fayahsoul: 6:12pm On Jul 13, 2009
savanaha:

That's not me. And I agree that the internet is not the means to start a revolution or whatever. Maybe it can be used to show the world or update on whats going on but it will never do the ground work. Most of the people suffering the most do not have access to the interenet. It would be great if we (youths) could do something but I think it unfair for those presently far removed from the problem to incite a riot.
I wish people would say that they have had enough and stand up but then am not in Nigeria. . . which means I will not ask others to risk their lives while I will be on Nairaland.

lol. I luv this sista.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by Litmus: 6:13pm On Jul 13, 2009
@Jarus (m)

Jarus
Why the fuss about obama's choice of Ghana? Must he visit Nigeria? He didn't visit kenya, his origin, neither did he choose South Africa, a country with more credible standing in international community(thanks to Mandela). I'm still struggling to fathom why we Nigerians want to commit suicide because Obama did not visit our country.

I don’t think the fuss is about that, to some people the argument is about what some have  written as to why Obama went  to Ghana and not because he went to Ghana first. As far as I’m concerned he has to visit one country so why not Ghana. I just do not buy all the stuff about good and bad leadership America is self-centred.
Re: Obama In Nigeria, Oh Sorry, Ghana! by londoner: 6:15pm On Jul 13, 2009
The reason Obama went to Ghana will only surface in about a years time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

God Really Blessed Nigerians By Allowing Them Vote Buhari In 2015 – Oshiomhole / PDP Leadership Intervenes As Makinde, Fayose Feud Deepens / CBN: Enaira Will Make Government Be Able To Send Payments To Citizens Directly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.