Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,304 members, 7,954,205 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:14 PM

What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? (13279 Views)

Global Decline In Values: You Needn't Key In / Your Values: Your Value / 5 Personal Values That Would Bring You Happiness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by PinketteDawn: 11:57am On May 21, 2016
lezz:
Same belief here.

In a way yes, the relationship between a man and a woman is complementary in nature , made so by the unfathomable brilliance of God through millions of years of evolution.

That's why faggøtry can't make sense ever.

Women are more dependent on their men in more ways than men are.

I don't have the time now to type a long submission.

But in everyday things like sex, emotional well-being, in chaos, spirituality, trend, culture etc. Women wait for man to lead and she follows.

Take this home:

If Nairaland were a physical sphere and a terrorist act were to occur or armed robbers where to attack, all the females here will instinctively, without the the luxury of a nano second of thought look up to the men for direction, and leadership......that's the ones who will have the presence of mind, the others might be busy screaming or in a state of perceptual shock.

Please how does genetics come into this? I still don't see it. I thought maybe you would cite a research done by some scientists to show how a woman's DNA strand is incomplete without a matching strand from that of a man. Everything you listed here still does not prove to me that a woman is wired genetically to be more dependent on a man.

Perhaps as a result of nuturing and envirommental influence, women have been taught to rely on a man for direction (this is fast changing in our society today because many women are being brought up to be strong and independent these days).

If an attack occurs, where I come from, my first instinct will be to run for my life, away from the source of the attack. I don't have the time to sit and wait for a man to save me. You may find it hard to believe, but women can also think and act rationally under pressure too. All these come as a result of training and conditioning of the mind. Men are brought up to believe that they should never shed tears and you see them suppressing tears because their mind is already wired to believe that a man does not shed tears in difficult situations. Or when you see a man venting his feelings you will hear 'you talk and behave like a woman. Be a man! A man does not talk too much'
All these are as a result of nuturing and conditioning of the mind. It has nothing to do with genetics. I was brought up to believe that a woman cannot be a mechanic, imagine my shock and dismay the day I saw a woman mechanic...yet again, an example of mind conditioning.

Still I see no way a wOman is genetically wired to be dependent on a man. If you have done a research on this, kindly share it with us.
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Creamish(f): 12:03pm On May 21, 2016
Dheartless:

i am inclined to believe you my creamish-murderer , ever since you shot me on the first thread of encounter , I think I need a lot of healing on emotional-vulnerability when it concerns you.
I sure know you good and I am willing to know you better in all practices of life and living " which includes ......." grin .

Lolz... which includes..? grin
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Creamish(f): 12:07pm On May 21, 2016
Acidosis:

I love you smiley cool

smiley wink

1 Like

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by PinketteDawn: 12:16pm On May 21, 2016
[quote author=Creamish post=45825952][/quote]

Please include verse 21: Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Both husband and wives submit to each other. It is not sequential. Husbands do not wait for your wives to submit to you before you love them. The same bible also told us to love our neighbour as much as we love ourselves meaning that even as a wife, you should also love your husband without waiting for him to love you first.
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by lezz(m): 12:17pm On May 21, 2016
PinketteDawn:

Please how does genetics come into this? I still don't see it. I thought maybe you would cite a research done by some scientists to show how a woman's DNA strand is incomplete without a matching strand from that of a man. Everything you listed here still does not prove to me that a woman is genetically dependent on a man.

Perhaps as a result of nuturing and envirommental influence, women have been taught to rely on a man for direction (this is fast changing in our society today because many women are being brought up to be strong and independent these days).

If an attack occurs, where I come from, my first instinct will be to run for my life, away from the source of the attack. I don't have the time to sit and wait for a man to save me. You may find it hard to believe, but women can also think and act rationally under pressure too. All these come as a result of training and conditioning of the mind. Men are brought up to believe that they should never shed tears and you see them suppressing tears because their mind is already wired to believe that a man does not shed tears in difficult situations. Or when you see a man venting his feelings you will hear 'you talk and behave like a woman. Be a man! A man does not talk too much'
All these are as a result of nuturing and conditioning of the mind. It has nothing to do with genetics. I was brought up to believe that a woman cannot be a mechanic, imagine my shock and dismay the day I saw a woman mechanic...yet again, an example of mind conditioning.

Still I see no way a wOman is genetically wired to be dependent on a man. If you have done a research in this, kindly share it with us.

Sugar, you have, without much effort, denied the structural and genetical difference between men and women.

And you used the well-worn tool of "societal conditioning" as an excuse. Society condition women you say, and I say it is in your genes, baby.

Let me tell you all ladies something without the consolation of euphemism to make me dear to you.

There are not one difference between you and women of the last century. The only difference is they were true to their nature, you are denying your very predisposition with education.
Carry on.

