Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,267 members, 7,811,769 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:21 PM

Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu (57986 Views)

Buhari Receiving Cheers From Motorists On Fuel Queue In Kaduna (photo) / Fatima Ganduje Rants On Fuel Scarcity (Photo) / I’ve Accepted My Removal In Good Faith - Ndume (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Odunayaw(m): 12:44am On May 12, 2016
be it jonafang or bullhari....we need a revolution
one thing PMB must admit is making himself look like a savior during campaigns!
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Odunayaw(m): 12:44am On May 12, 2016
cry
I do not just understand why CBN refused to redenominate d naira wen d timing was right
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by delexy123: 1:28am On May 12, 2016
drsmith1:
GEJ"s opposed decision of fuel subsidy was an irrational one..this one is a timely decision to save the present fuel situation
pls what do you mean by irrational in dis context? kindly explain.

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by thirdi(m): 3:40am On May 12, 2016
Essential commodity times Loading ..............
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Jayetiti(m): 5:04am On May 12, 2016
Coolgent:
Change!
Sai Baba till 2023

tah,comot for here, sai baba koh yes bobo ni
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by oloriooko(m): 5:46am On May 12, 2016
MeAboki:

You are still ignoring the basic realities between the two circumstances before Jonathan and Buhari and therefore my point:

Jonathan had surplus money to support the subsidy and therefore had no justification for removing it; while Buhari doesn't have that kind of money to maintain it and is therefore justified in removing it.
Ironically youare the one obviously ignoring the facts
The crux of the matter is that subsidy is not good for our economy, total deregulation of the downstream sector is the wisest thing to do irrespective of financial buoyancy or otherwise.
People should stop defending obvious wrong selfush action of occupying Nigeria, it was politically motivated. So you think if oil price is above $100 today PMB will not remove subsidy?

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Mckennedy: 6:03am On May 12, 2016
willywasco:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=473905869466814&substory_index=0&id=448436902013711&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.473905869466814%3Atl_objid.473905869466814%3Athid.448436902013711%3A306061129499414%3A69%3A0%3A1464764399%3A-4871739331966776313&__tn__=%2As

What else do you expect, when you sold the lives of over one hundred million Nigerian graduates in the hands of a man without even ordinary secondary school certificate..am watching in 4D.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by eph12(m): 6:48am On May 12, 2016
haibe:
good thing it's pegged at 145
Guess you missed the part where it says dollars would be sourced through secondary source. In case you don't know this means black market. So what happens if dollar continues to rise? You think these marketers will accept to run at a loss or not make maximum profit? Government insistence on that price will only result in hoarding of fuel which will bring scarcity and then masses suffer again. But guess we are used to already after all it's God sent Buhari. Your prayer point should be that dollar does not rise higher than this.

2 Likes

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by smogup: 6:49am On May 12, 2016
drsmith1:
GEJ"s opposed decision of fuel subsidy was an irrational one..this one is a timely decision to save the present fuel situation
sharrrappp!!!

1 Like

Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by logica(m): 8:45am On May 12, 2016
eph12:

From what you understand not what you read.

How logical do you think it is for the prices to remain the same? Government will not render any assistance in sourcing for dollars and so when the marketers spend more to import they should maintain same price? Think am na. They are not there to make loss. If government insists on this benchmark price then we are heading for another fuel scarcity soon. We should just hope dollar doesn't go further than this.
I expect them to update this cap price of 145 as things change. I think this is a temporary "solution" if anything at all.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by eph12(m): 8:53am On May 12, 2016
logica:
I expect them to update this cap price of 145 as things change. I think this is a temporary "solution" if anything at all.
Nah this is not temporary. This is government saying am done with paying subsidy. No sensible government will bring it back.
What a sensible government is supposed to do is to make things that will cushion the effect of this.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by logica(m): 8:56am On May 12, 2016
eph12:

Nah this is not temporary. This is government saying am done with paying subsidy. No sensible government will bring it back.
What a sensible government is supposed to do is to make things that will cushion the effect of this.
But you cannot say PMS price has been deregulated and at the same time put a cap (of 145). That is the obvious temporal nature of the "solution".

For me they put the cart before the horse. We don't have enough NNPC stations yet to effectively control the price.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by eph12(m): 9:04am On May 12, 2016
logica:
But you cannot say PMS price has been deregulated and at the same time put a cap (of 145). That is the obvious temporal nature of the "solution".

For me they put the cart before the horse. We don't have enough NNPC stations yet to effectively control the price.
That's my problem with this government. Trying to teach people how to run their business. It won't work. There will be a disagreement very soon.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by MeAboki(m): 9:36am On May 12, 2016
tuniski:

U are being clever by half. U are the type that castigates GEJ not saving while paying trillions in subsidy. Now u are tongue twisting that he had money to spend so no need to remove subsidy. SMH for u!

