Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today (32111 Views)

FRSC Officials Return N27M Recovered After Deaths Of 8 Edo Indigenes. PICS / a / Lady Stikes A Pose As Airport Officials In Lagos Stare - .Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by abbey621(m): 3:41pm On Mar 10, 2016
All I see here is a man resisting arrest and I must say he's very lucky that this happened in the UK where most police officers only carry kondo grin grin grin In the U.S, he would have either been tackled or be at the mercy of a gun(NYPD, LAPD). Nigerians why must you people be so stubborn, tobaya dem go talk say dem no be criminals angry angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by fulanimafia: 3:47pm On Mar 10, 2016
obailala:
From his yellings, he mentioned something like "all because of penalty fare." I'm not in support of circumventing the system, but jumping on trains without a valid ticket is something people do everyday and this is absolutely not the treatment they get when caught. I just cant help but wonder what led to this extreme case.

That does not justify the criminal offence, and it's only applying this sort of treatment that will knock sense into the stubborn law breakers.

Besides, how do you know that's not how all of them are treated when caught? Say what you know.

This case was extreme because he was resisting arrest, despite knowing he had broken the law.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by olusholaonipede(f): 3:48pm On Mar 10, 2016
AjayiWrites:
The UK police today maltreated a Nigerian citizen, though the reason was not unknown, but the police was caught hitting and slapping him while the man was saying why are you hitting me, I am not a criminal...

Please watch and share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50l7STb1hM

It is criminal not to pay your fares or jump over the ticket barrier, so, he got himself into trouble with the London Transport Police.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Excuzeme: 3:48pm On Mar 10, 2016
wonlasewonimi:

Tell your friend he is a pathetic liar! The guy is a fare dodger and that's a crime on its own apart from disobeying simple instruction by the Police.

Let us assume the above is true.

Now, he was caught by a Police officer. l will also assume.
So, when the officer holds his hand or taps him on the shoulder and says "Lie Down"...

And the accused says "WHY, what have l done"?

Does common sense not dictate that the officer should just telling him "Let me see your Fare Card" or just plain "You dodged the Fair".... and then lead him away.

I bet if he did that , the 'accused" himself will know that he has been caught red-handed and will ask no further questions.

But the officer is one of those "bad Eggs" who wants to bully a black man (there are still many like that in the Police, especially in America ..but its strange to some extent, for a British Police who are generally more polite.).

Some of you are right though, if it were in the U.S, the officer would have shot him dead afterall, in the US, BLACK LIVES DONT MATTER! undecided
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 3:52pm On Mar 10, 2016
What about the actions of the police officers was wrong?

What I saw in the video, the 2 police officers were trying to arrest him, reason why I do not know but they must have a reason.

He kept saying he would follow them but he didn't want to be handcuffed, but like it or not that is police procedure to handcuff people when hey are arrested and this applies to white. black, blue red people. While I can understand that he wants to follow them and doesn't want to be handcuffed, unfortunately that is resisting arrest as the police procedure does not allow them to negotiate with suspects. They have to follow procedure. He kept resisting and they called reinforcement and were forceful in arresting him and I saw one of the officer hit him.

While I do not like the police hitting people, they have the batons for a reason don't they? and he resisted arrest so they were within their rights. If he feels otherwise he can easily file charges against the police.

Now you explain your PoV as to why you think the police were wrong.

TheGoodJoe:

When once the actions carried out by the Police is not right, they become criminals. So the question, what did he do does not come into play here.

The question is, are the actions of the police officers correct?

1 Like

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Excuzeme: 3:52pm On Mar 10, 2016
NwaNimo1:
The UK people handled the situation well - you can't start acting like a terrorists on the transport network and expect to get away with it.

The should have just tasered his balls at the beginning - next time he won't try and 'fare dodge' which despite his pleas is a criminal offence.

Are you a "DU*N*CE"?

How was he acting like a Terrorist?
You E..Diats just bandy words about without knowing the meaning!

