Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,573 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian (16296 Views)

How Do I Know If My Girlfriend Will Get Fat When I Marry Her? / Should A Jobless Guy Go Into A Relationship? / Should I Marry This Single Mother? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by martha89: 2:32pm On Apr 29, 2016
okeke00:
you can but you have to avoid one particular state in nigeria. Osho baba stste
lol good!
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by HaneefahRN(f): 2:48pm On Apr 29, 2016
But I fear Edo people o, from the experience of a senior colleague of mine who is yoruba and married an Edo woman (young ,beautiful woman). Unfortunately the woman died from brain cancer and her family so frustrated the man's life claiming he killed their daughter and that all his properties belong to their daughter, they took everything from him, cars and all, including his only child and asked him to come and do some weird traditional rites which he was to pay for.

I don't know if this is common to Edo people or he just married from a wicked family
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Chukazu: 2:52pm On Apr 29, 2016
hian.
I personally think it's totally boring to marry from one's own tribe.

I mean of all the beauties and diversities of humans, how can I be so withdrawn and laid-back to want to marry from my own tribe?

variety is still the spice of life.
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by speciallymade(m): 2:59pm On Apr 29, 2016
HaneefahRN:
But I fear Edo people o, from the experience of a senior colleague of mine who is yoruba and married an Edo woman (young ,beautiful woman). Unfortunately the woman died from brain cancer and her family so frustrated the man's life claiming he killed their daughter and that all his properties belong to their daughter, they took everything from him, cars and all, including his only child and asked him to come and do some weird traditional rites which he was to pay for.

I don't know if this is common to Edo people or he just married from a wicked family
Oga oo... What kind of stupiid culture is that? Sometimes it baffles me how some people accuse of husband/wife of killing his/her wife/husband when he/she dies simply because they have some properties they have their eyes on , someone you love and you gave your heart to but I don't really blame them Sha lot o things have gone upside down in the world today, ki olohun sa ma sowa.... I think the husband should have sought for the expertise of a lawyer what right do they have to seize his properties? Abi shey na their daughter's name on the properties documents ni? Maybe it's a joint thing Sha, one cannot really tell....sweetheart, thank God I'm a Yoruba like you grin so you have nothing to worry about
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 29, 2016
[/b] THE OP'S PROFILE SAYS SHE'S A F AND HE/SHE PRESENT HIMSELF/HERSELF AS A M[b] Na only me notice that

Well, l will marry anywhere I find love. That's d koko. I want a conducive environment for my kids. I want them to witness love b4 falling in love at all.
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 3:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
HaneefahRN:

Are u serious

So, the life of that daughter is not important They are just after the properties. Smh
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by vicben27(m): 3:56pm On Apr 29, 2016
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by vicben27(m): 3:57pm On Apr 29, 2016
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by vicben27(m): 4:01pm On Apr 29, 2016
After carryin out researches n observation hav come to d conclusion dat it beta to marry frm one' own tribe! Dis ar my discovery/observation during d course of my research.
Disadvantages.
(1) nigeria is a country with diverse culture n practices this values ar slowly get extinct wit d inter tribal buhaha.
(2)children dat ar born into dis home ar often confused abt der dialect n often time dy grow up nt knwin hw to speak der mums or Dad's language therefore dy bcom lik lost sheeps wen der parents ar no longer alive(no value for culture)
(3) der wil alwayz b dat difference between d couples Wéda dy lik it or nt. Being dat der ar nt frm different I tribe.
(4)inability to communicate secretly out pple knwin is ruled out.
Advantages of marryin frm marryin frm dsame tribe.
(1) the understandin and synegy is jst der. Between d couples
(2) the relationship btwn d couples parents is stronger wen dy ar frm d tribe
(3) there is the possibility dat d kids wil learn more abt der culture, origin and language.
(4) d entire family can communicate in der dialect.
(5) der is preservation of culture n values.

Dis are based on my own personal findins as dy say love is all dat matters. Love is d greatest of all things if u love her n its feels right jst wife her.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by HaneefahRN(f): 4:13pm On Apr 29, 2016
speciallymade:
Oga oo... What kind of stupiid culture is that? Sometimes it baffles me how some people accuse of husband/wife of killing his/her wife/husband when he/she dies simply because they have some properties they have their eyes on , someone you love and you gave your heart to but I don't really blame them Sha lot o things have gone upside down in the world today, ki olohun sa ma sowa.... I think the husband should have sought for the expertise of a lawyer what right do they have to seize his properties? Abi shey na their daughter's name on the properties documents ni? Maybe it's a joint thing Sha, one cannot really tell....sweetheart, thank God I'm a Yoruba like you grin so you have nothing to worry about

I don't know if it's their culture o or they just want to exploit the guy. None of them knew they had a daughter when she was seriously ill, it was after she died they remembered. Started asking for 500K almost every week for traditional rites, when the guy later refused to oblige such requests again they came to ravage his house, took his car,took his daughter too and were asking for his properties claiming it is their daughter's since he acquired most after he got married to her.The case was in court last time I heard and he finally managed to get his daughter back after series of travelling and wahala, almost lost his sanity. I'm sure if he hears 'E' before he hears 'DO', he would have picked race.

