Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,590 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:55 PM

Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor (44846 Views)

Stop Squeezing Your Woman's Breasts: Medical Doctor Warns Men / Blood Is Coming Out Of My Nose Instead Of Mucus / Female Medical Doctor Dies In Warri After Her Return From Ukraine. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by samdes02(m): 12:46am On Mar 24, 2016
EreluY:

It's only the padre, and not the seductionist(s), who is under oath. The latter has nothing at stake, really. The padre either sticks it out or quit if he no longer has the moral stamina and resolve to stay true to his calling. In the same manner, if a medical doctor cannot stay true to her/his calling with reference to the Hippocratic oath, s/he should (if s/he has a conscience) call it a day perhaps by moving into another sector where s/he can stay true to her/his calling. Junior doctors in England are currently demanding better working conditions with a threat that if the government fails to act, they'll move to other parts of the UK (especially Scotland and Northern Ireland) or abroad (Middle East, Australia, Canada, etc.). Rather than fold their arms and watch patients die, they'll simply move elsewhere. Only then can they, like Pontius Pilate, wash their hands clean of a patient's blood.
you're just being impractical really. Well gear up for the next wave of braindrain and it hurts me dearly cos it'll only worsen things.and hey next time you go see your GP tell him he swore an oath to always treat you free of charge wink grin.Lets face the country is messed up and the government just don't care
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by babtuns76(m): 1:10am On Mar 24, 2016
sofadj:
I own a hospital in Southwest- (not Osun state Nigeria ...lol). I currently have about 17 patients on my ward each of whom I have admitted at several occasions through emergency. None of these patients has paid upto 30% of his/her bill. Some of them have stayed upto 7 weeks on the ward. I admitted and attended to them based on the fact that their conditions were life-threatening as at the time they came. I made their bill known to them - and they signed before they were treated. But there is a common trend, as soon as they felt relief and became stable they pleaded for their bills to be reduced - this I vehemently refused.

About 4 weeks ago a woman was rushed in with Eclampsia having just convulsed while pregnant and she was unconscious. I promptly took her straight to the theatre without collecting a dime though i had informed the relatives of the charges - #120,000 for her operation and medications. They signed and I carried out the surgery succesfully. Mother and baby survived. Within the following 6-days they paid a total sum of #12,000 and they began pleading to go home for the child's christening ceremony. I looked at them with disdain. Till now, they have only managed to pay a total sum of #14,000.

Another man who was managed for strangulated hernia has only paid 20,000 out of 75,000 bill. And the list goes on. Their failure to pay has made it difficult for the hospital to replace consumables and medications needed to manage other people's condition.
In the early hours of today 1:30am, a woman was rushed into the hospital following delivery at the referrral center. Blood had refused to stop gushing out. I did a quick assesment and realised she would need more materials than the hospital pharmacy currently had in store. I could have my staff get from a nearby pharmacy too. However, the husband said he had no money on him and so did the numerous relatives that accompanied. It was indeed a familiar pattern. I decided to let them go. I referred her to a government hospital. Ofcourse they pleaded for me to help but there was nothing I could do. Few minutes after they left - just few metres from my hospital gate, she collapsed. She had lost a lot of blood. I rushed there and rigorously tried resuscitating her right there outside the hospital 2am early morning, but all efforts proved abortive. A young woman of 28years had just died after having her first baby. Screams, wails, cries ensued. I felt bad - this is not why i became a doctor. But her blood is not on my hands.

Her blood is on the hands and heads of all the patients on the ward who can afford to pay but refused to - on the grounds that - "What will they do?. Her blood is on the hands and heads of the government officials past and present who have made it difficult and impossible for workers to get paid for their work. But the government officials are not the target of this my narrat. It is aimed at those who take hospital healthcare and medical doctors for granted. Those (including myself) who emphasise that doctors should not put money first before treating emergency conditions. In emergency cases, relatives would go to any length through any struggle to get money. As soon as the situation becomes calm, they relax and then they refuse to pay.

Last year a distant relative of mine was delivered of her baby via Caesearian section (in a hospital in Lagos- not mine). They were billed #180,000 which they accepted before the operation. After the surgery, her husband called me and asked how much I charge and i told him. He then began pleading with the management of the said hospital to review his bill. They declined. The husband being who he is, paid #120,000 and absconded with his wife and his newly born son. How he did this, I do not know, but i know that at the christening ceremony a week later, he had two cows slaughtered to celebrate the birth of his first son.

