Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,567 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer (23599 Views)

Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Google: Why We Honoured Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by ritahot(f): 6:21am On May 05, 2016
They are both igbos, they are the best unlike one mofo from the waste!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by signz: 6:22am On May 05, 2016
Guys don vex be that. cheesy
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by asha90: 6:22am On May 05, 2016
The two Anambra born literary giants are spontaneous while Achebe is the father of the modern African literary giant but now that he is late, Chimamanda being the only standing giant writer in Africa has rightly stepped in his shoes as the mother of the modern African literature.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 6:22am On May 05, 2016
You are comparing the inventor of african literature with a photocopy machine

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by BobUg28(m): 6:23am On May 05, 2016
There's no comparison between Chinua Achebe and Chimamanda. Even she herself will bow for Achebe if you ask her this samw question.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 6:25am On May 05, 2016
just like comparing fela and wizkid.....seriously?

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by AyeeIdris(f): 6:26am On May 05, 2016
U want to compare the writer of the best book "things fall apart" to "Americana". Negros respect yourself! Lol

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by kunyeo(m): 6:26am On May 05, 2016
Nairaland and your unwholesome habit of subjecting everything, even as sacrosanct as literature to pedestrian mouth- bashing. You assess every work by its standard .A writer is disinct from his work.Those making the comments,have they read the two books?

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 6:27am On May 05, 2016
Awolowo and Fayose who is greater??

Op am asking you..

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by oglalasioux(m): 6:29am On May 05, 2016
This is a very silly thread. How can you compare writers without parameters? Are you asking in terms of genre or style or theme?

Chimamanda is a prolific writer of our contemporary times. In terms of the society Chinua Achebe wrote for, he was unmatched. His books cut across genres that tried to give meaning to a society that was caught in the shock of the battle between their way of life and white colonialism.

Making a comparison, therefore, between these two writers that wrote for different times is nothing but silly.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by aperture11: 6:29am On May 05, 2016
In as much as people are entitled to their opinion, no true literature student will make this comparison. Both should be respected for their works.

The OP is pretty young I believe, so relates more to Chimamanda's work but Chinua Achebe is one of the founding fathers of African Literature. That about ends the discussion.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joshuaidibia(m): 6:29am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:
I have read both Chimamanda Adichies books and Chinua Achebe's books.I must say Chimamanda is a more prolific n wordy writer than Chinua...
Read Achebe's again. Compare him with Elechi Amadi,Wole Soyinka. A professor in an American Uni had to bring in palm wine and maize just to explain more about THINGS FALL APART while lecturing. Now,that is a true writer. Research how many languages THINGS FALL APART has been written in. Well Amanda won stuffs more than him. But that doesn't mean that MIKEL OBI is better than FABREGAS.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by dammytosh: 6:32am On May 05, 2016
na wa ooo

What kind of comparison is this?

What did you smoke to compare Chinua Achebe and Chimamanda
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joshuaidibia(m): 6:32am On May 05, 2016
anitapreeti:
please delete this thread!! this is an insult to a Legend.

Chinua Achebe inspired Chimamanda and she built her work on his, so don't compare them. this is like comparing a child to his father.
No mind the OP. This early mormor. Its like comparing OP and the guy lashing his his ex now.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by sirlop(m): 6:33am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:
I have read both Chimamanda Adichies books and Chinua Achebe's books.I must say Chimamanda is a more prolific n wordy writer than Chinua...
U haven't read Things apart. It was translated in over 60 different languages. It portrayed genuine African tradition. I have read Chimamanda's books....Very good Author, but I give it to The Legendary Achebe.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joshuaidibia(m): 6:35am On May 05, 2016
Tinu02:

Thank you. Very shallow comparison. To me chimamanda is good like every other write but nne no dey compare warri wolves to barcelona.
If you have read books by Sidney sheldon and dan brown you won't open this thread in the first place.
God bless you for mentioning that name, 'DAN BROWN'. Bless u. Bless u my child.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 6:36am On May 05, 2016
OP na wah for you o!
Abeg now how this kind comparison take fly into ya head self?
I mean what you are thinking that got you to try comparing Sir Alex Ferguson with Louis Van Gaal?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 6:37am On May 05, 2016
Tinu02:

