Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,466 members, 7,954,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:19 AM

Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer (24194 Views)

Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Google: Why We Honoured Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by sparog(m): 6:53am On May 05, 2016
kissAdichie is better cos she built on the works of Achebe, she rode on the shoulder of Achebe the grand storyteller himself, he inspired her so don't ever compare the two of them, achebe is simply the best undecided

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by TITOBIGZ(m): 6:53am On May 05, 2016
kelechi50:
Please how do you compare original copy with a photo copy for Christ sake, am not saying she's not good but
100 cartons of ORIJIN for u.(Mortuary Standard)gringrin
Well said.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Welly12: 6:54am On May 05, 2016
It's obvious the op has read more of Adichie's books. This would not come up in the head of someone vast in both Authors books.. This is insulting!
#teamremovethreadnow

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by nayookafor(m): 6:54am On May 05, 2016
This is a very DUMB question OP! Pick up a THINGS FALL APART, then pick up HALF OF A YELLLOW SUN, the answer lies in the universal and aesthetic appeal! Just like someone rightly said, it's just like comparing Warri Wolves to FC Barcelona...Achebe blazed the trail for African writers Adichie inclusive!

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by deeengr(m): 6:55am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:
I have read both Chimamanda Adichies books and Chinua Achebe's books.I must say Chimamanda is a more prolific n wordy writer than Chinua...
I don't want to bust your bubbles but Nigeria will NEVER have another writer that is even close to Chinua Achebe, he is a god.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joshuaidibia(m): 6:56am On May 05, 2016
lazywriter:

Don't miss quote me.

But is it not every parent's dream that their children are more successful than they are?

It is my own dream to do better and greater things than my parents, I also hope and pray that my children will surpass me, as will the children they will bear.
Don't misquote me. You're talking about material things,wealth,yes? If that is the case,AMANDA won stuffs more than him. But bros,their are things more important than that.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 6:57am On May 05, 2016
anitapreeti:
please delete this thread!! this is an insult to a Legend.

Chinua Achebe inspired Chimamanda and she built her work on his, so don't compare them. this is like comparing a child to his father.
A child could grow better than the father. Which she did which counts for her achievements which is greater than her father in writting.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Orikinla(m): 6:59am On May 05, 2016
No basis for comparison.
Chimamanda is only a good novelist and not yet great.
Her novels cannot even match the first three novels of the great Chinua Achebe when he was still under 30.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by fortunechy(m): 7:03am On May 05, 2016
wt insult.the poster must be high in cheap drugs.hw can u compare a proffessor n a student dont u kw dt Achebe inspired chimamanda....plz,delete diz rubbish!!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Gordieshegz(m): 7:05am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:
I have read both Chimamanda Adichies books and Chinua Achebe's books.I must say Chimamanda is a more prolific n wordy writer than Chinua...

if a child has clothes reach an adult,she cant have rags pass him..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by lazywriter: 7:07am On May 05, 2016
joshuaidibia:
Don't misquote me. You're talking about material things,wealth,yes? If that is the case,AMANDA won stuffs more than him. But bros,their are things more important than that.

No one mentioned money here.

Achebe is obviously a better writer, but Adichie is still growing and will only be a matter of time before she surpasses him. When she does people will still disagree that Adichie is a better writer because LEGENDS ARE FOREVER.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by kceewhyte(m): 7:07am On May 05, 2016
Akshow:
Not to rubbish Achebe's achievement in the literary world. He is a pioneer and a master of the craft of story telling but Chimamanda is a far better writer.

Majority of those shouting Achebe most probably are just hero worshipping and have never read a single book of Chimamanda. Achebe is a good story teller while Chimamanda is a better literary artist.
you are high on oshogbo weed this morning
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Jeus(m): 7:08am On May 05, 2016
anitapreeti:
please delete this thread!! this is an insult to a Legend.

Chinua Achebe inspired Chimamanda and she built her work on his, so don't compare them. this is like comparing a child to his father.
A child is supposed to surpass his father
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by jaywhoco(m): 7:08am On May 05, 2016
Adichie promises us more, achebe can do no more. Time is an amazing thing and the babe has it for 'now'. However they will both live forever.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by geez18(m): 7:09am On May 05, 2016
i've read some of their works.it's difficult making comparisons when it comes to something like writing.Adichie's writings are really good.her bestsellers are internationally reknowned and methinks she is much respected because her writings have come in a time when there's been a dearth of good writers so the literati has been very much receptive and welcoming of her works. on the other hand,Achebe's works are pioneering masterpieces that came at a time when Africa needed Africans to chart their own course,both in literature and in politics.Achebe will always be remembered as one of the men who portrayed Africa to the world from an African perspective.the comparison of both writers is an injustice to African literature seeing that one writer was a pioneer member of the African literature while the other,a renaissance leader.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by omobaekiti: 7:09am On May 05, 2016
Achebe is not better....heck he is the best of the two.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by fippycbk(m): 7:09am On May 05, 2016
joshuaidibia:
Guy keep quiet there. Which Dan Brown. Who is Amanda? Is it my Dan Brown that wrote Davinci Code which was banned in some countries? Is it my Dan of Digital fotress,Angels and Demons,Lost Symbol,or almighty DANTE INFERNO. Guy nawa 4u sha. "So dark the con of man". You learn stuffs by reading Dan's novel. I mean realistic historical stuffs. Guy. Use ur head o

Digital Fortress remains my best. You forgot Deception Point.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Welly12: 7:09am On May 05, 2016
Akshow:
Not to rubbish Achebe's achievement in the literary world. He is a pioneer and a master of the craft of story telling but Chimamanda is a far better writer.