Many times we complain of doctors who ask for charges before treating patients but no one has ever bothered to ask the doctors why they do? Doctors are humans too, we need to pay bills. This is our trade, our profession, our means of livelihood. We have needs too. We can not go to the market place with the ID showing that we're doctors and hope to get food items on credit. We need to pay our children's school fees, we need clothes , shelter etc just as you. Everywhere in the world healthcare is expensive, both services and materials are exepensive. Well we understand that you may not have money. The government should find a way. The government should find a way/policy that ensures that we get our money back after we have rendered our service. In the UK there is the National Health Scheme, in the United states they have health insurance schemes too in addition to Medicare, Medicaid. In Nigeria we have the barely effective, poorly regulated and massively corrupt National Health Insurance Scheme.

Well i have decided to change the modus operandi of my institution. The previous one has not benefitted anybody. Henceforth if any one comes to my emergency room without a dime. I will not attend to. If such a person dies, the blood is not on my hands, its on the hands of those who have received

treatment in the past and failed to pay afterwards.
I pray for all the pour in the world & Nigerians;.)
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by naijafresh: 1:19am On Mar 24, 2016
nefertitiram:
Dr sofadj please, I use God to beg you, please reconsider your stance. If you go through my profile, you will understand y I am begging u.

I was rushed to R-Jolad in Lagos at 4am on a Sunday morning, with the exact case the woman that died had. Placenta abruption, I nearly bled to death. I had 4 pints transfused.

I was leaving for US to deliver my baby, I had bought ticket, made some expenses such that hubby and I had no more cash at that instance. We didn't have N20k with us at dat time of the morning

They decided to operate immediately, hubby asked how much, d doc told us my life was most important, dey couldn't even wait to screen all d 4 pints of blood. He should sign, save my life before we discuss money.

That was how I survived the ordeal. The babies died but I survived. I was admitted for 10 days b4 they brought any bill. We sold off our dollars to foot d bill of almost 300k.

If RJOLAD did not admit me that day, without a dime, where would I have been? There's no day I don't pray for RJOLAD.

My point is don't cut off the nose to spite the face. God will reward you and replenish your pockets.

God bless you!
You settled your bill, you are however a rarity, most abscond without paying hence the hardened attitude doctors have developed
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by InvertedHammer: 1:34am On Mar 24, 2016
/
Case in point: Remember the guy that wasted N235k on a phone last week? Does he have N200k saved for medical emergency? Probably not. Nigerians value image over health or do I say, things that matter. The same way Nigeria celebrities will be portarying opulent lifestyles and cannot afford a few millions when kidney problems set in.
It is understable when a patient presents with a chronic condition that might have exhausted his savings. Nigerians have their priorities screwed up. I hate to generalize but it is a fact.

Folks cannot put up N100k for medical treatment but the same folks will spend millions at the burial if the patient dies. Do they buy coffins on credit? Since there is no health insurance in Nigeria, best practice remains "no deposit, no treatment". It is needless helping those who do not want to help themselves.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by franconian: 1:37am On Mar 24, 2016
yetseyi:

An average Nigerian wont contribute.

That his second solution is a problem itself. I don't know how he intend to convince Nigerians to contribute for emergency. They will rather say "Doctor god forbid, nothing will happen to me and my family in Jesus name" like the doctor is wishing them evil. Humans are difficult to deal with, dealing with "illiterate" humans is even a more difficult task.

2 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by InvertedHammer: 1:43am On Mar 24, 2016
EreluY:

It's only the padre, and not the seductionist(s), who is under oath. The latter has nothing at stake, really. The padre either sticks it out or quit if he no longer has the moral stamina and resolve to stay true to his calling. In the same manner, if a medical doctor cannot stay true to her/his calling with reference to the Hippocratic oath, s/he should (if s/he has a conscience) call it a day perhaps by moving into another sector where s/he can stay true to her/his calling. Junior doctors in England are currently demanding better working conditions with a threat that if the government fails to act, they'll move to other parts of the UK (especially Scotland and Northern Ireland) or abroad (Middle East, Australia, Canada, etc.). Rather than fold their arms and watch patients die, they'll simply move elsewhere. Only then can they, like Pontius Pilate, wash their hands clean of a patient's blood.
/
The junior doctors are threatening a government that cares to listen. Doctors in Nigeria can threaten to move to Bermuda triangle and the government couldn't care less. Like I always say, most Nigerians are directly or Indirectly benefiting from the messed up situation called Nigeria. They will resist any transformation that may bring positive results in their lives collectively.