Lolz

Lolz
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by HaneefahRN(f): 4:14pm On Apr 29, 2016
HateU2:
Are u serious

So, the life of that daughter is not important They are just after the properties. Smh

Abi o. The man's situation gave me shivers, people are wicked ehn.
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by speciallymade(m): 4:26pm On Apr 29, 2016
HaneefahRN:

I don't know if it's their culture o or they just want to exploit the guy. None of them knew they had a daughter when she was seriously ill, it was after she died they remembered. Started asking for 500K almost every week for traditional rites, when the guy later refused to oblige such requests again they came to ravage his house, took his car,took his daughter too and were asking for his properties claiming it is their daughter's since he acquired most after he got married to her.The case was in court last time I heard and he finally managed to get his daughter back after series of travelling and wahala, almost lost his sanity. I'm sure if he hears 'E' before he hears 'DO', he would have picked race.

Lolz

Lolz
lol..it's advisable to marry from your tribe to avoid something like this if such thing happens
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Koinzino(m): 4:41pm On Apr 29, 2016
marrying from another tribe is not bad. the question here, is your compatibility with the person u intend to marry. sometimes, even marrying from your tribe doesnt guarantee fruitfulness in that marriage. atleast, u re old enough to decide what u want. do not allow your parents take decisions for u.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Babalegba(m): 4:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
Some people are so backward
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by bezimo(m): 4:50pm On Apr 29, 2016
In marriage I believe tribe should be secondary.Whats important is the will of God, compatibility, friendship and love, mutual understanding.However, I hear the proverb that what an elder sees sitting down, a child cant see standing up.I've heard all kinds of bizzare stuff.Whether they are true or not is left for the parties involved to decide.

Like sounthern Kaduna, Calabar and Benin girls normally kill their husband. I never believe oh

Also like stay away from mbaise girls, because its better to kill mbaise girl than kill snake because they are mean.I don't know if the myth is true.
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Rose01y: 5:07pm On Apr 29, 2016
u go old grin
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Rose01y: 5:07pm On Apr 29, 2016
u go old grin grin
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by teasel: 5:37pm On Apr 29, 2016
Umm.. I hear Nigeria is a patriarchal society. Doesn't that mean the women should be the worried ones here? After all, they're the ones who'll have to give up their culture and all in the name of marriage. In other words, they'll be teaching their children another man's culture.. passing down another's culture while killing theirs. Damn!
Anyway, male or female.. everyone within Nigeria should stick to their tribe when it comes to marriage. If you're not marrying from your tribe, then get married to a non-Nigerian. Too much intertribal hate in that country. In my opinion, it's foolishness to get yourself entwined in that all in the name of some senseless "marrying for love" cliche.

1 Like

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by butanep(m): 6:24pm On Apr 29, 2016
I love the below questions. They re what needed to be answered before engaging her to the altar. If the above is satisfied, then you love the woman.
BeeBeeOoh:
This question should be:

1. Am i pleased with that woman?

2. Am i comfortable with her?

3. Does she give me cause to take her down the aisle?

4. Do I have future with this woman?

5. Does she posses the potentials I needed in a woman?

After asking yourselves these series of questions & you find no reason to do away with her, Bros abeg no let that woman pass you by. We are talking about peace of mind here not tribe, we are talking about life imprisonment(marriage) here not tribe. I don't mind marrying from any part of the country if i ask myself questions above.
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by kaima1984(f): 6:29pm On Apr 29, 2016
garfield16:

Only Ibos ask these kinds of questions
ibos u are correct but IGBOS u are wrong bc am 1 and i married Rivers man,believe u me dude my brownie sugar rocks
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 6:37pm On Apr 29, 2016
Because that's what prevailed in their time
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by byvan03: 6:49pm On Apr 29, 2016
With the way this country is going I did rather stick to my tribe or go outside the country completely.
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by juman(m): 7:00pm On Apr 29, 2016
It is not so good marrying from another tribe in this kind of fraud of a country.
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Codes151(m): 7:26pm On Apr 29, 2016
Blackberrybabes:

I travelled home to see my parents over the weekend and I must say it was nice seeing them after close to 2 months. I saw them last on Jan 1st after the New Year’s celebration. I am just this kind of guy that loves staying far from my childhood area. I believe you are much more appreciated if people see less of you.
Even in my University days, I might go home for just once in a year and anytime I go home, I am always hailed like a king on the street. I love this so much, makes me feel like the King of the Street.

