Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,089 members, 7,852,690 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:28 AM

Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? (9324 Views)

Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Modern Nigeria Like Our Colonial Era. / Is It Time To Invite Our Colonial Masters To Return? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by oyinda3(f): 6:00am On Aug 09, 2009
N101:

It's time we stop burying our heads in the sand as if Nigeria deserves some special dispensation for the mess it's in. 

The British left other places in the same state or worse, why is it that some of them, in spite of the obstacles, find their own way and Nigeria seems to be pedalling but not getting far very fast?  How many at the time of independence were really thinking of Nigeria's interests and not their own self-importance - or is that the fault of the British as well?

most of them have just as bad governments as naija to be honest. that "some" is few.
and did u read the rest of my post? of course our govt shares part of the blame if not most. our leaders lack basic leadership skills
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 7:19am On Aug 09, 2009
Those of you advocating for re-colonization, I know where your problem is coming from. You're looking at South Africa and trying to make comparisons. The Oyibo people you see in South Africa today are not colonists, they are immigrants that came for permanent residence since the 16. They came to make that place their permanent home forever. The British came to Nigeria just to lodge, gather the resources together and ship them to Europe. You people say you wish they were here till the 80's or 90's. Well, they would have been if not for the first world war, and the fact that they thought the oil discovered in the late 50's wasn't going to amount to much.

If by 1959 we were producing up to 1 million barrels per day of crude oil, I swear to you our slavery would have been the senior brother of whatever happened in the plantations of the Americas.

All of you reason the way the Oyibo man made you to think. What is so colonial about their activity in Africa? The British and French lost their slave farms when America got independence therefore they came to the conclusion that it may be even more profitable to catch the slaves and make plantations right there in the homes of the slaves: Africa.

When some people take out their dirty fingers and type that they have colonial MASTERS, I wonders whether they know they're admitting that they are colonial SLAVES.

I want to go further and ask those wise colonial slaves in here to mention how many areas were developed in Nigeria for the more than 70 years that the British held us captive. Tell me how many structures which you see today were built by your masters. As at 1945, the Franks and the Brutes had already signed an agreement with Russia and the USA that for the help they got during world war 2, they will relinquish all the captive lands of Africa. That dragged on till 1960 for us, but since 1945 when the British knew they were leaving, everything they did became short term investments.

YOUR SLAVE MASTERS RUINED US.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by N101: 10:33am On Aug 09, 2009
oyinda.:

most of them have just as bad governments as naija to be honest. that "some" is few.
and did u read the rest of my post? of course our govt shares part of the blame if not most. our leaders lack basic leadership skills

I read the rest of your post but when it starts off with the statement I quoted it almost negates anything else.  

The British did not leave "few" in a bad state, there were quite a lot, and some of them were in a worse state than Nigeria.  Some territories they withdrew from whilst they were in conflict, some had underlying tensions.

Are you saying that Nigeria was ruled after independence by semi-literates?  I don't know how you quantify "leadership skills", that was not unique to Nigeria; it would also be true for almost all of the countries that the British withdrew from and many occupied by Europeans. 

I find it insulting that we should presume that our leaders need some kind of "leadership schooling" - where on earth do these things exist for people to become presidents or prime ministers?  Did Patrice Lumumba go to one?  Jawaharlal Nehru?  Kwame Nkrumah?

What makes the Nigerian situation that more special to what happened in Ghana, Malaysia and India, much less some of the former French colonies?
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 11:14am On Aug 09, 2009
Please, let us start mentioning all the sustainable development infrastructure that the invading Brutes left Nigeria with. Please contribute to the list by naming a state then listing what the Brutish did for the Nigerians living there. Starting in alphabetical order:

ABIA
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by mechris: 2:29pm On Aug 09, 2009
Looks like we really got the independence ill prepared seeing how things has played out so far, if we can work out an arrangement with them to sort things out, there is nothing to be ashamed of.we are messed up!! big time!!
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by luc26(f): 3:13pm On Aug 09, 2009
won't b a bad idea.atleast we wud b sure of development cos d people ruling nw a nt humans but sum sort of aliens 4rm hell.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kay17: 3:16pm On Aug 09, 2009
The British had never taken it as a deliberate policy to develop our country, no extensive network of roads, no electricity, no industries, no education, in short left a lot to be developed.  Besides they still hold our economic independence leavin us yoked to huge debts. The way forward is achieve total independence and survival of our democracy.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by alias64: 3:26pm On Aug 09, 2009
Can you imagine the psychology of the children of the type of people who claim to be Nigerians but do noting but disparage and belittle the country of their ancestors? Those children must go around all the time feeling inferior. No wonder, it appears, that the Nigerians in top positions here in Britain or who do best, were often born in Nigeria or had their formative years in Nigeria.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by fayahsoul: 3:46pm On Aug 09, 2009
. . .leadership is not brain surgery or rocket science. Government is not 'white magic'

Our politricians only need to take their greedy filthy hands of state and federal funds. In fact any political system-democracy, dictatorship, monarchy, theocracy, patrimonialism etc-would suffice for the nigerian situation as long as state revenue is not stolen.

Just free the damn resources that are available for human and infrastructural development
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by anataala: 4:33pm On Aug 09, 2009
Hi all,
we are not praying for any fucking colonial masters to come back that i beleieve are the master minders of our problem as one entity Nigeria, but i believe the best things for all of us is to change our attitude towards our country by praying for God fearing leaders and also by being part of the transformation process, by using what ever possible means we have to change our great country for better, we are not praying for this counrty to break looking at where we are coming from, is really very dangerous May Allah continue to bless Nigeria and Nigerians Ameen

Remain Bless all
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 4:45pm On Aug 09, 2009
Nobody can mention anything that the Brutish did in Abia state? Okay let's go to the next state and see whether anybody can mention a single road, a single electric pole or even a single tree planted by Lugard and the rest of his Brutish invaders. Next state in alphabetical order ;
ADAMAWA:
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by fayahsoul: 6:38pm On Aug 09, 2009
anataala:

Hi all,
we are not praying for any fucking colonial masters to come back that i beleieve are the master minders of our problem as one entity Nigeria, but i believe the best things for all of us is to change our attitude towards our country by praying for God fearing leaders and also by being part of the transformation process, by using what ever possible means we have to change our great country for better, we are not praying for this counrty to break looking at where we are coming from, is really very dangerous May Allah continue to bless Nigeria and Nigerians Ameen

Remain Bless all

Who be we? omo abeg speak for ya self and try restrict the 'blessings' of your allah to u and ya house hold. tongue
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by FBS: 7:47pm On Aug 09, 2009
@topic

[size=14pt]NO![/size]
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by litlbity1(f): 9:04pm On Aug 09, 2009
Nigeria is still a part of the British Commonwealth of Nations (formalized in 1931). 53 independent sates held by a broad alliance treaty naming the British monarchy as the head of that alliance. Now you may not say God Save the Queen or call the state prosecutors the crown but let’s face it, England still has its grubby meddling fingers in your society. You think they can walk into any country and build a jail for their own purposes? England is a sore loser. They may have given in and left the countries but they still like to keep a finger in the pot.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Theblessed(f): 9:12pm On Aug 09, 2009
My dear broda, I dey for your side o!  Enof is enof, o!  I don come to the point wey dem go come back, o, come finish the thing wey dem started, o?  At least, we go get gud skool, gud tap water, gud rood, gud hospital etc. People wey dey say no, to this idea make I ask una?  Wetin awa brodas don do for us all the time dey bin thiefing awa money?  At least Oyibo man go say, make dem do one solid thing for these people, before dem go, go e.g guud skools, guud Hospital or guud road instead, awa brodas dey kari their children abrod to get education whilst Nigerian skools, hospitals, roads don kpafuka - which one better?
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by JomoGbomo2(m): 9:13pm On Aug 09, 2009
Who be we? omo abeg speak for ya self and try restrict the 'blessings' of your allah to u and ya house hold.

