Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,809 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today (32144 Views)

FRSC Officials Return N27M Recovered After Deaths Of 8 Edo Indigenes. PICS / a / Lady Stikes A Pose As Airport Officials In Lagos Stare - .Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by maestro2000(m): 9:06pm On Mar 10, 2016
According to people who were there and if you listen to the video attentively you will understand the guy broke a law by not paying the train fare, and when the police approached him, he should have obeyed and lay on the ground so he can be cuffed which is standard procedure instead he resisted being cuffed and offered to follow them , did he actually think he is still in nigeria?

The British transport police asked him to lay down so he can be cuffed but he resisted and by not being cuffed he posed a threat to them and himself thereby resulting to the video we just saw. Nigerians need to realise that each country has its own law even here in naija you no fit do that to a police officer, it's either you lose a body part or you lose your life.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ElPhenomenal(m): 9:14pm On Mar 10, 2016
he should have obeyed before complaining
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Geehan(f): 9:27pm On Mar 10, 2016
This man is obviously trying to play the race card. I must commend the police officers. I have evaded train fare from Stratford to Tottenham Hale station and I was caught at the barrier. A police man was at the station that night as well, he noticed and asked me for my ticket and I lied to him....he only asked if I had money on me , he took me to the machine and made me buy the ticket.

Long story short, when u know u have bleeped up, there's no point trying to play smart, their law is to handcuff anyone placed under arrest. He was obviously shouting like a lunatic, I pray they don't place him on medication for displaying such a psychotic behaviour.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by erico2k2(m): 9:28pm On Mar 10, 2016
maestro2000:
According to people who were there and if you listen to the video attentively you will understand the guy broke a law by not paying the train fare, and when the police approached him, he should have obeyed and lay on the ground so he can be cuffed which is standard procedure instead he resisted being cuffed and offered to follow them , did he actually think he is still in nigeria?

The British transport police asked him to lay down so he can be cuffed but he resisted and by not being cuffed he posed a threat to them and himself thereby resulting to the video we just saw. Nigerians need to realise that each country has its own law even here in naija you no fit do that to a police officer, it's either you lose a body part or you lose your life.
from where did you get that you must lay on teh ground for you to be hand cuffed?
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Brigadier7(m): 9:41pm On Mar 10, 2016
dunkem21:
I watched the video and to be fair, the guy disobeyed and held his ground instead of following them to know why he is being frisked ..

I wish you could see how a group of policemen used *talk true* baton and the butt of a gun to beat craze comot for one hawker today ..

..but then, how are we sure he is a Nigerian
every black person is a Nigerian! smh for the mods!! I didnt hear him say he was frm Nigeria!! The guy must have erred! You can't just be on your own and police will come and harass you na
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 9:53pm On Mar 10, 2016
How have I contradicted myself?

Maybe the way I typed it was a bit jumbled up so I will clarify.

The police do not have to handcuff you to arrest you, but they are well within their rights to do so for both their protection and that of the suspect.

The proper procedure when you are getting arrested is to comply with police orders, get a lawyer and defend yourself not struggle with them. We do not know what transpired before the video started, and I wouldn't even be surprised if he wasn't in a situation with someone else e.g. if as some people are suggesting it is relating to fare dodging then it would have started with the train station staff who would then call police because things escalated. Before they would call police he must have been threatening or done something to warrant that.

When police come they will not immediately put their hands on you trying to grab and arrest you, it obviously escalated to that point most likely because he was arguing and resisting arrest.

If he feels he did no wrong and was wrongly arrested or manhandled then he is free to lodge a complaint with the independent police body who will investigate. If his claim is that they wanted to handcuff him then sorry he has no right not to be handcuffed if he is being arrested. You do not have the right to choose your mode of arrest.

There are escalation levels for dealing with different levels of suspects I agree [/b]e.g. if the suspect is armed more force will be used, but it is basic for suspects to be handcuffed to protect both the police and the suspect. The police do not have to handcuff a suspect, but they are within their rights to do so based on their judgement and will not negotiate with you on not being handcuffed simply based on please don't handcuff me I will follow you.

We do not know what transpired before the video started so we are speculating about the cause but if the police have reason to arrest you and want to handcuff you do not really have the right to say no. the procedure is you obey, follow them to the station, give your statement, you have the right to call a lawyer and defend yourself.

Thanks for the insult btw, shows you can conduct a mature conversation doesn't it?

Excuzeme:

[b]
Just read what you wrote and how you keep contradicting yourself......... just to argue for argument sake!
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 9:55pm On Mar 10, 2016
You cannot base your argument on the video as it was obviously not the start of the situation.