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by boik(m): 1:51am On Mar 24, 2016
Op I truly understand your pain. I've witnessed a case like that where a man's wife and new born were discharged after paying part of their bill and the man started playing the doctor, doing child dedications ceremony and all, and shoved the outstanding hospital bill aside. But i'll still plead with you to continue the good work of saving lives.
There's a society in the Catholic Church called Society of St. Vincent De Paul. It's a charity organisation and they take health and child delivery issues very serious. The society is active mainly in Parishes in the city. You can always direct your patients who can't meet up with their bills to the society. Hence it's medical and genuine, the society will rally round and get something done, even if it's like 80% of the outstanding bill. The society don't joke with medical cases and child birth, of that i'm very sure.

sofadj:
I own a hospital in Southwest- (not Osun state Nigeria ...lol). I currently have about 17 patients on my ward each of whom I have admitted at several occasions through emergency. None of these patients has paid upto 30% of his/her bill. Some of them have stayed upto 7 weeks on the ward. I admitted and attended to them based on the fact that their conditions were life-threatening as at the time they came. I made their bill known to them - and they signed before they were treated. But there is a common trend, as soon as they felt relief and became stable they pleaded for their bills to be reduced - this I vehemently refused.

About 4 weeks ago a woman was rushed in with Eclampsia having just convulsed while pregnant and she was unconscious. I promptly took her straight to the theatre without collecting a dime though i had informed the relatives of the charges - #120,000 for her operation and medications. They signed and I carried out the surgery succesfully. Mother and baby survived. Within the following 6-days they paid a total sum of #12,000 and they began pleading to go home for the child's christening ceremony. I looked at them with disdain. Till now, they have only managed to pay a total sum of #14,000.

Another man who was managed for strangulated hernia has only paid 20,000 out of 75,000 bill. And the list goes on. Their failure to pay has made it difficult for the hospital to replace consumables and medications needed to manage other people's condition.
In the early hours of today 1:30am, a woman was rushed into the hospital following delivery at the referrral center. Blood had refused to stop gushing out. I did a quick assesment and realised she would need more materials than the hospital pharmacy currently had in store. I could have my staff get from a nearby pharmacy too. However, the husband said he had no money on him and so did the numerous relatives that accompanied. It was indeed a familiar pattern. I decided to let them go. I referred her to a government hospital. Ofcourse they pleaded for me to help but there was nothing I could do. Few minutes after they left - just few metres from my hospital gate, she collapsed. She had lost a lot of blood. I rushed there and rigorously tried resuscitating her right there outside the hospital 2am early morning, but all efforts proved abortive. A young woman of 28years had just died after having her first baby. Screams, wails, cries ensued. I felt bad - this is not why i became a doctor. But her blood is not on my hands.

Her blood is on the hands and heads of all the patients on the ward who can afford to pay but refused to - on the grounds that - "What will they do?. Her blood is on the hands and heads of the government officials past and present who have made it difficult and impossible for workers to get paid for their work. But the government officials are not the target of this my narrat. It is aimed at those who take hospital healthcare and medical doctors for granted. Those (including myself) who emphasise that doctors should not put money first before treating emergency conditions. In emergency cases, relatives would go to any length through any struggle to get money. As soon as the situation becomes calm, they relax and then they refuse to pay.

Last year a distant relative of mine was delivered of her baby via Caesearian section (in a hospital in Lagos- not mine). They were billed #180,000 which they accepted before the operation. After the surgery, her husband called me and asked how much I charge and i told him. He then began pleading with the management of the said hospital to review his bill. They declined. The husband being who he is, paid #120,000 and absconded with his wife and his newly born son. How he did this, I do not know, but i know that at the christening ceremony a week later, he had two cows slaughtered to celebrate the birth of his first son.

Many times we complain of doctors who ask for charges before treating patients but no one has ever bothered to ask the doctors why they do? Doctors are humans too, we need to pay bills. This is our trade, our profession, our means of livelihood. We have needs too. We can not go to the market place with the ID showing that we're doctors and hope to get food items on credit. We need to pay our children's school fees, we need clothes , shelter etc just as you. Everywhere in the world healthcare is expensive, both services and materials are exepensive. Well we understand that you may not have money. The government should find a way. The government should find a way/policy that ensures that we get our money back after we have rendered our service. In the UK there is the National Health Scheme, in the United states they have health insurance schemes too in addition to Medicare, Medicaid. In Nigeria we have the barely effective, poorly regulated and massively corrupt National Health Insurance Scheme.

