Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,225 members, 7,825,865 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News (9904 Views)

New Sect Claims Responsibility For SARS Attack In Abuja -Desert Herald / Save The Unlawfully Detained Nigerian In Ukraine / Ibb Pleaded With Saudis To Release A Detained Nigerian Islamic Extremist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by RichyBlacK(m): 10:54am On Jul 31, 2009
texazzpete:

Yeah right. Four innocent civillians were killed by MEND in the Atlas Cove attack, the same MEND you wholeheartedly support. When you throw in the tens of innocents killed by MEND proxies like ateke tom and the civillians routinely killed during MEND operations you have to wonder at your hypocrisy for supporting this group while condemning the Nigerian Army.
When the video purportedly showing Nigerian soldiers killing two fishermen in Bonny emerged, you responded fervently raining down curses on the Nigerian Army. Why was your response to the deaths of the four civillians in Atlas Cove much more muted? Aren't all human beings supposed to be equal?

Last week MEND announced that 'oil workers and their families will now be targeted'. Families.  Does that word not sink into your skull? Where's the moral justification to pontificate about how evil the Nigerian Army is while you shamelessly throw your lot in with miscreants?

i'm now firmly in support of resource control, or at least an increase in Oil derivation to 50%. But i at least know not to place a halo over the heads of these people.

Yes, I support groups like MEND because they're doing what most Nigerians will never do - stand up to the most corrupt and shameless government the universe has ever been so unfortunate to witness - the Nigerian government! Uselessness!!!

MEND has kidnapped upwards of 500 civilians over their long campaign, many of them foreigners. How many of these hostages have been killed while in MEND's custody? Zero! MEND have been able to keep their hostages alive and release them to their families, many of them from Britain, America, China, etc.

Turn the page to the Nigerian Police Force. These hoodlums in uniform have killed thousands on the road asking for twenty Naira, raped women in their custody, murdered civilians who have sought help from them, murdered civilians in their custody, allowed mobs to take away civilians from their custody and behead them, etc. etc. Are these the people you want me to have confidence in?

It is an indisputable fact that the NPF and the the Nigerian Army, have killed more innocent civilians, within the last decade, than MEND, Boko Haram, MASSOB, OPC, etc., combined, can ever dream of killing!

Clearly, a Nigerian citizen is more likely to die in the hands of agents of state terrorism (Nigerian Police and Nigerian Army), than in the hands of groups like MEND, Boko Haram, etc. Do you doubt this assertion?

You talk about 4 people killed in the Atlas Cove attack. That is clearly collateral damage, as MEND is not out to kill civilians. I refer you to their excellent record of treating their hostages humanely. So, humane that one British hostage refused to leave and was begged to go home!

Zero back to NPF and NA:
1. Hundreds were killed in Zaki Biam, Benue State
2. Hundreds were killed in Odi, Bayelsa State
3. Thousands have been killed at so-called "check points" (I call them "slaughter points". Accidental discharge?)
4. Hundreds were killed by the recent JTF attack on villages in the Niger Delta

You submit four, I submit four thousand!

Since you couldn't digest my write-up on Boko Haram, I will state it again:
1. I never supported their actions.
2. I support the NPF/NA doing their job of maintaining law and order.
3. The NPF and NA are filled with too many numskulls who neither understand nor appreciate rules of engagement in a combat scenario: no killing of surrendered combatants, no killing of defenseless civilians, no killing of civilians fleeing, arresting combatants who surrender, etc.
4. The NPF and NA need training to respect relevant sections of the Army Code, the Nigerian Constitution, the Geneva Convention, etc.

You allow your emotions to make you play down the importance of the rule of law and due process and then say things like "kill dem jare, no be them start am? E good as dem kill am for police custody. Wish kain trial? Kill am jo!" This kind of pedestrian-level, savage and crude reasoning, mastered and appreciated by every uneducated miscreant on the street, has no place in the 21st century, especially among those that will, hopefully, lead the country tomorrow.

We have laws in Nigeria, even if Boko Haram and MEND go against the laws, must the NPF and NA stoop so low as to break the laws they are supposed to be enforcing? Does enforcing the law mean killing civilians in police custody?