How can a man who was pleading to know what he has done and "operating" with the Police be classified a terrorist?
... or id you not hear him even saying "I am ready to follow you"?

If l send you E-Slap ehn? angry angry
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by fulanimafia: 3:53pm On Mar 10, 2016
Excuzeme:

So, when the officer holds his hand or taps him on the shoulder and says "Lie Down"...

Does common sense not dictate that the officer should just telling him "Let me see your Fare Card" or just plain "You dodged the Fair".... and then lead him away.

[size=14pt]I bet if he did that , the 'accused" himself will know that he has been caught red-handed and will ask no further questions[/size].

But the officer is one of those "bad Eggs" who wants to bully a black man (there are still many like that in the Police, especially in America ..but its strange to some extent, for a British Police who are generally more polite.).

Some of you are right though, if it were in the U.S, the officer would have shot him dead afterall, in the US, BLACK LIVES DONT MATTER! undecided

Nobody is a fool, the officers were well aware that the man was aware of his offence, and he must be a dunce to think he hadn't already been caught red handed by all the camera's that litter the London underground/overground stations.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by erico2k2(m): 3:55pm On Mar 10, 2016
xp17:
the guy was resisting arrest. He should learn to obey orders and stop constituting public nuisance. Some folks think because they're black, it's inappropriate for a white policeman to arrest them. I call that bullshit undecided

Can you hear yourself? The same Nigeria that the military ordered the assault of warri women who were peacefully protesting yesterday.
Which other country does that?
What are you saying? Even if he was resisting arrest the officer had no need to hit him.he could lose his job for that.if you looked closely it's only one of them that was hitting the guy.The police have more ways of arresting.hitting is not one of them.that baton is only deployed when the suspect has an offensive weapon.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Excuzeme: 3:56pm On Mar 10, 2016
ttmacoy:
What about the actions of the police officers was wrong?

What I saw in the video, the 2 police officers were trying to arrest him, reason why I do not know but they must have a reason.

He kept saying he would follow them but he didn't want to be handcuffed, but like it or not [b]that is police procedure to handcuff people when hey are arrested [/b]and this applies to white. black, blue red people. While I can understand that he wants to follow them and doesn't want to be handcuffed, unfortunately that is resisting arrest as the police procedure does not allow them to negotiate with suspects. They have to follow procedure. He kept resisting and they called reinforcement and were forceful in arresting him and I saw one of the officer hit him.

While I do not like the police hitting people, they have the batons for a reason don't they? and he resisted arrest so they were within their rights. If he feels otherwise he can easily file charges against the police.

Now you explain your PoV as to why you think the police were wrong.

I am sure you dont know "Police Procedures" otherwise you will know that there are "levels of escalation" that an offender gets to, (if he is not violent), ......before he can be HANDCUFFED, IN PUBLIC?.

Or are you one of those "I just wrote my JAMB Exam today"? In that case, you are exonerated. undecided

Go and learn more but dont spew rubbish online.

1 Like

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Niseed(m): 3:56pm On Mar 10, 2016
saw the video and felt the officers were a tad extreme using a baton over a transport offence. in most cases you're issued an "on the spot fine" and court summons and be sent on your way, but in this case they preferred handcuffs.

I guess everyone is more cautious with random acts terrorism and violence so maybe the cops are justified. the last London bus bombing wasn't a laughing matter at all.

bottom line ....PAY YOUR FARE BEFORE HOPPING ON THE TRAIN. It will save you the embarrassment
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by wonlasewonimi: 4:05pm On Mar 10, 2016
Excuzeme:

I bet if he did that , the 'accused" himself will know that he has been caught red-handed and will ask no further questions.

Please don't brandish the race card in this case. When a police officer ask you to get down on your knees, don't argue, just do it! You can seek redress afterwards. The guy is clearly violent and resisting arrest. BTW, the guy knows his offence...he said 'because of the penalty fare you're treating me this way.'
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 4:06pm On Mar 10, 2016
Really, there are escalation levels for getting handcuffed? Really?