And you are one of those still blindly supporting GEJ's wasteful mis-governance; he had surplus but didn't save and at the same time wanted to remove subsidy to the detriment of the masses, so that he and his cronies could continue the unprecedented rape of this country (remember his public endorsement of looting of govt funds - stealing is not corruption) - part of the the consequences we are now paying for.
My mind boggles at how some youths of today could still be celebrating a govt or group of politicians responsible for stealing and mortgaging their future - SMH at such blind sentimental mentality.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Rapsino(m): 9:40am On May 12, 2016
Tolexander:
Na how many times this administration wan remove subsidy?
if u ask me na who I go ask?
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Mojoy88(m): 9:41am On May 12, 2016
Almajiri1:
This government is finished!
Yeah! It is true. PDP finished it. grin
Almajiri1:
Yeah! It is true. PDP finished it.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by MeAboki(m): 9:45am On May 12, 2016
tuke:

REALLY? SO WHERE DOES LEADERSHIP FORESIGHT COME TO PLAY "OR" FOLLOWSHIP BLINDNESS/SENTIMENTAL WICKERNESS"

Then you want a prophet for a leader not a president because it would require someone with supernatural foresight to have predicted the huge crash in crude price (main source of govt revenue including forex to sustain such subsidy) that we have just witnessed in the last 12 months.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by MeAboki(m): 9:48am On May 12, 2016
rexzqcom:

Surplus money are not met to be thrown away.
Did Jonathan saved any of such surplus? Go ask (Okonji Iweala) the former finance minister I am sure she will have ready answers for you.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by MeAboki(m): 10:00am On May 12, 2016
oloriooko:

Ironically youare the one obviously ignoring the facts
The crux of the matter is that subsidy is not good for our economy, total deregulation of the downstream sector is the wisest thing to do irrespective of financial buoyancy or otherwise.
People should stop defending obvious wrong selfush action of occupying Nigeria, it was politically motivated. So you think if oil price is above $100 today PMB will not remove subsidy?

Most govts subsidize one thing or the other in order to provide social relief to the poor or drive policies in a particular direction.
The real issue is whether the govt of the day could afford it or not: the answer is yes as at 2012 during GEJ's leadership when crude sold at over $150; and No presently because the country can no longer afford it due to vastly reduced income from crude at about $40 - do the maths, the difference is clear.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by TheDavidAbraham(m): 10:10am On May 12, 2016
adeniyisamuel59:
You will be remembered in due time when the change you expect does not come.

Hehe see this guy... remembered for what?

Don't forget that no matter which side of the debate you are on, what we both want is a better Nigeria.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by Odunayaw(m): 10:11am On May 12, 2016
MeAboki:

Most govts subsidize one thing or the other in order to provide social relief to the poor or drive policies in a particular direction.
The real issue is whether the govt of the day could afford it or not: the answer is yes as at 2012 during GEJ's leadership when crude sold at over $150; and No presently because the country can no longer afford it due to vastly reduced income from crude at about $40 - do the maths, the difference is clear.
True...other governments have been daft too long
it would have been better if there was subsidy to aid local refining of our needs rather than subsiding d price.It has only been an avenue to steal!
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by jpphilips(m): 10:20am On May 12, 2016
bejeiodus:
The statement was well worded. It was a euphemic way of announcing the removal of fuel subsidy. It is so disheartening that we would have long gone past this if today's proponents of subsidy removal had not opposed the policy four years ago. I hope Nigerians can see clearly how they were fed lies to stir up their anger against Jonathan.
It is the way to go, but Nigerians need to ask those who came up with the policy why they resisted the removal four years ago.
The APC must apologize to Nigerians, particularly families of those who lost their lives during the subsidy protests. It is the only way of showing contrition for misleading millions of people.

You don't just speak for fun sake, the 2012 situation is not quintessential with what we have today.
Subsidy is not for people who dont understand it.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by oloriooko(m): 11:05am On May 12, 2016
MeAboki:

So cuz we could afford it in 2012 we should have contunued paying for what we could eliminate?
The best time to remove subsidy would have been when it was affordable for our economy cuz by now we would have stabilized and cushioning would have been easier.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by melachima(m): 11:53am On May 12, 2016
Almajiri1:
no. we "nigerians" are finished. embarassed
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by MeAboki(m): 1:28pm On May 12, 2016
oloriooko:

So cuz we could afford it in 2012 we should have contunued paying for what we could eliminate?
The best time to remove subsidy would have been when it was affordable for our economy cuz by now we would have stabilized and cushioning would have been easier.

