Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. - Computers (407) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (1272631 Views)

22 Essentials To Consider Before Buying A Laptop/computer PC/MAC / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Laptop Problems Here For Free Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) ... (1223) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 9:42am On Jul 31, 2014
rationalmind: Good day to all the engineers in the house.

The hard disk of a friends system just crashed. He has tried connecting the hard disk externally to other systems but not responding.

It now appears there's no other solution other than getting a new hard disk.

What he'll like to know is if there are ways he can recover his files from the disk.

Thanks

Maybe . It's a 50-50 thing. I hope it is not mechanical fault(i.e hard disk falling down)?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 9:43am On Jul 31, 2014
pxjosh: i've been having problems with my laptop lately. on its own the mouse just developed a fault. its just as if the 'left clicker' is pressed down; such that mere moving the cursor drags anything on its path. i then decided to buy an external mouse; the day i started using the mouse some of the keyboard keys stopped workin, just like that. please i'd like someone to help me out on how to rectify this issue

When you remove the external mouse, does the keyboard return to normal function?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by pxjosh(m): 9:47am On Jul 31, 2014
onegig:

When you remove the external mouse, does the keyboard return to normal function?
no
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by kevoh(m): 9:56am On Jul 31, 2014
kevoh: Nice work you guys are doing here. So here's my issue:

Got bored last two week and decided to play PES using laptop keyboard, this continued for about 3 days (Game time periods 2 to 3hrs). Then I switched just a few days ago to 'Return of the Kings' game, which involved me using the left click button of the mouse repeatedly (to fight enemies)
Duration not more than one hour and I stopped after.

Now yesterday, I was watching a movie and sliding my thumb semi-consciously on the mouse left click button(looks worn out) only for me to realise that some keys on my keyboard no longer function. If I type B I get V instead, Enter doesn't even work, Numeric keypad displays 8 or 2 no matter the number pressed. Sometimes I get a long - or t continuously without even pressing any keypad.

Now these are what I've done so far in terms of troubleshooting and the problem still remains:
1. System Restore
2. Tried to blow the keypads (with my mouth tongue ) to remove particles
3. Opened the keyboard part of my laptop, removed the ribbon cable from the slot, placed it back and screwed the keyboard back. Still nothing

I'm on virtual keyboard now and would not have bothered much but that long repeated - or t messes up my browsing and typing experience. Makes it difficult to type in passwords.

Here are the Laptop details:
Toshiba Satelite C660/C660D.
Mouse still works but I've switched to left-handed mouse option instead.

Any one with useful suggestions please help out. Thanks smiley

In response to my post since no answer was provided. I have detached the keyboard's ribbon cable from the connector on the MotherBoard. This has eliminated the annoying continuous typing of - or t.

New question: Where can I get original Toshiba C660 keyboard in Abuja to serve as replacement?
For now I'm making use of onscreen keyboard/speech recognition . Quite an experience!
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 10:27am On Jul 31, 2014
kevoh:

In response to my post since no answer was provided. I have detached the keyboard's ribbon cable from the connector on the MotherBoard. This has eliminated the annoying continuous typing of - or t.

New question: Where can I get original Toshiba C660 keyboard in Abuja to serve as replacement?
For now I'm making use of onscreen keyboard/speech recognition . Quite an experience!

Sorry about nobody responding to your help request. I can't really say for sure where in Abuja you can get that. But just check local computer stores around Gwarinpa area. They should have.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 10:39am On Jul 31, 2014
pxjosh: no

Can you go to device manager. uninstall the keyboard driver and restart your system?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by kevoh(m): 10:41am On Jul 31, 2014
onegig:

Sorry about nobody responding to your help request. I can't really say for sure where in Abuja you can get that. But just check local computer stores around Gwarinpa area. They should have.

Thanks man. I will check during the weekend. I was actually thinking of a Toshiba center (only Toshiba related stuff).
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 10:52am On Jul 31, 2014
kevoh:

Thanks man. I will check during the weekend. I was actually thinking of a Toshiba center (only Toshiba related stuff).

