Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,084 members, 7,811,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:22 PM

Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu (57963 Views)

Buhari Receiving Cheers From Motorists On Fuel Queue In Kaduna (photo) / Fatima Ganduje Rants On Fuel Scarcity (Photo) / I’ve Accepted My Removal In Good Faith - Ndume (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Mkcool: 8:12pm On May 11, 2016
This is insanity! Can't think of any better word to use.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Jethrolite(m): 8:12pm On May 11, 2016
Ymodulus anyone can now import fuel into Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Charly68: 8:13pm On May 11, 2016
cckris:
PDP is far better than APC
tell us your assessment yardstick..don't be short sighted .
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Etern: 8:13pm On May 11, 2016
bejeiodus:
Could you kindly expatiate on these circumstances? It will make it easy to juxtapose what happened then and what the situation is now.
The first is TRUST, many people never trusted PDP and GEJ to implement a fraud free deregulation.
Second: the price of crude oil was ~ $110, the general feeling was that if oil is selling this high the government should invest the excess into infrastructure that will lower dependence on oil. Fuel for generators contribute up to 30-40 percent of total daily demand. Let me stop here.
Forward 2016, people's confidence in Buhari is very high irrespective of the economic hardship. We all know the current price of crude oil. Nigerian government is loosing billions in revenue because of the dollar restrictions! Think about the customs for instance. Subsidy of any form is totally unsustainable. In fact Nigeria is broke. In reality the price has since been deregulated unofficially since the fuel shortages began, people have been buying it happily without complain.

2 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Charly68: 8:13pm On May 11, 2016
cckris:
PDP is far better than APC
tell us your assessment yardstick..don't be short sighted .Face the reality
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Nobody: 8:13pm On May 11, 2016
Ndi na acho CHANGE ntoor!

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by tivta(m): 8:14pm On May 11, 2016
Reference:

He should just wait till the Julius Bergers and Setracos start buying up dollars to execute their contracts and pay their expats who are presently on 'stood-off'....he never know anything. Most Nigerians are just dull.

Very very very dull, but then most people don't see beyond their nose, we must survive...

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by biz9ja(m): 8:16pm On May 11, 2016
GOOD MOVE THERE, Nigerians are very strong people, i know they will gladly buy @145. Kachiwkwu knows this grin grin grin
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by onatisi(m): 8:16pm On May 11, 2016
billyG:

u pple & yur luv 4 pdp is evil,no wonder 9jeria still remain like this after 16yrs.
Pls state 2 things which this government has done right and Nigerians will tell and show you 20 things they have done wrong,even buhari party bigwigs are condemning him and saying that his policies are useless and counter productive but it is surprising how some of u keep talking and reasoning with ur eyes closed and brains shut and believe that anything buhari does is right. Good luck to you and Nigeria ,Na u sabi

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by yewawa: 8:17pm On May 11, 2016
Whatever the case may be...I WILL MAKE IT.......by his grace.....God bless Nigeria...
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by mideactive: 8:18pm On May 11, 2016
Stupid thinking

yemmynoni:
Hmmmmm

Ka sha ma Dupe
I think Kachikwu and PMB are very smart. They make petrol scarce for one year then remove subsidy so, we are too tired to complain.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Charly68: 8:19pm On May 11, 2016
Can't Nigerians face reality for once ! Even all over Africa,the prices of petroleum products have gone up,hence the diversion .Now that everything has been deregulated,let us see where they will divert the products to ? Even in Cameroon that has oil,they still come to Nigeria to smuggle petroleum products into their country because it is cheaper. A litre of petrol there 565 Cfa which is about 300 equivalent.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Pidggin(f): 8:19pm On May 11, 2016
How I wish I am not a Nigerian sad
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by alt3r3g0: 8:20pm On May 11, 2016
I trust we are happy with this news. Refineries were back working and reducing cost of importation, militants go and blow the pipelines supplying the refineries and we clapped. Keep clapping.

