Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,133 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu (57969 Views)

Buhari Receiving Cheers From Motorists On Fuel Queue In Kaduna (photo) / Fatima Ganduje Rants On Fuel Scarcity (Photo) / I’ve Accepted My Removal In Good Faith - Ndume (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Leke001: 9:52pm On May 11, 2016
GEJ did this and this nation was shut down for a week...now we're back to the same thing;for how long shall we keep rigmarolling?

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by nairamaniac: 9:56pm On May 11, 2016
SweetGuy225:
How much will NNPC be selling a litre? Are we going to buy locally refined fuel from government refineries for 145 naira?
nnpc imports more than 50% of their fuel.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by MeAboki(m): 9:58pm On May 11, 2016
oloriooko:

How can you commend a govt that vehemently opposed the removal of same subsidy by previous regime?
The unfriendly effect of this removal would have been overcome by now and the govt would have had enough to cushion the effect. So in effect APC shot itself in the foot by opposing something that was too important to our economic development.
Please whenever we support any party we should be objective rather than being gullible followers, these politicians have taken us for rough rides too long.

You are still ignoring the basic realities between the two circumstances before Jonathan and Buhari and therefore my point:

Jonathan had surplus money to support the subsidy and therefore had no justification for removing it; while Buhari doesn't have that kind of money to maintain it and is therefore justified in removing it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Timbuktu14(m): 9:59pm On May 11, 2016
We can't move forward as a nation if we continue to depend on oil. Imagine those small scale business owners! No stable electricity to cover for this 'development'. Imagine that you use 10 Litres of fuel to make 5k in a day. When petrol was #86, the 10 Litres equal #860. Now that its been catapulted to #145 per Litre, 10 Litres equal #1450. That's about 68.7% increment in the price of petrol.

The question now is, can any business owner increase the prices of his/her goods by 68.7% and still expect people to patronise as they used to?

The implication of this subsidy removal is this- there will be low sales because the prices of goods will definitely increase and more expenses because you can't do jack without fuel in this country! You sale goods? You transport those! You run a shop without a generator in it? Give me your location!

I know we will benefit from this on the long run but, why are the government not trying to ease people through this process? Many people will lose jobs! So many businesses will fold! Children will suffer!

This is what makes it a bad decision in my sight at this point in time.

God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by holuwatunmishe(f): 10:01pm On May 11, 2016
my question is what does Dino Melaye has to say on this matter? because I remembered vividly how he started d protest in 2012 when goodluck wanted removing this same subsidy . then Mr president should also increase d civil servants salaries so we won't die of hardship. its just done on Nigerians now that you don't know d worth of what you have until you lose it. Lord pls forgive us of all our iniquities and come to our aid Amen.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Coolgent(m): 10:09pm On May 11, 2016
Change!
Sai Baba till 2023
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by binarykid(m): 10:13pm On May 11, 2016
Is it my eyes or is there an issue with my PC screen?
For the VERY FIRST TIME nairalanders have decided to abandon ethnicity and blankly criticize this CHANGE government!!!!
surely there is hope..... NIGERIA WILL RISE AGAIN. (although i nefa kno when sha grin)
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by ichakaobos(m): 10:21pm On May 11, 2016
Thunder will strike those who cooked up the hard coming reality that would have been a thing of the past if de fraudsters in APC had allowed GEJ do away with the subsidy. And must all vital decisions that affect the country be made when the President is out of the country.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by haibe(m): 10:22pm On May 11, 2016
eph12:
The worst part is that the marketers have to source for their dollars themselves so the price could go up if dollar rises. We are finished
good thing it's pegged at 145
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by haibe(m): 10:23pm On May 11, 2016
ichakaobos:
Thunder will strike those who cooked up the hard coming reality that would have been a thing of the past if de fraudsters in APC had allowed GEJ do away with the subsidy. And must all vital decisions that affect the country be made when the President is out of the country.

