Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,565 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer (23631 Views)

Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / 14 Quotes From 'Things Fall Apart' By Chinua Achebe / Google: Why We Honoured Chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Juliusdauda70(m): 10:50am On May 05, 2016
Manual na manual n Automatic na Automatic this's Computer Era
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 10:52am On May 05, 2016
engrchykae:
The right comparison would be chimamanda vs Wole Soyinka

Don't do this, please!!! It is not worth it!!!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by playtheblues(f): 10:52am On May 05, 2016
God I thank you so much.

Chinua Achebe and Chimamanda are both Igbos.

hifaif1:

Stop being tribalistic!!!

You forget that Africa's first Nobel laureate in literature is a Yoruba man from Ogun state!!! And a fine and prolific writer too!!! And that fine writers like Zaynab Alkali and Abubakar Gimba are from the North!!!

So, it is not about the tribe but the gift and sacrifice and sweat of the individual!!!

When Wole Soyinka rose to collect his Nobel prize medal in 1986, the givers of the coveted prize never saw a Yoruba man but a proud Nigerian in his native clothes!!!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by MoNickk(f): 10:58am On May 05, 2016
OnlyMotors:
Adichie is intelligent, but there is no comparison at all. Achebe is the grand master. Those talking about contemporary writing probably never read no longer at ease. I don't even see Adichie Is not a creative writer..
i tell u or anthills of the savannah....adichie writes like a modern woman trying to balance modernization with cultures n beliefs. Achebe wrote like a man in tune with his culture.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by kraftykc(m): 11:01am On May 05, 2016
UjSizzle:
Sure Achebe is the legend and Adichie learnt from him, but I love her voice better than I ever did Achebe's.
Her stories are relatable and there's a tone of familiarity to her works.

Hmm. Well your lack of familiarity to "Macbeth" and "Othello" doesn't stop either from being some of the best tragedies the world ever saw.

Achebe reached for heaven and pulled it down to Africa with one hand, and his style is still almost impossible to replicate today because of its contrast of simplicity and depth in simultaneous motion. It is like trying mimic Jonathan Swift in satire; it's possible but it will almost never be as original.

Adichie's topics are too narrow, unoriginal and weathered. I am yet to see her breaking ground on theme, setting or style so please don't bring that hype about her literary prowess.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Spiffyaidee(f): 11:19am On May 05, 2016
chinua Achebe is a legend and should never be compared to chimanda
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by engrchykae(m): 11:38am On May 05, 2016
hifaif1:

Don't do this, please!!! It is not worth it!!!
but its good to compare her with her grand dad.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by divinedike(m): 11:43am On May 05, 2016
Both are good
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hyperflex(m): 11:47am On May 05, 2016
That's how somebody said Wizkid shut down Eko Hotel but Fela did not!?! The person shld have tried comparing her to Wole Soyinka now. Shey cuz Chinua Achebe no collect Nobel Prize. See this comparison is annoying. Even Chimamanda sought Chinua Achebe's thoughts on her book. Is it because she writes from overseas?? Chinua Achebe is too much sef. So many other writers. Please don't let Nigerians in diaspora let u think the ones @ home don't have brain. Chimamanda is good n going great but put full stop there
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by iffydaniells: 11:58am On May 05, 2016
"Seeing him through the lens of Nobel tends to diminish his worth" Challenging the eurocentric portrayal of Africa by Achebe was the inspiration behind his writings not the Nobel Prize" - Soyinka. My emphasis. Individual connections bother extensively on generations and leanings. Adichie laces her stories with subjects like sex,feminism and several other contemporary social issues that catch the fancy of the younger generations. Unlike her,Achebe drives unambiguously to the coreness of his message - debunking several myths and stereotypes about Africa as evidenced in writings like : RACISM in the heart of Comrad's heart of darkness, the education of a British protected child etc. If you agree with me, it was needles for him to romanticise his audience. According to Chinua himself: "the role of the writer is to is to write as he sees,not as the audience see, thus his famous quote : " If u don't like my story, write yours ".Achebe's works has helped many African writers to find their voice in a time When none/few dared....He was simply legendary.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by UjSizzle(f): 12:02pm On May 05, 2016
kraftykc:

Hmm. Well your lack of familiarity to "Macbeth" and "Othello" doesn't stop either from being some of the best tragedies the world ever saw.

Achebe reached for heaven and pulled it down to Africa with one hand, and his style is still almost impossible to replicate today because of its contrast of simplicity and depth in simultaneous motion. It is like trying mimic Jonathan Swift in satire; it's possible but it will almost never be as original.