If Nigerians cannot appreciate the importance of working within the framework of our judicial system, then there is NO HOPE for Nigeria, NONE!
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by quadrey(m): 11:45am On Jul 31, 2009
what this country is turning into is a keg of gunpowder placed on a box of tnt and now stored in an incinerator!!!!! yusuf mohanned has four wives and 12 children at 39 years wat kind of man is that? now the govt has turned him into a matyr for some jobless cowherders who now have a rallying point for their unjustified cause, why didnt the govt just parade the guy and arraign him to court afta he has been caught why kill him in custody? questions lyk these will bw asked yaaradull pls answer!!!!!
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by papagiddy(m): 11:47am On Jul 31, 2009
thank God, he is now in Al janna!
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by upuphim(m): 12:12pm On Jul 31, 2009
@RichyBlacK
You sound so much in support of miltancy, get enlisted if you have not.

@poster
I feel we are hasty at condemning NPF & NA action.  Let's wait for clearer circumstances surrounding his death but I assure you it is better to hear that he is dead than to hear he escaped from custody.  I'm sure today Honduras Interim Govt. is regretting why they sent Zaleya to exile instead of killing him.  Meanwhile, do anyone pity the policemen that are killed? They could be innocent citizen that wants to overcome idleness by enlisting into NPF o o o o!
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by larez(m): 12:20pm On Jul 31, 2009
Here is a post that i made in another forum yesterday. It looks like some people here have read it already as it is apparent in some of the posts here today. here is the link to my original post with a time/day stamp.
http://vote.sparklit.com/comments.spark?contentID=1005846&page=0&action=viewTopic&commentID=all&pollID=958929

In response to the Boko Haram guys, I have to say; What a pity? It is very unfortunate that in Nigeria, life is not considered as important. Here are Nigerian Policemen and Military killing Nigerian civilians. Was this the best approach? Were they given options of surrender? Do we have laws in this country? Is everyman not innocent until convicted of a crime? Did the Police and Army summarily judge, convict and execute these people?

Any fair minded Nigerian will be concerned about the slaughter of fellow Nigerians. Even guilty people still have families that love them. They are still humans and may deserve mercy sometimes. The act of mercy may change such people into the best of the society. These same people if they had been given a chance may have saved some lives in the future.

No matter how bad we consider them and their beliefs to be, we should not dehumanize ourselves and become like them. Afterall, Jesus Christ forgave 2 men who had been criminals and murderers all their lives, as they were being crucified with him. This is an example that we should always remember. We should not wait until the Police and Military do the same thing to us and our loved ones. People should still be availed to due process.

With that being said, I definitely will not excuse the behaviours of the Boko Haram people. These people should not be allowed to roam freely on the streets maiming and killing. But when we really look deeply into the issue, we will find that they are victims too. These people are victims of poverty which led to the fragility of their minds. They were ripe for indoctrination. Nigerians need to begin to care about each others social welfare. We need to urge/push our government to get more serious about eliminating poverty.

Poverty is indeed the crime that is being perpetrated against Nigerians. A country with so much resources being stolen by a select few while majority can hardly afford a good meal daily. Why will this not happen? Why will Boko Haram not exist in various parts of Nigeria? Boko haram is a response to the educated class. These is the class of Nigerians that have been foisted with leadership and trusted to deliver to the people. We have failed woefully. Our so-called education is proving to be a waste. We have not taken any social responsibilities to make lives better for our people, and here is their reaction.

It is only logical that when the educated do not serve the poor and better their lives, then the poor may as well seize power back and make do the best way that they can. Nigerian government has been irresponsible, and is now acting the medicine after death part. Nigerians allowed Sharia to enter into the system, which the constitution does not provide for. It was fine when it served the leaders and looters. Now the cost of Sharia has come to bear. It is now beginning to look too expensive, and I wonder just what will come next.

The handling of the Boko haram followers should not be mistaken for justice. It should be seen as a prelude to what may come to the Niger delta next. Now some southerners are jubilating, and thinking that the equalizer for the attacks on Southerners in the North has finally come. This will be a false assertion as I can clearly see this as a human sacrifice to legitimize mass killings that may be targeted at the Niger Delta next. Afterall, the North can always point to this incidence as the par for dealing with unrest anywhere in Nigeria. There is one thing that Nigerian leaders have been constant about. This is their sickened mental calculations. I will not trust the sacrificial slaughter of fellow northerners as a mere act of protection of Northern outsiders.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by HERO111: 12:30pm On Jul 31, 2009
Weda na boko haram o, haram boko o, kobo raham o, make dem just ask IBB for explanation or get him investigated. fulllllstop GBAM! lipsrsealed
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by jensinmi(m): 12:39pm On Jul 31, 2009
@ RichyBlack

I gbadun you jo.
Sensible talk about rule of law.

