Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,935 members, 7,838,338 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? (9314 Views)

Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Modern Nigeria Like Our Colonial Era. / Is It Time To Invite Our Colonial Masters To Return? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 6:01pm On Aug 10, 2009
@Beaf

don't mind all these people that don't know the kind of damage and the financial abyss their slave masters dug this country into before falsely pegging our currency at par with theirs.

Anyway, let's go on with the class. Since no one can provide information on any single structure or sustainable development the Brutish put in place in Adamawa state, let's move on to the next state. I didn't mention Abuja because they left that entire place as a forest because it didn't have any resources which they could ship out.

Okay then, let's see what the invaders left in the next state. Please don't be shy if you can think of anything at all. Nothing is too small.

AKWA-IBOM:
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by bawomolo(m): 6:02pm On Aug 10, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I find it quite shocking that many miss that part of the whole. Thank you for at least addressing that.

Nigerians (Hausas, Ibos, Yorubas etc) WANTED independence and FOUGHT to get it. 50 years later, the same Nigerians BLAME those who they fought so hard to get rid of, for all their woes and incompetence. Really sad!!!

tick tick tick
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 6:17pm On Aug 10, 2009
Are you people finally admitting that the Northerners who wanted independence delayed were right afterall?
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Beaf: 6:21pm On Aug 10, 2009
Morizo:

We hurriedly got the independence we were yearning for and started fighting amongst ourselves. Our Pre-colonial leaders are to blame for this. They should have been interested in the transfer of technical know-how not POWER! look at the asian Tigers today. They are enjoying the positive side of Colonialism while we are languishing in the negative side.

What is the "transfer of technical know-how" and were on Earth has it occurred outside of strategic alliances? Like I said earlier, we need to apply logic to our circumstances; nobody develops a country that isn't theirs. "Transfer of technical know-how"? . . .The basic principles of recent inventions have existed for donkey years, "transfer of technical know-how" will never happen. We might as well wait until kingdom come for manna from heaven.

We have the brains and talent, so what’s wrong? Something must be amiss with the vehicle if it wouldn’t start or shudders to a halt after a miserably short distance.
Nigeria has a fundamental issue with inertia. The inertia is caused by 250+ ethnic groups tugging at each other and the centre (FG). These constant battles grind down our ability to react on time or make effective decisions and this has been worsening in an increasingly tighter spiral. The solution is to set up a proper framework that will satisfy all 250+ ethnic groups or break the country up. We are currently on the road to nowhere.

The country needs to be set up in a way that fosters the interests of all 250+ ethnic groups. The Colonial master set the country up in a way that would work for them after slavery was abolished, so that they didn’t lose the economic benefits of slavery. All they did was move the plantations from the Americas to Africa.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by mechris: 6:32pm On Aug 10, 2009
Their coming back will simply restore sanity and re-ordering.If after 50 yrs of independence and we are going from bad to worse, we should not be ashamed to admit failure and diplomatically ask for constructive imput.Presently the country has no developmental or policy direction.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by bawomolo(m): 6:40pm On Aug 10, 2009
nex:

Are you people finally admitting that the Northerners who wanted independence delayed were right afterall?

northerners were for a delay not because they cared about Nigerian development but because they were scared of southern domination in the civil service. now you guys have the quota system for that.

Nigerians should deal with their issues rather than dwelling on the past.  The british dealt us a bad card so what are you gonna do about it.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Fhemmmy: 6:48pm On Aug 10, 2009
If it will bring about development and better life of the people, i beg call them back
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by fayahsoul: 7:39pm On Aug 10, 2009
JomoGbomo2:

@fayahsoul, this is not a hatred thread, we are looking for how to solve problems, dont add to it pls.

The thread is already about your self-hate. . .u insecure weakling. I bet you're an ugly ducklin too, mr. jomoHOMO. tongue
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 7:55pm On Aug 10, 2009
Assuming the claim that Northerners were for a delay is taken as fact, why then are those who FOUGHT TOOTH AND NAIL FOR THIS the ones proclaiming the ex-colonists are to blame for their fate 50 Freaking years down the line? Since the country got it's independence, even with the claimed RESISTANCE from the north, why are the ex-colonials to blame 50 years after?
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by zibby(m): 10:21pm On Aug 10, 2009
Jomo! Are you well? If na joke make you stop am o!!! angry
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by xyzed23: 3:43am On Aug 11, 2009
Ol
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:56am On Aug 11, 2009
xyzed23:

YES WE SHOULD CALL OUR COLONIAL MASTERS BACK! Nigeria did not gain its sovereignty because it exemplified internal leadership and self governance to the world. Nigeria gained its sovereignty because colonialism was coming to an end after WW2. DEFAULT. That means that we were not fit to lead ourselves in the first place! Unfortunately Nigeria is being recolonized but the people do not know. The fact that we rent our arable land to China so they can feed their people is a form of colonization. The fact that our leaders keep accepting structural adjustment loans from the IMF and World Bank so that they can keep us in debt and acquire our resources for cheap is a form of colonialism. The fact that Shell takes our crude oil, our most precious commodity, and makes us buy back the finished product is a form of colonization. Wallahi Nigeria is in shambles. Although I'm only 18 I hope some day that I can make an impact in Nigeria, and not just one to enrich myself and friends. Anyone reading this can make an impact. When like minds congregate, change occurs (be it positive or negative).

i agree with you.
thats why people never understood me when i said "nigeria is still slaving for the white man without physically slaving for the whiteman"
yeah that sucks.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by ndelta1(m): 4:42am On Aug 11, 2009
YESSS
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by ndelta1(m): 4:46am On Aug 11, 2009
fayahsoul:

The thread is already about your self-hate. . .u insecure weakling. I bet you're an ugly ducklin too, mr. jomoHOMO. tongue

Lets face reality, Nigeria is in the hand of butchers who are already cutting us into sizes they wants, let the britico comes back better in their hand than these immature rulers
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 10:08am On Aug 11, 2009
Instead of people to be thinking how we can totally remove ourselves from being a common wealth of the brutish people, some people are talking about how we can make ourselves a Totalwealth Nation to them. Have you asked yourself how much Queen Elizabeth and her family made off Nigeria. Without asking why Italy is paying Libya $5 billion for ripping them off during their own captivity. Instead of Nigerians to be asking their slave masters to pay back the Trillions of Pounds Sterling they made from us during those 70 years, we're asking them to come and steal zillions.

Suffer never touch una yet. That time they will level the entire Niger Delta relocate the people to Kebbi state and build a mighty port in Bayelsa state for extracting all the crude oil to Brutain. They will bulldoze the entire Abuja and use it to construct Groundnut Pyramids. Flatten the entire Western Region leaving only Cocoa house and use the entirety of ve remainder land to cultivate cocoa trees.

They will turn all bankers, telecom workers, engineers and medical doctors to farmers and tree planters to enrich the Crown. Those that cannot make their quota will have their right hand chopped off just like it was done in the Congo.

By the way, our list is still open. Since no one can think of anything done by the slave masters in Abuja, Abia and Adamawa states, we're now on Akwa Ibom. Please somebody tell us a single thing they did there. Don't be shy, nothing is too small
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by jimuchy: 9:15pm On Aug 11, 2009
I beg all this grammar wey una dey talk na torey call the colonial masters back i am 100% sure they cannot operate without electricity, they will organise that one for man pickin life go surely better with 24/7/365 electricity.

Abi broses wetin una think??
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 9:34pm On Aug 11, 2009
@jimuchy

So when they arrange this 24 hour electricity, do you think they will connect it to your house or only to their colonial offices, farms and oil pigs. As a matter of fact, I will let you know that by the time the Slave Drivers come back, they will not need more than the 2,500 MW Nigeria is already generating to run their business here forever.

Go and ask your grandparents if there was constant electricity when their master, Lugard was in Nigeria. They will confirm that there was. Ask them if they ever used it, then you will know what we're talking about here.

During the enslavement of Nigeria, the entire country produced less than 1,000 MW. Decipher how that was serving 60 million Nigerians with constant electricity.

If your Oyibo master used electricity and any excess was left, they would channel small to the palace of the Sardauna, then the remainder would be used by their dogs, cats and other pets.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Aug 11, 2009
jimuchy:

I beg all this grammar wey una dey talk na torey call the colonial masters back i am 100% sure they cannot operate without electricity, they will organise that one for man pickin life go surely better with 24/7/365 electricity.

Roflmao!!!
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by bawomolo(m): 9:46pm On Aug 11, 2009
jimuchy:

does the word apartheid strike a note.

we would give you free electricity? ole buruku
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Beaf: 10:06pm On Aug 11, 2009
nex: By the way, our list is still open. Since no one can think of anything done by the slave masters in Abuja, Abia and Adamawa states, we're now on Akwa Ibom. Please somebody tell us a single thing they did there. Don't be shy, nothing is too small

You still de worry with some of these guys and their cadaver thinking?
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by oyinda3(f): 10:14pm On Aug 11, 2009
jimuchy:

upon the electricity, make them build roads, hospitals, schools n what not. after we have been settled n properly civilized then we can kick them out n enjoy ourselves abi wetin u think?
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 12:18am On Aug 12, 2009
@oyinda

there was constant electricity when those country-nappers were here prior to 1960, but besides Ikoyi, where Baturai lived, where else was the electricity going to? Did the electricity reach a single household in Bayelsa or Kebbi
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 12:25am On Aug 12, 2009
oyinda.:

upon the electricity, make them build roads, hospitals, schools n what not. after we have been settled n properly civilized then we can kick them out n enjoy ourselves abi wetin u think?