Majority of those shouting Achebe most probably are just hero worshipping and have never read a single book of Chimamanda. Achebe is a good story teller while Chimamanda is a better literary artist.

You know less than this man!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by StarMogul(m): 7:10am On May 05, 2016
kinziking:
How can u compare lagos okpa with enugu opka
grin...dis guy sef.......hahahahaha ha aha...*falls from the coconut tree*
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by lazywriter: 7:11am On May 05, 2016
fruqsy:

A child could grow better than the father. Which she did, which counts for her achievements which is greater than that of her father in writing.

My points exactly. But people won't agree to this because just like diamonds, legends are forever great in our eyes.

cc joshuaidibia
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 7:12am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:

Prolific and wordy do not make a good writer!!! Your parameters have damaged this thread already!!!

Adichie produces voluminous works but she can't be said to be prolific yet!!! She has only published 3 novels and a collection of short stories!!! What is prolific about that. If you want prolific writers from Nigeria, check up on Wole Soyinka, Cyprian Ekwensi and Bayo Adebowale!!!

Moreover, saying Adichie is more prolific than Achebe is wrong!!! In a space of less than 8 years, Achebe published four great novels!!! How many has Adichie published since she has been writing Just three!!! She is good but not prolific yet!!! And yes, she is winning awards!!! But it is an insult to compare her with Achebe!!! Even if she wins the Nobel Prize one day, opening threads like this would be with discretion!!!

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Gordieshegz(m): 7:13am On May 05, 2016
better this way
ACHEBE laid the foundation
ADICHIE sets bricks on it. .
by the way,that Achebe didnt win a nobel prize didnt mean he was anywhere less than wole soyinka...can you compare Adichie with wole?
last I checked,Adichie hasnt won nobel prize!

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Akshow: 7:13am On May 05, 2016
Welly12:

You know less than this man!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by chikel2000(m): 7:16am On May 05, 2016
Akshow:

To u only not to the world; go ask about THINGS FALL APART
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by laprince(m): 7:16am On May 05, 2016
sirklin:
Comparing the both is like an insult to Achebe. The question is, what has Adichie written to give her a seat close to Achebe. She is good, no doubt about it, but in the world of literature Achebe is a god. His works have been studied by many. THINGS FALL APART was written in a countless number of languages. What a feat to achieve!

And to add, Achebe wrote THINGS FALL APART at 24.

its sad waking up to meet this kind of comparison.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Badgers14: 7:16am On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:

Both were awesome in their own era... We can't really compare them side by sides because the writing style and stuffs was based on the era they were writing...

Achebe was active in the 70's and 80's and Offcourse people that were around those times will definitely appreciate his works better and understand his references.. While youngsters might find his writing very boring because they can't relate that well with his writing style..

On the other hand, old timers "might" call Adichie an amateur in terms of styles while youngsters will relate perfectly well because they grew up in this era...

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by homesteady(m): 7:18am On May 05, 2016
Sorry, I would pick Chimamanda! I've never really understood the hype behind that Things fall apart, perhaps I should read it again!

I've never been so influenced by anybody like how Chimamanda has influenced me, it's like she used juju on me!
1 - I'm now a fan of natural hair, really big fan.
2 - I take election victories so personal
3 - and many more!

Up till today, whenever I remember Half of a yellow sun, I feel so sad and I still keep hoping that Kainene would be found!

I love Her please!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by kingdenny(m): 7:19am On May 05, 2016
Some people sef, this is like what happened couple of weeks ago, comparing wizkid to fela angry
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Akshow: 7:20am On May 05, 2016
chikel2000:
To u only not to the world; go ask about THINGS FALL APART
I wrote several seminar papers on things fall apart young man. Tell me how many Chimamanda's book have you read?
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by missuniverse(f): 7:20am On May 05, 2016
To start with, comparisons dwell on 'all things considered'

you don't compare 'Mandators' of the 20th century to 'Psquare' of 21st century

Adichie once stated that Achebe is her role model

Chimamanda is good within her context
Chinua Achebe is also good within his context

some comparisons ain't necessary
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 7:20am On May 05, 2016
joshuaidibia:
no need. U said Amanda is 'closer' to Dan Brown,yes? That's were u got it all wrong. Erase that word 'close'. Do you know the amount of research that is been done when he writes his book? I mean,take a look at his acknowledgments. Am typing this now with a copy of Dante Inferno on my lap
You really should read my post again.I said 'CLOSER to Brown than Achebe'.Adichie also does a lot of research before writing (See Half of a Yellow Sun).And by the way,Brown wrote 'Inferno' and not 'Dante's Inferno'.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Owobobrown(m): 7:21am On May 05, 2016
Chike and the River

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Marital Shambles - The Crumbs Of A Happy Home / The Coffin Of Errors (Short Story) / Single Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.