As at 1st of february this year...there was fuel everywhere and pump price in port harcourt was 86.50 in every station. But no...if things are going smoothly in Nigeria, something must be wrong.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Reference(m): 8:22pm On May 11, 2016
isnovic:
I have noticed GMB is always out whenever such announcement are to be made.

Deliberately absent, he should have personally made this announcement instead of handing over is responsibilities to a Junior minister for that matter.

Insensitive.

Hmmm.....noticed it too. Always absent when unpopular decisions are to be made, stormed out when Ministers asked for a rent raise leaving the Veep to carry the can. He's too much into this 'squeaky clean image' thingy. Politics is not like that. Every elected public servant MUST pass through the phase of exchanging power for popularity. Politics is the biggest oil trade. You cannot go through without getting stained.

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by igboboy3(m): 8:22pm On May 11, 2016
islandmoon:
we didnt like PDP but somehow APC has proved PDP was a more considerate thief!

Even after all the money they stole. They still kept the masses slightly satisfied. These ones don't care.

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by rexzqcom(m): 8:23pm On May 11, 2016
Good they stopped deceiving themselves.
Also need to remove official naira subsidy of pegging exchange rate.let market fluctuations determine rate.

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by signz: 8:24pm On May 11, 2016
GEJ and NOI will be somewhere laughing at us now. They have been justified.

Indeed there is God
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Excellentmind: 8:25pm On May 11, 2016
MeAboki:

The circumstances during Jonathan/PDP and now under Buhari/APC are not the same:
Jonathan had surplus earnings from crude (at over $150/barrel) to spend on subsidy when he was presiding over his corrupt wasteful govt; while Buhari/APC is only having about 1/4 of such earnings from crude (at about $40/barrel) and clearly do not enjoy the same luxury Jonathan had - there is therefore no cause for APC to apologize because they cannot be blamed for the fall in current crude price and therefore the attendant fall in revenue that could have otherwise sustained such subsidy - rather, the govt should be commended instead for taking this bold step.

If price of Crude oil in the market today is $40, what reason is cogent enough to be cited as the basis for the upward review? What goes around comes around. Get your rocket launcher ready, for the protests will have no measures. Ewu
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Etern: 8:25pm On May 11, 2016
Its not the end of the world. N145 is the limit but fuel could still be bought for N100. For example if NNPC filling stations get their supply from the refinery, they could decide to sell N100. Oando filling stations may get their supply from abroad and maybe selling for N120. Now competition sets in.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by mmrius(m): 8:26pm On May 11, 2016
We shall overcome. Nigeria will not destroy nor defeat us.

My fellow Nigerians, if the LORD is leading you to relocate, please do and if He is telling you to stay and weather the storm also do because better days are ahead. But as for me and my household, we are out of Nigeria at first light.

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by bedspread: 8:27pm On May 11, 2016
abbey621:

Look at it this way, you are already buying it at 150 to 250 Naira right now with people even begging to see fuel buy and the world did not end, 145 Naira fuel in return for no scarcity and a better economy is not too much!
Bros in this Nigeria that we are, lets not deceive our self, THAT PRICE WOULD CAUSE HARDSHIP ESPECIALLY IN LAGOS AND ABUJA
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Bekwarra(m): 8:30pm On May 11, 2016
They can't pay salaries
They can't provide power supply
They can't make fuel available
Prices of goods and services have sky-rocketed
They've increased electricity tariff while supply has dropped drastically
They are now deducting our money in banks
They have started collecting postage stamp
And now they've gone back to their vomit to remove the subsidy they mobilised all and sundry against in 2012. Fuel is now officially #145.
APC is really God's punishment on Nigerians.
Ronald Reagan said in his famous 1964 The Choosing Speech "You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream – the maximum of individual freedom consistent with law and order – or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism." Abraham Lincoln once opined that to determine a good government, you ask was my life better than this before? The answer is obvious, I don't know about Zombies but for I and people around me, we were living better than this.

