Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,512 members, 7,812,593 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace (59719 Views)

Soldiers Take Over Arepo, Trace Militants To Badagry / Buhari Ruling Nigeria With Medieval Mindset, Says Prof Utomi / Investigators Trace N650m To Nduka Obaigbe, Thisday Publisher - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 9:02am On Mar 19, 2016
Obiagelli:

My point that africa was doing relatively well even with their "devilish" religion before the arrival of external influence.
we won't have had this technology either you without those"external effects"by now na bush me and you go for still dey
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by ransomed: 9:07am On Mar 19, 2016
Ile Ibinu= Bini, land of anger. A river that forgets its source will surely dry up. Keep distorting history to gain relevance. Go to prof. Igbafen to learn how to "skew" history for political gains and Mrs Evelyn Igbafen will show you the bead from the palace. Try to decode this parable and you will know who left his source in ANGER. RIP, Oba Erediauwa and i say Oba gha to kpe e to the crowned prince.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by dejavski(m): 9:17am On Mar 19, 2016
erusen:
oh really nor vex,na evangelizing dem take bring am come here ;Doh really nor vex,na evangelizing dem take bring am come here ,now una get oromila,Ogun,etc I don even forget many seft

Don't know about the rest but we cherish ayelala more than other gods in our place
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 9:38am On Mar 19, 2016
dejavski:

Don't know about the rest but we cherish ayelala more than other gods in our place
okay,what is IFA all about
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 9:40am On Mar 19, 2016
ransomed:
Ile Ibinu= Bini, land of anger. A river that forgets its source will surely dry up. Keep distorting history to gain relevance. Go to prof. Igbafen to learn how to "skew" history for political gains and Mrs Evelyn Igbafen will show you the bead from the palace. Try to decode this parable and you will know who left his source in ANGER. RIP, Oba Erediauwa and i say Oba gha to kpe e to the crowned prince.
all this Yoruba people nor get sense at all,so u saying the the oba died because of what exactly?

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by dejavski(m): 9:53am On Mar 19, 2016
erusen:
okay,what is IFA all about

IFA I think is consulted by priests or so.... our chief priest is oliha
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 9:56am On Mar 19, 2016
dejavski:

IFA I think is consulted by priests or so.... our chief priest is oliha
okay
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by macof(m): 9:57am On Mar 19, 2016
opal4real:

Tell us the history behind Sungbo eredo, I bet your ancestors knew nothing about that great master piece.

is this thread about sungbo eredo or walls of Benin?

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by ransomed: 10:00am On Mar 19, 2016
erusen:
all this Yoruba people nor get sense at all,so u saying the the oba died because of what exactly?
:-- Insult and abuse are the hallmarks of deluded minds. Learn how to comprehend before you quote and post gibberish. Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 19, 2016
erusen:
we won't have had this technology either you without those"external effects"by now na bush me and you go for still dey
Says who?
Are you telling me there was no african technology? do you even know where these technologies were stolen from?

Did you not read about the british looting the benin empire, do u think it was only artwork that was looted?
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by saintdennis(m): 10:39am On Mar 19, 2016
texanomaly:

Which version of history are you talking about here? On this one thread few can agree on where boundaries were, who lived where, what they wore, what language was spoken first, which religions were here first and which tribe was most influential.

Imagine a history class where radical tribalists start physically fighting each other over perceived differences. Is Nigeria ready to collect it's various histories and become one nation? I often wonder. I've been talking to Nigerians for a few years now. Is it possible to write a history book that won't cause a riot? You tell me?

History is extremely important. If nothing else, so we don't make the same mistakes over and over. It is also important to know where we come from.

Those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
~ George Santayana

Wise write up bro... so sad sha. Wonder if we ever will get there as a nation
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by saintdennis(m): 10:42am On Mar 19, 2016
Gaddafithe2nd:

Guy why you dey yab nollywood. Thank Launcelot Imasuen that producer/director do promote Bini Tradition and history in his movies.

Yea true sha...but their movies usually lack 'bite'. Like no real screenplay, no visual effects, it's so unrealistic that u don't even 'connect' with it.