Thank you. Very shallow comparison. To me chimamanda is good like every other write but nne no dey compare warri wolves to barcelona.
If you have read books by Sidney sheldon and dan brown you won't open this thread in the first place.
What is this?How did you come by your Barcelona/Warri Wolves analogy? I have read every book written by Sidney Sheldon and Dan Brown and I tell you that Chimamanda is way closer to these guys than Achebe.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 6:38am On May 05, 2016
This is an insult to achebe

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by chumakk: 6:38am On May 05, 2016
Which kind of insult is this? Things fall apart is among top book recommended in the top university in the world.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joshuaidibia(m): 6:39am On May 05, 2016
lazywriter:

But children do surpass their father.
So you big pass ur father? I hail you sir.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Pedrogold(m): 6:39am On May 05, 2016
Chinua Achebe is a legend no doubt, he created the platform for chimamanda with his writings. Ngo is more of a modern writer, her writings are mostly short.I don't think You can compare two different people of different generations. It's like comparing Messi to Maradona

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 6:39am On May 05, 2016
Akshow:
Not to rubbish Achebe's achievement in the literary world. He is a pioneer and a master of the craft of story telling but Chimamanda is a far better writer.

Majority of those shouting Achebe most probably are just hero worshipping and have never read a single book of Chimamanda. Achebe is a good story teller while Chimamanda is a better literary artist.
So true.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Naijapikin1: 6:42am On May 05, 2016
Op lemme ask u dis question... 'Chewing stick' and 'fried meat' which one is sweeter?
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 6:42am On May 05, 2016
ritahot:
They are both igbos, they are the best unlike one mofo from the waste!
bitch , why you so bitter ?

7 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joshuaidibia(m): 6:43am On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
What is this?How did you come by your Barcelona/Warri Wolves analogy? I have read every book written by Sidney Sheldon and Dan Brown and I tell you that Chimamanda is way closer to these guys than Achebe.
Guy keep quiet there. Which Dan Brown. Who is Amanda? Is it my Dan Brown that wrote Davinci Code which was banned in some countries? Is it my Dan of Digital fotress,Angels and Demons,Lost Symbol,or almighty DANTE INFERNO. Guy nawa 4u sha. "So dark the con of man". You learn stuffs by reading Dan's novel. I mean realistic historical stuffs. Guy. Use ur head o

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by IkennaNweke(m): 6:46am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:

You have not read any book by Achebe. He is the greatest writer Africa has ever produced!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by babyfaceafrica: 6:46am On May 05, 2016
Please what is this? comparing ant to an elephant...be careful ,achebe is centuries ahead of chiamanda!!!!...am really disaapointed in You OP

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 6:48am On May 05, 2016
joshuaidibia:
Guy keep quiet there. Which Dan Brown. Who is Amanda? Is it my Dan Brown that wrote Davinci Code which was banned in some countries? Is it my Dan of Digital fotress,Angels and Demons,Lost Symbol,or almighty DANTE INFERNO. Guy nawa 4u sha. "So dark the con of man". You learn stuffs by reading Dan's novel. I mean realistic historical stuffs. Guy. Use ur head o
Do you comprehension issues? Please read my post again. S-L-O-W-L-Y
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by lazywriter: 6:51am On May 05, 2016
joshuaidibia:
So you big pass ur father? I hail you sir.

Don't miss quote me.

But is it not every parent's dream that their children are more successful than they are?

It is my own dream to do better and greater things than my parents, I also hope and pray that my children will surpass me, as will the children they will bear.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by spencekat(m): 6:51am On May 05, 2016
You cannot compare Achebe with Chimamanda.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joshuaidibia(m): 6:52am On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Do you comprehension issues? Please read my post again. S-L-O-W-L-Y
no need. U said Amanda is 'closer' to Dan Brown,yes? That's were u got it all wrong. Erase that word 'close'. Do you know the amount of research that is been done when he writes his book? I mean,take a look at his acknowledgments. Am typing this now with a copy of Dante Inferno on my lap

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Blue ( Short Story) / The Sex Story / Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.