@topic

This is what happens in Nigeria and people don't say anything:

Criminal suspect is caught and killed in police custody and people say nothing.
It's all fun and games until someone's mother or father, brother or sister happens to be the criminal suspect.

Only then will certain Nigerians cry foul.

Like the good book says: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

EVERYONE deserves a fair trial.

And by EVERYONE, I mean EVERYONE

No double-standards.
No exceptions.

Today he's shot dead cause he is an "Islamic extremist"
Tomorrow another person is shot dead cause he is a "militant"
Then another person is shot dead for protesting on the street.

And people will say kill them all for disturbing the peace.
What peace?? Do Nigerians have peace??

To those who in anyway condone the death of people in police custody,  All I can say is

"Father forgive them for they know not what they do"

and Don't forget:
It could happen to you too.

After all, I wouldn't want myself, or my brother, sister, mother or father to be the one for whom The rule of law is "waived" to "protect" National Security.

God Bless.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by oshkosh(m): 12:43pm On Jul 31, 2009
Killed in Custody?  what a contradiction!

Is this not the same goverment desperately shielding currupt politicians like Ibori and other ex-governors under the contrived 'rule of law?' Abi is rule of law now selective?

While I understand the use of extreme measures against extremists like these (and no doubt the president would have been aware of the  assasinationation plot), the same approach should be used to deal with the cancer called curruption in Nigeria, which even more than islamic fundamentalism, will be the eventual undoing of our nation.

With every passing day, my disdain for this goverment grows. embarassed
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by lannre(m): 12:51pm On Jul 31, 2009
papa giddy:

thank God, he is now in Al janna!

on which authority are you talking ,Quran? Hadith ? , I am a Muslim so dont think otherwise.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by onyengbu1(m): 12:56pm On Jul 31, 2009
lannre:

on which authority are you talking ,Quran? Hadith ? , I am a Muslim so dont think otherwise.

are you implying he is not there?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by defemz(m): 12:58pm On Jul 31, 2009
Everybody should note and brace up for the grand agenda of the northern oligarchy. The Boko Haram saga is part of the design. The whole thing revolves around the the Niger Delta oil. I dont know if anybody could recall what the governor of Borno said. He said the Boko Haram people are not Islamic Jihadists but militants as we have them in other parts of Nigeria. It is not hard for anybody with deep insight to know that sporadic killings of these "northern militants" is a strong signal to the Niger Delta militants. What the northern elements seem to be saying is that since it doesnt take us trouble to eliminate the "northern militants", the same treatment would be meted out to the Niger Delta militants if they fail to yield to the amnesty deal. The signal though subtle, is there for everyone to see. My only concern is for the innocent and  people of the Niger Delta who are not part of this dirty yet dangerous politics of oil. Make no mistake about this, the north can not survive without the oil of the Niger Delta and they will stop at nothing to drive home their points. After the amnesty deadline, stiffer measure awaits the Niger Delta people.
The north will justify the evil that will be meted out on the deltans as a repeat of the "justice" that was done in the north against the Boko Haram militants, which is their brainchild anyway.

One thing that keep me amused, albeit being an irony is; the north are way too desperate to keep Nigeria together, they are the one who will eventually break it. The north sadly is on a perilious path.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by onyengbu1(m): 1:06pm On Jul 31, 2009
if you want to see his dead body too, click on the link below.

Dead Boko Haram Leader
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by GEW: 1:10pm On Jul 31, 2009
defemz:

Everybody should note and brace up for the grand agenda of the northern oligarchy. The Boko Haram saga is part of the design. The whole thing revolves around the the Niger Delta oil. I dont know if anybody could recall what the governor of Borno said. He said the Boko Haram people are not Islamic Jihadists but militants as we have them in other parts of Nigeria. It is not hard for anybody with deep insight to know that sporadic killings of these "northern militants" is a strong signal to the Niger Delta militants. What the northern elements seem to be saying is that since it doesnt take us trouble to eliminate the "northern militants", the same treatment would be meted out to the Niger Delta militants if they fail to yield to the amnesty deal. The signal though subtle, is there for everyone to see. My only concern is for the innocent and  people of the Niger Delta who are not part of this dirty yet dangerous politics of oil. Make no mistake about this, the north can not survive without the oil of the Niger Delta and they will stop at nothing to drive home their points. After the amnesty deadline, stiffer measure awaits the Niger Delta people.
The north will justify the evil that will be meted out on the deltans as a repeat of the "justice" that was done in the north against the Boko Haram militants, which is their brainchild anyway.