@fayahsoul, this is not a hatred thread, we are looking for how to solve problems, dont add to it pls.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 9:55pm On Aug 09, 2009
@TheBlessed

may you be blessed if you can mention any good hospital your Brutish slave masters built for you in Nigeria before 1960 and how many Nigerians were treated there.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2009
WE DONT NEED THE STUPID BRITISH BACK TO RULE NIGERIA.

WE NEED FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT.

LOOK AT HOW BEAUTIFUL LAGOS IS. LOOK AT ALL THE IMPROVEMENTS BEING MADE AND HE HASNT EVEN BEEN IN OFFICE TOO LONG.

WE NEED SOMEONE LIKE FASHOLA TO RULE NIGERIA SO WE CAN BE SEEING ALL THESE THINGS ALL OVER NIGERIA.

MONEY IS NOT EVEN THE ISSUE.

WE HAVE SO MUCH MONEY FROM OIL, ALL WE NEED IS A GOOD LEADER TO SPEND THE MONEY WISELY AND NOT PUTTING IT SOMEWHERE IN SWISS BANK ACCOUNTS.

FASHOLA FOR PRESIDENT!!!

LOOK AT ALL THOSE OIL RICH COUNTRIES ON THE ARABIAN PENINSULA. WONDERFUL!!!

THE BEST CITIES, ROADS, HOSPITALS, SCHOOLS, EVERYTHING.

ALL OF THIS FROM THEIR OIL!!! WE CAN DO THE SAME.

NO NEED FOR THE BRITISH!!
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 10:20pm On Aug 09, 2009
Call them by their original name that they have now corrupted. The Romans called them THE BRUTISH. It was because of their brutal nature that they were able to massacre, conquer and enslave so many people.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by oyinda3(f): 11:28pm On Aug 09, 2009
@N101

what I mean is that other former colonies don't have the most perfect countries/ govts either. even india has it's share of problems so does ghana (in fact there are speculations about some excessive spending over a the day obama visit they just had). but yea naija does have it really bad. no kidding.

imo it was immediately after and during independent is when we had our most solid leaders. and most of them were foreign trained or trained by the british. a lot of those people u mentioned there even. Nkrumah for example studied extensively abroad. even lumumbah studied abroad if only for a brief period of time. most of our independent fighters, Azikiwe, awolowo both studied abroad. but this was back then when we didn't have solid higher institution system at home.
now that we do, why aren't these schools producing good leaders? fashola for example is a good example. but we need more. as opposed to these old alhajis who don't know the difference between minerals and soft drinks.
that was my point about the leadership schooling. it would be a better idea over the nepotism we have in place now.

and by leadership schooling, I don't necessarily mean a school specifically for presidents or politician. but something along that line. u will see that most leaders of foreign countries tend to have similar educational backgrounds. ivy leagues, top military schools that places huge emphasis on leadership skills etc.

the first part of my post was responding to a poster who talked about having more roads, hospitals and schools and that's where i agreed that maybe if they had stayed into the 80s we would have a more solid education system? rather than us having to go abroad to get good education etc but that was just a guess anyways. nobody can know for certain.
and for me it's not the social state (conflict etc) that matters when they left the country but rather the infrastructure. that's why I agreed that we probably would have had more infrastructure if they left later - especially schools, roads etc. but i don't see the reason why we can't build ours though!?
I was trying to understand both sides of the argument.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by ocelot2006(m): 12:15am On Aug 10, 2009
The best thing for us Nigerians to do is STOP WHINING. We need to drop all these slave attitude and tribalism, and place the country first. If you think the attitudes I mentioned are good, then maybe you need to migrate to war-torn countries like the congo; with your mindset you'll really fit in.
We are the only ones that can make Nigeria better, not the americans or british. Nothing stops this nation from becoming an economic powerhouse, but that responsibility falls on us Nigerians. We need to stop whining, get the hell up, and contribute our own quota in making Nigeria better.The malaysians & singaporeans did so, and are reaping the rewards of their hardwork.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by fayahsoul: 12:43am On Aug 10, 2009
@ topic