Adichie's topics are too narrow, unoriginal and weathered. I am yet to see her breaking ground on theme, setting or style so please don't bring that hype about her literary prowess.
I hadn't realised I was untitled to an opinion and personal preference.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 12:07pm On May 05, 2016
engrchykae:
but its good to compare her with her grand dad.

I never supported the original comparison!!!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by kraftykc(m): 12:18pm On May 05, 2016
UjSizzle:

I hadn't realised I was untitled to an opinion and personal preference.

Please don't make this personal, I don't attack your opinion, I just stated my own and mine does not not negate the validity of yours.

This is a debate and I countered your point and proffered what I considered another dimension to the argument. Don't worry, they are just words

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Rossikk(m): 12:22pm On May 05, 2016
SeverusSnape:
Did this OP smoke weed to make this kind of comparison??... ACHEBE is a legend!, Comparing Chimamanda to him is like comparing Desmond Elliot to Leonardo Dicaprio. Haba!
You have inferiority complex. White and Hollywood doesn't necessarily mean 'better'.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 12:28pm On May 05, 2016
hifaif1:

Just agree you were petty!!! The problems with most people is their inability to accept their blunders!!! I call it pride!!! I don't know you but it is not hard to know that you know very little about literary appreciation!!!

Judging a writing is basically based on personal opinions. The opinions that eventually count are the strong ones!!! Go and read up on qualities of a good prose and educate yourself!!! Everyone has an opinion but it has to be strong to count!!!

But to come here and judge the better writer using prolificacy and length of books is just lazy!!!

Now, let us make something clear, if you were to judge a writing contest, how would you go about it?

Would you judge using size and the previous publication history of the author or what?
You bumbling mor0n.Go through my posts and show me where I judged anybody using length of their books or prolificacy as you like to put it.And while you are at it,remember to tell us the scientific and historical 'inaccuracies' you speak of with your abundant knowledge of literary appreciation.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by alpontif(m): 12:30pm On May 05, 2016
Hello,

I have ALL of Chimamanda's Books, and honestly, at the risk of sounding like an hater, there is nothing spectacular about her writing. It can even be boring.

But I commend her Hype machine, the branding, the Image management, the marketing.....The marketing is the reason why people think adichie is an exceptional writer.

If Not so, How can even the shadow of the thought of comparing Baba Professor Achebe to a minion like Adichie cross the OP's mind?

That will be similar to comparing God to godzilla.

Even Adichie will not be vain enough to take such comparison serious. Except she is on something.

She who the gods want to destro, they first turn mad.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Rossikk(m): 12:33pm On May 05, 2016
All these small children of today. Tomorrow someone will post to say Dbanj or Wizkid are better than Fela Kuti. Smh..
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by toprealman: 12:37pm On May 05, 2016
Real Madrid and Leicester, which team is better OP?
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Gwazah(m): 12:44pm On May 05, 2016
Achebe is better than Soyinka' don't even compare him with Chimamanda.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 12:45pm On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
You bumbling mor0n .Go through my posts and show me where I judged anybody using length of their books or prolificacy as you like to put it.And while you are at it,remember to tell us the scientific and historical 'inaccuracies' you speak of with your abundant knowledge of literary appreciation.

Rude name calling is for the empty!!! If you have any substance, you would not betray so much frustration!!!

You jumped into my mention and I unwittingly concluded that I was quoting the OP!!! Sorry for that!!!

Dan Brown's books are filled with inconsistencies!!! If you really wish to learn, help yourself with Google!!! The world has become so easy!!! Dan Brown is a good storyteller but his English is wacky and he doesn't pay much attention to facts!!! Go and check for yourself and come back here to prove me wrong!!!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by soopamom: 12:47pm On May 05, 2016
MoNickk:
i tell u or anthills of the savannah....adichie writes like a modern woman trying to balance modernization with cultures n beliefs. Achebe wrote like a man in tune with his culture.
My sentiments exactly! I was going to put it way more simplistically...Adichie's writing is corrupt. She obviously wants the west to love her writing so she panders to "the western ideology of what Nigeria should be like. Achebe on the other hand....tells his stories beautifully...

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by soopamom: 12:47pm On May 05, 2016
MoNickk:
My sentiments exactly! I was going to put it way more simplistically...Adichie's writing is corrupt. She obviously wants the west to love her writing so she panders to "the western ideology of what Nigeria should be like. Achebe on the other hand....tells his stories beautifully...
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by engrchykae(m): 1:11pm On May 05, 2016
hifaif1:

i thought you did.
You Achebe and Soyinka belongs to the realm of olympians and no one should dare desecrate their holy sanctuary
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by engrchykae(m): 1:11pm On May 05, 2016
hifaif1:

i thought you did.
You know that Achebe and Soyinka belongs to the realm of olympians and no one should dare desecrate their holy sanctuary
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by engrchykae(m): 1:12pm On May 05, 2016
hifaif1:

i thought you did.
You know that Achebe and Soyinka belongs to the realm of olympians and no one should dare desecrate their holy sanctuary.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by joshuaidibia(m): 1:21pm On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I give up.
Lol. Have a nice day sir. Nice debating with u.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Ranchhoddas: 1:31pm On May 05, 2016
hifaif1:

Rude name calling is for the empty!!! If you have any substance, you would not betray so much frustration!!!