Was APC existing in 2011
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Firefire(m): 10:24pm On May 11, 2016
ajebuter:
Ko ni daa fun gbogbo ijoba ati awon ti won fe tun ni mekunnu ati talaka lara ju bayi lo

Owo epo tun maa di N145 abi? Ounje won gogo, ko sie ina, generator ni gbogbo waa nlo, owo oko lo soke laala

Ijoba aninilara yi tun fikun inira gbogbo ilu?

Olorun a nii gbogbo eyin ika yii lara tomotomo. Ko sie iye billion te le ko pamo to ma gba yin lowo iya lati odo Olorun

Awon oloriburuku gbogbo.

Cc firefire,

Idojuti nla embarassed undecided
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by JuanDeDios: 10:25pm On May 11, 2016
bejeiodus:
The statement was well worded. It was a euphemic way of announcing the removal of fuel subsidy. It is so disheartening that we would have long gone past this if today's proponents of subsidy removal had not opposed the policy four years ago. I hope Nigerians can see clearly how they were fed lies to stir up their anger against Jonathan.
It is the way to go, but Nigerians need to ask those who came up with the policy why they resisted the removal four years ago.
The APC must apologize to Nigerians, particularly families of those who lost their lives during the subsidy protests. It is the only way of showing contrition for misleading millions of people.
I was against subsidy removal four years ago but have since changed my mind. What's your point? Besides GEJ institutionalised corruption - that's another reason for opposing it then.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by kaka74: 10:32pm On May 11, 2016
JuanDeDios:

I was against subsidy removal four years ago but have since changed my mind. What's your point? Besides GEJ institutionalised corruption - that's another reason for opposing it then.

It simply means u re a hypocrite driven by hatred

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by tuniski: 10:39pm On May 11, 2016
MeAboki:

You are still ignoring the basic realities between the two circumstances before Jonathan and Buhari and therefore my point:

Jonathan had surplus money to support the subsidy and therefore had no justification for removing it; while Buhari doesn't have that kind of money to maintain it and is therefore justified in removing it.

U are being clever by half. U are the type that castigates GEJ not saving while paying trillions in subsidy. Now u are tongue twisting that he had money to spend so no need to remove subsidy. SMH for u!

3 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by tuke: 10:44pm On May 11, 2016
drsmith1:
GEJ"s opposed decision of fuel subsidy was an irrational one..this one is a timely decision to save the present fuel situation
REALLY?
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by KissCODE(m): 10:45pm On May 11, 2016
TheDavidAbraham:
The removal of subsidies of any kind is always a smart economic move. We must not be short-sighted, and give in to the pull of immediate gratification.
i am a fan of total removal of subsidy anytime anyday but what is disturbing me here are these:
1- why did APC ask GEJ to reduce the pump price of PMS because crude oil was crashing during electioneering?
2- GEJ sold PMS @ #140 when he anounced subsidy removal then crude was at about $100 why do we have to buy @ #145 now crude saled @ about $41?
3- when price of goods goes up cos of this, will salaries be increased especialy now that many states arefinding it difficult to pay salaries?
4- why did APC has to wait until budget is signed into law before finally giving us a piece of their mind?

Let me see what those who vilified GEJ in 2012 are going to say about this.
Wole Soyinka, Tunde Bakare & save Nigeria group.
Just waiting to hear from them.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by tuke: 10:49pm On May 11, 2016
MeAboki:

REALLY? SO WHERE DOES LEADERSHIP FORESIGHT COME TO PLAY "OR" FOLLOWSHIP BLINDNESS/SENTIMENTAL WICKERNESS"
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by tuke: 10:57pm On May 11, 2016
KissCODE:
i am a fan of total removal of subsidy anytime anyday but what is disturbing me here are these:
1- why did APC ask GEJ to reduce the pump price of PMS because crude oil was crashing during electioneering?
2- GEJ sold PMS @ #140 when he anounced subsidy removal then crude was at about $100 why do we have to buy @ #145 now crude saled @ about $41?
3- when price of goods goes up cos of this, will salaries be increased especialy now that many states arefinding it difficult to pay salaries?
4- why did APC has to wait until budget is signed into law before finally giving us a piece of their mind?