Shameful.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Oba234: 2:22am On Aug 10, 2009
wow, the person that created this topic is pathetic? so what exactly is colonization going to solve? we were colonized before and that didn't stop the deep rooted issues that existed between ethnic groups. If we were to colonized again, we are going back to sqare one again.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Donvilo(m): 6:44am On Aug 10, 2009
What! That's impossible! How can we call back the people who made our country to be this way? (Although, they had no intention of ruining 9ja.) What we should be thinking now is how to reconstruct our country & not moving back to our dreadful past! angry
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 6:57am On Aug 10, 2009
nex:

Call them by their original name that they have now corrupted. The Romans called them THE BRUTISH. It was because of their brutal nature that they were able to massacre, conquer and enslave so many people.

the girls in your picture are pretty, but you sef. lol

why you dey post picture wey you get belle and close eye?
wetin be dis? lol

just kidding.

but the girls are pretty, especially the one on the left.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by mayrho(m): 8:44am On Aug 10, 2009
Till we learn to do things the right way and treat everyone fairly we are heading 4 d rocks
And frankly i think we need to go our separate ways
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Ben13: 10:23am On Aug 10, 2009
Our condition will become worstened. No more colonial matsers, please!
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Nezan(m): 12:22pm On Aug 10, 2009
Ben20001:

[size=38pt]No more colonial matsers, please![/size]
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 12:30pm On Aug 10, 2009
No more? They have not been there for 50 years but we have managed to convince ourselves that they are to blame for our own incompetence in that time. Read and see how we refer to self as incompetent idiots, zombies MADE to do what we have done to ourselves.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Beaf: 3:42pm On Aug 10, 2009
nex:

Nobody can mention anything that the Brutish did in Abia state? Okay let's go to the next state and see whether anybody can mention a single road, a single electric pole or even a single tree planted by Lugard and the rest of his Brutish invaders. Next state in alphabetical order ;
ADAMAWA:

Ask them! Your questions prove that the premise (foundation) of this thread is fatally flawed. It couldn't have been put better.

Threads like this are really embarrassing. For example, the British built universities, but what courses were available and why; what section of the population was covered and why; what was the curriculum; what were the graduates like; what were the catchment areas and what did they emphasise? That single area is symptomatic of the traps we have either needed to negotiate or have sprung. It doesn’t have to stop with education, how many were served by their electricity grid and where did they have to live?

The main problem with threads like this it really plumbs the depths for shallow thinking. Sometimes, it makes me wonder if there are trolls deliberately forwarding these foolish views.

Anybody who has been privileged with an education to A level or beyond, has come across the study logic to some degree or the other http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logic

I will leave you all with this. Nigeria has acquired two drones (pilotless aircraft), but cannot fly them, because operational costs were not involved in their calculations. This one incident embodies every one of Nigeria’s problems, the unwillingness of our people to apply logical thought.

The best thing for Nigeria would be a split into regions that can exist in harmony. That way each can take care of themselves and develop at their own pace.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Morizo(m): 5:19pm On Aug 10, 2009
We hurriedly got the independence we were yearning for and started fighting amongst ourselves. Our Pre-colonial leaders are to blame for this. They should have been interested in the transfer of technical know-how not POWER! look at the asian Tigers today. They are enjoying the positive side of Colonialism while we are languishing in the negative side.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Aug 10, 2009
Morizo:

We hurriedly[size=14pt] got the independence we were yearning for [/size] and started fighting amongst ourselves. Our Pre-colonial leaders are to blame for this. They should have been interested in the transfer of technical know-how not POWER! look at the asian Tigers today. They are enjoying the positive side of Colonialism while we are languishing in the negative side.

I find it quite shocking that many miss that part of the whole. Thank you for at least addressing that.

Nigerians (Hausas, Ibos, Yorubas etc) WANTED independence and FOUGHT to get it. 50 years later, the same Nigerians BLAME those who they fought so hard to get rid of, for all their woes and incompetence. Really sad!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Okupe Condemns Opposition Governors’ Visit To Maiduguri / Kashamu To Distribute Rams, Motorcycles In Ogun / 2022 Budget: Reps Fear Economy Collapse, Says Debt Servicing Too High

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.