Some eye witness accounts said they were struggling earlier and one of the officers fell down. Now I agree he did not hit the officer but that's what can happen when you are resisting arrest, any small thing out of the struggle can be attributed to being violent and body harm to the officers.

Before the police would have been called he must have been arguing with train staff about not paying a fine. If he was a fare dodger as stated then he should have calmly accepted the 20 pound fine, but he probably tried to do the Nigerian agboju and it escalated to that point.

Excuzeme:

Ofcourse, that never happened, he was "resisting arrest"! ...unfortunately, we live in an era of 'phone-to-video'. undecided

We all saw the Video and we know he never touched the officers....yet he is being charged for Assault and occasioning bodily harm (to the officers!)

See, it sis not only Naija Police that can lie, British Police sef too lie against darky people!

He just needs to get a good Lawyer and counter-sue them so that both cases are heard simultaneously
Video evidence is there.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by YomiYarzo: 9:57pm On Mar 10, 2016
we seem to let sentiment and emotions override our judgment
rule number one: you should not resist arrest from a police officer
if arrested submit and if you feel you are wrongly arrested, the courts is a sure way to seek redress
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:01pm On Mar 10, 2016
maestro2000:

you nailed it

he failed to follow orders, no police officer would want a suspect that is not in his/her control, suspect pose risk to the public and the officer hence police would put you in handcuffs

the guy was resisting arrest and unfortunately he met a police officer who was quick to use the baton

being in handcuffs doesnt mean you are a criminal, it is all safety procedure for the officer
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Miami11: 10:03pm On Mar 10, 2016
The man is not only shameless, loud, arrogant but also too old for such scenery.

He is also too loud, village crass,

He should thank God he was not in US, he would have been 6 feet under now,

How does a man this old, not obey the law and police, why is he causing a scene,

If he was in U.S his charges would increase starting with

Resisting arrest, public nuisance, abuse of public system, each carrying a maximum of maybe a year in jail, the system here does not joke.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by toprealman: 10:04pm On Mar 10, 2016
probably a ticket issue.....
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by poseidon12: 10:28pm On Mar 10, 2016
MIPNIG:
Come back brother... In Nigeria you can't be treated like this.

Are you sure?
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by VocalWalls: 10:30pm On Mar 10, 2016
The man is already guilty for resisting arrest.

"Get down on the floor" was an instruction, he could have obeyed an officer, he refused. That's another charge.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by NovusHomo(m): 11:05pm On Mar 10, 2016
dunkem21:
I watched the video and to be fair, the guy disobeyed and held his ground instead of following them to know why he is being frisked ..

I wish you could see how a group of policemen used *talk true* baton and the butt of a gun to beat craze comot for one hawker today ..

..but then, how are we sure he is a Nigerian

Thank you. It is called "Resisting Arrest".
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by IYANGBALI: 11:24pm On Mar 10, 2016
aluko360:

Abeg, I go need am.

I wan enter Russia next week. I hear say dem hate blacks for dat side.
Go read psalm 27,35,91 and 105 for hundred times each for 21 days. Come back and thank me

1 Like

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Excuzeme: 11:38pm On Mar 10, 2016
maestro2000:
According to people who were there and if you listen to the video attentively you will understand the guy broke a law by not paying the train fare, and when the police approached him, he should have obeyed and lay on the ground so he can be cuffed which is standard procedure [/b]instead he resisted being cuffed and offered to follow them , did he actually think he is still in nigeria?

The British transport police asked him to lay down so he can be cuffed but he resisted and by not being cuffed[b] he posed a threat to them
and himself thereby resulting to the video we just saw. Nigerians need to realise that each country has its own law even here in naija you no fit do that to a police officer, it's either you lose a body part or you lose your life.

Abeg park well! "he posed a threat to the Police by not being cuffed"?
You mean every one arrested by the Police poses a threat to the Police, once they are not cuffed? Which school did you go?
That means even a driver who makes a wrong turn needs to be cuffed, right? if you dont have MOT, you need to be cuffed? If you hit the kerb and the Police stop you, you need to be cuffed? You see how ridiculous you sound? grin grin

I have forgotten to buy my ticket on the said Trams/Train some decades ago, (l honestly forgot back then) and was stopped by the checker/Transport Police.
He asked for it and l said l dont have it (yea, l broke the law because l dont have a ticket and l am on the Train!).
But like many other people l see all the time, he did not proceed to "Handcuff me" in public, like l was a terrorist of some sort!
Dont you know what putting someone in handcuiffs, publicly mean? How can that be "standard procedure", if you even know what that means?

