Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,102 members, 7,842,172 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? (9318 Views)

Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / Modern Nigeria Like Our Colonial Era. / Is It Time To Invite Our Colonial Masters To Return? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by asha80(m): 9:25pm On Aug 13, 2009
'Nigerians' are confused on what should be done to nigeria. cheesy
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 9:25pm On Aug 13, 2009
THE AMAKA:

look here! there is a difference between making deals with a country and calling a country back to rule over it.
you can make deals with the white man (not that we already havent with all the oil and things like that) but to call the white man to come and rule your country for something that isnt even guaranteed to take place, then thats when there is a problem.

The questions asked are not about the WHITE man coming to rule but questions for those who do NOT already know that if the WHITE MAN/BLACK MAN/BLUE MAN/GREEN MAN gets to a place/ any place, be it Africa, Bangladesh, Panama, Ouagadougou, He will first and foremost look out for NUMERO UNO i.e SELF.

Just that when I hear people WHINING about how the WHITE MAN has yet to PAMPER him/her to his SPECIFICATION, I wonder if these same ever know that they would so exactly the same if they were in the same shoes considering it is human nature to look out for SELF at all times and it is up to the other party to do same.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 9:26pm On Aug 13, 2009
asha 80:

'Nigerians' are confused on what should be done to nigeria. cheesy

I am one Nigeria who is not confused!! I know what needs to be done. I just wait for others to accept that it is not up to the moon god but self to get that country working the way we continue to dream it ought to.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Fhemmmy: 9:27pm On Aug 13, 2009
Walk there and collect what they owe you now.
They owe u so much and yet millions of us are living in the nation, many Nigerians are sleeping at the doors of the colonial master every night and yet we said they have done us so much damages and bad.
We do all they do, and all our kids are dying to go and serve them at will in their own shore, could they have been that bad?
We sold ourself into slavery and all the nonsense of them owing us is enuf
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 9:34pm On Aug 13, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Walk there and collect what they owe you now.[/b]They owe u so much and yet millions of us are living in the nation, many Nigerians are sleeping at the doors of the colonial master every night and yet we said they have done us so much damages and bad.
[b]We do all they do, and all our kids are dying to go and serve them at will in their own shore, could they have been that bad?

We sold ourself into slavery and all the nonsense of them owing us is enuf

roflmao!!!
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 9:40pm On Aug 13, 2009
Those of you that are claiming that the North is using the wealth of the South, you too, stroll to Abuja and collect your rightful ration.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 9:45pm On Aug 13, 2009
nex:

Those of you that are claiming that the North is using the wealth of the South, you too, stroll to Abuja and collect your rightful ration.

there is a problem in your statement.
does everyone have the opportunity to go to abuja?
the people in the south need for their land to be BETTER!!!
why should they run somewhere else to recieve something they should be getting at home?
they need to fix their area and stop doing the people of the niger delta so shadily (is that even a word??)
anyway you get my point, i hope.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Fhemmmy: 9:45pm On Aug 13, 2009
Tell them where to go to in Abuja and i am sure many will do that.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 9:47pm On Aug 13, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Tell them where to go to in Abuja and i am sure many will do that.

there is a problem in your statement.
does everyone have the opportunity to go to abuja?
the people in the south need for their land to be BETTER!!!
why should they run somewhere else to recieve something they should be getting at home?
they need to fix their area and stop doing the people of the niger delta so shadily (is that even a word??)
anyway you get my point, i hope.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 9:48pm On Aug 13, 2009
basically!!!! the nigerian government needs to fix where the people are living at their own home.

no one should have to run to abuja. why cant the people in the niger delta get what the people in abuja are getting?

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Fhemmmy: 9:50pm On Aug 13, 2009
@AMAKA,

I was just joking with that one of going to Abuja, i dont blv in Abuja handing over things to me, i blv in doing my own thing to be what i wanna be
and after that, i can now wanna look for ways to make my good being and environs to wanna extend to my immediate surroundings
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by akigbemaru: 8:39am On Aug 14, 2009
nex:

Gbam!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by akigbemaru: 8:41am On Aug 14, 2009
Fhemmmy:

@AMAKA,

I was just joking with that one of going to Abuja, i dont blv in Abuja handing over things to me, i blv in doing my own thing to be what i wanna be
and after that, i can now wanna look for ways to make my good being and environs to wanna extend to my immediate surroundings