There are escalation levels for dealing with different levels of suspects I agree e.g. if the suspect is armed more force will be used, but it is basic for suspects to be handcuffed to protect both the police and the suspect. The police do not have to handcuff a suspect, but they are within their rights to do so based on their judgement and will not negotiate with you on not being handcuffed simply based on please don't handcuff me I will follow you.

We do not know what transpired before the video started so we are speculating about the cause but if the police have reason to arrest you and want to handcuff you do not really have the right to say no. the procedure is you obey, follow them to the station, give your statement, you have the right to call a lawyer and defend yourself.

Thanks for the insult btw, shows you can conduct a mature conversation doesn't it?

Excuzeme:

I am sure you dont know "Police Procedures" otherwise you will know that there are "levels of escalation" that an offender gets to, (if he is not violent), ......before he can be HANDCUFFED, IN PUBLIC?.

Or are you one of those "I just wrote my JAMB Exam today"? In that case, you are exonerated. undecided

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by bson: 4:11pm On Mar 10, 2016
Obedient is better than sacrifice, that's my take. Simply go down, let them have your hands save yourself the beating, explain self and ask same why Question when you get to the station than Form HardMan, at the end of the day you still surrender with enough beating.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 4:31pm On Mar 10, 2016
How do we know he wasn't told why he was being arrested? I don't recall him saying anything like "what did I do or why are you arresting me" in the video which suggests he knows why.

Also the video obviously did not start from the beginning so I am sure they must have told him why he was being arrested. From my watching the video, the issue seemed to be he didn't want to be handcuffed not that he didn't know why they were arresting him.

How do we know if the issue probably didn't start with the station staff who had to radio the police? Sometimes if you evade train fares and the station staff try to fine you and you resist or are violent against them they will call the police to intervene.

GeneralShepherd:

He is by law entitled to an explanation as to why he is being arrested. You don't just scream orders and expect the man to lie down like a dog
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 4:34pm On Mar 10, 2016
I agree that if the police were wrong they should be tried, but from the video I don't see what they can be charged on.

They want to arrest him, he resisted saying he didn't want to be handcuffed. The police do not have to negotiate with you on whether you are handcuffed or not, and he refusing to be handcuffed is legally resisting arrest which is it a crime in itself.

Sylverbox:
The best thing about this is that I am sure he will get justice for all of this here in the Uk. Even if did something wrong, he was willingbto cooperate but was still being beaten. Trust me thise police men will be tried. I am too sure of that

1 Like

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Ebenezerk2: 4:37pm On Mar 10, 2016
If it was because the guy didn't pay transport fare, it can only happen in UK, Police don't stay in train station except there is a call for it, people do that in USA, I don't just like UK, their racism is no 1
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by erico2k2(m): 4:44pm On Mar 10, 2016
wonlasewonimi:

Please don't brandish the race card in this case. When a police officer ask you to get down on your knees, don't argue, just do it! You can seek redress afterwards. The guy is clearly violent and resisting arrest. BTW, the guy knows his offence...he said 'because of the penalty fare you're treating me this way.'
We don't do so in England.u just can't lie down cos they said so.people ha e died from lying down
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by erico2k2(m): 4:47pm On Mar 10, 2016
ttmacoy:
I agree that if the police were wrong they should be tried, but from the video I don't see what they can be charged on.

They want to arrest him, he resisted saying he didn't want to be handcuffed. The police do not have to negotiate with you on whether you are handcuffed or not, and he refusing to be handcuffed is legally resisting arrest which is it a crime in itself.

They would be charged for it and also the home office will deal with him.Police ha e no right to hit anyone of they ain't violent. And it's on video.did yoy see how the rest of the officers put thier hands at thier back??they where excluding themselves from the event.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by starwar(m): 4:53pm On Mar 10, 2016
UK of all country
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 4:53pm On Mar 10, 2016
This is an extract form the UK police procedure and it clearly states that the police have the right to use reasonable force to arrest you if you resist. The video started with just 2 officers and he kept resisting until they brought in reinforcement. If he truly believes he hasn't done anything he should have obeyed the police, go to the station, ask for his right to make a call and call a lawyer to defend himself.