I doubt you would get one in Nigeria.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by pxjosh(m): 11:19am On Jul 31, 2014
onegig:

Can you go to device manager. uninstall the keyboard driver and restart your system?
ok let me do that. I would give you feedback. thank you
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by achovirux(m): 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
My laptop fell from my bed and the system can't boot on normally infact no stored program on d hard drives can open successfully...it keep telling me to contact an administrator...pls which command would I type in from safe mode to repair it or what could I do thank you
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by zube01(m): 12:12pm On Jul 31, 2014
onegig: the Dell 13r with intel processor goes for 70k or so. Should be an ideal one and can assure of it lasting more than that duration.
pls what's the specification?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 12:15pm On Jul 31, 2014
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Arobake: 3:06pm On Jul 31, 2014
onegig: Baring in mind previous help you have got. There are many reasons a system can be slow. It might be due to an aging processor, poor cooling system, blocked vents or even an hard disk with bad sectors. Since you have defraged your hdd. I would advise you don't partition. It won't change a thing. All you need do is carry out an hard disk test from your bios setup to ascertain the health of the hdd.

Thank you.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Idboyostic(m): 6:08pm On Jul 31, 2014
onegig: Can you open and check if the hard disk is physically present. If it is, might be bad due to mechanical damage while in transit.
yea bro, it works! I opened the back cover to see maybe the hard disk is present, discovered d cable that connect it to the laptop is loose. Have to pin it back, close the back cover and BOOM....switch on the laptop....and it start up normally.....Thanks
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 7:11pm On Jul 31, 2014
Idboyostic: yea bro, it works! I opened the back cover to see maybe the hard disk is present, discovered d cable that connect it to the laptop is loose. Have to pin it back, close the back cover and BOOM....switch on the laptop....and it start up normally.....Thanks

deji2009:
try f10 several time to get to bios
and look for the bios version you have i would
compare this version to the one on hp website.
After that go to diagnostics and run me a
test of the hard drive. make note of the result.
then f9 to load setup default
press f10 to save and exit then
attempt to boot again
what model is your hp. fo rexample hp cq60
windows vista ?
Have they opened the laptop recently ?
e.g. the bios battery out or a change of
motherboard

I can't believe you didin't check the back cover when you received the laptop.
say for example, you buy something and the cover is loose or screws coming out, is
so obvious you would examine it. wont you ? good it works anyway

1 Like

Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by julioralph(m): 8:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
Hello guys...
I recently changed d OS of my lenovo s10e from xp to windows 7 ultimate, and since then I've been having issues with d Bluetooth n Wireless........
The system Cannot send or receive files with Bluetooth and cannot connect to d wireless network around. Pls help out
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 10:23pm On Jul 31, 2014
julioralph: Hello guys...
I recently changed d OS of my lenovo s10e from xp to windows 7 ultimate, and since then I've been having issues with d Bluetooth n Wireless........
The system Cannot send or receive files with Bluetooth and cannot connect to d wireless network around. Pls help out

what is the make and model of your computer. You can download windows 7
compatibility check and report back
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by julioralph(m): 10:31pm On Jul 31, 2014
deji2009:

what is the make and model of your computer. You can download windows 7
compatibility check and report back
lenovo s10e.
Is it possible to download dat stuff with my phone?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by deji2009(m): 11:07pm On Jul 31, 2014
julioralph:
lenovo s10e.
Is it possible to download dat stuff with my phone?

no. Download it to a usb stick or directly to the computer
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by achovirux(m): 11:40pm On Jul 31, 2014
How do I carry out a hard disk test from my bios setup to ascertain the health of the hdd.?really need to check my hard disk that stopped booting since my laptop fell.because the system is pointing on disc repair
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Galads(m): 7:17am On Aug 01, 2014
I need you guys help pls. I previous posted a problem with my toshiba dyna note. It use to on and off randomly and I was advice to see a doctor wink :Dand now that problem is gone. (Actually the on and off damaged the battery.) The technician said its a power problem. Now I got a new battery, being charging close to 4hrs waiting for the light to indicate full but it didn't. So I tried to on it, will on but didn't charge at all and if I remove the charger, the system goes off as if the battery has no life. I remove the battery and put it back without the power cord on, it responded (30%) and while on, if I connect the charger, it will not indicate charging . But immediately I shtdwn, the lights will come up indicating charging. Now with power cord connected, repeated same procedure and its same thing. I feel the charger is faulty but now I need advice frm experts here. Culd it be, 1:battery 2:charger 3:what the technician did has affected the charging aspect of the system?
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 7:42am On Aug 01, 2014
what the technician did has affected the charging aspect of the system?
What annoys me most is this thinking from most clients. You take a system to an engineer and any new fault or anomaly it develops is the fault of the engineer. Why is that? I guess the initial fault was caused by the engineer also?