If you could think this way, the better your way be. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Horus(m): 1:02am On Aug 16, 2009
Some Africans limit themselves inside a mental box due to a mindset developed by the western society. This mindset is often referred to as "the slave mentality."  Those that accept the mentality easily find satisfaction in providing service to/for those in power, and give trust and respect to the "slave masters" instinctively. As for their own African people, they view them as inferior, and often less deserving, in contrast to those who are served. Every aspiration and desire belonging to the slave was not manifested by his self, but was given to , instructed and/or imitated from his master. The slave mentality's strength and foundation lie in the replacement of five key elements: history, language, religion, and family name. With the absence of these elements, the people are forced to adopt a new perspective on who they are and where they stand in society. Now that we have access to our true history, we can begin to escape this mindset.  By understanding our accomplishments before European  domination, we can re root our motivations as well as intentions and find  an overstanding which will lead to solutions to our plights.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 1:25am On Aug 16, 2009
TRUE.

some people are so ready to accept the colonial masters back, with no real reasons why.
all they can say is that nigeria hasnt been doing anything for the past 50 years.
and what makes them so sure the british can do the same?
they are just so trusting and willing to give into it that they can do it all for us, when they cant.

i cant exactly put it into words but i agree with you. smiley
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by cap28: 11:23pm On Aug 16, 2009
i dont think there's any need for us to bring back the colonialists as they never left in the first place!! all that happened was a changing of the guard whereby the british passed the keys to the kingdom across to their Nigerian stooges for safe keeping - the northern elite.

the reason we continue to suffer as a race of people is because we are incapable of critical thinking - years of brainwashing by way of western education and christianity ensured the complete destruction of our ability to think and act in our own best interest. We talk about how we are educated - but my question is educated to do what? to follow and agree with everything the white master tells us?.

Just to show you how dire our situation is we have completely forgotten the damage that was done to our people by way of slavery and colonialism: the genocide and subsequent dehumanisation of our people which continues today particularly in north america and europe although now under a different name: institutionalised racism.

the white man really did a job on us because he knew that if he could control how we think he wouldnt have to work too hard in order to control the way we act, i look at the way we think and its all about being like him and he knows this. This is why he can use the northern elite against us because he knows as a people we lack self love and are totally in awe of him, he knows we find it difficult to think for ourselves and he knows that we cherish him more than we cherish and love each other, so what he does is pit us against each other.

look at how docile and malleable we are - why after centuries of brutalisation by him would we even think of asking this question

how can we look at nigeria today in its current state of decay and beleive that we are honestly an independent nation - its a fallacy to even think that we are. Everything that has happened to this country since independence has been orchestrated and teleguided by the west.

do you think that the northern oligarchy attained their position of power fair and square without any help from their british friends?

the western countries have only one objective and it is the complete subjugation of africa, its people and its natural resources therefore to ask for these same people (who never left by the way) to come back and save us is a bit like a nazi holocaust survivor asking a former nazi concentration camp guard for assistance on how to recover from post traumatic stress disorder!

The west has always and will always want what is best for them and not what is best for us and any relationship that they have with us will be based on fulfilling that interest and that interest alone therefore - people lets stop making fools of ourselves and wake up to the reality of the world we live in.

Nigeria does not exist in a vacuum - the west needs our natural resources - they are cunning - they will resort to all manner of underhand means in order to achieve their goals including using our own people against us - theyve been doing if for centuries how do you think they were able to conquer the world!

for some reason this simple truism doesnt seem to register with most nigerians and again and again i keep hearing the same arguments: " its still our fault because this northern elite should know better than to exploit their own people and " we have allowed them to get away with it and therefore we deserve what we get"

my answer to the first statement is - the northern elite do not see themselves as brothers and sisters of southerners - they allign themselves more to their muslim brothers and sisters in north africa and the arab world as is evidenced by the fact that nigeria is now a member nation of the OIC and the D8, their relationship with the south is purely an exploitative one (just like their puppet masters relationship with them).

my answer to the second statement is - we are completely divided along ethnic lines and until we can overcome our petty differences and unite, any attempts to face down the common enemy will be nothing more than a fantasy.

if you look at a country like Haiti, the first black republic - it has continually had to pay the price for emancipating itself from slavery - america imposed a 60 year trade embargo on them and they were ordered to pay reparations to their former slave masters (the french) which crippled their economy. this was their punishment for having the guts to stand up to white oppression, the country was then invaded and a puppet dictator was installed, recently in 2004 america invaded the country again under the pretext of peace keeping and removed a democratically elected president (Jean Bertrand Aristide) who won by an overwhelming landslide and had him deported to south africa!

