Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,783 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer (23593 Views)

Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Google: Why We Honoured Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Jalapa01(m): 2:11pm On May 05, 2016
oga...what you should have said is which do you prefer? Chimamanda or Chinua Achebe. that would have made more sense. The fact that i prefer Chimamanda doesn't make her a better writer than Chinua Achebe
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by JacksonD7: 2:17pm On May 05, 2016
Both of them are good and have their unique styles and they are both legends at their respective games. Who's superior? ...None.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 05, 2016
Achebe is an institution of literature. He can only be compared with Soyinka but others should not be mentioned in the same sentence as them.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by ostirich(m): 2:41pm On May 05, 2016
please don't say that again. Amanda is a great writer but not yet a legend please.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 2:55pm On May 05, 2016
hifaif1:

Why are you rushing the words out like someone took your biscuits? I can almost hear your shaky voice!!!

Calm down!!!

Now, listen attentively , saying someone's effort/attempt is lazy doesn't equate with saying someone is lazy!!! And the word "lazy" is relative!!! So, I only pointed out a lazy attempt, not a lazy person!!!

Scientific and historic inaccuracies and ambiguous and weak sentences in Dan Brown's works are open secrets!!! And there are a lot of them enough to fill a page!!! The best education you can get is the one you help yourself with (That quote belongs to me!!!) . So, my friend, instead of nagging, help yourself while you can!!!

Coming here to run up and down like a headless chicken (this is not an insult, just a factual comparison) is not the way to help yourself to anything!!! It is not an insult to mention someone's poor literary appreciation skills!!! Abi, na everybody sabi Literature Na every literature student fit appreciate book ni Abeg, your need anger management classes and thank God for you, I am a psychologist!!! No need for your Muhammad to go to the mountain!!! Just humble yourself and you might get free therapy!!!

So much words.Yet NOTHING said.You just heard/read those words somewhere on the internet and like the bandwagoner that you are(this is not an insult) adopted it and placed it on your head like a carton of biscuits.You might be wondering why I am pushing this Dan Brown issue.It is because it is not the first time I am hearing anti-Brown commentators say this, and this is simply because of their religious sensibilities.So I ask you again, what are these scientific and historical 'inaccuracies' as they appear to be 'open secrets' which some of us are not privy to.I am also still waiting for the meaning of 'wacky English'.I humbly ask to be enlightened by your free therapy.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Tinu02(f): 3:08pm On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
What is this?How did you come by your Barcelona/Warri Wolves analogy? I have read every book written by Sidney Sheldon and Dan Brown and I tell you that Chimamanda is way closer to these guys than Achebe.
You can say that again. She is no way closer to any of those two. Have you read any of chimamanda's books ?. Do you even understand their style of writing.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 3:57pm On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
So much words.Yet NOTHING said.You just heard/read those words somewhere on the internet and like the bandwagoner that you are(this is not an insult) adopted it and placed it on your head like a carton of biscuits.You might be wondering why I am pushing this Dan Brown issue.It is because it is not the first time I am hearing anti-Brown commentators say this, and this is simply because of their religious sensibilities.So I ask you again, what are these scientific and historical 'inaccuracies' as they appear to be 'open secrets' which some of us are not privy to.I am also still waiting for the meaning of 'wacky English'.I humbly ask to be enlightened by your free therapy.

Hahaha, pathetic how you jump into conclusions!!! I thought we were talking about the characteristics of good prose and that Dan Brown was merely one of my examples!!! Listen, there is an argument and it is not about Dan Brown!!!

I am no Dan Brown enemy!!! I brought him into the equation to pass a point that size and prolificacy is not what comes in to determine the strength of authors against one another!!!

If you want me to prove anything concerning Dan Brown, open a thread for that!!! No wonder you were whinnying!!! You asked for parameters, Dan Brown comes into my reply as an example and you got so sentimental that you forgot we were talking about Adichie and Achebe and good prose!!!

In plainer terms, it is either you open a thread for Dan Brown or you go read up on him!!!

Or weren't it you who asked me for parameters for determining the strength of a writer!!! You left the answers and picked on an example!!! When I told you to calm down, I never knew it was this pathetic!!!

This was where you left the original argument and armed yourself with the cry: "Show us the inconsistencies"

Ranchhoddas:
Very vague statements.I guess judgement of the quality of a novel is a matter of opinion.Could you please point out some of these scientific and historical 'inaccuracies' you speak of.

When people behave like this, you know they have nothing else to offer!!!

We are talking literature, you come in talking Dan Brown, forgetting how he came into the argument!!! What serious school or examination board will even recommend his books!!!

The fact is your literary appreciation is wacky (strange)!!!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by bodi01(m): 4:04pm On May 05, 2016
Buhari of old and Buhari of now what is the diffrence? See ur head. grin
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 05, 2016
cornel994:
legend na legend... achebe is a legend

Abi o, see the insult sef.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by spacefreak: 4:22pm On May 05, 2016
MoNickk:
i tell u or anthills of the savannah....adichie writes like a modern woman trying to balance modernization with cultures n beliefs. Achebe wrote like a man in tune with his culture.

I agree with your views completely. I like Amanda's works though but she needs to understand that she doesnt have to be seen as feminist to sell books.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 05, 2016
ritahot:
They are both igbos, they are the best unlike one mofo from the waste!