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by carammel(f): 12:25pm On May 21, 2016
If only women were enlightened earlier,African marriage would have been long dead.
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by MrPresident1: 12:27pm On May 21, 2016
Ishilove:

Lol. Okay. You got me. Can you now please say what you mean in plain English? cheesy

Jesus is the owner of the sceptre of authority, he is the only rightful ruler. When he comes, all the nonsense in the world will end cheesy

Comprehende now mon ami?
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Dheartless: 12:29pm On May 21, 2016
Creamish:

Lolz... which includes..? grin
I been no wan talk o, but since you asked a question, it would be rude of me not to answer.
........which includes unharmful intimacy....grin grin grin

sorry I wanna ask you this question.
are you married ?
one of lezzes post to me suggests that you maybe married with kids ...
you don't have to mind the second section of this reply
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Creamish(f): 12:31pm On May 21, 2016
PinketteDawn:

Please include verse 21: Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Both husband and wives submit to each other. It is not sequential. Husbands do not wait for your wives to submit to you before you love them. The same bible also told us to love our neighbour as much as we love ourselves meaning that even as a wife, you should also love your husband without waiting for him to love you first.

Love and Respect for God and each other ensures a successful marriage. The woman does not stand above the man. She must respect him as the head of the home. She is his partner. He must love and respect her as well as his better-half. This is not about the new generation belief that women are equal to men. That sh!t does not apply in marriage.

The way u treat each other determines the direction ur marriage takes. It also tells how well the kids' home training goes. Pride should be kicked out the door for the sake of peace. Both party must remain faithful for no one has the right to cheat on the other.

3 Likes

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by PinketteDawn: 12:31pm On May 21, 2016
lezz:

Sugar, you have, without much effort, denied the structural and genetical difference between men and women.

And you used the well-worn tool of "societal conditioning" as an excuse. Society condition women you say, and I say it is in your genes, baby.

Let me tell you all ladies something without the consolation of euphemism to make me dear to you.

There are not one difference between you and women of the last century. The only difference is they were true to their nature, you are denying your very predisposition with education.
Carry on.

Honey, you have not proved to me that I am genetically wired to be dependent on a man more than he is to me. We need each other to survive.

Women of the last century knew no better. And how could they? Men were educated and empowered, women were not. Now that women know they have the same brain capacity as men do, how on earth will they still carry on believing that men are more superior to them? And that they, women, are more genetically dependent on men?

You say it is in my genes and I tell you it is not in my genes...honey.
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Creamish(f): 12:32pm On May 21, 2016
Dheartless:

I been no wan talk o, but since you asked a question it would be rude of me not to answer.
........which includes unharmful intimacy....grin grin grin

sorry I wanna ask you this question.
are you married ?
one of lezzes post to me suggests that you maybe married with kids ...
you don't have to mind the second section of this reply

Yes I am married with kids. smiley ...so our relationship will be as innocent as a newborn..
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 21, 2016
PinketteDawn:

Virtual hug for you! smiley smiley

You sure you don't want to take that back?. I don't want the body temperatures of some gentlemen to rise any further ooo. As it appears my presence here is making some ninjas very uncomfortable. cheesy. Just kidding though. cool

Mindfulness:
Why are people thanking you for this piece when it was inspired by me? grin cheesy
Just kidding.
I am standing in ovation too. wink

Perhaps if I received 100k in remuneration for the writ, I would split it evenly between us, since you, after all was the source of inspiration. That seems fair enough. grin

Mindfulness:

Well, positive discrimination to me is the freedom to choose who I actually want to interact with on a particular day. wink

I actually wanted to write 'Nigerian' but decided to stick to the title of this thread hoping that someone would actually see what I see. wink

Again and again I find it rather remarkable that people have such issues with change claiming that everything was better back in the day.
I think this nostalgia is a result of selective memory which paints a rather distorted picture of the past. Sometimes it is not even a matter of remembrance because those who claim that everything was better back in the day have not even been experienced the struggles of yesterday.

What I have no doubt about is that different times come with different privileges and simultaneously new problems that stand in need for new solutions. And with these solutions comes development, which is the driving force behind all life. Evolution is the most natural process. You either embrace it and utilize it to your advantage or you keep pushing against the inevitable ending up bitter.

I am sure most people, traditionalist or progressive, would agree that trust and respect are essential but what is love?

Well, the moment you break the promise to love and honor your spouse till death do you part is the moment the marriage is dissolved. I don't see why anyone should be asked to live up to the promise of till death do us part when the other party does not live up to the promise of loving and honoring their spouse.

This can only happen if such men learn to connect to and respect their own emotions.