when the people came out to demand the return of their democratically elected president they were massacred by UN "peace keeping" troops and US trained paramilitary death squads.

a puppet administration was then installed (quite similar to Nigeria's) and now the country has signed up to various IMF and world bank loans that are causing extreme hardship to its people (just like Nigeria), the Haitians being a courageous people are still protesting and still being massacred but no main stream western media is carrying the story because of the embarrassment that it will cause to their governments.

i refer to Haiti because it demonstrates that getting rid of an unpopular administration is not the end of the problem but the beginning as you then have the Puppet master to contend with.

in my opinion bringing back the slave (puppet) master will mark the beginning of the end for us - the way forward as a nation is to UNITE - against the common enemy - the northern oligarchy and the West - that is the only chance that we will have to defeat the current tyranny that we are under and the tyranny that is yet to come.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by ceah(m): 11:32pm On Aug 17, 2009
@Amaka, i think you should come back to nigeria, you cant leave your ass in the states and expect to understand femmmy and kobojunkie, they are talking from experience, i am one of the few that will never leave this country to stay somewhere else cos i see alot of potential in terms of my capacity but if the stupid leaders could just help a little like give the crumb of the bread like femmmy suggested then thing will be much better. nigerians are asking for little but they are not even getting anything, i have being to over 20  countries around the world and i know what is obtainable, i think you should come back and live with the noise of this generators all over and let's see if you wont run back in 2 weeks, i have a neighbour whose parent just threw down to nigeria from the usa, he cries everyday cos nothing seem to work, 3/4 of my friends already run out of the country, i took 2 for a conference in malaysia 2 years ago and they vanished into thin air, imagine someone that own a house in nigeria telling me he prefers to stay in malaysia with little or nothing to do than coming back to this lost country, i could only track him down 1 year after and he was vomitting all this trash, we got independent before malaysia, same time with singapore, why have they changed and why did nigeria refuse to change, come back home amaka and feel the rythme of femmy and kobojunkie, thanks,
All the same GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by nex(m): 11:41pm On Aug 17, 2009
@cap28

few Nigerians are still as intelligent as you. Go through the threads and see what your people are saying about themselves.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 11:42pm On Aug 17, 2009
i have been to nigeria and especially in lagos where the generators were VERY loud.
i didnt stay too long in lagos because that wasnt my final destination.
i stayed some time in owerri, and it wasnt as bad as you might think.
and then i stayed in the village. quiet, cool, calm.  smiley

but anyway apart from that my whole point is, someone said that we should look at ghana for example.
whoever said that cannot compare ghana to this situation because they arent being run by another country.
they may have deals with foreign nations, but there is a difference between making a deal with a foreign nation and another country TAKING CONTROL of another country.
also people need to stop having so much faith in the white man aka the british.
people arent sure they will do ANYTHING for us.

so i dont understand why some people are SO SURE of themselves, did they make promises or guarentee they were going to do something?
abeg, lets stop all this wahala.
people should not trust the british and WILLINGLY accept them back as rulers of Nigeria.
thats all i have to say. this is not a matter of living in Nigeria.
my point is what can the british do? did they make promises?
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by ceah(m): 12:02am On Aug 18, 2009
i beleive everyone knows that the british will not even accept to come back cos we have moved from that era, some people are talking about racial discrimination, what about tribal discrimination, sometimes i think we should look at the individual instead of the colour or tribe, if we say the white discriminate against us racially then what about the one we do with ourselves, ghana was willing to change, singapore was willing to change, malaysia was willing to change, why have nigerian leaders refused to change and not willing to change, ALL WE NEED IS CHANGE MY PPL, LET THE CHANGE BEGIN IN YOU AND I, GOD BLESS.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 12:03am On Aug 18, 2009
that sounds like Obama's moto!! grin grin
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by ceah(m): 12:16am On Aug 18, 2009
Before Obama became a Senator i have been talking about change cos i see that's what nigeria leadership lacks, you guys have made me contribute today.i hardly contribute, i just sit and read and laugh out my ass, Good Night all, I need to DREAM OF A CHANGED NIGERIA, hahaha.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 1:26am On Aug 18, 2009
THE AMAKA:

i have been to nigeria and especially in lagos where the generators were VERY loud.
i didnt stay too long in lagos because that wasnt my final destination.
i stayed some time in owerri, and it wasnt as bad as you might think.
and then i stayed in the village. quiet, cool, calm. smiley

but anyway apart from that my whole point is, someone said that we should look at ghana for example.
whoever said that cannot compare ghana to this situation because they arent being run by another country.
they may have deals with foreign nations, but there is a difference between making a deal with a foreign nation and another country TAKING CONTROL of another country.
also people need to stop having so much faith in the white man aka the british.
people arent sure they will do ANYTHING for us.