Yet that mofo is the only Nobel Laureate this country has produced.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 05, 2016
queenesthr:
This comparison should NEVER happen. Achebe is a grand master. Adichie can never come anywhere within his range!
Hell me tell the OP oh. I think he is high on something.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 4:49pm On May 05, 2016
hifaif1:

Hahaha, pathetic how you jump into conclusions!!! I thought we were talking about the characteristics of good prose and that Dan Brown was merely one of my examples!!! Listen, there is an argument and it is not about Dan Brown!!!

I am no Dan Brown enemy!!! I brought him into the equation to pass a point that size and prolificacy is not what comes in to determine the strength of authors against one another!!!

If you want me to prove anything concerning Dan Brown, open a thread for that!!! No wonder you were whinnying!!! You asked for parameters, Dan Brown comes into my reply as an example and you got so sentimental that you forgot we were talking about Adichie and Achebe and good prose!!!

In plainer terms, it is either you open a thread for Dan Brown or you go read up on him!!!

Or weren't it you who asked me for parameters for determining the strength of a writer!!! You left the answers and picked on an example!!! When I told you to calm down, I never knew it was this pathetic!!!

This was where you left the original argument and armed yourself with the cry: "Show us the inconsistencies"

When people behave like this, you know they have nothing else to offer!!!

We are talking literature, you come in talking Dan Brown, forgetting how he came into the argument!!! What serious school or examination board will even recommend his books!!!

The fact is your literary appreciation is wacky (strange)!!!
Gosh man.I give up!!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 05, 2016
Tinu02:

Thank you. Very shallow comparison. To me chimamanda is good like every other write but nne no dey compare warri wolves to barcelona.
If you have read books by Sidney sheldon and dan brown you won't open this thread in the first place.

who do you think is better between dan brown and sheldon.

i prefer sheldon

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by anitapreeti(f): 5:13pm On May 05, 2016
lazywriter:

But children do surpass their father.
u really amaze me! Now sit down and learn a lesson. When a child becomes great, you compare him to his mates not his father.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by ritahot(f): 5:57pm On May 05, 2016
neoapocalypse:

Yet that mofo is the only Nobel Laureate this country has produced.

Noble laureate my foot!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 6:06pm On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Gosh man.I give up!!
grin
Bless you!!!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by litetias(m): 6:08pm On May 05, 2016
Nihilist:
Proverbs are the palm oil with which words are eaten- Chinua Achebe.

Things fall apart and No longer at ease are quite possibly the best novels to come out of Nigeria imo.

Reading Those books felt like going back in time, and interacting with characters so real, I could visualise them in my head...

And all those proverbs...

Those old books eh?

They were something else

Writers like Buchi Emecheta, Cyprian Ekwensi etc
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by curvydiva(f): 6:54pm On May 05, 2016
chii8:
Hian....which kin question be dis nah?do u mean chimamada vs tiffj or prettyspicy or flakkydgal or audreytimms.....abegi

ds thread need to be shut down,wat an insult,its lk comparing a child wt her granddad
Jesus! Haba! Chimamanda and Tiffany J? Not to rubbish anybody's work, but putting Tiffany J and Flakkydagal close to Chimamanda is like comparing sleep with death. Truth is bitter, they say.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Tinu02(f): 7:53pm On May 05, 2016
Largas:

i prefer sheldon
Sheldon. I'm nt trying to compare both of them,just comparing their style of writing to chimamanda's own.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Tinu02(f): 8:45pm On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:
Kennedy you are right.I love Achebe's books so much.Based on contemporary works,Achebe's style of writing might not captured the vogue...Adichie's books are lengthier and cuts across a cross section of both Nigerians at home n in diaspora
Wow! I can get where u got all ur deduction from. You've read americana ryt
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by cupidhero(m): 10:53pm On May 05, 2016
smh.
The right question should have been "between Cyprian Ekwensi and Chinua Achebe who was a better writer?". This topic is clearly a mumulectual's dream joust.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Toroze(m): 10:14pm On May 06, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
You be goat.Go and check the guy's post that I responded to.Oloshi.
grin grin I quoted the wrong person who later corrected himself Sowi Bruv...but you ain't got chill sha..... grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Onyekasuperkid(m): 11:43pm On May 06, 2016
A legend remains a lengend,Dr. ACHEBE WAS A SWORDSMITH,Who wrote with ink dat pierce d souls of our foreign counterparts.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 7:10am On May 07, 2016
Toroze:
grin grin I quoted the wrong person who later corrected himself Sowi Bruv...but you ain't got chill sha..... grin grin
My apologies.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 7:14am On May 07, 2016
Largas:

i prefer sheldon
Don't make me choose.Brown if I must.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by sirlop(m): 10:28am On May 09, 2016
ebig21:
I have read purple hibiscus and half of a yellow sun,but both of them combined cannot attain the cult status of things fall apart, the most sold African novel, 8 million copies, translated in many languages, taught in many outstanding University, ache be won many accolade, go to Wikipedia for reference, please op don't spoil my mood. do you think that that chimamanda novel can make curriculum of the world best school, chinua achebe is the father of African literature, he can only be compared to ngugi wat iongo, Soyinka and his age counterparts, not some one of a computer age, please don't spoil my mood op, just like Shakespeare is unmatched in English literature, that's how chinua achebe is to African literature, he taught English to the English, it's just like an hausa, man teaching you, your language, even though he didn't grew up in your place
She is a great writter also. Her book "Americana" was considered as one of the 13 best books of 2013.Both are very talented.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ndipe(m): 2:22am On Apr 20, 2018
Even Adichie has mentioned quite a number of times that Achebe is her favorite writer.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Blue ( Short Story) / The Sex Story / Orin Orile Ede Naijiria Ni Ede Yoruba Ati Ni Geesi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.