Dad and mum were so delighted to see me and trust our mums, she saw with her x-ray eyes that I was getting so lean, when I have always thought I am living large and changing to the man with the big stature I always dreamt of becoming. Dad also confirmed this and trust African parents, they began to prescribe all sorts of drugs from Vitamin supplements to blood tonic, to Epo Eja which is Cod Liver oil and so on. I told them I would get all that.

After a moment, my mum left us and went to see her friend in the next building. Then the man-to-man talk between me and my dad started. You know dads now. They are more concerned about your goals and achievements. He began by asking how work is faring and my plans for the New year.
He talked about advancing my studies to the Phd level. That this would give me an edge over my colleagues and even my superiors. I didn’t bother to mention to him that I was not going further beyond this Masters degree that I posses.

Then he popped the question. “How is your girlfriend doing?” I initially pretended as if I didn’t hear that and he repeated himself. I made him understand I have non that I have been so much busy with work and plans to move my career to the next level.
Then he asked the master question. “From which tribe will you like to marry from?” I told him I can marry from any tribe as long she is human.

He said no, that some tribes are better left alone due to their culture and so on, blah blah blah. I tried to orientate him that we are all one. That one cannot judge the attitude or behavior of an individual from the general perception of her tribe. He tried to prove his point. I didn’t bother to argue with him, because if I did, the conversation would last for hours which I was not ready to engage in.

But why are our parents always particular about tribes when we are all one Nigeria. There was this time this Tanzanian lady came to our office and it wasn’t until when she mentioned that she was from that country before we realized she wasn’t a Nigerian. She looked so much like a Nigerian. This is just to tell that we are all one and we should not be judged by our tribes, but by the contents of our hearts, individually.

....Diary of a Jobless Nigerian Youth

http://www.blackberrybabes.com/2016/04/should-i-marry-woman-who-is-not-from-my.html. Didn hv time to read this rubbish! Get exposed dear! The trend is a waste of mb

Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by AprokoTV(m): 8:07pm On Apr 29, 2016
It's not advisable to marry a woman not from your tribe. It's better off marrying a woman from another country
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 29, 2016
Sylvester70:
i go talk for my own side it like its passed down to generations eg igbo man&igbo woman=85%,to yoruba woman=13%,to hausa woman=2% and so it is for other tribe.people tend to marry cos of culture and tradition therefore puts their tribe first
igbo men to yoruba women 13%? keep lying 2 ur self
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 29, 2016
AfroKnight:
When you marry a woman you marry her family and her culture. Some cultures don't mix well because of decades of stereotypes. I was once like you, believing that it's me and my wife alone but really, marriage joins families as well. Be sure before you say "I do".
TRUTH
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 8:47pm On Apr 29, 2016
ifecorepublic:
Read Numbers Chapter 36
Lol,i was waiting 4 sm1 to bring this up
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Dainikel(m): 9:17pm On Apr 29, 2016
HateU2:
[/b] THE OP'S PROFILE SAYS SHE'S A F AND HE/SHE PRESENT HIMSELF/HERSELF AS A M[b] Na only me notice that

You not the only one, kinda confusing!
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Dainikel(m): 9:39pm On Apr 29, 2016
There's absolutely nothing wrong with inter-tribal marriages as long as compatibility, total understanding is utmost!
My parents has never given me reasons to doubt its possibility tho I've also seen some failed inter-tribal marriages which simply boils down to how compatible the couples are.
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Sylvester70(m): 6:13pm On Apr 30, 2016
tooco:
igbo men to yoruba women 13%? keep lying 2 ur self
remember i said for my own side s/e not for igbo leaving in lagos and other places
Re: Should I Marry A Woman Who Is Not From My Tribe? - Diary Of A Jobless Nigerian by Nobody: 6:14pm On Apr 30, 2016
Sylvester70:

remember i said for my own side s/e not for igbo leaving in lagos and other places
Seems u enjoy lying to urself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Has Anyone Experienced This From Ponography Before? / Do Rich Guys Ever Get Dumped? / I Opened My Daughter’s Room Without Knocking, And I Saw The Most Heartbreaking T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.