That is not true. First off, don’t you have a problem with telling people not to have faith in the white man yet, from head to toe, you are clothed with products of the white man and his cunning? Possibly, you live in the white man’s land too?? Roflmao!!!! I think you should try to stop doing that. Lol

I am not advocating for colonials to come back. Matter of fact, I think this is yet another way of saying “ we are not willing to do what it takes to get ourselves where we need to be”. I am not going to fault the white man cause Nigeria is one amongst so many past-colonies, most of which are doing excellently well to this day. Examples, Australia, Canada ( still british colonies, by the way).
By the way, the lie you told there is the one where you claim people aren’t sure they will do anything for you. In the last 30 years alone, the white man has delivered to Africa almost 2 TRILLION dollars in AID. Most of the money coming from private WHITE MEN who donated towards one cause or another to help raise you and your own children. It will be ungrateful of you to blame him for your problems after all that. But then again, you are African and it seems in the African blood to throw blame everyone else but self.

THE AMAKA:

so i dont understand why some people are SO SURE of themselves, did they make promises or guarentee they were going to do something?
abeg, lets stop all this wahala.
people should not trust the british and WILLINGLY accept them back as rulers of Nigeria.
thats all i have to say. this is not a matter of living in Nigeria.
my point is what can the british do? did they make promises?

They can actually do a lot more than you have for the past 40 years. I mean you are already in near hell ( Talking of the state of things in Nigeria), you think it can get any worse? Roflmao!!
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 1:57am On Aug 18, 2009
my whole point is!!
people shouldnt have so much faith in the british.
did the british even make promises?

people are too willing to accept them back.

and yes you said PRIVATE donations from the white man.
and there is still a difference between making deals with the british and asking them to rule.
after all, are they not the ones who instigated the biafra war? arent they the ones supplying northern nigeria with all its weapons to then KILL many southern nigerians.
abeg, stop all this.

me being clothed from head to toe and living in the US does not have anything to do with whether or not the BRITISH should CONTROL Nigeria.
wtf? many people in nigeria are being clothed by the white man, and what does that mean?
NOTHING.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 2:57am On Aug 18, 2009
THE AMAKA:

my whole point is!!
people shouldnt have so much faith in the british.
did the british even make promises?
People can and are free to have faith in whom they choose. Unless you can provide them a viable alternative, you are just trying to pump your opinion on everyone else with no solid reason for it.

THE AMAKA:

people are too willing to accept them back.
People are also willing to tear your Nigeria apart so they can claim they have a bigger piece of the pie for themselves, your point?

THE AMAKA:

and yes you said PRIVATE donations from the white man.
I did not say JUST private. I made it clear it was from private and public pockets.
THE AMAKA:

and there is still a difference between making deals with the british and asking them to rule.
Sure there is a difference. You had your people rule you for almost 50 years, what have you got to show that is better than having the british rule you? I mean come on, if you are honest and admit the last fifty years we fought to get and squandered of our own, then you will admit we have not really done a good job of rulling ourselves either. I don’t understand why you are here trying so hard to paint the british black here when in your own hands, Nigerians has gone from manageable to near hell for millions.
THE AMAKA:

after all, are they not the ones who instigated the biafra war? arent they the ones supplying northern nigeria with all its weapons to then KILL many southern nigerians.
abeg, stop all this.
Sure, they are to blame for everything, even when you catch a cold, it is the British. I get it!!

THE AMAKA:
me being clothed from head to toe and living in the US does not have anything to do with whether or not the BRITISH should CONTROL Nigeria.
wtf? many people in nigeria are being clothed by the white man, and what does that mean?
NOTHING.
It actually means a whole lot. It means you DEPEND on them, even though you do not admit it. They currently RULE you in that most of the choices you make daily are British in a way. So, Stop being afraid of the British. If not the British, then whom?  Nigerians?  The same ones that have reduced the nation to a laughing stock in less than a century? Are you saying Nigerians have PROVEN themselves better so far than the British? If you are not willing to admit that we messed things up ourselves, why school people in whom to faith or not faith in .
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:47am On Aug 18, 2009
EXACTLY!! neither can nigeria do anything for us.
so are you so sure the british will do the same?
i understand its my opinion and your opinion but some people are just so WILLING to have the british back, for what?

either way it goes i think Nigeria is stuck.

it seems you have TOO MUCH FAITH in the british, and somehow you want to BELIEVE they can do something for us.
please, either way it goes, i feel nothing will be done.

and calling the colonial masters back? how does anyone know they want to rule us anyway?
if it isnt for the oil and their own selfish needs, WHAT ELSE?
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 3:58am On Aug 18, 2009
THE AMAKA:

EXACTLY!! neither can nigeria do anything for us.
so are you so sure the british will do the same?
i understand its my opinion and your opinion but some people are just so WILLING to have the british back, for what?
either way it goes i think Nigeria is stuck.