You do not resist arrest and argue that you do not want to be arrested. What do you expect the police to do, beg him?

Also we do not know what happened why they are arresting him as the video did not start from the beginning of the situation. Things must have escalated before the police were called in the first place so I still do not see why you are so convinced the police will be charged.

Try to look at it logically and not emotionally, and look at it if that was a white man would you say the same?

Police powers to use reasonable force

If you try to escape or become violent, the police can use ‘reasonable force’, eg holding you down so you can’t run off.

You can also be handcuffed.

The police have powers to search you when you’re arrested.

https://www.gov.uk/police-powers-of-arrest-your-rights

erico2k2:

They would be charged for it and also the home office will deal with him.Police ha e no right to hit anyone of they ain't violent. And it's on video.did yoy see how the rest of the officers put thier hands at thier back??they where excluding themselves from the event.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by justwise(m): 5:00pm On Mar 10, 2016
erico2k2:

They would be charged for it and also the home office will deal with him.Police ha e no right to hit anyone of they ain't violent . And it's on video.did yoy see how the rest of the officers put thier hands at thier back??they where excluding themselves from the event.

You are wrong, police do if you resist an arrest.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by justwise(m): 5:02pm On Mar 10, 2016
Ebenezerk2:
If it was because the guy didn't pay transport fare, it can only happen in UK, Police don't stay in train station except there is a call for it, people do that in USA, I don't just like UK, their racism is no 1
[b][/b]

How do you know that he was arrested because of the colour of his skin?
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Heshei: 5:16pm On Mar 10, 2016
Should i blame them ... No !!!
They probably got the wrong guy but with reason he will be apologised to if he is not an offender and allowed to continue his journey...But I'f it were in Nigeria, He wouldn't come out of that police nest without coughing out some doe.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by fuckpoverty(m): 5:16pm On Mar 10, 2016
it's absurd,dats y naija boys no get joy 4 d whites
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 5:25pm On Mar 10, 2016
Another extract from a legal website on resisting arrest so I don't not see anything from that video that will lead to the officers being charged.

he should have obeyed, go to the station and get a lawyer. Even if he can't afford a lawyer there are lot of pro bono lawyers around, the law states you will always be provided a lawyer to defend you.

One universal rule police officers must follow is that they are not allowed to use excessive force or treat the arrestee cruelly. Generally, police officers are only allowed to use the minimum amount of force necessary to protect themselves and bring the suspect into police custody. This is why people are advised to never resist an arrest or argue with police. The more a suspect struggles, the more force is required for the police to do their job.

erico2k2:

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by bittertruthz: 5:35pm On Mar 10, 2016
Excuzeme:

Do you people even pondr a second an try to understand what "an arrest" is... then join it with "resisting"?
otherwise this sort of thrash wont be coming out from your brains.

Just because he is a Nigerian, he must be treated like a Dog....and it is okay?

I just showed this to a few white friends and the common thing they are all asking ... is the same question the guy was asking: WHY! WHY !! WHY!!

I went further to ask them if they would have the temerity to ask an officer "Why, what have l done"?... if he asks them to lie down in public?

-One said its my fundamental human right to be treated with dignity, l will sue
-Another said, If he can tell me why he wants to embarrass me in public, then he will have to "invite me" to the Precinct and l will oblige. He added, l can see any weapon the guy is holding or how he is a threat to "public peace" that cutting him such coutesy will harm the Police men or the Public!
-Another said "I will complain about this issue and request for more information, using Freedom of Information Act (their own version of our own FOI Law)

So, for three "white people", non agreed the man should be treated this way!

but it is our own black brothers that are shouting "he deserves it, he should have rolled on the floor as directed".

Una see una life? Na so una life worth!
May be its not just Poverty of the Purse....... but also "Poverty of the Mind"

You writing with 7 colors as if we never see white man before. I live with white and see them everyday.
It is better to be gentle and treated like human than to be rude and treated like animal.