3 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by greenify: 8:30pm On May 11, 2016
Presently in my area petrol price is now over #200 because of d increment.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Reference(m): 8:30pm On May 11, 2016
Hengineer:
Exchange rate bro, the exchange rate has changed. As at 2012 January, it was N150 (or even less) to a dollar, today it is N320 and the importers would have to source their forex at this devalued rate.

Again, the N145 seems to be the upper cap set by the regulators to make sure unpatriotic independent marketers dont gang up and exploit Nigerians by making fuel scarce and increasing the price astronomically. From all indications, the NNPC would still sell fuel below N110 even with this development.

If deregulation had taken place then, we will have saved close to 3 trillion naira or its dollar equivalent. More importantly any price increases resulting from exchange rates will have been tracked like any other commodity. I will always tell Nigerians, inflation happens in every country in the world. Prices of goods and services will always increase. That is a given. What is different in iur case is that we seem to prefer jolts rather than creep. You can adjust to creep but jolts leave a bitter taste and a backlash than paralyses the economic system and prevents rational thinking. Why we let things rot to the point of catastrophic failure baffles me.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by sinto5(m): 8:31pm On May 11, 2016
Sai baba," the last time i said dat i was almost kill by hausa boys
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Progressives4lov(m): 8:32pm On May 11, 2016
This peoples self make unaa carry unaself commot 4 aso ruck jaire make peoples rest 2day petrol 2morro electricity and economy una no no ao 2 govern jooo yeyeyeye
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by ajebuter(f): 8:32pm On May 11, 2016
Ko ni daa fun gbogbo ijoba ati awon ti won fe tun ni mekunnu ati talaka lara ju bayi lo

Owo epo tun maa di N145 abi? Ounje won gogo, ko sie ina, generator ni gbogbo waa nlo, owo oko lo soke laala

Ijoba aninilara yi tun fikun inira gbogbo ilu?

Olorun a nii gbogbo eyin ika yii lara tomotomo. Ko sie iye billion te le ko pamo to ma gba yin lowo iya lati odo Olorun

Awon oloriburuku gbogbo.

Cc firefire,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by mark3009(m): 8:33pm On May 11, 2016
Etern:

The circumstances surrounding the removal of subsidy 4 years ago are not the same today.
What's the difference? If anything should be considered pms ought to be cheaper now because the price of crude has fallen drastically.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Reference(m): 8:36pm On May 11, 2016
Dapsin2901:
No going back I remain APC

There's no where to go to. You have burnt all your bridges. You're now between a rock and a hard place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by matoyeh(m): 8:38pm On May 11, 2016
bejeiodus:
The statement was well worded. It was a euphemic way of announcing the removal of fuel subsidy. It is so disheartening that we would have long gone past this if today's proponents of subsidy removal had not opposed the policy four years ago. I hope Nigerians can see clearly how they were fed lies to stir up their anger against Jonathan.
It is the way to go, but Nigerians need to ask those who came up with the policy why they resisted the removal four years ago.
The APC must apologize to Nigerians, particularly families of those who lost their lives during the subsidy protests. It is the only way of showing contrition for misleading millions of people.
finally, Gej has been justified! Apc ole, gbogbo yin ole!
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by 989900: 8:40pm On May 11, 2016
This is not going to end well if refineries are not working, naira falls further or oil prices increase -- official pump prices could go as high as N300/litre!

Presently, importation costs NNPC roughly N100/litre.

While it could cost as low as N70/litre if we had working refineries.

Shame on the gov't and anyone comparing AGO with PMS -- for every equipment that uses diesel, there are probably 500-1000 more using PMS.

Kudos to pipeline vandals and their apologizers -- we will all bear the consequences.

This is not what the people voted Buhari for.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Photos From Mass Burial Of Soldiers Killed By Boko Haram / Buhari In Imo: Photos As President Buhari Steps Off The Plane / The Picture Of Olatunji Okusanya And Junior Okusanya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.