Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,619 members, 7,816,542 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate (57966 Views)

12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance / 9 Bizzare Sentences That Are Perfectly Accurate / English Sentences That Sound Crazy But Are Actually Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:20pm On May 02, 2016
pweetychyka:
OP, U forgot to add dis popular one ooooo!
Dis applies to almost everyone either wen receiving or making a call 'I am hearing U' instead of 'I can hear u'

OP, U forgot to add dis popular one ooooo!
Dis applies to almost everyone either wen receiving or making a call 'I am hearing U' instead of 'I can hear u'

Sure, you are right grin

Though, not everyone does.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 11:20pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
When people say someone is 'smarting', does it mean they are talking about the skin? You need to be serious.

We are looking at the context in which the word is being used.
Yes. They could be talking about the skin or emotions.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:22pm On May 02, 2016
freecocoa:
Yes. They could be talking about the skin or emotions.
The skin indeed! Someone was scolding another person and you are saying 'skin'
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 02, 2016
Fadekebisola:

u still dont get it thats the problem.....assuming i want to borrow #100 from you,how will i put the question?....the correct way is..'can you lend me #100'?
thats what i mean and insist on....

whats your highest level of education? u seem so daft to learn a new thing

Oh dear! You amaze me. Well, I believe you'll learn the correct thing one day, but I doubt you will remember how you've displayed your ignorance here when you do.

I choose to ignore the insults.

MODIFIED*
Wow!!! what a stunner!! You're Miss... you're right. It's indeed, can you LEND me!

My apologies

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:26pm On May 02, 2016
freecocoa:
Rapmoney, how did you know what the young man who said "you are smarting" was trying to say? Maybe if you tell us what he was trying to say, we would have a better idea.

Smarting is a transitive verb.
Are you going to teach me verbs? Don't make me laugh cheesy
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by biuti(f): 11:26pm On May 02, 2016
Fadekebisola:

u still dont get it thats the problem.....assuming i want to borrow #100 from you,how will i put the question?....the correct way is..'can you lend me #100'?

Yes you're right. I think Ladrang feels, it should be "may I borrow #100 from you?" which is also correct.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by talktonase(m): 11:27pm On May 02, 2016
when the pastor came told him i have went to the shop.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 11:30pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
The skin indeed! Someone was scolding another person and you are saying 'skin'
Maybe if you tried to paint a vivid picture of what it is you mean to say, I will be able to understand why you seem to think that, they couldn't be talking about skin, when they say "smarting"
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 11:31pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
Are you going to teach me verbs? Don't make me laugh cheesy
You never know, you may learn something new.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by pweetychyka(f): 11:31pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
Sure, you are right grin
Though, not everyone does.
95% graduates does it oooooo!
Even a MSc degree holder does it too!

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:31pm On May 02, 2016
freecocoa:
Maybe if you tried to paint a vivid picture of what it is you mean to say, I will be able to understand why you seem to think that, they couldn't be talking about skin, when they say "smarting"
This woman, you no dey gree!!! grin
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:35pm On May 02, 2016
freecocoa:
You never know, you may learn something new.
Gracia! cheesy
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by sweetlily2818(f): 11:36pm On May 02, 2016
Singapore1:
you posted the PROBLEM you didn't post the SOLUTION
please make amendment by giving example of the correct sentence of each wrong statement

NOTE that i am not guilty of any of this

thanks
thank you, All we need is the solution to the problem
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Jimi23(m): 11:38pm On May 02, 2016
Err ... Mr Op Oga Lecturer is it "slick" or sleek? Teacher no teach me nonsense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 11:39pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
This woman, you no dey gree!!! grin
We are just chatting na, it's not even up for debate, why would you argue on something you don't know? grin
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by CeeteeDesigns(f): 11:40pm On May 02, 2016
hmm..
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by darqly(m): 11:43pm On May 02, 2016
kudoxs:
Graduates don't go to university or polytechnic to learn how to speak good english. This is pure african mentality, many indians guru out there went to the best Universities and can't even speak good English but they work in reputable organizations all over the world. You want to know why? It's because spoken language doesn't matter but how well you can contribute to an organization or the world at large.