Well i have decided to change the modus operandi of my institution. The previous one has not benefitted anybody. Henceforth if any one comes to my emergency room without a dime. I will not attend to. If such a person dies, the blood is not on my hands, its on the hands of those who have received treatment in the past and failed to pay afterwards.

3 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by lanchy: 2:17am On Mar 24, 2016
You just have to realise Nigerians have no SOUL! When in trouble they can pray and beg better than saints, but once they achieve what they desire.....You have to beg them to pay back what they borrowed. At which point they will insult you, abuse your dog.......and disgrace your chickens in public. It's madness, they never think of tomorrow!! NEVER!! Always today...wetin we go chop now now!

For me I no longer care, if your house is burning down and you need 50k to solve it.......my friend you better go and join that house to burn down quickly., and if you decide to narrate my story up and down ojuelegba......just know a lot of hired killers are without jobs now that election has finished.

5 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by bigfrancis21: 2:49am On Mar 24, 2016
You sound like a kind-hearted doctor who has the goodwill of people at heart. You will be rewarded for the lives you've saved so far. However, Nigerians are people that would take advantage of a nice person without thinking twice and turn their backs feeling 'smart' for successfully taking advantage of you. It shouldn't be so.

I totally understand that your hospital needs to continue to function and cash flow is needed, hence you cannot keep up with the charity work all the time. However, there are karmic rewards for those good works you performed even though you may not know or may not have received any cash rewards. In as much as you've decided to begin having the money in full before commencing treatment, develop your 6th sense to detect the genuinely poor customers from the others. It may be hard to do or detect but that way you continue to perform rare good works which will pay off to you in the end.

Good luck.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by alakafolasade: 2:51am On Mar 24, 2016
If accumulating wealth is what you are looking for after studying medicine then u are in for a ride. A medical degree can only make u sufficient but not rich.[/quote] that's not it accumulated or whatever you called it you don't expect the doctors to render there service and also pay for your bills for you
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Originalsly: 3:35am On Mar 24, 2016
Guess her blood is on your conscience....no amount of money can erase that. I am shocked that you as a doctor would be bringing your patients' medical issues to a public forum. Was it necessary? ....isn't there some kind of privacy code? You own a hospital ...you should have a plan to ensure that the patients' bills are paid....guarantor/have collaterals, something... but not be putting the people business and sufferings out here in public and claiming blood is not on your hands.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by InvertedHammer: 4:28am On Mar 24, 2016
Originalsly:
Guess her blood is on your conscience....no amount of money can erase that. I am shocked that you as a doctor would be bringing your patients' medical issues to a public forum. Was it necessary? ....isn't there some kind of privacy code? You own a hospital ...you should have a plan to ensure that the patients' bills are paid....guarantor/have collaterals, something... but not be putting the people business and sufferings out here in public and claiming blood is not on your hands.
/
Name of doctor: unknown
Name of hospital: unknown
Name of patient: unknown
Exact location of hospital: unknown

Therefore, no Privacy Act was violated by the OP.

Calm down.

\

7 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by bankybobo11: 4:43am On Mar 24, 2016
daretodiffer:

What have I done now?

Nothing o. I'm still recovering from the trauma you caused me.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by 0gbeni(m): 4:44am On Mar 24, 2016
interesting thread and an eye opener i must say especially for "us young guns"

thanks Chief for pushing out this so that Nigerians can see what doctors go through everyday..

judging from comments, it seems
1. Nigerians are not realistic, they will bandy the Hippocratic oath about, yet they won't sit with you to fathom out ways of getting clients to pay.. same people will increase their prices if they get to know you are a doc

2. there's no way you can win when its comes to public opinion, detain patients for not paying bills, they will come to social media to demonize doctors (seen a couple of nairaland threads), demand for money before payment, na wahala.. more social media threads.? refer patients because you think they need specialist care, they will still blame you.. yet if something should go wrong, they won't hesitate to sue your ass and collect the little you have

3. a guy has to really be firm,if he/she wants to survive in private practice, its not the fault of doctors if Nigerians are comfortable with successive governments irresponsibility towards health

Nobody's blood is on anybody's hands, afterall folks will buy S7s and iphone 6s yet won't plan for their own healthcare, people will see government's lackluster emergency services and are not bothered .. we are all responsible to/for ourselves

e go better!