Any discussion of a woman's submission that neglects the man's duty to love his wife is one-sided and futile.
Assuming that she said the truth, he broke the vow to love and honor her, which is the breaking of the fundament, on which the marriage was built and should be sustained.

As above. The foundation of the marriage institution as we know it now is to love and honor your spouse. If you can't live up to this expectation, your relationship is no longer a marriage as it is bound to this promise, its realization and manifestation.

Well, I am a lil' bit disappointed that a woman like Tiwa didn't set her priorities straight right from the get-go.
Didn't she know that a 'traditionalist' stands in the opposite direction to the ambitions of a woman like her? Or was it that infatuation clouded her sight to the point where she was not able to see his recklessness?

There are millions of men and women who desire a clear hierarchy in their marriage. Let them find and stick to each other.
For those of us who desire a different arrangement, let us positively discriminate them by sticking to people with similar or same preference

As long as people feel that their egos depend on how others behave, their egos will remain fragile.

Thank God! smiley

Well, there are women who do not want men to assist in the house as they consider them effeminate so let them choose each other.
Everyone gets served what they want

And there are millions of women out there who appreciate and enjoy such an attitude.

Well, all in good time, I guess.

@emboldened_You just practically said my mind!. Each person should settle down with their ilk and there would be no kerfuffle. Too much simpleminded and merry-go-round chatter over very easy things just irks me to the bones.

I'm sorry I couldn't offer a comprehensive reply. This thread doesn't appear to be a conducive learning environment. The exact reason I spend more time on Quora than here anyways. I almost never learn anything here!.

Perhaps on another thread. Just not this one. Have a blessed weekend. cool

4 Likes

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Dheartless: 12:43pm On May 21, 2016
Creamish:

Yes I am married with kids. smiley ...so our relationship will be as innocent as a newborn..
heartbroken I am, why didn't let me know from the very start but you allowed me to build up hopes angry .
this is saddening , if only it were morally right to seduce another mans wife ........ right now I am beginning to consider the truth that "God always forgive us our sins" to my advantage and sanity .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by PinketteDawn: 12:45pm On May 21, 2016
Creamish:

Love and Respect for God and each other ensures a successful marriage. The woman does not stand above the man. She must respect him as the head of the home. She is his partner. He must love and respect her as well as his better-half. This is not about the new generation belief that women are equal to men. That sh!t does not apply in marriage.

The way u treat each other determines the direction ur marriage takes. It also tells how well the kids' home training goes. Pride should be kicked out the door for the sake of peace. Both party must remain faithful for no one has the right to cheat on the other.

If you have read one of my previous posts, I mentioned that I want my man to lead me. My man is not above me neither am I beneath him. We are also not rubbing shoulders together. He is the leader and the head of the home. I love the fact that you agree with me that He, the man, the head, the leader, also needs to love and respect his wife as his better half. Most men get carried away in their bid to head that they forget this 'love and respect' which they owe their wives ordinarily. They see their women as tools who exist merely to always please them.

A leader is a visionary who carried his people along. A leader can only win through his followers and most successful husbands today know this.
Humility does not mean enduring and tolerating abuse from your husband because he is the man.

3 Likes

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by lezz(m): 1:10pm On May 21, 2016
PinketteDawn:

Honey, you have not proved to me that I am genetically wired to be dependent on a man more than he is to me. We need each other to survive.

Women of the last century knew no better. And how could they? Men were educated and empowered, women were not. Now that women know they have the same brain capacity as men do, how on earth will they still carry on believing that men are more superior to them? And that they, women, are more genetically dependent on men?

You say it is in my genes and I tell you it is not in my genes...honey.
Gene predetermines behaviour patterns to an extend. You need me to say this? You hinge it on societal conditioning. I say not entirely true.
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by PinketteDawn: 1:33pm On May 21, 2016
lezz:
Gene predetermines behaviour patterns to an extend. You need me to say this? You hinge it on societal conditioning. I say not entirely true.

To an extent, yes! Yes oh yes! To an EXTENT. Genes don't condition me to believe that I am more genetically dependent on a man than he is to me. Genes can make a schizophrenic father give birth to a child that would likely develop schizophrenia in the future.

I could tell you that men are more genetically more dependent on women with some point just like you came up with your points but even I, know that it is not true.
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Creamish(f): 1:35pm On May 21, 2016
PinketteDawn:

If you have read one of my previous posts, I mentioned that I want my man to lead me. My man is not above me neither am I beneath him. We are also not rubbing shoulders together. He is the leader and the head of the home. I love the fact that you agree with me that He, the man, the head, the leader, also needs to love and respect his wife as his better half. Most men get carried away in their bid to head that they forget this 'love and respect' which they owe their wives ordinarily. They see their women as tools who exist merely to always please them.

