Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,434 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace (59716 Views)

Soldiers Take Over Arepo, Trace Militants To Badagry / Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi / Investigators Trace N650m To Nduka Obaigbe, Thisday Publisher - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by ariesbull: 7:22pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

Can you imagine this coming from an ipod loser!
Yeye!

He isn't igbo

Igbo seems to be your peeps nightmare
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by ariesbull: 7:25pm On Mar 19, 2016
I served in Benin and lived in Benin oredo local government and new Benin ..I am yet to see any Benin gat speaks Yoruba or bear a yoruba name
Is uyi a yoruba name
Is Ivie
Osamudanen
Uyi etc they are not yoruba names
Yoruba names are Tunde , Femi, Funmi et al..so why confuse us

I know that utsen and environs speaks a mixture of Yoruba and Benin ..and that's a cultural intersection that doesn't mean that Benin are Yoruba

Why this issue

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 7:27pm On Mar 19, 2016
erusen:
nothing speaks your language, people learn each others language every day,look at my name,is a Yoruba name?you be small pikin
The akoko Edos speak a form of adulterated Yoruba.
Come to think of it, what's the bini word for child? Isn't it omo?
Is omo not a yoruba word? Names like Omosheibi, Omonifemi, Omopariola are all yoruba names betwn. Hence, bini can't claim otherwise that omo is a bini word.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 7:29pm On Mar 19, 2016
ariesbull:

He isn't igbo
Igbo seems to be your peeps nightmare
He's a known ibo, forming bini.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by ariesbull: 7:35pm On Mar 19, 2016
I doubt that ... Never assume
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 7:37pm On Mar 19, 2016
ariesbull:
I served in Benin and lived in Benin oredo local government and new Benin ..I am yet to see any Benin gat speaks Yoruba or bear a yoruba name
Is uyi a yoruba name
Is Ivie
Osamudanen

I know that utsen and environs speaks a mixture of Yoruba and Benin ..and that's a cultural intersection that doesn't mean that Benin are Yoruba

Why this issue
No one claims bini are Yoruba though.
What we hate is the claim to have been superior when their idols, words, arts and cultures were all borrowed from the Yorubas. Not to mention their Oba's throne which was preceded by Oramiyan, an Oduduwa's son.
Virtually all of their existence shows one form of Yoruba or the other and these are the people claiming to be superior to us.
A case study is we Nigerians claiming to have been superior to the British when we serve their God, speak their language and incorporate their cultures into ours! Wouldn't that be an absurd claim?

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by BarryX(m): 8:13pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

Is omo not a yoruba word? Names like Omosheibi, Omonifemi, Omopariola are all yoruba names betwn. Hence, bini can't claim otherwise that omo is a bini word.
So the word omo is indigenous to the Yorubas? Sorry to say this but you just succeeded in adding to the negative stereotypes people are having about the Yorubas.

Yoruba own Omo detergent too?

OK continue
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 8:17pm On Mar 19, 2016
BarryX:
So the word omo is indigenous to the Yorubas? Sorry to say this but you just succeeded in adding to the negative stereotypes people are having about the Yorubas.

Yoruba own Omo detergent too?

OK continue
Omo is pronounced differently..
The same way Osun is different from Osu.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by BarryX(m): 8:18pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

A case study is we Nigerians claiming to have been superior to the British when we serve their God, speak their language and incorporate their cultures into ours! Wouldn't that be an absurd claim?
So Nigerians are inferior to the British because we serve their God

Really? What are we not going to read on Nairaland
OK continue
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 8:26pm On Mar 19, 2016
BarryX:
So Nigerians are inferior to the British because we serve their God

Really? What are we not going to read on Nairaland
OK continue
No one is saying we are inferior but claiming to be superior is stup!dity at its peak.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by BarryX(m): 8:27pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

Omo is pronounced differently..
The same way Osun is different from Osu.
There are lots of ethnic groups in the Niger delta region(Isoko, Urhobo, Ezon etc) that supposedly use the "omo" prefix in either their conversations or names and it has the same meaning and pronunciation.

In your words, they probably borrowed it from the Almighty Yoruba that owns the Omo word.

When did Africa get to this point again?

OK continue

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by BarryX(m): 8:34pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

No one is saying we are inferior but claiming to be superior is stup!dity at its peak.
You just inferred that though with these statements.

Hope your complex personality is intact
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 8:51pm On Mar 19, 2016
BarryX:
You just inferred that though with these statements.

Hope your complex personality is intact
You obviously need to see a doctor If that's what you could only see from the post.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 8:59pm On Mar 19, 2016
BarryX:
There are lots of ethnic groups in the Niger delta region(Isoko, Urhobo, Ezon etc) that supposedly use the "omo" prefix in either their conversations or names and it has the same meaning and pronunciation.

In your words, they probably borrowed it from the Almighty Yoruba that owns the Omo word.

When did Africa get to this point again?