Electricity was not a problem in Nigeria up until the late eighties. If these people come back to build these things, what is the guarantee that when they leave again things will not go back to the way they are now?

What I find hard to grasp is why we are so unwilling to accept that the problem is ALL OF OURS, and then start pushing to CORRECT the situation? This blame-THEM mentality really just sucks the life out of me. When will we ever wake up? Are we the only ones who were colonized by the British? Look at Australia, Canada, and so many other countries out there still under the british. Why are we, the ones who actually got independence where we are and still whining??
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by oyinda3(f): 5:25am On Aug 12, 2009
ah ahn pls don't compare australia and canada o. lol or even SA
maybe ghana will be a more appropriate comparison.

to be honest though. I don't think this is a "blame them" or "whine" topic. probably just meant to make us think deeply about our whole situation. lol
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by chillbabe(f): 7:35am On Aug 12, 2009
@topic No i don't think so. I think we have to replace all our leaders with nigerians in diaspora who are past the tribalistic thinking and have a broader vieuw. The ones with western thinking and still have the love for a better Nigeria. Cause this is a great country we need to start thinking out off the box out off our tribe. People from diverend tribes are getting married these days so if Nigerians are doing that isn't it not also time to start thinking out off the box. Just my 2 cents.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 7:38am On Aug 12, 2009
You people should tell me how many states were connected to the National Grid when your slave masters were around.

98% of Nigeria did not have powerlines, not to mention electricity itself.

How many Universities were built over the 70 years your Oyibo captors held you and what percentage of Nigerians attended these universities. Abeg make una go faint.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by 3kay945(m): 11:19am On Aug 12, 2009
nija would ve bin better under colonial master, becos the white would want to meet international standard in atleast some policies,facilit,program, if nt many, and nt dis animal farm we are into.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by akigbemaru: 1:34pm On Aug 12, 2009
If you want Colonial masters to come back, just have it at the back of your mind that, Abuja and Lagos will be long to you (Black people). grin grin grin grin
You and I go to Ikoyi today and be very happy to see great mansions own by black men. Do you know that during British Rule, no any black man could walk along Ring road or Lugard road in Ikoyi. We are all blacks now, no discrimination and non of that. You and I should be happy with what we have and clamor for additional oversight with the ways government handles our money.

Herbert Macualy fought with British till he died.

As an opponent of British rule

Herbert Macaulay was an unlikely champion of the masses. A grandson of Ajayi Crowther, the first African bishop of the Niger Territory, he was born into a Lagos that was divided politically into groups arranged in a convenient pecking order [/b]– [b]the British rulers who lived in the posh Marina district, the Saros and other slave descendants who lived to the west, and the Brazilians who lived behind the whites in the Portuguese Town. Behind all three lived the real Lagosians, the masses of indigenous Yoruba people, disliked and generally ignored by their privileged neighbours. It was not until Macaulay’s generation that the Saros and Brazilians even began to contemplate making common cause with the masses.

Macaulay was one of the first Nigerian nationalists and for most of his life a strong opponent of British rule in Nigeria. As a reaction to claims by the British that they were governing with "the true interests of the natives at heart", Macaulay wrote: "The dimensions of "the true interests of the natives at heart" are algebraically equal to the length, breadth and depth of the whiteman's pocket."[2] In 1908 he exposed European corruption in the handling of railway finances and in 1919 he argued successfully for the Chiefs whose land had been taken by the British in front of the Privy Council in London. As a result, the colonial government was forced to pay compensation to the chiefs. In retaliation for this and other activities of his, Macauley got jailed twice by the British.[3]

Macaulay became very popular and on June 24, 1923, he founded the Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP), the first Nigerian political party. The party won all the seats in the elections of 1923, 1928 and 1933.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Elgaxton(m): 1:46pm On Aug 12, 2009
What we keep forgetting is that Freedom requires some extent of responsibilty.

Yes there's challenge in handling freedom and that is what we are facing.

I think its better for the colonialist to come back (if its possible)

Freedom has never the entire black race any good smiley
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by 3kay945(m): 3:13am On Aug 13, 2009
mr akigbemaru u re rite but my point remain that they would adjust to the demands of the century and nt that old skool time wit little or no science nd technologcal development,.wit protest and campaign dey would ve heels to the masses and nt dis DEAF heartles rulers, grin
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by slimJesus: 4:56pm On Aug 13, 2009
yes i think we need to call on our colonial masters becos 9ja needs be colonised again orelse,
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 4:57pm On Aug 13, 2009
call them back for what? shocked
what can they do for us?
RUBBISH!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

GEJ Pictures When Annoyed By BBC Interviewer / How Oronsaye Spent Fg’s N190m In Secret Account – Witness / My Administration Will Be Committed To Fixing Nigeria – Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.