Like I said earlier, there are those who are bent on tearing your Nigeria apart as well. None of them has valid answers to offer now, but they are right when they state that things are so messed up. Just that they are convinced that bringing change to the group ruling is the way to go.

THE AMAKA:
it seems you have TOO MUCH FAITH in the british, and somehow you want to BELIEVE they can do something for us.
please, either way it goes, i feel nothing will be done.

and calling the colonial masters back? how does anyone know they want to rule us anyway?
if it isnt for the oil and their own selfish needs, WHAT ELSE?

I never told you anything about me having TOO MUCH FAITH In the British. You may need to read my post again. I simply stated that for you trying to trash the British here is not helping your cause considering you are unable to prove that we have been able to do a better job than the BRITISH.

In fact you come off as someone who harbors some bitterness against the British, and it does not help make whatever point it is you are trying to make here. Mind you, you are not the only one. If you go to convince people of anything, you do not go there bad mouthing your opponent and feeling that sort of validates your point.

All you have done is claim the British are responsible for all your problems but there is not one proof to show that is the case. We know that Nigerians demanded freedom from the British, which they got back then too. Sure, they supplied guns and ammunitions to the Nigerian Government, what has the use to do with the British when it was your own government that used those guns against its own people? Your government signed deals with the British that they gained from. What has that to do with the British when it was your government that signed those deals, knowing full well that the other side was bound to gain from it as well?

You have an incompetent lot in government who continue try to sell you to the highest bidder and you think your enemy is the man who bids the highest for you?

As long as we continue to delude ourselves that THEY are always to blame for OUR own faults and issues, we are bound to remain on the path we have been on since independence and it seems in the end, our own neighbors might come to save us from our own selves.
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 4:01am On Aug 18, 2009
OMG you type too much. lol
i have a headache, can you shorten it please? smiley
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by Kobojunkie: 4:29am On Aug 18, 2009
My point is, those wanting Colonial Masters, those wanting a Biafra/Arewa/Yoruba/Boko Haram nation etc are essentially all doing the same thing. Only that we know for a fact that the British can actually handle the job, but we have no proof that any of the other groups will work out since they are going to, in the end be headed by Nigerians, yes the same who have run a whole country into the ground in less than 50 years . roflmao!!
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 4:40am On Aug 18, 2009
Kobojunkie:

My point is, those wanting Colonial Masters, those wanting a Biafra/Arewa/Yoruba/Boko Haram nation etc are essentially all doing the same thing. Only that we know for a fact that the British can actually handle the job, but we have no proof that any of the other groups will work out since they are going to, in the end be headed by Nigerians, yes the same who have run a whole country into the ground in less than 50 years . roflmao!!

hehehehe yeah i understand your point.
and the reason why i came across as angry at the british because i will never get over the biafra war.
yeah people will say "she was born and raised in the US, neither was she alive in the 60's. what does she know?"
but i will never get over how CRUEL they were to us when they supplied the north with weapons to basically KILL OFF all the igbos or the southern nigerians.
they knew that if we became our own nation, they wouldnt have so much control over the oil.
they basically sent in arms to kill off all the southern nigerians.
that was a divide and conquer situation.
and im still upset about that. even though i wasnt alive, nor do i know anyone who fought in the biafra war, it still hurts on why they would do something so inhumane, all because of OIL!!
the northerners are just as heartless for what they did too.

i would never want this again.

but anyway . . . i  understand your point.

Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by otokx(m): 4:43am On Aug 18, 2009
@AMAKA

its not like that; there is always something behind somethings
Re: Should We Call Our Colonial Masters Back? by THEAMAKA(f): 4:46am On Aug 18, 2009
then please explain to me what its like because i really want to know.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Download The Authentic Petroleum Industry Bill 2012 / Why Can't The Anambra State Government Build The Second River Niger Bridge??? / Cabinet Shakeup Looms In Lagos State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.