One thing that keep me amused, albeit being an irony is; the north are way too desperate to keep Nigeria together, they are the one who will eventually break it. The north sadly is on a perilious path.
to think that foolish rilwan lukeman taking  NNPC hqtrs to kaduna is still allowed to be  talk in nigeria when people like him ruined the oil industry industry in the first place.  

the dividing of nigeria is getting closer.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by steaming(f): 1:10pm On Jul 31, 2009
d innoent ones that were murdered didn't they deserve a fair hearing?

he who lives by the sword must die by the sword?

if he had been left alive, who knows his people wud have gone ahead to kil more people asking for the release of muhammed yusuf?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by defemz(m): 1:16pm On Jul 31, 2009
Everybody should note and brace up for the grand agenda of the northern oligarchy. The Boko Haram saga is part of the design. The whole thing revolves around the the Niger Delta oil. I dont know if anybody could recall what the governor of Borno said. He said the Boko Haram people are not Islamic Jihadists but militants as we have them in other parts of Nigeria. It is not hard for anybody with deep insight to know that sporadic killings of these "northern militants" is a strong signal to the Niger Delta militants. What the northern elements seem to be saying is that since it doesnt take us trouble to eliminate the "northern militants", the same treatment would be meted out to the Niger Delta militants if they fail to yield to the amnesty deal. The signal though subtle, is there for everyone to see. My only concern is for the innocent and  people of the Niger Delta who are not part of this dirty yet dangerous politics of oil. Make no mistake about this, the north can not survive without the oil of the Niger Delta and they will stop at nothing to drive home their points. After the amnesty deadline, stiffer measure awaits the Niger Delta people.

Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Nezan(m): 1:18pm On Jul 31, 2009
As far as I am concern, what the boko haram guy was doing was a treasonable offence. No government treats such with kid gloves. He should have known the implication of his actions, at least i was told he has a varsity degree.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Ibime(m): 1:18pm On Jul 31, 2009
defemz:

[size=14pt]After the amnesty deadline, stiffer measure awaits the Niger Delta people. [/size]

You said it all my friend.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Nija4Life(m): 1:18pm On Jul 31, 2009
I have read with keen interest the views of many people on here and it is fair to say there are two sides of the argument: those in favour of the killing of the Boko Haram leader and those against it. I can understand why some people wanted the man dead considering the mayhem they unleashed on innocent people but the question is to why kill a man if you already have him in custody? Surely he would have been prosecuted and the authorities could have got more facts about his organisation's real motives and those behind them if at all any. But then again I am sounding like we do things the civilised way in Nigeria which isn't the case. Surely the timing of the incident to coincide with the crisis in the Niger Delta leaves more to be desired. Is it a diversionary political tactics? Or is it one of those 'religious' crisis that we have accepted as the norm and after a few days when calm returns, life is beautiful again as if nothing ever happened? Or we may never get to know and it becomes one of the many myths of our nation that we have become used to.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Vealkyrie(f): 1:25pm On Jul 31, 2009
^^^^^^But why kill a high-profile criminal in police custody? This does not make sense at all.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by onyengbu1(m): 1:30pm On Jul 31, 2009
Vealkyrie:

^^^^^^But why kill a high-profile criminal in police custody? This does not make sense at all.

I wonder ooo. Who is ever gonna believe their 'he is trying to escape' cock and bull story.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Vealkyrie(f): 1:35pm On Jul 31, 2009
onye_ngbu:

I wonder ooo. Who is ever gonna believe their 'he is trying to escape' cock and bull story.