Its not new that crime that got black man convicted might not get a white guy convicted. More blacks are killed in America than white.
WHEN THEY ASKED A NYPD OFFICER WHY MORE BLACKS DEATH THAN WHITE. HE SAID IT IS VERY LIKELY THAT BLACK MAN WILL RESIST ARREST BUT WHITE PEOPLE LIKELY WONT RESIST.

If that guy was cooperative with the authority, it wont escalate to the extent of videoing. IM NOT SAYING THE POLICE WAS RIGHT BUT YOU DONT GIVE YOUR BODY TO POLICE TO BEAT UP JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO CLAIM YOUR RIGHT.

THAT SCENE WAS AVOIDABLE IF THE SO CALLED NIGERIAN WAS GENTLE.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Cheechy(f): 5:35pm On Mar 10, 2016
xp17:
the guy was resisting arrest. He should learn to obey orders and stop constituting public nuisance. Some folks think because they're black, it's inappropriate for a white policeman to arrest them. I call that bullshit undecided

Can you hear yourself? The same Nigeria that the military ordered the assault of warri women who were peacefully protesting yesterday.
Which other country does that?

PLEASE TELL THEM!!

..follow SIMPLE instructions ,...NO WAY..I am an African/Nigerian/Black Man...i have rights

I don't know any or have heard of any Nigerian Policeman who forewarns you and GIVES you the TIME to comply of your own volition

He is verrrrrrry lucky he broke the law there!.. Ordinary citizens in Nigeria will set ablaze for the being "suspected of theft" let alone being beaten into oblivion /manhandled like an animal by your beloved BLACK Nigerian police.

You are busy shouting you a not a criminal ..... instead of complying and using THEIR process to vindicate yourself...

Bloody Idiot.

I hail the Policemen in the video, very polite and respectful.... if it was in Nigeria , by the second utterance of I am not a criminal he would have lost several prominent teeth..!!

2 Likes

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by justwise(m): 5:37pm On Mar 10, 2016
Excuzeme:

I'm sorry but i don't see the point you are trying to make in this case, ttmacoy is right.

Whether that Nigerian is innocent or not does not matter, don't resist an arrest simple.

The police will definitely tell you why they are arresting you and then say: "I am arresting you for [They crime they committed ].
You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. Do you understand?

That Nigerian was just being typical Nigerian trying to play race card

2 Likes

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 10, 2016
Errr, this guy deserved to be treated like a struggling, stubborn goat, resisting being chucked into the trunk of a car.

Why didn't he simply pay his fare in the first instance, or at least admit he was in the wrong, and offer to pay? British Transport Police have much better things to do, and would rather NOT have had to struggle with a non-paying commuter.

I have seen fare dodgers in the past, all races and colour, I'm yet to see any treated like this guy was. Because they admitted they had not paid, for whatever reason. They either get off with a caution, or if the Officers are feeling particularly irate, they take the offender's details, and then the commuter has the option of either paying at a later date (if they have no money on them), accepting a fine, or choosing to contest the offense in court. They certainly don't get hauled off in handcuffs. Our TV star here asked for it, and got it.

This guy acted like fare dodging is NOT a crime, and argued when he was apprehended. I can only imagine his belligerent tone when he initially addressed the Police Officers. Why should they accept it? I suppose he expected a pat on the back.

Oh well. If he wanted to be famous, he certainly is now, his face will be remembered for a while, but for the wrong reasons.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by obailala(m): 5:40pm On Mar 10, 2016
fulanimafia:

That does not justify the criminal offence, and it's only applying this sort of treatment that will knock sense into the stubborn law breakers.

Besides, how do you know that's not how all of them are treated when caught? Say what you know.

This case was extreme because he was resisting arrest, despite knowing he had broken the law.
I am saying what I know, this is my neighbourhood.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Much Cn It Cost To Travel From Nigeria To Ghana / Tanker Crushes 10 To Death In Ibadan Market / Dangote Trailer In Accident At Stadium Bridge Surulere Lagos (graphic Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.