Let me see what those who vilified GEJ in 2012 are
Wole Soyinka, Tunde Bakare & save Nigeria group.
Just waiting to hear from them.
Shame will not allow anyone make an attempt at any of this questions, but the truth will ooze out gradually.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:02pm On May 11, 2016
What?!? So why can't CBN sell forex to only registered importers at the official going rate of $199 or so and ensure that what is sold to them is what is brought back in product wise? N145 per litre? How do they even expect to control d bloody "band"? angry
Where is NLC when u need them?
Chei and to think I was part of the subsidy trek that day to freedom park! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by tuke: 11:05pm On May 11, 2016
haibe:

Was APC existing in 2011
REALLY?? WHY NOT TELL US WHO EXISTED, COS' I KNOW YOU DID.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by ichakaobos(m): 11:05pm On May 11, 2016
haibe:

Was APC existing in 2011

They people who engineered the protest back then are currently in which party? Or I should ask them the name the party might change to in the near future, say 2019?

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by KissCODE(m): 11:05pm On May 11, 2016
tuke:

Shame will not allow anyone make an attempt at any of this questions, but the truth will ooze out gradually.
you are right...

Time has a way of unveiling the truth.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by merjovis(f): 11:33pm On May 11, 2016
May God help us now at this difficult times, with leaders that don't have what it takes to lead no clue at all
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by tuke: 11:40pm On May 11, 2016
vivaciousvivi:
What?!? So why can't CBN sell forex to only registered importers at the official going rate of $199 or so and ensure that what is sold to them is what is brought back in product wise? N145 per litre? How do they even expect to control d bloody "band"? angry
Where is NLC when u need them?
Chei and to think I was part of the subsidy trek that day to freedom park! embarassed
Ehhyahh, sorry but "SHAME OF YOU"
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by rexzqcom(m): 11:40pm On May 11, 2016
MeAboki:

Surplus money are not met to be thrown away.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by tuke: 11:52pm On May 11, 2016
[quote author=holuwatunmishe post=45534907]my question is what does Dino Melaye has to say on this matter? because I remembered vividly how he started d protest in 2012 when goodluck wanted removing this same subsidy . then Mr president should also increase d civil servants salaries so we won't die of hardship. its just done on Nigerians now that you don't know d worth of what you have until you lose it. Lord pls forgive us of all our iniquities and come to our aid Amen.[/quote

DINO is in UK, explaining to the PM how his "fantastic" fleet of cars and "fantastic" taste evades the "fantastic" corruption index that naija bears. Omo, leave this matter, breeze dey blow, just cover your eyes and use your ears.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by tuke: 12:08am On May 12, 2016
OBJ two days ago said he left 13Billion and that GEJ left 30Billion. Meanwhile PMB says nothing was left. Abeg how do we verify this claims.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by corrigan: 12:20am On May 12, 2016
clueless president surrounded by desperately corrupt power drunk political opportunists and prostitutes
Nigeria needs a sincere leader such can't come from the present system . such can only be produced by a form of revolution.
I can't be surprised by anything these people do. I never expect from them . There is no difference between them and the former.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by corrigan: 12:23am On May 12, 2016
tuke:
OBJ two days ago said he left 13Billion and that GEJ left 30Billion. Meanwhile PMB says nothing was left. Abeg how do we verify this claims.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by corrigan: 12:24am On May 12, 2016
do you mean the debt they left or the reserve
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by donJ2(m): 12:25am On May 12, 2016
engrhorla:

And 3pcs of tomato will sell for #500, tfare will increase,a module of rice will become #800 and garri will sell for #300

Bros 4pcs of tomato is now N300 in my area oo
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by corrigan: 12:42am On May 12, 2016
one single example this government is a government with intended inflation is that for several years a satchet of pure water was #5 but within one year of the present gvt it has increased by 100%

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Buhari In Imo: Photos As President Buhari Steps Off The Plane / The Picture Of Olatunji Okusanya And Junior Okusanya / Dino Melaye Shares First Picture After Release

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.