A leader is a visionary who carried his people along. A leader can only win through his followers and most successful husbands today know this.
Humility does not mean enduring and tolerating abuse from your husband because he is the man.

Valid points. We share the same views here.

1 Like

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Creamish(f): 1:39pm On May 21, 2016
Dheartless:

heartbroken I am, why didn't let me know from the very start but you allowed me to build up hopes angry .
this is saddening , if only it were morally right to seduce another mans wife ........ right now I am beginning to consider the truth that "God always forgive us our sins" to my advantage and sanity .

I always thought u were someone else... now I know different. I don't broadcast my status unnecessarily...its needless. I avoid flirtation as much as I can.

Im Sorry dear.. smiley
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by postmann: 2:08pm On May 21, 2016
Creamish:

What should I dub thee, O woman of wisdom and virtue? You come as pure as gold, and your values endure through the rusty times of perversion and rebellion.

Younger women shall learn at your feet and build a healthy tomorrow for themselves; and men shall sing your praise and be comforted that our mother's advice didn't go down the drain

2 Likes

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Creamish(f): 2:33pm On May 21, 2016
postmann:

What should I dub thee, O woman of wisdom and virtue? You come as pure as gold, and your values endures through the rusty times of perversion and rebellion.

Young women shall learn at your feet and build a healthy tomorrow for themselves; young men shall sing your praise and be comforted that our mother's advice didn't go down the drain

Postmann.... smiley

I am humbled. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by lezz(m): 2:42pm On May 21, 2016
PinketteDawn:

To an extent, yes! Yes oh yes! To an EXTENT. Genes don't condition me to believe that I am more genetically dependent on a man than he is to me. Genes can make a schizophrenic father give birth to a child that would likely develop schizophrenia in the future.

I could tell you that men are more genetically more dependent on women with some point just like you came up with your points but even I, know that it is not true.

Your understanding of gene is frightfully limited, dear. You should be having to mentions now, including this one.
https://www.nairaland.com/3119292/all-what-mother-dont
If not, see her:
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by PunterTim(m): 2:57pm On May 21, 2016
Creamish:

I always thought u were someone else... now I know different. I don't broadcast my status unnecessarily...its needless. I avoid flirtation as much as I can.

Im Sorry dear.. smiley
Emphasis on "as much as i can"grin
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Creamish(f): 3:47pm On May 21, 2016
PunterTim:
Emphasis on "as much as i can"grin

Its good enough to discourage anyone.. tongue
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by cococandy(f): 3:58pm On May 21, 2016
You forgot to add 'a wise woman buildeth her home'.
Jahblessme:
Culled from bella naija

1) Man: Be yourself. Do what you want.
2)Woman: Endure

25 years later:

Man: This marriage has been so sweet, delicious and lovely.
Woman: Endurance and tolerance are key in all marriages. You have to endure

grin grin
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Ishilove: 5:13pm On May 21, 2016
MrPresident1:

Jesus is the owner of the sceptre of authority, he is the only rightful ruler. When he comes, all the nonsense in the world will end cheesy

Comprehende now mon ami?
Errrm, issokkay...but how is it related to a 'jeunsoke' husband? undecided
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by PunterTim(m): 5:36pm On May 21, 2016
Creamish:

Its good enough to discourage anyone.. tongue
grin.That's laughable.

It motivates 'the others'.

Dheartless,don't lose heart,go on and get that lass..

It's a good thing she's creamy!
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Dheartless: 6:08pm On May 21, 2016
PunterTim:
grin.That's laughable.
this is my kind of guy .....yeah creamish is always a tasty status.
I promise to take every bit of your advice ......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Creamish(f): 3:16am On May 22, 2016
PunterTim:
grin.That's laughable.

Dheartless:

this is my kind of guy .....yeah creamish is always a tasty status.

I promise to take every bit of your advice ......

Lolz.. u guys r not serious. SMH.. Dont even bother.
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Blade21: 11:04pm On May 22, 2016
Acidosis:
I love you smiley cool
so you are online loving another we are done
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Acidosis(m): 6:30am On May 23, 2016
Blade21:
so you are online loving another we are done
shocked shocked

I can explain jor cheesy
Re: What Is African Marriage About And What Is It Values? by Nobody: 1:47pm On May 23, 2016
bukatyne:

What if you & some wonderful families grow your kids together and subtly mate your kids together?

grow kids together? how exactly does this happen?

I do know parents whose friends have kids and all the kids have play dates and all that. but life happens as they grow - relocation, schooling etc and if it's meant to be, it will be.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Make Your Home More Beautiful With Our "pandemic season" Promo / Woman Shares Amazing Testimony After Her Baby Survived A Freak Accident / Corrections Men Hate From Women!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.