I explained what happened to him but he still insisted l had broken the law.
he brought out his Logbook, took my details and issued me an "on the Spot fine" and asked me to get down at the next stop so l can buy a ticket, a(nd not run foul a second time incase l was stopped before reaching my destination!).
well, l reasoned you cant arrest me for the same offence on the same train (wrong, go and ask dasuki and Metuh! grin )... an djust kept on the journey.

Assuming he had shouted at me: Lie down..Lie Down...and brought out 'cufflinks', l will simply tell him to write out the fine (which is the prescribed punishment for "jumping ticket"wink and let me go.

No need to humiliate me with a Handcuff! That would be over the top and malicious. I will actually seek redress.... but l will not fight him, just like this guy did not raise a finger against them.

1 Like

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by AceMiss: 11:43pm On Mar 10, 2016
The man was clearly avoiding arrest cos he has overstayed his visa,gobe! But seriously,the dude messed up(resisting arrest,why on earth). Well,i hope he learns from this.
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by adeyinka1985: 12:07am On Mar 11, 2016
This is not racism or maltreatment of a Nigerian
1. In the UK you cannot say whether or not you are handcuffed. Handcuffing protects the officers from spontaneous attacks.
2. He was aggressive, confrontational and loud. If a white man acted in the same way he would have been subject to the same treatment. P.S. It took three officers to handcuff him
3. He undermined their authority in public place
4. Refusing arrest is a crime thus his ITK made him a criminal

In conclusion black people should stop playing the racecard. If the colour of your skin is your only claim to fame you should submit to the oppressions of your race and do so quietly
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Excuzeme: 12:25am On Mar 11, 2016
adeyinka1985:
This is not racism or maltreatment of a Nigerian
1. In the UK you cannot say whether or not you are handcuffed. Handcuffing protects the officers from spontaneous attacks.
2. He was aggressive, confrontational and loud. If a white man acted in the same way he would have been subject to the same [s]treatment. P.S. It took three officers to handcuff him
3. He undermined their authority in public place
4. Refusing arrest is a crime thus his ITK made him a criminal

In conclusion black people should stop playing the racecard. If the colour of your skin is your only claim to fame you should submit to the oppressions of your race and do so quietly[/s]

He was loud, Yes....

but Aggressive? Confrontational?
likely you dont even know the meaning of those words sef!
angry angry

Demented self-hater!
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Excuzeme: 12:30am On Mar 11, 2016
ttmacoy:
You cannot base your argument on the video as it was obviously not the start of the situation.

Some eye witness accounts said they were struggling earlier and one of the officers fell down. Now I agree he did not hit the officer but that's what can happen when you are resisting arrest, any small thing out of the struggle can be attributed to being violent and body harm to the officers.

Before the police would have been called he must have been arguing with train staff about not paying a fine. If he was a fare dodger as stated then he should have calmly accepted the 20 pound fine, but he probably tried to do the Nigerian agboju and it escalated to that point.

Maybe something happened not cuaght on video...CCTV will show that one.

But you have made a lot of "suppositions" ...and used it to crucify the man! shocked shocked

Its either it happened, ...or it didn't happen. It can be "May be" it happened. undecided
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by adeyinka1985: 12:44am On Mar 11, 2016
Excuzeme:

He was loud, Yes....

but Aggressive? Confrontational?
likely you dont even know the meaning of those words sef!
angry angry

Demented self-hater!

Did I offend you?

Put a plaster over it
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by adeyinka1985: 12:46am On Mar 11, 2016
Excuzeme:

But you have made a lot of "suppositions" ...and used it to crucify the man! shocked shocked

Its either it happened, ...or it didn't happen. It can be "May be" it happened. undecided

Supposition? What suppositions did I make

1 Like

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by adeyinka1985: 1:17am On Mar 11, 2016
Why would MY opinion make me demented or self hater people if I hated my ethnicity I would not bare the name Adeyinka. I would have changed my name to Sarah or Mary like many Nigerians in the UK do wink wink wink
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Nobody: 1:19am On Mar 11, 2016
MIPNIG:
Come back brother... In Nigeria you can't be treated like this.
Bross are you sure you've been to Nigeria before?
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 2:35am On Mar 11, 2016
Yes I have made a lot of assumptions because I do not have the full picture and neither do you. Reaching a conclusion on that video alone and saying the police must be charged is wrong.