But still kudos to lancelot, , we need more historically relevant movies, bet u agree wit it
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 19, 2016
codemaniacs:

It wasn't devilish. The foreigners studied how Africans worshipped and wrote in their 'holy' books that it was a crime to worship objects.

I still wonder why someone will laugh at Songo disappering into the ground and believe someone rode a horse to heaven.

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by erusen: 11:00am On Mar 19, 2016
Obiagelli:

Says who?
Are you telling me there was no african technology? do you even know where these technologies were stolen from?

Did you not read about the british looting the benin empire, do u think it was only artwork that was looted?
hmmmm
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by bokohalal(m): 11:05am On Mar 19, 2016
codemaniacs:

Benin kingdom was destroyed while china's great wall wasn't destroyed.
The Great Wall of China also fell into ruins but was rebuilt for tourism.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by bokohalal(m): 11:15am On Mar 19, 2016
Yoruba historians should note that it was a conquered territory that gave the Romans Christianity.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by SirAfoy1(m): 11:17am On Mar 19, 2016
i don't still know the reason why you are comparing Benin which is not more than Igbomina subgroup of Yoruba to entire Yoruba.
you said you conquered Yoruba, you are just in a single state
word Oba is yours, most of the streets in Yoruba land are using it
you used to own Lagos, but when British arrived they met Oba KOSOKO AND AKINTOYE
if you have great wall, what of Opa oranmiyan, esie museum, sugbo eredo and many in Ife.
stop all these rubbish

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Born2Breed(f): 11:33am On Mar 19, 2016
We are some people trying to discredit this great human earthwork.

OP did a great job by teaching those without knowledge of their history on the greatness of Africa. This and other wonder are all over Nigeria and we must appreciate our ancestors.

This wall refers called Iya in Benin is evident around Benin city center. If anyone has doubts visit Benin city.

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Born2Breed(f): 11:44am On Mar 19, 2016
SirAfoy1:
i don't still know the reason why you are comparing Benin which is not more than Igbomina subgroup of Yoruba to entire Yoruba.
you used to own Lagos, but when British arrived they met Oba KOSOKO AND AKINTOYE
if you have great wall, what of Opa oranmiyan, esie museum, sugbo eredo and many in Ife.
stop all these rubbish

Discuss about this work of art or create another thread to discuss about Benin n Yoruba supremacy.

The Mods are quick to ban pple who insults those derailing an historic thread bt let d derailers go Scott free.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by SirAfoy1(m): 11:53am On Mar 19, 2016
Born2Breed:

Discuss about this work of art or create another thread to discuss about Benin n Yoruba supremacy.

The Mods are quick to ban pple who insults those derailing an historic thread bt let d derailers go Scott free.
thank you. I wanted to discuss about it before, but when I read some comments. that was why I posted this.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by macof(m): 12:02pm On Mar 19, 2016
opal4real:

They were severally defeated and taxed heavily until the british put a stop to it. Same goes for Owo,ask questions about ur history and stop this wanton display of ignorance ****

sharrap Akure always fought back. .. The amount of military resources Bini put into subjecting Akure was much more than any other City Bini attempted on. It didn't take the British to Put a stop to Bini taxation in Akure. ..Akure defeated Bini so many times ..even during the reign of Oba Ehengbuda, The defeat was so shameful that From then on No oba of Bini ever went to war .
Ibadan was controlling Akure as early as 1850, and this lasted over 20 years

Everything is not about Bini

2 Likes

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by ycat: 12:07pm On Mar 19, 2016
Crazed!
erusen:
dey go now
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 12:23pm On Mar 19, 2016
saintdennis:

Yea true sha...but their movies usually lack 'bite'. Like no real screenplay, no visual effects, it's so unrealistic that u don't even 'connect' with it.

But still kudos to lancelot, , we need more historically relevant movies, bet u agree wit it
I only like few Nollywood producers like Kunle Afolayan, Tunde Kelani, Tade Ogidan, Lancelot Imasuen and few guys like that. Their movies makes sense but others mediocre.