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by October1960: 4:47am On Mar 24, 2016
I understand and sympathize with this Doctor.

There are many Nigerians that have stolen government money and can afford to pay but refuse to even in the UK and US.

They try this same nonsense even in developed countries meanwhile they take their stolen monies to buy gold, wrist watches, nice cars, clothes etc. Rather than pay what they rightly owe.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by rocoh(m): 4:48am On Mar 24, 2016
I feel your pain. May God help us.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by rocoh(m): 4:51am On Mar 24, 2016
sofadj:

Well i have decided to change the modus operandi of my institution. The previous one has not benefitted anybody. Henceforth if any one comes to my emergency room without a dime. I will not attend to. If such a person dies, the blood is not on my hands, its on the hands of those who have received treatment in the past and failed to pay afterwards.

Sir if you were to advice the government,can you please give us a detailed and comprensive summary of what you will tell the government to do as to improving healthcare in all its ramifications in Nigeria. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by October1960: 4:57am On Mar 24, 2016
The same people that refuse to pay this doc will buy expensive shoes, phones, designer clothes.

I taya for our people sometimes. I have experienced similar in my profession. I just refuse to be a bank for greedy people.

Don't buy things you cannot afford. Say no to credit.

3 Likes

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by October1960: 5:14am On Mar 24, 2016
Well said below. The corrupt govt officials past and present plus their families pay thousands of dollars and pounds for treatment in US, UK or India. Meanwhile we are on our own here.

olas24u:
Health insurance is the only way out .But really Nigerians don,t value health. We have corrupt government officials killing millions every day by stealing money meant for upgrade of facilities .We export humans to India for medical treatment and they pay hospital bills and hotel fees and feeding including transportation that benefits the economy of that country and they take away foreign exchange from Nigeria.Dudu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by EreluY(f): 5:31am On Mar 24, 2016
samdes02:
you're just being impractical really. Well gear up for the next wave of braindrain and it hurts me dearly cos it'll only worsen things.and hey next time you go see your GP tell him he swore an oath to always treat you free of charge wink grin.Lets face the country is messed up and the government just don't care

Now, you've come full circle to the point I've made, repeatedly, on NL threads over the years. Nigeria is irrevocably doomed. Get out of that sh1t hole, if you can. The earlier the better. It's always been the case from pre-historic times that humans migrate.

And, yes sir, I pay my tax (too much tax is killing me right now but I don't really mind). I never ever discuss cost/funds/money with my GP over the past 20 years or so. Why? I pay my tax and the NHS is effective - simply the best in the world. Doctors in my necks of the wood take their Hippocratic oath very SERIOUSLY. And for those asking what Hippocratic oath means, for the umpteenth time, it refers to an oath taken "by ​people when they ​become ​doctors to do everything ​possible to ​help ​their ​patients and to have high ​moral ​standards in ​their ​work."
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by maryhaam(f): 5:33am On Mar 24, 2016
Everyone has a story to tell,hmmm blame it on poverty.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by Rejoice5000(f): 5:38am On Mar 24, 2016
My mum almost push me to that profession but i boldly told her i cant survive as a medical doctor period::because after free treatment i will also ask the patient if he or she has a transport fair:

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by EreluY(f): 5:46am On Mar 24, 2016
Rejoice5000:
My mum almost push me to that profession but i boldly told her i cant survive as a medical doctor period::because after free treatment i will also ask the patient if he or she has a transport fair:

You could have taken your mum's counsel, train and qualify as medical doctor and jet out of Nigeria to seek a greener pasture. No one ever see beyond their horizons. In spite of all the thrash spewn on NL about Nigerians not doing well abroad, there are Nigerian professionals doing extremely well outside the shores of that zoo called Nigeria. It seems plausible to maintain, even if anecdotally, that for every Nigerian in the diaspora not doing well, there are 4-6 doing extremely well.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by sikirat2020: 5:54am On Mar 24, 2016
I understood ur point and reasons. They made common sense. Try next time to ascertain the profession of the relatives of the sick and among the richest of them should sign an undertaken to pay and should equally proceed to deposit money within 1-2 days of treatment.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by smileysmiley(f): 5:56am On Mar 24, 2016
dexpotter:
You have a right judgement. But should the latter be punished for the sins of those that came before them? What if u were not a doc n ur wife or mother fall into similar situation n u are not dere 2 hlp financially @ dat moment??
you can sponsor a charity organization and employ him so that he will continue giving free services... See talk o angry
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by EreluY(f): 5:59am On Mar 24, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
The junior doctors are threatening a government that cares to listen. Doctors in Nigeria can threaten to move to Bermuda triangle and the government couldn't care less. Like I always say, most Nigerians are directly or Indirectly benefiting from the messed up situation called Nigeria. They will resist any transformation that may bring positive results in their lives collectively.

What's your business with a government that couldn't care less...and a people benefitting from messed up situation. Get out of that sh1t hole. This may be a clarion call to you. I know Nigerian doctors doing extremely well outside the shores of Nigeria. Don't get wasted by a rotten system. Listen, of recent, I met a Nigerian professor who works in a UK university as a lecturer. He dropped his professorship at MMA in Lagos. He earns good money here, doesn't have to stress about armed robbery, bad road network, epileptic electric and water supplies, poor health service, and his children are in enviable schools. Oh, he has access to the latest academic journals, books, research grants, membership of professional associations and doesn't have to go with cap in hand begging to be funded to attend academic conferences through which he now networks and collaborates with those that matters in his field.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by armadeo(m): 6:01am On Mar 24, 2016
Originalsly:

name of the patient
name of the doctor
name of the hospital
state/LGA in which incident occured.

as far as am concerned the patients privacy was protected. as for the bolded dont you think he would have tried that before getting to this point.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by smileysmiley(f): 6:02am On Mar 24, 2016
Originalsly:
He brought it here so the all-knowing you can give him a plan on how to collect his pay. Stop ranting jaree... Mumu dey smell for here
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by armadeo(m): 6:02am On Mar 24, 2016
InvertedHammer:

/
Name of doctor: unknown
Name of hospital: unknown
Name of patient: unknown
Exact location of hospital: unknown

Therefore, no Privacy Act was violated by the OP.

Calm down.

\

wow exactly what i wrote grin grin grin
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by armadeo(m): 6:05am On Mar 24, 2016
EreluY:

Now, you've come full circle to the point I've made, repeatedly, on NL threads over the years. Nigeria is irrevocably doomed. Get out of that sh1t hole, if you can. The earlier the better. It's always been the case from pre-historic times that humans migrate.

And, yes sir, I pay my tax (too much tax is killing me right now but I don't really mind). I never ever discuss cost/funds/money with my GP over the past 20 years or so. Why? I pay my tax and the NHS is effective - simply the best in the world. Doctors in my necks of the wood take their Hippocratic oath very SERIOUSLY. And for those asking what Hippocratic oath means, for the umpteenth time, it refers to an oath taken "by ​people when they ​become ​doctors to do everything ​possible to ​help ​their ​patients and to have high ​moral ​standards in ​their ​work."

in summary your doctor ALWAYS gets paid

1 Like

Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by aigbokiejohnson(m): 6:12am On Mar 24, 2016
Hmmm! This has always been the bane of private practice. You need be "wicked" most times otherwise you run dowm in debts. Patients will always act as one. Best is to collect at least a deposit of close to % 50 whenever possible and/or threatened to refer and/or stop medications/discharge home if patient refused to pay. I jus pray GOD will help we all to continue our good works and touch our government and the patients too.
Re: Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor by smileysmiley(f): 6:13am On Mar 24, 2016
Op I have a family friend who is a doctor. He will never smell your bedside if there is no payment, if something new comes up while treating you, you will pay before he finishes. He said he learnt the hard way. If a pastor comes to his clinic, he doubles charge cause he claims that they steal from their church members grin Mr nice guy won't put the food on the table. Full payment before service and in some cases where the payment is not complete, don't give them access to their patient, just keep on telling them that the person is dying even if you have treated the person.I'm considering a second degree in medicine, may God help us. People like me should be doctors instead cause I sabi close my heart sha grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bride-to-be Develops Vitiligo (skin Disorder) Months Before Her Wedding (Photos) / Strange Things Ur Body Does That U Never Knew Were Defense Mechanisms(pictures) / COVID-19: Akeredolu To Deploy Drones For Disinfection Of Public Places (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.