^^^^^I believe this is a cheap ploy to deceive the populace. The FG should move against the Police station and bring all the officers to justice.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by blackmann(m): 1:40pm On Jul 31, 2009
Nija4Life:

I have read with keen interest the views of many people on here and it is fair to say there are two sides of the argument: those in favour of the killing of the Boko Haram leader and those against it. I can understand why some people wanted the man dead considering the mayhem they unleashed on innocent people but the question is to why kill a man if you already have him in custody? Surely he would have been prosecuted and the authorities could have got more facts about his organisation's real motives and those behind them if at all any. But then again I am sounding like we do things the civilised way in Nigeria which isn't the case. Surely the timing of the incident to coincide with the crisis in the Niger Delta leaves more to be desired. Is it a diversionary political tactics? Or is it one of those 'religious' crisis that we have accepted as the norm and after a few days when calm returns, life is beautiful again as if nothing ever happened? Or we may never get to know and it becomes one of the many myths of our nation that we have become used to.

I also look at it the same way. If the guy wasn't killed but kept in custody, there would be a very high tendency that his followers will increase their level of violence and this might spread to other states, just for his release. now that they've killed him, we'll see wat they will do. on the other hand, why kill someone already in custody? like someone said, there may be more to this than meets the eye.
another thing that caught my mind is, shebi dem talk say the man was canvassing against wetsern education? and he has a varsity degree? drives posh cars? has Cable TV? and he's canvassing against western education? why do some pple like decieving themselves sef?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by naijaking1: 1:43pm On Jul 31, 2009
Killing this islamic leader in police custody sounds like the old west stories.
No, he was not trying to escape, life is too sweet for him---4 wives, luxury cars, etc.
Somebody wants him dead, before he could talk---that's why they didn't want to wait to prosecute him
His sponsors didn't want him to talk, yes, he had sponsors; how else could he have emassed so much wealth ?
The brains behind his death in police custody wanted very much to cover their tract, for now.
The cycle of politically motivated islamic riots in the north is not about to end, because the master-minds are still walking around in the corridors of power
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by agabaI23(m): 1:53pm On Jul 31, 2009
The case of Gloria Okun quickly comes to mind.

Who says he is dead assuming they truely arrested him?

What police force will publicly annouce that they have killed a man in detention forcing people to believe he is killed by voluteering a free view of his body?

The guy could have been ferried away to Niger like DOE.

Dead for where?
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by mikkyrazzy: 1:55pm On Jul 31, 2009
This only shows where we are going in this country with our present system of government.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by GEW: 2:01pm On Jul 31, 2009
agabaI23:

The case of Gloria Okun quickly comes to mind.

Who says he is dead assuming  they truely arrested him?

What police force will publicly annouce that they have killed a man in detention forcing people to believe he is killed by voluteering a free view of his body?

The guy could have been ferried away to Niger like DOE.

Dead for where?
when i heard the news yesterday night the first word i said was another gloria okon again.  knowing the lawless mafias that rule that land nothing is impossible for the thieves.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by naijaking1: 2:05pm On Jul 31, 2009
mikkyrazzy:

This only shows where we are going in this country with our present system of government.
This shows once again that despite all the religious, tribal, and regional diversions, the activities of the Nigerian government remain suspect. It's like a regime run by some criminal enterprise, that's why the whole international community is condenming this so-called killing while-in-police-custody.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Seun(m): 2:05pm On Jul 31, 2009
Killing the man is a terrible mistake.  
He was just a religious fanatic before,
but they have now made him a matyr.  
Matyrs breed more matyrs.  sad
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by naijaking1: 2:07pm On Jul 31, 2009
Seun:

Killing the man is a terrible mistake.
He was just a religious fanatic before,
but they have now made him a matyr.
Matyrs breed more matyrs. sad

Mistake or cover-up
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by chiozor: 2:12pm On Jul 31, 2009
Malams killing Malams. Whats is the big deal, grin grin grin grin
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Kx: 2:15pm On Jul 31, 2009
I dont know why,but i have a strong feeling the north is at it again.
I am not convinced that man was trully killed.
Re: Detained Nigerian Sect Head 'Dead' - Breaking News by Vealkyrie(f): 2:16pm On Jul 31, 2009
chiozor:

Malams killing Malams. Whats is the big deal,  grin grin grin grin

^^^^^^^^^Stop this joke. The worth of the life of a Mallam is the same as that of an American.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Call On President Buhari By PDP To Sack Amaechi, Onu Frivolous,mischievous – APC / World Bank Predicts Higher Per Capita Income For Nigeria / 5 Greatest Living Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.