This is not entirely correct, and this sort of example is precisely why Nigerian graduates are largely unemployable. The Indians I have encountered in reputable firms do speak decent English language, though heavily accented. Don't kid yourself with that victim mentality of 'English is not my mother tongue', or you will stay long and frustrated in the Nigerian unemployment market. I'm still waiting to hear of that Nigerian firm that conducts recruitment interviews in pidgin or vernacular undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Tijay90(m): 11:47pm On May 02, 2016
In number 6,u said u've "SEEN many graduates saying..."...Well done!!!
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Nobody: 11:49pm On May 02, 2016
Hilarious but educative

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 11:51pm On May 02, 2016
Rapmoney:
Gracia! cheesy
de nada.

You mean to say 'gracias' I presume. cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 11:59pm On May 02, 2016
freecocoa:
We are just chatting na, it's not even up for debate, why would you argue on something you don't know? grin
I'm debating what I know but you won't just accept it that the context in which that 'verb' was used has been what I have been trying to show you.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 12:00am On May 03, 2016
Tijay90:
In number 6,u said u've "SEEN many graduates saying..."...Well done!!!
You are the wrong person here! Yes, you can see and hear people talk!

Except you want to prove to me that you are blind!
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Rapmoney(m): 12:05am On May 03, 2016
darqly:

This is not entirely correct, and this sort of example is precisely why Nigerian graduates are largely unemployable. The Indians I have encountered in reputable firms do speak decent English language, though heavily accented. Don't kid yourself with that victim mentality of 'English is not my mother tongue', or you will stay long and frustrated in the Nigerian unemployment market. I'm still waiting to hear of that Nigerian firm that conducts recruitment interviews in pidgin or vernacular undecided undecided
May God bless you!!! That's why Nigerian youths are still behind when it comes to science and technology, including innovations. The rate of this 'I don't care' attitude in our youths is just too high!!!
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by elderken(m): 12:10am On May 03, 2016
Correct!!!
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by VictorRomanov: 12:11am On May 03, 2016
Fadekebisola:

Please use the dictionary rather than argue and insult!
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 12:12am On May 03, 2016
Logicbwoy:

Number 1), 2) and 10) are all false.

1) Smarting is a verb (albeit not in the right context for what you said)

2) "Showing yourself" is not wrong, especially if "showing your hand" is a commonly used phrase.

10) "I am looking for Funmilayo" is also correct. One looks for things he/she has not seen. Also, "asking for" is not always a suitable or appropriate phrase when actually trying to get someone.

cc Seun, Lalasticlala. How do these threads get to the front page?

You can't show yourself in that context(well except you are an artwork or an exhibitionist grin), you can only show yourself if you were hiding from something or from doing something.

Showing your hand is an idiomatic expression, used to mean to 'reveal' something, mostly used in a game of cards.

It's best to ask for someone if you expect another person to give you that information, and if you seek to find someone on your own, you search for the person assuming you don't know where they are, but if you know where they are, you go there and look for them.
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by freecocoa(f): 12:17am On May 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
I'm debating what I know but you won't just accept it that the context in which that 'verb' was used has been what I have been trying to show you.
My bad. If that's the case, albeit, I did ask you for that somewhere on this thread but got no response.

You don't mind showing me again, do you?
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Gesd(m): 12:25am On May 03, 2016
Am chewing chewing gum

1 Like

Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by b03liberty(m): 12:26am On May 03, 2016
freecocoa:
That's right and it's not as if looking for someone is entirely wrong, it's just better to use search for, because that actually conveys a more appropriate capture of what you are going for.
How would one answer this?Who are you looking for?
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by b03liberty(m): 12:27am On May 03, 2016
sexyboy193:
the major factor behind these grammatical blunders was the environment some graduate met themselves when they were young. consider an environment were people hardly speak English and wen u do that in such environment, they see as been pompous. i am a very gud example
Is much college and little kindergarten
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by millionboi(m): 12:31am On May 03, 2016
Rapmoney:
When people say someone is 'smarting', does it mean they are talking about the skin? You need to be serious.

We are looking at the context in which the word is being used.
so many mistake with your write up
Re: 10 English Sentences That Can Make You Appear As A 'Quarter-Baked' Graduate by Edigrows: 12:34am On May 03, 2016
grin no. 3 and 7 tho, it seems English is still one of our Nigeria's oldest and major problems after government

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

"Three Friends & Their Careers": A Graduate Wrote This As A Book For Children / Beautiful Pictures Of Matriculants From Covenant University / What Is Next For Me After Withdrawal From The University?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.