While my assumptions are best guess, they are based on my understanding of how the process works and I agree they cannot be 100% accurate as neither i nor anyone here have the full picture.

Before thinsg will have escalated to the point the video was taken, it would have been a while probably about 30mins.

Let's look at it logically.

Guy comes off train and there are ticket inspectors at barriers. Cannot produce ticket to go through barriers so they probably approached him and attempted to fine him. I know this because I have been in similar situation before where I went outside my zone, but difference is i knew I was wrong and paid the 20 pound penalty fine.

He probably argues with them and for them to call police means things escalated and the ticket inspector felt they couldn't handle it.

Police will come and they will not start shouting lie down immediately unless there was a threat. they probably tried to talk to him to pay the fine and he refused, they attempt to arrest him and he resisted and started struggling. you can see in the video they attempted to handcuff him and he was flailing his arms and struggling. that is resisting arrest pure and simple.

By the time the video was shot things had already escalated so all the people shouting here that the police must be charged are wrong as a lot has happened before the video.

From the video you can see he was saying ok i will come with you but he didn't want to be handcuffed. well if he didn't want to be handcuffed he should have either paid for his ticket or paid the fine. I am very very sure there was a lot of opportunity to settle things before it escalated to that level. unfortunately you do not have the right or choice to decide if you want to be handcuffed or not when you are arrested. That is the prerogative of the police officers on the scene.

I have not crucified the man, all I have said is all of you crucifying the police based on same video are jumping to conclusions without facts. If he feels he was wrongly arrested there will be lawyers who will take his case on a no win no fee basis. he can also file a complaint with the independent police body. But people saying police must be charged or shouting raicism based on the video are jumping to conclusions and ignoring the fact that a lot must have already happened before the video.

Excuzeme:

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 3:09am On Mar 11, 2016
This is the conclusion I wa talking about in my other post. How have you concluded that he didn't know why he was being arrested? Where Where the video did he say why are you arresting me?

You ignore that fact the video did not start from the beginning and you start ma assumptions

Excuzeme:

Please stop being silly!

By asking you for your "I.D", the Cop has already given you a reason for Stopping you.... even without you asking!

That is good Policing.

Now imagine if you were just taking a walk and he shouted "Lie down,..Lie down,...l say lie down.."
I am sure the first word that will come out of your mouth is "Officer, WHY"?
That is you asking for a "reason". undecided

It is natural.... except one has become a human being without any shred of Dignity...... which might be a reflections of one's position in the "food chain". undecided undecided
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by crosspaul1(m): 5:12am On Mar 11, 2016
I'm sure his offence would be preaching in a public place. SMH
Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by tpascal: 7:26am On Mar 11, 2016
Too bad. The worst of it we blacks are not ready to help ourselves.
Injury to one should be injury to all.
We have to wake up and challenge racism.

1 Like

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 11, 2016
tpascal:
Too bad. The worst of it we blacks are not ready to help ourselves.
Injury to one should be injury to all.
We have to wake up and challenge racism.

I have no issues sticking up for anyone, regardless of race IF there is something to actually defend. In this case, there was none.

Whatever came this guy's way, whatever indignities he suffered were as a result of his attitude. Resisting arrest IS an offense, regardless of why you are being arrested.

This was NOT a racist issue. This guy failed to purchase a valid ticket, failed to pay the fine, disobeyed direct instruction from a police officer, resisted arrest. What exactly are you defending? You need to see Caucasian's resisting arrest for what was originally a minor offense. They get treated even worse than this guy did, some end up with black eyes. Is this racism too?

This guy was the architect of his own misfortune.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Officials Manhandle A Nigerian Today by ttmacoy: 11:57am On Mar 11, 2016
God bless you. The way we shout racism over everything is tiring. Always playing the victim card and ignoring logic.

Siena:

I have no issues sticking up for anyone, regardless of race IF there is something to actually defend. In this case, there was none.

Whatever came this guy's way, whatever indignities he suffered were as a result of his attitude. Resisting arrest IS an offense, regardless of why you are being arrested.

This was NOT a racist issue. This guy failed to purchase a valid ticket, failed to pay the fine, disobeyed direct instruction from a police officer, resisted arrest. What exactly are you defending? You need to see Caucasian's resisting arrest for what was originally a minor offense. They get treated even worse than this guy did, some end up with black eyes. Is this racism too?

This guy was the architect of his own misfortune.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerians In Czech Republic How Life / FRSC Officers Cause Accident In Ibadan, 3 Dead (Photos) / 10 Features Of Akwa Ibom New International Airport Terminal Building

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.