OK continue
I doubt any Isoko/Ezon/Urhobo uses the word 'omo' as the prefix of their names or words! And when I say prefix, I mean names where the word 'Omo' could stand alone as the other word. E.g 'Omo' nifemi, 'Omo' wunmi.
The word 'Wunmi' and 'Nifemi' would still make the same meaningful words even without the word 'Omo'.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by BarryX(m): 9:14pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

You obviously need to see a doctor If that's what you could only see from the post.
OK... I will book an appointment
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by BarryX(m): 9:25pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

I doubt any Isoko/Ezon/Urhobo uses the word 'omo' as the prefix of their names or words! And when I say prefix, I mean names where the word 'Omo' could stand alone as the other word. E.g 'Omo' nifemi, 'Omo' wunmi.
The word 'Wunmi' and 'Nifemi' would still make the same meaning words even without the word 'Omo'.
Don't feign ignorance please or rather leave your comfort zone and know more about the country you reside. Ignorance or doubts in this context is not an excuse, coming out to defend the Almighty tribe with you uninformed jibes says much

They have omo-oghene (child of God), omote(girl), Omoshare/Omoza(boy),

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 10:01pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

and who owns"omo"
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 10:09pm On Mar 19, 2016
ariesbull:
Is uyi a yoruba name
Is Ivie
Osamudanen

Why this issue
I just dey look them

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 10:12pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

The word 'Wunmi' and 'Nifemi' would still make the same meaningful words even without the word 'Omo'.
guy u need to south south there numerous tribes,some I don't even know their names that use omo,omo is used in urbobo stop doubting start teavelling
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 10:48pm On Mar 19, 2016
BarryX:
Don't feign ignorance please or rather leave your comfort zone and know more about the country you reside. Ignorance or doubts in this context is not an excuse, coming out to defend the Almighty tribe with you uninformed jibes says much

They have omo-oghene (child of God), omote(girl), Omoshare/Omoza(boy),
LOL!
Typical!
Tell me how many of those names can stand alone and still retain its meaning without the word 'omo'.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 11:07pm On Mar 19, 2016
erusen:
guy u need to south south there numerous tribes,some I don't even know their names that use omo,omo is used in urbobo stop doubting start teavelling
Borrowing the word 'omo' isn't the bone of contention here but the origin of the word 'omo'
No one cares if dinosaurs also borrow the word to be part of their language but the origin is what matters. As far as I'm concerned, no tribe uses the word 'Omo' as part of their names the way Yoruba uses theirs.
As a matter of fact, only Yoruba has used the word 'Omo' which dated back as far as millenium years ago. One of my sec. school friend's surname is Omosheibi. Can you imagine someone's great great grandfather to have been bearing the said name? And this is what you bini want to claim?
Try another!
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 11:25pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

Borrowing the word 'omo' isn't the bone of contention here but the origin of the word 'omo'
No one cares if dinosaurs also borrow the word to be part of their language but the origin is what matters. As far as I'm concerned, no tribe uses the word 'Omo' as part of their names the way Yoruba uses theirs.
As a matter of fact, only Yoruba has used the word 'Omo' which dated back as far as millenium years ago. One of my sec. school friend's surname is Omosheibi. Can you imagine someone's great great grandfather to have been bearing the said name? And this is what you bini want to claim?
Try another!
wait are u fighting for"omo"?.u don't understand do u?,omo is used in most south south languages,u just dey fight for useless thing,you want "omo" come and take it
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 11:33pm On Mar 19, 2016
erusen:
wait are u fighting for"omo"?.u don't understand do u?,omo is used in most south south languages,u just dey for useless thing,you want "omo" come and take it
They (with the Binis) obviously borrowed it from the Yorubas.
All they have is the use of "it" in their language/statement. Yoruba on the other hand has names (with the word 'Omo') that dated back as far as several centuries years ago!

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 11:38pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

They (with the Binis) obviously borrowed it from the Yorubas.
All they have is the use of "it" in their language/statement. Yoruba on the other hand has names (with the word 'Omo') that dated back as far as several centuries years ago!
not only the binis use "omo" many tribes in south south use it too.what is omosefe,that is a Bini name,tell me the meaning

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by BarryX(m): 11:53pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

LOL!
Typical!
Tell me how many of those names can stand alone and still retain its meaning without the word 'omo'.
All of them.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by BarryX(m): 11:55pm On Mar 19, 2016
Kagawa10:

Try another!
Sorry bro.. How old are you?

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 12:02am On Mar 20, 2016
" Which Bini man dead or alive can measure up to Wole Soyinka?
In fact, aside the Oba and the Esama of Benin, mention any Bini person of international worth and acclaim?
All Binis have is the Oba(of Yoruba heritage). Period! "

This is the most senseless comment I have read in the last 2 weeks. Many people are indeed narrow-minded. We have a long way to go as a people.

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 12:07am On Mar 20, 2016
BarryX:
All of them.
As always, only you could see that!
It actually baffles me how some one could think Oghene without the word 'omo' would still have the same meaning. Let alone omotza, omote et al. Obviously, I've been wasting my time here with these bini dullards!
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 12:09am On Mar 20, 2016
BarryX:
Sorry bro.. How old are you?
As old as your projenitor. Yeye.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Kagawa10: 12:17am On Mar 20, 2016
erusen:
not only the binis use "omo" many tribes in south south use it too.what is omosefe,that is a Bini name,tell me the meaning
And I reiterate that majority of them borrowed the word, same way the bini did.
Why would I know meaning of Omosefe? However, I doubt the word 'sefe' can stand alone and still retain its meaning without the word 'omo' attached to it.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by tpiar: 12:30am On Mar 20, 2016
Iya Oba = Iyoba.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by BarryX(m): 12:53am On Mar 20, 2016
Kagawa10:

As always, only you could see that!
It actually baffles me how some one could think Oghene without the word 'omo' would still have the same meaning. Let alone omotza, omote et al. Obviously, I've been wasting my time here with these bini dullards!
Are you not confusing and contradicting yourself already?

Your education operating system is so abacus Upgrade and reset the OS please

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Terrorists Attend Secret Meeting With Nigerian 'Officials' / "Because I' A Soldier, Born To Die" - Emotional Pic Shared By A Nigerian Soldier / Buhari's Disqualification: Court Orders Service Of Documents On Buhari, INEC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.