2 Likes

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by walemoney007(m): 12:25pm On Mar 19, 2016
texanomaly:

Imagine a history class where radical tribalists start physically fighting each other over perceived differences.Is it possible to write a history book that won't cause a riot? You tell me?
I just they imagine ycat and erusen in the same history class,the two of them go fight each other grin
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by Ehisod(m): 1:10pm On Mar 19, 2016
Why are exhibiting your neanderthal cognitive tendency here? Ever been to Benin city?

nnanyereugo:
Lol...d kind juju wit witches wey dey dat town no go let any nu development enta dat town. Dat town na d abode of d gods n witches. so farabale
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by ycat: 1:35pm On Mar 19, 2016
Yoruba is not the same as yar'riba but you are too dumb to know that.
Yoruba is the only tribe name and word you can't find in any language vocab. That tells you how special the tribe is. Nupe did this and Alimi did that are stories depending who is telling it, whatever they did, Yoruba did worse among themselves, and we still colonised you and planted our seeds in other countries. Where are your footprints in the world? Nowhere! You are just frustrated cockroaches trying to make a name for yourselves.
opal4real:

Do you even know the meaning of Yoruba? A derogatory word derived from yar'riba. Used by the fulani jihadist to refer to ur ancestors as conquered tribe and runaway slaves from north east Africa? Oyo itself was never an empire but a military brigade used by criminals to raid traders until they were sacked severally by d nupe n final blowdealt by alimi n co.

2 Likes

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by ycat: 1:41pm On Mar 19, 2016
haha!
walemoney007:
I just they imagine ycat and erusen in the same history class,the two of them go fight each other grin
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by ycat: 2:09pm On Mar 19, 2016
Empire in a bird cage, hehehe!
Nigeria don suffer!

1 Like

Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by VirginFinder: 2:25pm On Mar 19, 2016
opal4real:

You cannot find any trace of Yoruba in core Beninland, the Yoruba's always call on the Benin for military support ask Ogendegbe of Ekiti Parapo it was the benin soldiers among them that renders the invading Ibadan army useless and they never dare any Benin land.

At least we all agree that the Oba of Benin is Oranmiyan's son. He has Yoruba ancestry.
Binis bear Yoruba names and speak Yoruba till tomorrow.
Military alliances have always been since time immemorial.

Religion nada comon kid grow up! What religion? There was NOTHING like Yoruba when BEnin Empire existed and Oyo was a garrison of criminals who were slave raiders hence the reason for the Kiriji war. Tell me one town outside the Yoruba speaking region was conquered by Oyo?

Ifa/Orunmila/Ogun/Obatala/Ogboni are all Yoruba religions/gods/cults. Bini people are well-versed in them.

Kids with no knowledge of their history trying to disrespect the tribe who made them.

We gave you Oduduwa, we united you all with our support of the Kiriji war without Benin there is no Yoruba!

Oduduwa is NOT Ekaladerhan. Keep looking for your lost prince.
Oduduwa, like the rest of the Yorubas, came from the middle east.
A number of Yoruba words have arabic origins. That's the link.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by bokohalal(m): 2:43pm On Mar 19, 2016
SirAfoy1:
stop all these rubbish
Dumb and dumber , there was no Yoruba before the 19th century. Yes , some Yoruba sub groups were under Benin Empire rule.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by gentleheart1(f): 2:44pm On Mar 19, 2016
codemaniacs:

It never stretched to ogun or any other part of yoruba territory.

The two tribes worked with each other so there is high possibility of using the same architecture and methods to build.

Can yoy please stop, the bini kingom streched all the way to Lagos so what makes Ogun different?

You Yorubas have come with your complex problem again.
Re: Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace by gentleheart1(f): 2:49pm On Mar 19, 2016
proxillin:

Nobody knew about it until few years ago.

Benin can't claim it now.

Thanks

Nobody is here to claim anything,there is a possibility that it was formally under the bini empire based on the fact that the empire streched to lagos and even benin republic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Terrorists Attend Secret Meeting With Nigerian 'Officials' / Sanwo-Olu Inspects The Removal Of Lekki Second Roundabout (Pictures) / "Because I' A Soldier, Born To Die" - Emotional Pic Shared By A Nigerian Soldier

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.