Yes.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by JuanDeDios: 3:57pm On May 12, 2016
kaka74:

It simply means u re a hypocrite driven by hatred
It's so simple yet you don't get it. And something tells me you can't get it. I'll just leave you to wallow in your hatred.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by rexzqcom(m): 7:03pm On May 12, 2016
MeAboki:

Did Jonathan saved any of such surplus? Go ask (Okonji Iweala) the former finance minister I am sure she will have ready answers for you.

Lots of decaying infrastructures were restured. And new ones were developed.
Jonathan's subsidy removal would have created a better balance in economy of scale. Because then naira had no pegged official rates. All importers would have play on level playing field. But now with naira pegged, nnpc and others with political connections will be able to import using official rates. While others will use higher parallel market rates and higher selling prices.
Eventually, others importers will rather buy from nnpc and sell at markups than import anything. Resulting in scarcity and much higher prices than set official price.
To make it equivalent to what would have obtained in Jonathan's era, is to deregulate naira and let market decide same rates for all importers and everybody else.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by kaka74: 7:41pm On May 12, 2016
JuanDeDios:

It's so simple yet you don't get it. And something tells me you can't get it. I'll just leave you to wallow in your hatred.

Am not d 1 hating nd I can't hate i neva supported d removal in 2012 nd I won't support it now I sabi how much I de use power my engines to work it is u who is simply driven by ur hatred for a man simply cos he z a minority many of u re hypocrites
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by MeAboki(m): 9:09pm On May 12, 2016
rexzqcom:

Lots of decaying infrastructures were restured. And new ones were developed.
Jonathan's subsidy removal would have created a better balance in economy of scale. Because then naira had no pegged official rates. All importers would have play on level playing field. But now with naira pegged, nnpc and others with political connections will be able to import using official rates. While others will use higher parallel market rates and higher selling prices.
Eventually, others importers will rather buy from nnpc and sell at markups than import anything. Resulting in scarcity and much higher prices than set official price.
To make it equivalent to what would have obtained in Jonathan's era, is to deregulate naira and let market decide same rates for all importers and everybody else.

We must have been living in different planets, Jonathan restored and developed what infrastructure, you mean how he scammed us on the few he attempted, ranging from NEPA, railways and airports - guy, just don't even go there. He and his cronies simply squandered our surplus windfall - Okonji Iweala former financial minister confirmed this.

Subsidy removal is part of the process towards complete deregulation, which the govt has already almost actualized by opening up the downstream sector to anybody (including you yourself, should you be interested).

The only outstanding difference is that NNPC is still enjoying preferential treatment in terms of its source of Forex; however it has been ordered to operate at closely the same par with its competitors in its dual role as a major importer and a retailer; though I agree there may be room for some unscrupulous individuals to exploit - but hey, its Buhari's govt, don't forget that EFCC will be there watching and waiting in the wings for such ppl.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by JuanDeDios: 9:18pm On May 12, 2016
kaka74:

Am not d 1 hating nd I can't hate i neva supported d removal in 2012 nd I won't support it now I sabi how much I de use power my engines to work it is u who is simply driven by ur hatred for a man simply cos he z a minority many of u re hypocrites
How do you know where I'm from? You can't think properly. That's your problem, so everything is about your hero, GEJ. So what's wrong with changing one's view on an issue, either due to better understanding or change in circumstances? You have refused to leave an election behind yet you're quick to accuse others of hate.
Re: Press Statement On Fuel Subsidy Removal In Nigeria, By Kachikwu by kaka74: 9:38pm On May 12, 2016
JuanDeDios:

How do you know where I'm from? You can't think properly. That's your problem, so everything is about your hero, GEJ. So what's wrong with changing one's view on an issue, either due to better understanding or change in circumstances? You have refused to leave an election behind yet you're quick to accuse others of hate.

Jesus see dis guy ooo I finished my nysc 2011 stayed @ home roaming d streets like an idiot no show dat was when I knw naija no send me Gej inclusive so. Started my own hustle nd I use fuel daily I lambasted gej in 2012 I cursed I'm mama self but u all all who re saying dat u now have a better understanding or telling me d circumstances have changed so dat I can be buying fuel 18 litred daily @ 145 so dat u will clap for dis wicked policy I say let God judge u all according to ur hearts pls I don't like it when pple insult my intelligence is it buhari being in power dat triggered ur better understanding or kachikwu dat changed d circustances tell me xactly what changed from d 2012 scenerio?

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

DSS And NCS Fight Over Emefiele's Custody (Video, Photo) / Crude Oil Drilling In Lake Chad Basin To Start Soon / Attack On Shia Muslims Continues In Kaduna From “House To House" (Pics, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.