That's why i always use a caveat.

As for your questions. Best thing you need do is go change that battery if its a new one. It can't retain charge. Also check to see if other adapters will charge the battery so as to eliminate the doubt as to your adapter being the culprit here. Good luck
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 7:47am On Aug 01, 2014
achovirux: How do I carry out a hard disk test from my bios setup to ascertain the health of the hdd.?really need to check my hard disk that stopped booting since my laptop fell.because the system is pointing on disc repair
If it is an Hp. Hold the esc key when the system is starting up. Next press the f8 or f10 key to access bios settings. Go to diagnostic settings and you would see an hdd self test.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 7:50am On Aug 01, 2014
deji2009:

I can't believe you didin't check the back cover when you received the laptop.
say for example, you buy something and the cover is loose or screws coming out, is
so obvious you would examine it. wont you ? good it works anyway
Most don't follow through with the help you give that's just the sad truth.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 01, 2014
onegig:

Maybe . It's a 50-50 thing. I hope it is not mechanical fault(i.e hard disk falling down)?

Yes, it's a mechanical fault.

When it was connected externally, it wasn't vibrating as it should. Was only making a tick.

And it didn't fall.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by onegig(m): 8:46am On Aug 01, 2014
rationalmind:

Yes, it's a mechanical fault.

When it was connected externally, it wasn't vibrating as it should. Was only making a tick.

And it didn't fall.
I doubt that can be regenerated. Sorry about the loss. Hdds are very fragile.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 9:06am On Aug 01, 2014
onegig: I doubt that can be regenerated. Sorry about the loss. Hdds are very fragile.

Thanks bro. I really appreciate.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Emperor2014: 10:31am On Aug 01, 2014
Pls how much can I get a board/panel for my hp tx2 touchsmart pc. The board developed fault
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by samci: 2:53pm On Aug 01, 2014
Can I get a hand here, I formatted my system (1647 dell studio xps, core i7)n I got the drivers on line so I started running dem so wen I got to bios it freezed n I tried to off it n it it refused to then I removed d battry den replaced it back so I tried 2put it on n it brought light on the board but it dint display and after a while it goes off in a way dat sounds like u forced it to shutdown by placing your hand on d on switch. I'm on a long thing now cos dats my office n I got a job I need 2deliver so a help wuld b appreciated. THANKS
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 01, 2014
samci: Can I get a hand here, I formatted my system (dell studio xps, core i7)n I got the drivers on line so I started running dem so wen I got to bios it freezed n I tried to off it n it it refused to then I removed d battry den replaced it back so I tried 2put it on n it brought light on the board but it dint display and after a while it goes off in a way dat sounds like u forced it to shutdown by placing your hand on d on switch. I'm on a long thing now cos dats my office n I got a job I need 2deliver so a help wuld b appreciated. THANKS

Remove the ram and put in only one if it is two.
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 01, 2014
julioralph: Hello guys...

Update your drivers online by going to device manager
Re: Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. by samci: 3:11pm On Aug 01, 2014
I removed one ram n tried it n replaced it bk, I have removed d simos b3, hard drive, processor n left it overnyt (I driened it) n I replaced everything back bt nothing hapenned, I den removed d processor n I'm looking for an i7 processor bt culdnt find so I used a core i3 processor n later replaced it with the i7 bt its still doing same thing. So wat else du I try please

(1) (2) (3) ... (404) (405) (406) (407) (408) (409) (410) ... (1223) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.