You jumped into my mention and I unwittingly concluded that I was quoting the OP!!! Sorry for that!!!

Dan Brown's books are filled with inconsistencies!!! If you really wish to learn, help yourself with Google!!! The world has become so easy!!! Dan Brown is a good storyteller but his English is wacky and he doesn't pay much attention to facts!!! Go and check for yourself and come back here to prove me wrong!!!
Nonsense.You started the name calling.You called me petty,lazy,said I lacked an appreciation of literature and accused me of using length of books to judge writers which I did not.You get a dose of your medicine and you want to start crying? Yeah.Cry me a river.You are the empty one because you make claims that like scientific and historical inaccuracies that you cannot prove and you are saying I should google it.Google is not the substitute for your brain...and what the hell do you mean by wacky English.Is your English any less wacky(whatever that means)? Una go just hear something for somewhere come carry am for head like say na gala.
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by dirk: 1:47pm On May 05, 2016
I hardly judge issues based on sheer unsubstantiated arguments so believe me on this.

I have read almost all books, essays and articles by both authors, but to propose that Chimamanda is a better writer is an abominable debasement of the African literature.

However, that is not to say that Chimamanda is not excellent, and of course, she still has the room to grow. She may eventually die as a better writer than Achebe
ziggymelosky:
I have read both Chimamanda Adichies books and Chinua Achebe's books.I must say Chimamanda is a more prolific n wordy writer than Chinua...
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by calliope(f): 2:00pm On May 05, 2016
Akshow:
Not to rubbish Achebe's achievement in the literary world. He is a pioneer and a master of the craft of story telling but Chimamanda is a far better writer.

Majority of those shouting Achebe most probably are just hero worshipping and have never read a single book of Chimamanda. Achebe is a good story teller while Chimamanda is a better literary artist.
Couldn't agree more, ADICHIE is a creative writer while Achebe is more of a story teller, he said it himself... Story telling was a passion something he got from his mother.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by hifaif1: 2:04pm On May 05, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Nonsense.You started the name calling.You called me petty,lazy,said I lacked an appreciation of literature and accused me of using length of books to judge writers which I did not.You get a dose of your medicine and you want to start crying? Yeah.Cry me a river.You are the empty one because you make claims that like scientific and historical inaccuracies that you cannot prove and you are saying I should google it.Google is not the substitute for your brain...and what the hell do you mean by wacky English.Is your English any less wacky(whatever that means)? Una go just hear something for somewhere come carry am for head like say na gala.

Why are you rushing the words out like someone took your biscuits? I can almost hear your shaky voice!!!

Calm down!!!

Now, listen attentively , saying someone's effort/attempt is lazy doesn't equate with saying someone is lazy!!! And the word "lazy" is relative!!! So, I only pointed out a lazy attempt, not a lazy person!!!

Scientific and historic inaccuracies and ambiguous and weak sentences in Dan Brown's works are open secrets!!! And there are a lot of them enough to fill a page!!! The best education you can get is the one you help yourself with (That quote belongs to me!!!) . So, my friend, instead of nagging, help yourself while you can!!!

Coming here to run up and down like a headless chicken (this is not an insult, just a factual comparison) is not the way to help yourself to anything!!! It is not an insult to mention someone's poor literary appreciation skills!!! Abi, na everybody sabi Literature Na every literature student fit appreciate book ni Abeg, you need anger management classes and thank God for you, I am a psychologist!!! No need for your Muhammad to go to the mountain!!! Just humble yourself and you might get free therapy!!!
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Hilaskee(m): 2:09pm On May 05, 2016
ziggymelosky:
China Achebe's books are original n highly creative but Chimamanda has won more literary awards than Chinua Achebe...

that's because Chinua Achebe declines awards and honours given to him. They are incomparable. Achebe is far better
Re: Chimamanda Vs Chinua Achebe,who Is A Better Writer by Wulfruna(f): 2:10pm On May 05, 2016
Comparing Chimamanda with the legendary Achebe? When did that one start?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nairaland Poetry Club Chatroom. / Novel: JUST A Taste..written By: Onyeneke Abel / A HOLD FROM THE PAST- Women fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.